Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,911 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? (3004 Views)

Why should I worship a 3 Headed God That Was Nailed On The Cross? / How KAKA A Footballer Is Impacting Millions With Christ / What Law Was Nailed To The Cross? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by DrummaBoy(m): 5:57pm On May 25, 2013
I am particularly irked by the likes of alwaystrue who recognizes justification by faith but says we must then continue to keep the law to remain in God's good books: ie, led by the Spirit.

They cannot understand an imputed righteousness; a done work @ the cross; Christ fulfilling the law; etc.

Proof that they are in bondage to their works and are seeking others to also be in bondage, is the fact that they cannot let others be themselves and serve God the way they understand him.

I came to the realization of the need not to tithe 3 months ago and I stopped. My wife does not understand it yet, so I cash her tithe for her from the ATM and encourage her to pay it: FREEDOM.

No one is God's police. You that think someone is breaking Moses laws, are you keeping it (in full) yourself?

I do not expect the dispute with pro-law folks to end in this life; it didn't end in Paul's time either.

*sits back and enjoys thread roll*

2 Likes

Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 25, 2013
brilapluz: @olire,i tink 4rm ur statement We r in agreement wit d new way christ saw d day of sabbath..furthermore,its 4 our spiritual upliftment dat we dont give up d 'fellowship of saints'..but dats my choice,i dont know about urs cos i want 2 believe U know dat our heart is now God's dwelling place not d buildin or structure dat we go 2 evry sunday..
yeah, well my point is that we should honor the sabbath day. because God told us to. I hope you know that the whole worshipped on sabbath. The roman empire changed it to sunday. Well you don't compulsorily have to go to a building but you should honor the sabbath.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Nobody: 6:07pm On May 25, 2013
DrummaBoy: I am particularly irked by the likes of alwaystrue who recognizes justification by faith but says we must then continue to keep the law to remain in God's good books: ie, led by the Spirit.

They cannot understand an imputed righteousness; a done work @ the cross; Christ fulfilling the law; etc.

Proof that they are in bondage to their works and are seeking others to also be in bondage, is the fact that they cannot let others be themselves and serve God the way they understand him.

I came to the realization of the need not to tithe 3 months ago and I stopped. My wife does not understand it yet, so I cash her tithe for her from the ATM and encourage her to pay it: FREEDOM.

No one is God's police. You that think someone is breaking Moses laws, are you keeping it (in full) yourself?

I do not expect the dispute with pro-law folks to end in this life; it didn't end in Paul's time either.

bros, hope you know that the ten commandments are not Moses' laws. They are God's handwritten law.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Alwaystrue(f): 6:13pm On May 25, 2013
DrummaBoy: I am particularly irked by the likes of alwaystrue who recognizes justification by faith but says we must then continue to keep the law to remain in God's good books: ie, led by the Spirit.
I think the only thing that irked you about me was that I was female and you basically referred to a law to try to keep me quiet.
I assume you now mean that once a believer gets born again, he can do as he pleases because he is already in God's good book.
Thankfully I showed scriptures whenever I posted.
For you information, faith, love and belief in Jesus Christ means a lot more than feelings, emotions or words often bandied about and with love, faith and belief in Christ the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in those who don't follow the flesh. The flesh and spirit are constantly at war so don't think because one is a Christian, he has overcome flesh permanently. It involves a whole lot more than you think.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Alwaystrue(f): 6:27pm On May 25, 2013
@Olire,
Read Exodus chapter 20 and Deuteronomy chapter 4&5 and you will see the ten commandemnts were not even written there. God Himself voiced it out direct to the Israelites without Moses telling them or reading it to them. It was after He said those commandments that the children of Israel cried that they did not want to hear God's voice so they won't die. After that Moses took over. Now love that is the fulfilment of the law is a whole lot more than people assume. The fruits of the Spirit are evidences of the spirit in the life of the believer, and with that there will not even be any argument about the law.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by brilapluz(m): 6:33pm On May 25, 2013
olire: yeah, well my point is that we should honor the sabbath day. because God told us to. I hope you know that the whole worshipped on sabbath. The roman empire changed it to sunday. Well you don't compulsorily have to go to a building but you should honor the sabbath.
well,i gues in our christian lives,we all hv choices and choices make or mar our destination..U hv certainly made ur choice and dat i respect..inasmuch as we mite hv differin views,i do regard U as a christian broda..God bless U!
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 25, 2013

No one can keep the LAW in the flesh, the LAW is fulfilled in Jesus Christ and if we abide in him and follow his steps he sustains us by his grace and we become pleasing to GOD. It is by grace we are saved through faith and not of ourselves, we were not saved because we kept the LAW, we were saved because the grace of GOD was revealed to us , all we then need to do is to live soberly and righteously in this world by the Power of the Spirit.

To bring us back under the legalistic religious pattern of dos and donts is very unbiblical and false.

However grace is not a license to sin , for if we sin willfully , we become law breakers by choice and will be judged and condemned if we do not repent.

The grace of GOD is not for willful sinners, it is for those who abide in the vine, those who give place to the words of Jesus in their heart , those who do not draw back etc.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by flourishG(m): 11:42pm On May 25, 2013
olire: bros, hope you know that the ten commandments are not Moses' laws. They are God's handwritten law.

Do u know what d ten commandments is called? 2cor3:7 n 9, ministry of death n condemnation. Do you know y? Find out n compare to d one dat has life in him.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:46am On May 26, 2013

righteousness can't be imputed without been infused that is what Calvin didn't understand. God doesn't just declare a sinner righteous, HE makes the sinner righteous
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Nobody: 6:03am On May 26, 2013
olire: bros, hope you know that the ten commandments are not Moses' laws. They are God's handwritten law.
The problem with Antinomian teachers is the arguement that Paul—and, indeed, the entire New Testament—taught believers that it is impossible to keep God’s 10 Commandments and that it is evil to say that God requires the believer to keep the 10 Commandments. Most of their anti-law arguments make use of this book of Galatians. These people try to put a spin on Paul’s words in order to twist their meaning. The apostle Peter warned about this. “Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, as also in all his epistles ... in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures” (2 Peter 3:15-16).
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Joagbaje(m): 6:34am On May 26, 2013
[quote author=maximunimpact]According to Col 1:14, Apostle Paul thought Christians dat they are nolonger under the law. ''The handwriting of ordinance written against us, which consisted of decrees and which was in opposition to us, and He(Christ) have taken it away nailing it to the cross.

He(Paul) also taught dat d law was our school teacher leading us to Christ. Jesus said: ''I did not come to break d law, I have come to fulfil dem.

The law was only abolished for justification. The law cannot make a man righteous, the law cannot bring salvation. But the principles if Gods kingdom are revealed in the law . Tithing ,praying,fasting,worship,,offering,alms giving ,honoring your parents etc all are kingdom principles. They are forever,

Ephesians 6:2-3
Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promisewink 3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

Why was Paul quoting the law here and other places . It's because the content of the law was not the problem. But the attachment to be justified by deed of the law is error

1 Like

Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by shdemidemi(m): 7:17am On May 26, 2013
Bidam: The problem with Antinomian teachers is the arguement that Paul—and, indeed, the entire New Testament—taught believers that it is impossible to keep God’s 10 Commandments and that it is evil to say that God requires the believer to keep the 10 Commandments. Most of their anti-law arguments make use of this book of Galatians. These people try to put a spin on Paul’s words in order to twist their meaning. The apostle Peter warned about this. “Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, as also in all his epistles ... in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures” (2 Peter 3:15-16).

Stop all these things you say..No other Jewish oriented apostle understood the gospel that Christ gave to Paul. If you hear Paul screaming to the church about anything, it was the teachings of the disciples. None of them understood it, Peter came to the conclusion that Paul was right at the end of his letter but still had his reservations. There is no excuse for a Christian to hold on to any law of Moses, you observe the will of God through your intuition based on the gospel of Christ and not through laid down ritual absolutes.

2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Remember the church is a gentile church and these laws were not for them in the first place, it was for the Jews. We were brought to Christ through the spirit and the scripture says 'the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation' therefore there is power to transform anyone in this gospel towards salvation without visiting the Judaism end.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 26, 2013
flourishG:

Do u know what d ten commandments is called? 2cor3:7 n 9, ministry of death n condemnation. Do you know y? Find out n compare to d one dat has life in him.
WAIT A MINUTE!!! Do you steal?, do you commit adultery?, do you bow down to other gods?, am sure you disregard the sabbath? Do you bear false witness? Do you covet your neighbours wife? So since it brings condemnation, do you disregard it. What paul means is that by our own strenght we can't keep the commandment. But through the grace of God, the holy spirit will help us to keep them. The ten commandments and the ceremonial laws of moses are on a different level. If Paul says you should disregard what GOD almighty said by him self, what he wrote, THEN I THINK YOU SHOULD DISREGARD PAUL. We serve God not Paul. If you can point me any other apostle that said we should disregard GOD'S OWN HANDWRITTEN LAW!!! Then i'll keep quiet.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 26, 2013
shdemidemi:
you observe the will of God through your intuition based on the gospel of Christ and not through laid down ritual absolutes.
is thou shall not steal a ritual? Is honor you father and mother a ritual? Is thou shall not commit adultery a ritual? Is worsip no other god a ritual? Is is honor the sabbath day a ritual? Is make no graven image a ritual? Gy please know the difference btwn 10 commandments and the ceremonial law. You are talking abt ceremonial laws, ARE YOU CIRCUMCISED?:@
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Zikkyy(m): 4:00pm On May 26, 2013
olire: is thou shall not steal a ritual? Is honor you father and mother a ritual? Is thou shall not commit adultery a ritual? Is worsip no other god a ritual? Is is honor the sabbath day a ritual? Is make no graven image a ritual? Gy please know the difference btwn 10 commandments and the ceremonial law. You are talking abt ceremonial laws, ARE YOU CIRCUMCISED?:@

You miss the point. I don't think they are saying we are now allowed to kill. The man said those rules still hold (I.e. the commandment not to kill), but you now do it by intuition. I think the difference here is that in Christ you respond to the will of God in a different way. The content of the 10 commandment still hold, but adherence is no longer based on the requirement/command to obey. In other words, not killing is not because there is a rule that says don't kill, It's now because your heart says It's wrong to kill or you can say it hurts you even more when you take the life of another.

From that perspective one can say the 10 commandment no longer applies.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 26, 2013
Zikkyy:

You miss the point. I don't think they are saying we are now allowed to kill. The man said those rules still hold (I.e. the commandment not to kill), but you now do it by intuition. I think the difference here is that in Christ you respond to the will of God in a different way. The content of the 10 commandment still hold, but adherence is no longer based on the requirement/command to obey. In other words, not killing is not because there is a rule that says don't kill, It's now because your heart says It's wrong to kill or you can say it hurts you even more when you take the life of another.

From that perspective one can say the 10 commandment no longer applies.
but there is one part of the ten commandments that is being ignored.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Zikkyy(m): 5:10pm On May 26, 2013
olire: but there is one part of the ten commandments that is being ignored.

Which part?
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 26, 2013
Zikkyy:

Which part?
the fourth.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by 5solas(m): 5:36pm On May 27, 2013
I think we should try to understand this simple point; Paul was not against the keeping of the law perse, he was against the keeping of the law as a mean towards justification (salvation,if you please).

1 Like

Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by gise: 6:08pm On Oct 19, 2014
The law was given to Israel not the world. The law was given for the land of Canaan. The law was to be eternal
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Kingdompartaker: 5:06pm On Oct 21, 2014
1 TIM 1:3-10 (KJV)

3: As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

4: Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in Faith: so do.

5: Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

6: From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;

7: Desiring to be teachers of the LAW; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

8:But we know that the LAW is good, if a man use it LAWFULLY;

9: Knowing this, that the LAW is not made for a RIGHTEOUS MAN, but for the LAWLESS and DISOBEDIENT, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

10: For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for lairs, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine:

For as many that choose to follow the LAW: know that you have fallen from GRACE.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by jdilight(m): 5:12pm On Oct 21, 2014
ayoku777:
We need to stop using semantics and ambiguous english to confuse ourselves. Law is law, whether ordinances or commandments, whether ceremonial or moral. Law is law. Jesus didnt divide them into compactments, so when Jesus fulfilled the law he fulfilled all and brought it to pass. Now we should just be led of the Holy spirit, and even though when the spirit leads us we also do many things that were advocated by the law, that doesnt mean he leads us by the law or helps us obey the law. The spirit helps us manifest the life of Christ.

Do you know the bible itself is law. If you are reading the bible you are reading the law.
Re: The Law Was Nailed With Christ, Why Hold On To Some? by Kingdompartaker: 5:41pm On Oct 21, 2014
Is the BIBLE engraven in stones or the law of commandments contained in ordinances:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When You Cannot Buy Or Sell Without The Mark / Permission To Use Our Brains 'O' Man Of GOD. / The Quatrodeciman Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.