Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt (2746 Views)

Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War / "They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt Group Says / "They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by backtosender: 11:46am On May 11, 2013
*We Are Not Part of Northern Nigeria.
**if it is time to make use of numbers, our population, they say yes we are relevant. After that; no we are no more relevant.'
**'Whenever there is riot in the north, it affects us. Our people run like any other southerner. When they killed youth corps members, they brought 2 to Kogi. So, if Kogi is north, then why is north burying their children?'

THE United Middle Belt Youth Congress (UMBYC), a group at the forefront of mapping out the North Central geopolitical zone as Middle Belt has lampooned the north for lining up soldiers from the zone against the Igbos during the Nigerian civil war.

They said the core north easily achieved this by exploiting the command structure of the military and manufacturing fear that Biafra is out to overrun them.

"We know the ignorant years that have passed when we went to war. When they mobilised us to war and told us 'ah they want to terminate you people. The Igbos are majority and in fact they are coming to swallow you people'"

"A lot of us went to the bush to fight. I know how many families of our brothers that we lost in that war. Not to talk about our other brothers, the Igbos who we went to fight ignorantly."

The president-general, Abuka Omababa disclosed this during a courtesy visit of the group to The Moment in Ogudu, Lagos recently saying that the hackneyed concept of 'one north' was also crafted with the connivance of the British to mislead the rest of the country into believing an existence of a gigantic and awesome 'north'.

He added that while it was disheartening enough that they were manipulated into a fratricidal war with the Igbo, the Hausa/Fulani 'were in Sokoto and Kano relaxing and watching the two of us kill each other.'

The group consequently declared that the days they were play-thing in the hands of 'the North' are over for good. They therefore extend a hand of fellowship to other ethnic nationality groups in Nigeria saying that 'without us there is no north; no Middle Belt, no North. If we remove ourselves they are disconnected from Nigeria. So we are the bridge. We have served as the bridge.'

The group said that serial cases of religious intolerance in the north are championed by the Hausa/Fulani who are moulded to perceive non-Muslim practitioners with distaste. They dissociated the Middle Belt from it saying they see others as members of a single humanity rather than with religious or other colourations.

'Prior to the coming of the British, we were occupying our land. We are democratic. We are freethinkers in our various nationalities. If you see a Langtang family; they may have one Muslim, one Christian and one pagan; they cohabit and you will not know the difference.'

'Whenever there is riot in the north, it affects us. Our people run like any other southerner. If you look at these youth corps members that were killed, they brought two to Kogi. So, if Kogi is north, then why is north burying their children?'

Though they blamed the British for grouping and lumping them together with the north, they were insistent that the Middle Belt is not north. Thus, they ask for the official regrouping of Nigeria where they are recognised as distinct federating unit.

'We want our identity to be known. We want to bear our name. We don't want to be covered again...we have the right to determine our own identity.... And we have decided that we are going to do it legitimately. We want to be officially regrouped as Middle Belt region.

'We have the Niger Delta that has been officially regrouped. They are minorities in the south like we are minorities lumped into the north.'

They maintain that gone are the days when they are used as a buffer to protect and comfort the north. They did not see any reason why they would only be used by the north to gather votes during election, and food during scarcity but discarded just as soon as the 'hegemonic' north is satisfied.

'Our resources and land remain closed under the northern Nigeria. And what they do is; if it is time to make use of numbers, our population, they say yes we are relevant. After that; no we are no more relevant.'

'Thanks to the struggle of June 12 which brought President Olusegun Obasanjo to power in 1999. While making appointments he brought General Victor Malu as Chief of Army Staff, Saliu Ibrahim and the rest, then, the north through late Alhaji Wada Nas rose and said that these people do not represent northern interest.

'It is a clear thing that we do not belong there. We want to be separate people, and so shall it be.'

They went on to reiterate their backing to the evolution of a fiscal federalism where the federating units will control the resources in their geographical sphere.

'Make the centre less attractive, so that if you are going there, it is for service. We from the Middle Belt, we will pay our taxes. They should leave Ajaokuta for us; they should leave all those gold, columbite, timber and other solid minerals found in the Middle Belt for us to develop our community.

'What we are saying is that they have concentrated too much power at the centre which is the reason everybody wants to kill others in order to get there. Every region will have to pay tax to the Federal Government.'

Then they upped the ante with some other bold demands.

'We said we need our own 13 per cent from electricity. We need 13 per cent from Ajaokuta, from solid minerals coming from Middle Belt, even from our food. If you see the level of farm work going on in the Middle Belt, you will see why we agitate for Farming Development Commission to provide modern equipment and health facilities.

'Give us also HYPODEC - Hydropower Development Commission - which Jonathan has already granted and signed into law but has not constituted the board.'

While tracing the history of their struggle for identity, they say that at great cost their progenitors like Ameh Oboni, David Lot and JS Tarka had kick-started this resistance which people like Paul Unongo had continued.

They say that while they remain in touch with their parent body - United Middle Belt Congress (UMBC) - they are determined to add youthful vigour to it, and facilitate the realisation of their dreams of emancipation from northern hegemony and resource control.

'The issue of Middle Belt identity started with the late Ameh Oboni and Attah of Igala. At the northern emirs' meeting, when the Sultan of Sokoto and the rest came, he was told to remove his cap; he said no that the Hausa/Fulani has never been commanders of Igala, and Igalas has never bowed down to them.

'So they threatened that they will show him where he belongs at the next meeting; he too retorted he will show them where they belong. At the next meeting, they insisted and forcefully removed his cap, from which emanated stinging bees that disrupted the meeting. All the emirs ran away except him. But that is the local way of struggling against the domination of the Hausa/Fulani.

'Late Dr. JS Tarka and Paul Unongo, because they were educated, brought it to international attention through the UMBC - United Middle Belt Congress of those days. So the struggle for Middle Belt identity has been on.

They added that when Usman Dan Fodio came with a jihad in 1804, he conquered Kastina, Sokoto and Kano but could not conquer the Lantang and the Birong peoples of Plateau. He was also said not to have defeated Taraba when the state comprised Igala, Jukuns and Tiv peoples.

'He could not conquer us. He could not conquer Middle Belt. So when the British were going they said that these people are difficult to conquer in war, so give them indirect rule system. Co-opt them through the Atta of Igala, through the Gbomgbom of Jos. That is how the British played us to the monolithic north' the group's president-general explained.

The Moment's Editor in charge of daily operations, Martin Azuwike who received the group urged them to continue in the part of non-violent struggle. He said that the nation has so much security concerns which if they resort to violence, Nigeria will have more than a mouthful to chew.

He also said the newspaper will always report their activities with a sense of balance and fairness to others. - United Middle Belt Youth Congress.

3 Likes

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by malc619(m): 12:05pm On May 11, 2013
Hmmm... Ok ooo
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by mekaboy(m): 12:38pm On May 11, 2013
You know how its going down 2015 pple. SS SE MB.

3 Likes

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Nobody: 12:48pm On May 11, 2013

This is fu'c'king hysterics. .who tricked them if I may ask even when the head of state was yakubu Gowon a christain from plateau state in north central Nigeria ? Nowadays,every group just come up with lies just to be relevant in Nigeria even if it means using propaganda !

3 Likes

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by kirian202: 12:53pm On May 11, 2013
Now it remain one RED OIL Soup group to say they regret why dey fight against Biafra
Make u no quote me cos as u dey read dis my post I dey on my way to market make I buy waiting I go use cook my fishless STEW tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by IB5(f): 12:54pm On May 11, 2013
And so what? They tricked u! ...
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 11, 2013
Medicine after death. mtscheeew! What a boring wet cold Saturday. "yawns "
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by dirifred(m): 12:57pm On May 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

This is fu'c'king hysterics. .who tricked them if I may ask even when the head of state was yakubu Gowon a christain from plateau state in north central Nigeria ? Nowadays,every group just come up with lies just to be relevant in Nigeria even if it means using propaganda !
did you border to reader? I think the post is clear and well presented

3 Likes

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by taharqa: 12:59pm On May 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

This isn't trickery of any sorts, it is FACTS. The idea of 'One North' is Gone; its been irrevocably Destroyed. That LIE has been called its proper name by those its was crafted to deceive. If 2011 didn't make it that clear enough; wait till 2015 to remove any such lingering doubts..

4 Likes

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 11, 2013
dirifred:
did you border to reader? I think the post is clear and well presented

Did you read this ?

They said the core north easily achieved this by exploiting the command structure of the military

Who is the commander in chief during the war ?
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by mekaboy(m): 1:08pm On May 11, 2013
kirian202: Now it remain one RED OIL Soup group to say they regret why dey fight against Biafra
Make u no quote me cos as u dey read dis my post I dey on my way to market make I buy waiting I go use cook my fishless STEW tomorrow

Lol, they can't say it, they are sitting on remote controlled bomb by the North. Once the button is pressed it will be over.

IT is only under gej administration that every group dey speak their mind. What have they been afraid of all this while?

Do you see the clear picture?

The IGBO man in charge of the army is backing gej, GEJ is backing all the regions that feel like speaking their mind.

There is a feeling of Equality in the air.

3 Likes

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by 1MCN: 1:17pm On May 11, 2013
Maybe it's true that

Th-re W-s A Co-nt-y

God bless Nigeria and Nigerains

1 Like

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 11, 2013
I think the lies have been around for too long...the center should be made less attractive and federating units should be allowed to conrol their resources and develop at their own pace like it was before 1966. The country should be called Common Wealth of Nigeria because as it is, we are not FEDERAL nor REPUBLIC and no one cares to ask why we are called Federal Republic of Nigeria. What is federal about us...what republic in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Dede1(m): 2:03pm On May 11, 2013
@POST

I am highly impressed by the courage of this group of young fellows who called themselves United Middle Belt Youth Congress (UMBYC). At least, they have accepted the act of foolishness perpetrated by their forbearers. However, it would have been nice if the UMBYC could be specific with certain references such as “they tricked us into fighting Igbo during the civil war”. Who are “they” in this phrase?

1 Like

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 11, 2013
"Where is the middle Belt?
Those who support this idea or concept define it to
include eight states of the federation, namely
Adamawa, Taraba, Niger, Kogi, Plateau, Nasarawa,
Benue, Kwara and the Federal Capital Territory.
Southern Kaduna, Borno and Gombe are also
regarded as part of it. In trying to re-assert itself
as an independent entity, the place has for long
become an alluring bride for many suitors,
conscious of the strategic part it plays in deciding
the outcome of an election"

Out of those states listed above. The states I see supporting Jonathan are Benue state and southern Kaduna. That's all. I pray Jonathan wins anyway so maybe this country can divide into 5 or 6 parts for good.

1 Like

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 11, 2013
Na today.?
The only believers in one Nigeria now that eye don clear everyone are the thieving politicians of all regions,core northerners and some Yoruba crooks
The ordinary citizens in the other areas are not being deceived any longer
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Tolexander: 5:25pm On May 11, 2013
Nigeria is now becoming a joke.
Interesting seeing different mushroom groups creating nuisance everyday thinking they are talking.

Yakubu Gowon, a northerner who was the president of nigeria tricked his fellow northerners to fight their enemy!
This is interesting!

Na so these people go talk to win the ndigbo's vote.
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by dayokanu(m): 5:28pm On May 11, 2013
Was it Yakubu Gowon a fellow middle Belter and Commander in Chief who tricked them

or was it Theophilus Danjuma owner of lots of oil blocks and another middle belter
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Dede1(m): 5:29pm On May 11, 2013
Tolexander: Nigeria is now becoming a joke.
Interesting seeing different mushroom groups creating nuisance everyday thinking they are talking.

Yakubu Gowon, a northerner who was the president of nigeria tricked his fellow northerners to fight their enemy!
This is interesting!

Na so these people go talk to win the ndigbo's vote.

As usual, they are going after Yoruba vote.
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Dede1(m): 5:32pm On May 11, 2013
dayokanu: Was it Yakubu Gowon a fellow middle Belter and Commander in Chief who tricked them

or was it Theophilus Danjuma owner of lots of oil blocks and another middle belter

Dayolodo

Have you not heard it was Awolowo with his gimmick free-education crap?
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by dayokanu(m): 5:35pm On May 11, 2013
It gets even more interesting

'We said we need our own 13 per cent from electricity. We need 13 per cent from Ajaokuta, from solid minerals coming from Middle Belt, even from our food. If you see the level of farm work going on in the Middle Belt, you will see why we agitate for Farming Development Commission to provide modern equipment and health facilities.

I support this, They should give them their own 13% from electricity and their resources too

Also its time for Lagos too to get 13% from the Port used
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by dayokanu(m): 5:36pm On May 11, 2013
Dede1:

As usual, they are going after Yoruba vote.

Check the way Yorubas vote

Yoruba voted Awolowo, Igbos voted Shagari

Yorubas voted MKO Igbos voted Tofa

Have you seen the way things are Dendemorron

1 Like

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by dayokanu(m): 5:38pm On May 11, 2013
Dede1: Dayolodo

Have you not heard it was Awolowo with his gimmick free-education crap?

Dendemorron, How weekend Good to see Ikenna never ban you again

You mean it was Awolowo in jail that led Gowon and Danjuma to lead the July 1966 counter coup to wipe out Ibgos?

WOnder shall never end
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 11, 2013
kirian202: Now it remain one RED OIL Soup group to say they regret why dey fight against Biafra

Hahahaha
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Dede1(m): 5:48pm On May 11, 2013
dayokanu:

Check the way Yorubas vote

Yoruba voted Awolowo, Ibos voted Shagari

Yorubas voted MKO Ibos voted Tofa

Have you seen the way things are Dendemorron

Yoruba have not voted for Igbo.
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by dayokanu(m): 5:54pm On May 11, 2013
Dede1:

Yoruba have not voted for Igbo.

When have Igbos voted Igbo

or better still which Igbo have the ballz to contest for presidency and not hide under their Masters bed in the name of Vice President

We have had Awolowo Olu Falae, MKO Abiola Obasanjo all having contested and won or came second

Tell us about out Igbo brothers who have mustered enough courage to face their Hausa masters
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Afam4eva(m): 6:07pm On May 11, 2013
dayokanu:

When have Igbos voted Igbo

or better still which Igbo have the ballz to contest for presidency and not hide under their Masters bed in the name of Vice President

We have had Awolowo Olu Falae, MKO Abiola Obasanjo all having contested and won or came second

Tell us about out Igbo brothers who have mustered enough courage to face their Hausa masters
Are you really serious or just joking. I guess when i present you with Igbos that have contested since 1999, you'll say they're not popular candidates. Make up your mind now.
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 11, 2013
dayokanu: Was it Yakubu Gowon a fellow middle Belter and Commander in Chief who tricked them

We all know that Gowon held power at the behest of Murtala Mohammed and his band of murderers and arsonists. When they got tired of him, they took "their" power back.
We are too enlightened to subscribe to your distorted version of history.

@ topic.. They should start by apologising to Ndigbo and acknowledging that there was a country.

4 Likes

Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by dayokanu(m): 6:15pm On May 11, 2013
Afam4eva:
Are you really serious or just joking. I guess when i present you with Igbos that have contested since 1999, you'll say they're not popular candidates. Make up your mind now.

Show us Igbos who have seriously contested and finished first or second in national elections

Not jesters like Olapade Agoro, Chris Okotie, Dele Momodu etc
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by dayokanu(m): 6:16pm On May 11, 2013
utumunta: We all know that Gowon held power at the behest of Murtala Mohammed and his band of murderers and arsonists. When they got tired of him, they took "their" power back.
We are too enlightened to subscribe to your distorted version of history.

@ topic.. They should start by apologising to Ndigbo and acknowledging that there was a country.

Murtala couldnt hold power for himself he needed Gowon to hold onto power for 9yrs before he could make up his mind and rule for 6 months

Lol retardeed thinking
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by Afam4eva(m): 6:18pm On May 11, 2013
dayokanu:

Show us Igbos who have seriously contested and finished first or second in national elections

Not jesters like Olapade Agoro, Chris Okotie, Dele Momodu etc
The reasons why they may not finish first or second is because the leading parties don't field Igbo candidates, so Igbos have to settle for deputy in those parties. The important thing is that Igbos have contested under other parties whether they came 6th or last shouldn't be an issue.
Re: They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt by dayokanu(m): 6:29pm On May 11, 2013
Afam4eva:
The reasons why they may not finish first or second is because the leading parties don't field Igbo candidates, so Igbos have to settle for deputy in those parties. The important thing is that Igbos have contested under other parties whether they came 6th or last shouldn't be an issue.

Waiting for the leading party to field you is quite lame.

What happened to building your own parties

Awolowo didnt wait for a Party, Olu Falae didnt wait either

BTW no one would consider you for top spot when you are contented with Vice President. Go read what Shagari an ordinary Grade 2 teacher said about Azikwe.

Like Awolowo said he would rather stand alone in opposition than be a ceremonial Vice whose responsibility ends at dressing like jesters watching Primary school students march on October 1 and saluting them like below

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soldiers Dug Hole To Enter Boko Haram Kingpin’s Home In Kaduna / Strange:- 700yrs old skeleton couple found holding hands photos, www..net / Breaking: ‘nigeria's Opposition Sponsoring Boko Haram’ - Stephen Davies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.