Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,900 members, 7,806,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:21 PM

Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? (12672 Views)

Is A Car A Necessity? / Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings / Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by Nobody: 8:00am On May 11, 2013
I've noticed over time how the perception of people towards others change when they get a car-new, foreign used and nigerian used. It really doesn't matter the state of the car. The buyer starts hearing words like congratulations, we go wash am, you have arrived and all sorts.

Is getting a car really a success benchmark?

1 Like

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by unforgiven: 11:44am On May 11, 2013
Transportation, like housing, electricity, etc, is a major challenge in the Nigerian society. Always, your ability to resolve a major challenge shows that you have moved a notch up, in the society.

21 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 11, 2013
NOPE. BUYING A BICYCLE IS A SIGN OF SUCCESS

3 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by Libkid(m): 1:59pm On May 11, 2013
Lyk my papa would say if u want to get help 4rm ppl dont go get a car first.u knw y?? Cos ppl wil think dat u are rich and can handle all problem dat cums ur way

8 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 11, 2013
Libkid: Lyk my papa would say if u want to get help 4rm ppl dont go get a car first.u knw y?? Cos ppl wil think dat u are rich and can handle all problem dat cums ur way
dats tru
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by 25omega(m): 2:03pm On May 11, 2013
Nope. buying a car is taking on a liability.

4 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by reeeT(f): 2:04pm On May 11, 2013
Its not a sign of success, It is a necessity!

12 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by nairaman66(m): 2:05pm On May 11, 2013
Rhetorically, not having a car is not a sign of being poor or a failure!! #Mtcheew
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by flowers4me(f): 2:07pm On May 11, 2013
@ topic, not really.
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by bigfredondo(m): 2:07pm On May 11, 2013
inasmuch as we put so much value on material possession then things like buying a car is regarded as success. instead of pursuit of success, be a man of value.
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 11, 2013
In Nigeria, it creates an impression of success. Everyone will thibk u rich..not just cars but gadgets and expensive toys in general. Even if u get it as a gift.. people wld naturally take 2 it that u are rich
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by AdekunleBalogun: 2:08pm On May 11, 2013
If you know the extent at which some Nigerian go because they want to get a car sometimes surprises me. Fasting upon fasting, vigil upon vigil and thanksgiving upon thanksgiving... I wonder, do oyinbos do thanks giving when they bought a car or do they wash with different wines?...

5 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by bokunrawo(m): 2:09pm On May 11, 2013
No, itz d quality of ur house and how u take care of ur family dat shows hw rich u are

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by DEGREE2466(m): 2:11pm On May 11, 2013
it is not necessary a sign of success but it counts. for me my first achievement na toyota venza. lol

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by pato405(m): 2:19pm On May 11, 2013
To most Nigerian girls, YES it is!

7 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by zhirinmai(m): 2:21pm On May 11, 2013
4 Where
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by dridowu: 2:22pm On May 11, 2013
Buying cars does not mean success.
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by MMotimo: 2:22pm On May 11, 2013
No, it is not
An old song says "na wo, na wo, yato si olowo" that a person spends money, does not mean they are rich or that they have money.
Many times in Naija, the purchase of a car increases the poverty level for a person who cannot afford the maintenance
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by rodeo0070(m): 2:26pm On May 11, 2013
Materially, YES. It creates impression of success...
But I say this, It is not the buying of car that matters but the maintenance, cos you keep paying for the cost of car till the date you decide not to use it again.

6 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:27pm On May 11, 2013
A car is not a sign of success but it's a necessity
But in this part of the world, some dude ll buy a car immediately they v a small change, maybe it's just to show off or a case of misplaced priority.
------------------------
Last Bullet: How ll you explain the situation whereby someone with N3milion without a land, not to talk of owning a house now buying a car worth N2.5million & using the rest to rent a house without even thinking about investment.
Such a person ll create the believe of financial stability in the mind of the shallow minded ones. To me, that person is not successful.

3 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by 2legit2qwt: 2:29pm On May 11, 2013
Well sometimes, it depends on what type of car we're talking about here

3 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by FreeWill01: 2:34pm On May 11, 2013
2legit2qwt: Well sometimes, it depends on what type of car we're talking about here
On point!

1 Like

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by divinelove(m): 2:38pm On May 11, 2013
Success means reachin set goals in life. Its individual specific. If buyin a car is ur goal then u r successful @ reachin ur goal. D right question shld ve been if its a sign of wealth/riches. And to dt i say no.

1 Like

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by mysticgal(f): 2:44pm On May 11, 2013
the car is a liability,my dad sayz after women a car is the most expensive thing to take care of.

7 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by Rednose: 2:50pm On May 11, 2013
AdekunleBalogun: If you know the extent at which some Nigerian go because they want to get a car sometimes surprises me. Fasting upon fasting, vigil upon vigil and thanksgiving upon thanksgiving... I wonder, do oyinbos do thanks giving when they bought a car or do they wash with different wines?...

It's quite expensive to buy a car in Nigeria, unlike in some European countries or in the U.S, so when that car finally arrives you need to give thanks.
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by YuzedoII: 2:53pm On May 11, 2013
Op bro, I leave in Banana Island and drives a big jip. Some says am sucksessfool, but am so shy and humbull. Tenks. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by sniperwolf(m): 2:57pm On May 11, 2013
If you have a paying job, having a car is necessity NOT luxury

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by brilapluz(m): 2:57pm On May 11, 2013
..buying a car only gets U more expenses(car fuel,car maintenance,etc)..if U need 2 get a car as a necessity,den U must have d resources(an avenue dat generates income outside ur usual job) 2 meet a car's everyday challenges inspite of its obvious comfort!
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by lonelydora: 2:59pm On May 11, 2013
Buying a car is a neccesity. Buying a certain type of car(Performance Vehilces) is a sign of success.

5 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by brilapluz(m): 3:07pm On May 11, 2013
lonelydora: Buying a car is a neccesity. Buying a certain type of car(Performance Vehilces) is a sign of success.
Wrong..having an avenue dat takes care of d huge expenses of buyin a car or anyoda necessities like a house is a sign of success..witout several sources of income,U may find urself incurrin unnecessary expenses and into more debt!
Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by oses4u(m): 3:12pm On May 11, 2013
As 4 ♍ę, i have all d opportunity to get a nice car but i had to put d money in2 d business 3months ago dats paying of now plus i still get my monthly salary. B4 December, profit from dat business will be sufficient to buy a car for mysef and keep maintaining it without touching my salary. So i have enof cash to send home, maintain my car and plan 4more business as time goes. Hope i got my rite?

5 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? by youngchopper(m): 3:13pm On May 11, 2013
No be money dem dey take buy car. Its only the poor nairalanders dat will say shitz like this! So na to dey fly okada beta pass abi?? Can a poor man afford to buy and maintain a car? Developed countries transport system is organized datz yy dey dont care much about owning a car.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Avoid Truck Accidents / Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving / I’ve Sold 30 Stolen Vehicles – Engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.