Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:05 PM

Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? (45595 Views)

See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) / How Do I Travel Back To Nigeria With My Baby? / Can I Travel To Trinidad And Tobago Visa Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 12, 2013
Pls dont be a stoaway on cargo ship o, cause if the crew catch u mid journey sorry will be ur name. Stowaways get thrown overboard.

1 Like

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Coldblooded(m): 3:02pm On May 12, 2013
My hands no dey o! Anybody wey dey support dis suicide mission nobi better person.

Even if u survive d journey, just think of it, u spent 3-4months for water with all d dangers and u survived but as u dey enter d US without visa, 1st place u go visit na jail and after jail u dey follow any available flight back to Naija.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Buc(m): 3:12pm On May 12, 2013
But honestly, it should be that once you have gotten visa, however you manage to get to the place shouldn't matter. Whether you beg somebody for a lift in his personal jet, use your own canoe, follow oil tanker or cargo ship, drive, hide inside somebody luggage or somebody lap you, walk or swim or even catch a jet stream, how you get there shouldn't matter, just let immigration know when you are going and when you arrive. People, stop insulting the guy. Some fly basically because it seems thats the only means. Me no go lie, I'm afraid of flying.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Bwaal(m): 3:24pm On May 12, 2013
BabaAlabi: See wetin JAMB dey cause....
lwkmd
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by ablyguy(m): 3:28pm On May 12, 2013
dannysteve99@ya:
Same here. Really God is not awear of this his plean.

And you know that because you had a conversation with God?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by slap1(m): 3:41pm On May 12, 2013
I hope you're not running away from something. But don't worry, with God all things are possible.
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by MsSantaClaus(f): 3:54pm On May 12, 2013
temiosunrinde: Hi nairlanders,
i really need a detailed info on how to travel by sea from Lagos to united states of america by sea . I want to know how much it costs and what it entails because google has failed to provide info on this all am seeing is air air air air air....

What does it entails to travel to Los Angeles by sea and how much, where can one find those shipping people>>>>

Please sensible replies alone from adults kids please stay off this thread thanks alot

Hi @temiosunrinde, the main problem you have is that for some years now, there have been no passengers ships operating either to or from Nigeria. There used to be in the 50's and early 60's I know because my uncles travelled this way to and from the united states, and I think most people coming and going to the US in those days did the same. The only way you can do that now, is to board the ship in another country where they do operate passenger cruises. Europe and maybe Egypt and South Africa. Dubai recently started operating pleasure cruises, with luxury Cruise liners such as the Royal Caribean. I was on one of those November 2011, it was an awesome experience and don't mind anyone here, not dangerous at all. But I must tell you that you must obtain all the requisite visa's and travel permits before you can even complete your booking. That is because the ship doesn't go straight to one country, but stops at many countries before the journey is over. You are meant to leave the ship at each country, look around, shop and sight see. It's also cheaper than going by plane to all these countries. It's like being in a luxury hotel on water, and almost everything is pre paid ( food and drink). If its something you want to do for fun, then it's an awesome experience , so go for it, On the other hand if its for the "Andrew" reason , then I'm not so sure at all.

9 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by tellwisdom: 3:59pm On May 12, 2013
temiosunrinde: And your papa too
Hunger don finish you for naija, u wan come run leave your wife and children for nigeria...Na fish belle you go end sad

2 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by tdbanks: 4:10pm On May 12, 2013
if you have multiple lives, yes; if you have just one life, no. Have I answered your question?
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by confidant: 4:12pm On May 12, 2013
@OP if this is not a joke then before you can travel by sea to USA legally, you must meet the following requirementh:
1. Get a seaman CD1 visa to US.
2. You must be covered by insurance.
3. You must have done seamen mandatory courses.
4. Cruise liners would be your best bet unfortunately we do not have this in Nigeria.
5. You will not have any cargo ship that that would carry out this task Without a compromise.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by whatzbyafria(m): 4:14pm On May 12, 2013
Cold blooded: My hands no dey o! Anybody wey dey support dis suicide mission nobi better person.

Even if u survive d journey, just think of it, u spent 3-4months for water with all d dangers and u survived but as u dey enter d US without visa, 1st place u go visit na jail and after jail u dey follow any available flight back to Naija.
GBAM!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by dasparrow: 4:14pm On May 12, 2013
tellwisdom:
Hunger don finish you for naija, u wan come run leave your wife and children for nigeria...Na fish belle you go end sad

LOL grin Chei!
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Ugo50: 4:24pm On May 12, 2013
Sorry bro
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by mistiff007(m): 4:30pm On May 12, 2013
1,You need to secure CD1 sailors Visa,
2,Solid arrangements/connection with L.A Bound Ship
3.Canned foods & quarter bag of Gaari.
4.Winter Jackets & weatherproof boots
5.Quality anti-biotics(with prescription documents)
6.Camera
7.PLEASE & PLEASE be sure that the sailors/Captain are not HOMOSEXUALS
Have a nice trip. grin

2 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Cdspencer(m): 4:34pm On May 12, 2013
dis op dey watch too much american movie

2 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by dulphines: 4:39pm On May 12, 2013
@OP, i guess you have forbia for flight just like i do and hence you want an alternative means of travle (I may be wrong). I don't think there'r cruise ships to and from West Africa, so u might just try flying. Take enough champaigne on-board, get high and sleep. I learn't that's what some people with flight forbia do. I'v never travld out of Nigeria and i may not do except i have 2 board Airforce 1 if all i see in movies abt it is real. grin
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Originalsly: 4:45pm On May 12, 2013
I've not read all the comments but this my say. Cruise ships are the ones that carry passengers.I don't know of any operating between Nigeria and the US.Next...cargo ships which do operate between Nigeria and the US.You would need to be working on the ship to travel. If it is going to the US, you will need a special visa from the US consulate.If not I guess you will have to sneak on to the ship...be a stowaway...and keep out of sight of the crew. If they catch you they will lock you up on board until they get to the port before turning you over to the local police or hmmm...they can throw you overboard. If you are very desperate, then you can always set out like Christopher Columbus and hope for the best...when the Coast Guard approaches you will know you are in US waters...or...who knows...you may discover a whole new world!

2 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 12, 2013
ablyguy:

And you know that because you had a conversation with God?
Ok carry go, eyanga dey sleep trouble won wake am.Ur life matter to nigeria if u no know.Instead let all nairalander donate 10euro so that u can take flight. Na beg i dey beg u. Am talking with expirence.Even to europe self is nt easy talkless of US.
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by lonelydora: 5:20pm On May 12, 2013
Go and ask those Canoe people at Oron......but before that, show who is your next of kin(if you have one)
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by caustical: 5:20pm On May 12, 2013
Why do people answer questions with such a diminutive IQ? if they know there is no valuable contribution, why can't they hush their mouths. The dude ask for a simple question, and I don't think there is any reason for that to bring insults. Who knows he could be aviophobia, or is it a crime to wanna experience some adventures?

4 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by tlops(m): 5:29pm On May 12, 2013
hello Mr Robinson Crusoe:
I'll advice you to read that book before your journey starts.

excerpt...
"My father, a wise and grave man, gave me serious and excellent counsel against what he foresaw was my design. " what is your reason, more than mere wandering inclination, to leave your father's house and your native country via the turbulence sea.

if you insist: go to wharf and check with any of the shipping agencies around there, there might be one to offer you a cabin aboard. it will however be boring because this means of transportation is not effective from Nigeria. please do not attempt stowaway!!!

2 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by caustical: 5:32pm On May 12, 2013
MsSantaClaus:

Hi @temiosunrinde, the main problem you have is that for some years now, there have been no passengers ships operating either to or from Nigeria. There used to be in the 50's and early 60's I know because my uncles travelled this way to and from the united states, and I think most people coming and going to the US in those days did the same. The only way you can do that now, is to board the ship in another country where they do operate passenger cruises. Europe and maybe Egypt and South Africa. Dubai recently started operating pleasure cruises, with luxury Cruise liners such as the Royal Caribean. I was on one of those November 2011, it was an awesome experience and don't mind anyone here, not dangerous at all. But I must tell you that you must obtain all the requisite visa's and travel permits before you can even complete your booking. That is because the ship doesn't go straight to one country, but stops at many countries before the journey is over. You are meant to leave the ship at each country, look around, shop and sight see. It's also cheaper than going by plane to all these countries. It's like being in a luxury hotel on water, and almost everything is pre paid ( food and drink). If its something you want to do for fun, then it's an awesome experience , so go for it, On the other hand if its for the "Andrew" reason , then I'm not so sure at all.

The most reasonably contribution so far. I see that most nigerians never take vacation and try to experience some adventure in their life. @mssantaclaus, if I may ask, how much does the trip cos U and where was yur departure and arrival. From yur experience, I can see that it was funfilled and I will really like to experience same in the nearest future.
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by supaeagles(m): 5:33pm On May 12, 2013
if you decide to use ship, please becareful of somali pirates too.... shocked
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by tlops(m): 5:40pm On May 12, 2013
Cold blooded: My hands no dey o! Anybody wey dey support dis suicide mission nobi better person.

it doesn't take that long. what if your visa expires before you dock?

1 Like

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by ghananotnaija(m): 5:47pm On May 12, 2013
It's actually free if you're a good swimmer. It seems like you want to go to the West Coast of the United States, say Los Angeles.

Ok, so from Lagos, swim southwest across the Atlantic until you hit South America. Then swim south along the coast of South America until you reach Tierra del Fuego on the southernmost end of South America. Swim through the straight of Magellan until you hit the Pacific Ocean. When you're in the Pacific, swim due north until you hit California. The entire journey will take around 5 years.
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Summersland(m): 5:54pm On May 12, 2013
Gai,is 2 dangerous oooo jst becareful
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by ojjp: 5:55pm On May 12, 2013
FreeWill01: Check well, the OP is from your village

F9. Pls try again
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Xtranoble: 5:59pm On May 12, 2013
wbankz: See wetin dey make front page nw 4 nairaland!!! Nawa o o 4dis seun self. Beta topics full ground o
which one is better topic? I was thinking about this too. Its educative, or are you not learning?
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by stylesco: 6:01pm On May 12, 2013
tlops: hello Mr Robinson Crusoe:
I'll advice you to read that book before your journey starts.

Rflmao grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by MsSantaClaus(f): 6:03pm On May 12, 2013
caustical:

The most reasonably contribution so far. I see that most nigerians never take vacation and try to experience some adventure in their life. @mssantaclaus, if I may ask, how much does the trip cos U and where was yur departure and arrival. From yur experience, I can see that it was funfilled and I will really like to experience same in the nearest future.

Thanks @Caustical, yes the trip was amazing. I don't know why people are saying that travel by sea is dangerous, from my experience, it's safer than going by land or air and infinitely more rewarding and interesting. Our journey started by taking a flight from Lagos to Dubai, then a drive to the Port to board the ship. As I said , Dubai is quite new in the leisure Cruising business, but as with most things they do, all was impressive and well done.

You have to go through thorough immigration and Customs at the Port and the Security is second to none.

Our Cruise Ship which was "The Brilliance of the Seas", was huge, 13 stories high, with 3 swimming pools and so much entertainment facilities it was unbelievable to believe you were actually in a moving ship. We sailed from Dubai at 6 pm and visited Oman, Fujairah, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain then back to Dubai in 8 days. You can check it out here for all the facilities and itinerary ~ www.royalcaribbean.com. The price varies depending on the type of room, no of passengers in your group and if you include pre paid entertainment .
Everything on board is free except things like spa treatment and alcohol, all else is free, there is even a night club .
Food and drink is absolutely free and when I say free, believe me, it is something else! DefinitelySomething to put on your" bucket list" wink

2 Likes

Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by Nobody: 6:08pm On May 12, 2013
I can as well pay you to do that for me
Policewoman: Go to Nigerian Ports Authority and ask them. Stop bothering us here.
Re: Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much? by richling77(m): 6:17pm On May 12, 2013
He can always go by cargo ships which comes with few benefits as its a greenest form of travelling. You for a small part of the container ship. Thε reason being cargo is because cruise ships don't go far as you want to go which is travelling across thε continents. The captains allow you to wine and dine with them along with their officers so if you are good with making contacts I bet you can be exposed to alot of sea businesses. Thε list of sea business is endless though. You have a cubicle to yourself and you can always have a taste of the captains remains(women) taken with them to sail but thε truth is its far costly than air unlike you have stated here. Reasons are: you stay on board like you are lodging, meals for days, you have access to many facilities and the shipping company know you are on for an adventure. Thε cargo ship accommodate 12 or fewer passengers and a doctor is required. All these add up to your cost as you can see. Check the websites below for info on bookings.
www.freightercruises.com www.travltips.com www.cma-cgm.com www.hamburgsued-frachtschiffreisen.de www.safemariner.co.ukwww.rickmers-linie.de (Rickmers-Linie with
cargo ship travel routes around the world)

i.meller:
Firstly, you shouldn't think of sea travel as a way to beat an air fare - it isn't. Unlike flying, it can be a richly rewarding experience. You should expect to pay a minimum of about $1,500 per person each way, depending on the route and the cabin.

Sea travel is only cheaper than flying when you consider the many days you will spend on board (which has to be compared to a hotel stay ashore) with three full meals a day and a private cabin. And drinks on board cargo ships are not only tax and duty free, but also profit free (what is call bonded stock).

You can search for Lucan Travel cruise line and write them an Email.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Proposed New Look Of International Airport Road, Lagos (Photo) / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us / PHOTOS: Why Lagos Is The Craziest City In World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.