Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,496 members, 7,781,489 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:27 PM

Programming Competition In Nigeria - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Competition In Nigeria (3288 Views)

Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. / Apply For The Google Hash Code Programming Competition 2016 / Microsoft Programming Competition: Nigerian Students To Travel To Usa In July (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming Competition In Nigeria by damilareogunz(m): 7:45pm On May 11, 2013
Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie in programming and I need a motivation to continue.
Currently I've been learning a lot of languages such as HTML, PHP, C++, Javascript, C#, MySQL. They are all interesting and I don't know which to choose to specialize in or is it possible to be proficient in all them all.
I also want to ask if there's any programming competition organized in Nigeria for people to participate freely and not necessarily school participation. I mean individual registration and participation.
Thanks.
Damilare
Re: Programming Competition In Nigeria by CodeHouse: 12:34pm On May 14, 2013
Hi mate..if there is any such competition in Nigeria, trust me, you'd have heard of it. Here in Nigeria we spend Millions on entertainment, music and comedy, rather than working seriously on science and technology! Yes a little relaxation is needed at times as humans but "Nigerians" are totally carried away. Entertainment industry is gaining stronger ground and IT companies like glo,mtn and the likes prefer to give millions out to artiste...uffff! Well that's because they are getting returns from it anyway. Talking about which language to major in? Please any language that is relevant, in as much as it can solve today's problem. If I require BASIC to solve a problem, why use C#? Let the competition begin here..I will talk to the moderator to see how we can start one here..I actually thought of having a yearly programming competition here but I guess it all depends on moderators.

Let all creatures be happy

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition In Nigeria by damilareogunz(m): 6:02pm On May 14, 2013
Thanks Codehouse. I'm really impressed somone is actually interested in programming competitions in Nigeria too. V searched everywhere I've nt found but I feel it's a thing that shud be organized by Computer Science Associations in Nigeria to encourage real programmers not framework or code-copying programmers. But even if nobody starts it, I plan to start it in my school though I don't know how winners will be rewarded but I know it's possible and I'll do just that with God's grace..
Re: Programming Competition In Nigeria by CodeHouse: 7:02pm On May 14, 2013
Yea thanks..it is not a big problem starting such in your school.( 1. Categorize the entry, e.g Master, Intermediate and Beginners (2. Let it cover different aspect, such as Typing, Flowchart ,Algorithm, Utility, Database, Media, Graphics, etc so as to carry everyone along. (3. Dont think of awarding prizes, the fun of being the best in any category entered for is enough as a prize for any individual but if they want awards, then they should pay for forms.
Re: Programming Competition In Nigeria by damilareogunz(m): 11:13pm On May 16, 2013
Ok. that actually looks really big. I'm just in 200L and the organizing, sourcing and protocols might be tedious. Though I can start from a small level and go on to make it big sha and include other things. Me myself don't actually know all those stuff but there wud be ppl that can be talkd to. Thanks though. Appreciate.

(1) (Reply)

closed / Please, I Need Sharepoint Vendors In Nigeria / Nigerian Programmers Are Great

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.