Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,469 members, 7,808,687 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get (26145 Views)

Most Annoying Things People Do On Planes / 10 Most Annoying Behaviours On Planes / List Of Nigerian Planes And Their Ages - Read This Before You Fly. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by Policewoman(f): 8:12pm On May 11, 2013
packaging: From shrinking seats to ever-dwindling in-flight amenities, the airline industry really earns its tightfisted reputation. But if you know what to ask for, you'll find that in-flight offerings are not quite as stingy as they seem. We asked author and former flight attendant Beth Blair for her tips on the free extras and services only available to those who know to ask.

So next time you're hit with a headache onboard or have a thirst that's going to take more than a glorified Dixie cup of soda to quench, know you can ask for—and most likely receive—a little onboard assistance.

Sanitizing Wipes
The stream of passengers passing through planes each day turns tray tables, armrests, and entertainment-system buttons into germ factories. If you'd like to clean your area before settling in, ask a flight attendant for a few sanitizing wipes; they often have them on hand, though it's not something most passengers know they can ask for.

The Whole Can
When you factor in the pile of ice that flight attendants load into those little plastic airline cups, you'll find you're not getting much liquid on each pass of the beverage cart. If you've got a thirst that's going to take more than a few tablespoons of soda to quench, consider politely asking your flight attendant for the whole can. Blair says that most of the time, they're happy to oblige. And if they can't—for instance, because the plane is low on cans or isn't getting restocked in the next city—flight attendants will still usually offer to simply come by again to refill your cup.

Wing Pins for Kids
Most airlines have cut free food and snacks for adults and kids, but many still offer little fliers wing pins to commemorate their flight. According to Blair, "The pilots usually don't have them though; it's the flight attendants who have them stashed somewhere in the cabin." Can you ask for a pin even if you don't have kids in tow? We don't know, but if you've tried, leave a comment below letting us know how it went!

Basic Medicines and Bandages
Whether it's for a headache from takeoff or lingering airport heartburn, many flights are stocked with basic medications such as painkillers and antacids. Blair says that, most of the time, flight attendants also have bandages on hand for minor cuts and that "if you're hurt, flight attendants are experts at making ice packs for injuries (either out of plastic bags or sick sacks)." Knowing this makes us wish flight attendants got merit badges.

Editor's Note: Some airlines may not allow their flight attendants to dispense over-the-counter medications. But if you need one, it never hurts to ask.

Water-Bottle Refills
As long as onboard supplies allow it, flight attendants are usually willing to refill your empty bottle of water for you. Blair says, "Most flight attendants are very generous with beverages." Since passengers who carry their own water bottles will have had to empty them before going through security at the airport, this added service can come in extra handy for the hydration-conscious.

Short-Term Babysitting
Parents flying alone with infants and small children have bladders too, and, happily, flight attendants are often more than willing to watch a baby or child for a few minutes while a parent runs to the bathroom or stretches his or her legs. "Watching babies was one of my favorite things to do in-flight," says Blair. "For safety reasons, most airlines ask flight attendants to sit in the aisle passenger seat so they're not standing and holding a baby."

Help Finding a Doctor
Almost all airlines train cabin crew to ask for medical assistance onboard, so if you've got a personal medical emergency, a flight attendant will be your best bet for quickly finding a doctor in-flight. On most airlines, that means the flight attendant will make an announcement over the loudspeaker, but Lufthansa has a program which gives doctors frequent-flier miles for identifying themselves to the airline in advance.

Seconds
Did the bag of tiny pretzels leave you peckish? If you're flying an airline with free snacks or meals, you can ask for seconds. If, after all passengers are served, there's extra, flight attendants are likely to grant your request. Blair says flight departure times can help you predict the likelihood of there being extra food: "On some flights it seems nearly all of the passengers pass on meals or snacks (such as late at night). Those flights are the best bet for getting seconds."

Help Switching Seats
Have a seat assignment that's got you sitting far from a travel companion? Flight attendants are often willing to help negotiate seat switches so you can sit together. They can help as long as there's time, says Blair, so if you're going to ask for help, do it soon after boarding. They may ask you to wait until everyone has taken their seats (or until you're at cruising altitude), but it's better to have your polite request on their radar for whenever they have a second.

Cockpit Tours
It may seem incredible given the concern about cockpit security, but if you ask, many pilots are more than willing to give mini cockpit tours before or after the flight. The best time for a visit is usually after a flight has landed, since that's when pilots tend not to be as rushed. Blair says, "Pilots love to get visitors, especially wide-eyed children. It makes their day to have the chance to show off their 'office.'"
I TRIED ASKING FOR THOSE IN A CHANCHANGI FLIGHT AND THE ATTENDANT SIMPLY HISSED AND WALKED AWAY undecided undecided
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by Nobody: 9:28pm On May 11, 2013
If this is true, then why didnt the pilot stop at ikorodu close to my house last time i used plane to Lagos
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 11, 2013
Policewoman: I TRIED ASKING FOR THOSE IN A CHANCHANGI FLIGHT AND THE ATTENDANT SIMPLY HISSED AND WALKED AWAY undecided undecided

Thats the general apathy to Nigerian police...were you on uniform

1 Like

Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by BecaciaBarbie(f): 10:42pm On May 11, 2013
na2day!:
Yes to the medicines! grin
I was on one of those long haul flights and i had a terrible case of Jedi-Jedi (the one that hooks your sacrum vertebrae and makes you, shout at intervals) grin
I don't even know, which medication to request for and I was ashamed to tell the hostess what was happening to me.

Naso i bone just and just asked for aspirin, she said there is no aspirin, but they have paracetamol.

That was the day i discovered that paracetamol dey cure jedijedi grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by mrlaw93(m): 10:58pm On May 11, 2013
Ok we ve heard.. Wat re the free tins on naija OMNI BUS popularly known as MOLUE ŋ∂ note @OP pls make sure U̶̲̥̅̊ add reference τ̣̣̥ọ̥ copied post that shows courtesy... ☺
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by diarra94(m): 2:40am On May 12, 2013
the best is air new zealand, the air hostesses are naked with only body paint. Im jst waiting for free BJ to be introduced.
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by Nobody: 8:21am On May 12, 2013
yuzedo: Op bro, did they hav FREE PUNNY CAPSULE on error plain?? Bro, cos even in Banana Ice land were am stay. Dey hav spesial taxxy dat giv punnys to passanger + free mowet shampain . Bro, we enjoy in Banana eyes land mennnn, allah!!!!! wink cool

u need go start primary 1
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by hardbody: 8:53am On May 12, 2013
know:

I was on an aero Lagos bound flight from Abuja in April and we were served snacks nd drinks onboard free of charge.And it was economy section.Seems,they av resumed in-flight meals once more

Good to know bro. I intend using them in a coupla days. I hope they have resolved all their staff welfare problems.
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by hardbody: 8:55am On May 12, 2013
diarra94: the best is air new zealand, the air hostesses are naked with only body paint. Im jst waiting for free BJ to be introduced.

....and you claim to be female abi?......
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:35am On May 12, 2013
justwise:

Parachute in a commercial airline? How will you set that up in emergency?
ItsModella:
na who be mumu? life jackets are usually under the plane seats. I don't think most planes include parachutes because the air hostesses never mention it.
u guys are gettin it wrong!
He said all he needs is a life jacket, and i am tellin him he be mumu because:

1. Life jacket won't even save u during a potential crash except if u gotta head for d sea!
grin even floatin on water is a nice thing for sharks grin

2. Parachutes are way better if it cld be made available!
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by Bamz(m): 1:18pm On May 12, 2013
kayci_d77: Please what about PARACHUTE, Nna menh odikwa very very important esp if you always patronize Diana airways lipsrsealed

Diana LOL
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by vivaciousvivi(f): 1:35pm On May 12, 2013
I traveled on Ethiopia airways in Jan and was surprised when a fellow passenger rejected the cup of sprite and asked for the whole can and got one. I was like eh hen! When I flew local from Lag to Abuja 2yrs ago and asked for extra fanta and was told albeit politely, that it won't be possible as they "didn't have enough". I guess one needs to try try and try again.

2 Likes

Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by Bamz(m): 2:10pm On May 12, 2013
kayci_d77: Please what about PARACHUTE, Nna menh odikwa very very important esp if you always patronize Diana airways lipsrsealed
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by seguno2: 3:25pm On May 12, 2013
Jarus: Others:

I take ear pieces without dropping
I go with magazines (if I see it is your copy in it e.g KLM)
Sometimes I go with the body cover (blanket)
I also go with eye cover (abi wetin be that thing wey Qatar and few others dey give to cover your eyes when sleeping)

Of course, all are legal.
cheesy

You should not go with items that the air hostess has asked you to return. QED.
Except if you ask them and they say CLEARLY that it is ok.

hardbody:

I thought I was the only one who noticed.
The poster must be a comedian or missed his/her calling if doing something else.

1 Like

Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by Jeezyy(m): 8:11pm On May 12, 2013
u can also open the window of the plane for fresh air. Tried it before and it was really refreshing. Only that, the air that came in was too much it almost blew me off
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by diarra94(m): 10:53pm On May 12, 2013
hardbody:

i am still tryin to figure out who i am
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by optimusprime2(m): 8:18pm On May 13, 2013
This should have made front page, good info@OP.
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by pomsky: 7:53am On Jun 22, 2015
packaging:
From shrinking seats to ever-dwindling in-flight amenities, the airline industry really earns its tightfisted reputation. But if you know what to ask for, you'll find that in-flight offerings are not quite as stingy as they seem. We asked author and former flight attendant Beth Blair for her tips on the free extras and services only available to those who know to ask.

So next time you're hit with a headache onboard or have a thirst that's going to take more than a glorified Dixie cup of soda to quench, know you can ask for—and most likely receive—a little onboard assistance.

Sanitizing Wipes
The stream of passengers passing through planes each day turns tray tables, armrests, and entertainment-system buttons into germ factories. If you'd like to clean your area before settling in, ask a flight attendant for a few sanitizing wipes; they often have them on hand, though it's not something most passengers know they can ask for.

The Whole Can
When you factor in the pile of ice that flight attendants load into those little plastic airline cups, you'll find you're not getting much liquid on each pass of the beverage cart. If you've got a thirst that's going to take more than a few tablespoons of soda to quench, consider politely asking your flight attendant for the whole can. Blair says that most of the time, they're happy to oblige. And if they can't—for instance, because the plane is low on cans or isn't getting restocked in the next city—flight attendants will still usually offer to simply come by again to refill your cup.

Wing Pins for Kids
Most airlines have cut free food and snacks for adults and kids, but many still offer little fliers wing pins to commemorate their flight. According to Blair, "The pilots usually don't have them though; it's the flight attendants who have them stashed somewhere in the cabin." Can you ask for a pin even if you don't have kids in tow? We don't know, but if you've tried, leave a comment below letting us know how it went!

Basic Medicines and Bandages
Whether it's for a headache from takeoff or lingering airport heartburn, many flights are stocked with basic medications such as painkillers and antacids. Blair says that, most of the time, flight attendants also have bandages on hand for minor cuts and that "if you're hurt, flight attendants are experts at making ice packs for injuries (either out of plastic bags or sick sacks)." Knowing this makes us wish flight attendants got merit badges.

Editor's Note: Some airlines may not allow their flight attendants to dispense over-the-counter medications. But if you need one, it never hurts to ask.

Water-Bottle Refills
As long as onboard supplies allow it, flight attendants are usually willing to refill your empty bottle of water for you. Blair says, "Most flight attendants are very generous with beverages." Since passengers who carry their own water bottles will have had to empty them before going through security at the airport, this added service can come in extra handy for the hydration-conscious.

Short-Term Babysitting
Parents flying alone with infants and small children have bladders too, and, happily, flight attendants are often more than willing to watch a baby or child for a few minutes while a parent runs to the bathroom or stretches his or her legs. "Watching babies was one of my favorite things to do in-flight," says Blair. "For safety reasons, most airlines ask flight attendants to sit in the aisle passenger seat so they're not standing and holding a baby."

Help Finding a Doctor
Almost all airlines train cabin crew to ask for medical assistance onboard, so if you've got a personal medical emergency, a flight attendant will be your best bet for quickly finding a doctor in-flight. On most airlines, that means the flight attendant will make an announcement over the loudspeaker, but Lufthansa has a program which gives doctors frequent-flier miles for identifying themselves to the airline in advance.

Seconds
Did the bag of tiny pretzels leave you peckish? If you're flying an airline with free snacks or meals, you can ask for seconds. If, after all passengers are served, there's extra, flight attendants are likely to grant your request. Blair says flight departure times can help you predict the likelihood of there being extra food: "On some flights it seems nearly all of the passengers pass on meals or snacks (such as late at night). Those flights are the best bet for getting seconds."

Help Switching Seats
Have a seat assignment that's got you sitting far from a travel companion? Flight attendants are often willing to help negotiate seat switches so you can sit together. They can help as long as there's time, says Blair, so if you're going to ask for help, do it soon after boarding. They may ask you to wait until everyone has taken their seats (or until you're at cruising altitude), but it's better to have your polite request on their radar for whenever they have a second.

Cockpit Tours
It may seem incredible given the concern about cockpit security, but if you ask, many pilots are more than willing to give mini cockpit tours before or after the flight. The best time for a visit is usually after a flight has landed, since that's when pilots tend not to be as rushed. Blair says, "Pilots love to get visitors, especially wide-eyed children. It makes their day to have the chance to show off their 'office.'"

[size=14pt].......one time i flew arik domestic flight, i was very thirsty and opted for water instead of juice, i then asked for a refill of water in those tiny disposable cups they give you water in, i was amazed at the attitude of the particular cabin steward that served, he just looked at me and vvveeerrryyyy reluctantly poured out another round of mini water for me. It was pretty annoying, but i just let the matter go! angry[/size]
Re: Free Things On Planes You Didn't Know You Could Get by tuscani: 8:07pm On Jul 13, 2015
good

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Customs Officers Cause Accident In Ogun State (Disturbing Photos) / Live Tracker Shows Nigerian Air Back To Regular Service For Ethiopian Airlines / Ugandan Man's Car Somersaults 3 Times. See What It Looks Like After The Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.