Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,292 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

Nigeria, Ghana No Longer Giants Of African Football - Austin Okocha. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria, Ghana No Longer Giants Of African Football - Austin Okocha. (737 Views)

Austin Okocha At Camp Nou, Praises Nephew Alex Iwobi Against Barcelona / Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria, Ghana No Longer Giants Of African Football - Austin Okocha. by Syenite(m): 4:39pm On May 10, 2013
Austin Jay Jay Okocha says Ghana and Nigeria ought not to regard themselves anymore as giants in African football.

The Black Stars have not won any major title since winning its last Nations Cup in 1982 while Nigeria won their first Nations Cup title earlier this year – 19 years after winning their last title.

Despite both sides offering memorable performances at the world stage at the FIFA World Cup, the former Nigeria captain insists the real glory lies in winning titles.

“I think that both countries are going through a difficult time at the moment and in football, these things do happen,” he told Citi FM.

“However, I believe that we (Nigeria) are gradually getting out of the slump especially having won the last African Nations Cup in South Africa.

“It is all about being patient and trying to find where the problem is and finding a solution.

“For me, I think that both countries must humble themselves and accept that they are not what they used to be.

“Both Ghana and Nigeria call themselves the giants of African football, but look at how long it took Nigeria to win a Nations Cup trophy (after winning it in 1994).

“How can you be a giant of the sport when you are not consistent?”

Re: Nigeria, Ghana No Longer Giants Of African Football - Austin Okocha. by Tolexander: 4:51pm On May 10, 2013
Ghana is just living on the glory of those days years!

Better refering to them as the african english team!
Re: Nigeria, Ghana No Longer Giants Of African Football - Austin Okocha. by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 10, 2013
Tolexander: Ghana is just living on the glory of those days years!

Better refering to them as the african english team!
i dont think they are force to reckon with when it comes to african football. unlike cameroon, egypt and nigeria

(1) (Reply)

West Brom Willing To Sell Odewingwe / ............ / Nigerian Football Team Thrashed 67-0 Is Disbanded By Owner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.