Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,475 members, 7,808,723 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife (1013 Views)

The Life And Times Of 'Jesu Oyingbo' (Jesus Of Oyingbo) / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 10:15am On May 12, 2013
Many religious people have asked this question - What do atheists live for? Well, we all have different views, but a general answer is presented in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emso122BNW8&feature=youtu.be

Another religious person asked atheists

The religious person:
I just want to know how can you live without a God? Do you ever feel like your life is not enough without a religion? I just do not know how you guys can do it, because if I learned that everything I believed in since I was born was a lie, I would kill myself. Why should I live when there is no hope or love in the world?

Answers from Atheists:

Dave Hitt: When I was around 20 I did learn that nearly everything I believed in was a lie, which I had suspected for quite some time. I didn’t kill myself as I felt more alive, more full of joy and potential than I ever had before.

flagellant: Your question is biased in the extreme and I find it difficult to give you a civil answer. You seem to be saying three things:
1. Your life is nothing without religion.
Speaking personally, I found religious indoctrination so offensive and limiting that I determined to throw it off when I could, some fifty years ago. My life became much more meaningful when I did this: I didn’t have to put up with the superstitious nonsense I was being taught at Sunday School.
2. You find it surprising that people can live perfectly normal lives with neither God nor religion.
3. You would kill yourself if you were to discover that everything you believe in is a lie.
Are you really serious about that? All the 'god’ and 'religion’ stuff that you espouse is so ill-founded that yours is a foolish assertion: there is not the slightest evidence for 'god’ and, indeed, such as there is is rather against it. Perhaps you mean 'the only way you have to describe the depth of your belief is to say you would kill yourself if you were to find it false.’ That’s not much of an argument, though, is it?

Eric_PK: I’ve heard this question from theists often, but I’ve never understood it.
There are tons of things that give life meaning. Having a family. Helping people out. Leaving the world a better place. Part of being an adult is figuring that out for yourself.
I frankly think it’s a little pathetic if you can’t find anything good in life other than religion.
As for being upset after finding out that people have been lying to you for years, most atheists go through that.

Reed Braden:I’m actually happier as an Atheist than I ever was as a Baptist.
When I realized that everything I was taught in church was a lie, I shrugged it off: The people who taught it to me believed it completely, so they weren’t intentionally lying to me, plus Bible knowledge (while I studied it for years and knew a great deal about the Bible) comprised such a small fraction of everything I knew about the world and the universe in general, so I wasn’t losing much.
Also, if you would kill yourself after learning that the divinity of Jesus is a myth, what did you do when you learned the truth about Santa Clause. (Please tell me you already know about Santa Clause.)

George Ricker:In answer to the question you asked, here’s an excerpt from my book, Godless in America:
“... we atheists find meaning in our lives in many of the same ways theists find meaning in theirs. We find it in the relationships we have with family and friends and in the interactions we have with society as a whole. We find it in the joys of creativity, the satisfactions of productive work, the pleasures of sensual gratification, and the challenges of intellectual pursuits of all kinds. We find it in the appreciation of the world around us and of the beauty created by other human beings. We find it in all sorts of ways that are made no less valid or less rewarding by the absence of belief in a deity. All of these things make our lives meaningful. None of them requires god-belief as a precondition.”
Speaking only for myself, I can state that once I had stopped living under the influence of gods and religions, I felt like someone who has just recovered from a long, lingering illness. It was as though I had emerged from a fog that had clouded my mind and made it impossible to see the real world as it really was. It’s a state of mind that I can recommend without hesitation.

Ask The Atheists

Life as an atheist is the best life there is, for only then do you achieve full humanity and exploit your mental capacity.
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by bolaino(m): 10:56am On May 12, 2013
I honestly feel pity for atheists, I do, smh, it must be hard being an atheist innit?
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by Nobody: 10:59am On May 12, 2013
bolaino: it must be hard being an atheist innit?

Why do you think it is hard?
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 11:02am On May 12, 2013
bolaino: I honestly feel pity for atheists, I do, smh, it must be hard being an atheist innit?

atheists are the happiest people I know of.

The lies that the religious propagate about internal happiness is nothing but the kind of happiness you have when you are drunk.
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by bolaino(m): 11:17am On May 12, 2013
ooman:

atheists are the happiest people I know off.

The lies that the religious propagate about internal happiness is nothing but the kind of happiness you have when you are drunk.
and the fool says in his heart that there is no God, smh, I guess u guys should start celebrating april 1st, as your holiday, since u guys don't celebrate, christmas or any other religious feast.
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 11:20am On May 12, 2013
bolaino: and the fool says in his heart that there is no God, smh, I guess u guys should start celebrating april 1st, as your holiday, since u guys don't celebrate, christmas or any other religious feast.

we have new year
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by bolaino(m): 11:53am On May 12, 2013
ooman:

we have new year
hahahaha, ooman, talk true make devil shame, so u no dey chop christmas rice?
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 12, 2013
bolaino: and the fool says in his heart that there is no God, smh, I guess u guys should start celebrating april 1st, as your holiday, since u guys don't celebrate, christmas or any other religious feast.

What is the meaning of this rubbish? Is celebrating religious feasts the only source of happiness in life? mtshew
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:57pm On May 12, 2013
Without God in me, Im happy
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:59pm On May 12, 2013
bolaino: hahahaha, ooman, talk true make devil shame, so u no dey chop christmas rice?

Is christmas the day set to honour Jesus or some Roman Pagan gods?

#zombie claiming to be happy

2 Likes

Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by kambo(m): 5:56pm On May 12, 2013
ooman: Many religious people have asked this question - What do atheists live for? Well, we all have different views, but a general answer is presented in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emso122BNW8&feature=youtu.be

Another religious person asked atheists

Answers from Atheists:

Dave Hitt: When I was around 20 I did learn that nearly everything I believed in was a lie, which I had suspected for quite some time. I didn’t kill myself as I felt more alive, more full of joy and potential than I ever had before.

flagellant: Your question is biased in the extreme and I find it difficult to give you a civil answer. You seem to be saying three things:
1. Your life is nothing without religion.
Speaking personally, I found religious indoctrination so offensive and limiting that I determined to throw it off when I could, some fifty years ago. My life became much more meaningful when I did this: I didn’t have to put up with the superstitious nonsense I was being taught at Sunday School.
2. You find it surprising that people can live perfectly normal lives with neither God nor religion.
3. You would kill yourself if you were to discover that everything you believe in is a lie.
Are you really serious about that? All the 'god’ and 'religion’ stuff that you espouse is so ill-founded that yours is a foolish assertion: there is not the slightest evidence for 'god’ and, indeed, such as there is is rather against it. Perhaps you mean 'the only way you have to describe the depth of your belief is to say you would kill yourself if you were to find it false.’ That’s not much of an argument, though, is it?

Eric_PK: I’ve heard this question from theists often, but I’ve never understood it.
There are tons of things that give life meaning. Having a family. Helping people out. Leaving the world a better place. Part of being an adult is figuring that out for yourself.
I frankly think it’s a little pathetic if you can’t find anything good in life other than religion.
As for being upset after finding out that people have been lying to you for years, most atheists go through that.

Reed Braden:I’m actually happier as an Atheist than I ever was as a Baptist.
When I realized that everything I was taught in church was a lie, I shrugged it off: The people who taught it to me believed it completely, so they weren’t intentionally lying to me, plus Bible knowledge (while I studied it for years and knew a great deal about the Bible) comprised such a small fraction of everything I knew about the world and the universe in general, so I wasn’t losing much.
Also, if you would kill yourself after learning that the divinity of Jesus is a myth, what did you do when you learned the truth about Santa Clause. (Please tell me you already know about Santa Clause.)

George Ricker:In answer to the question you asked, here’s an excerpt from my book, Godless in America:
“... we atheists find meaning in our lives in many of the same ways theists find meaning in theirs. We find it in the relationships we have with family and friends and in the interactions we have with society as a whole. We find it in the joys of creativity, the satisfactions of productive work, the pleasures of sensual gratification, and the challenges of intellectual pursuits of all kinds. We find it in the appreciation of the world around us and of the beauty created by other human beings. We find it in all sorts of ways that are made no less valid or less rewarding by the absence of belief in a deity. All of these things make our lives meaningful. None of them requires god-belief as a precondition.”
Speaking only for myself, I can state that once I had stopped living under the influence of gods and religions, I felt like someone who has just recovered from a long, lingering illness. It was as though I had emerged from a fog that had clouded my mind and made it impossible to see the real world as it really was. It’s a state of mind that I can recommend without hesitation.

Ask The Atheists

Life as an atheist is the best life there is, for only then do you achieve full humanity and exploit your mental capacity.

full humanity.
Full mental potentials.

Jesus: "i am come tht you may have life and have it more abundantly"

Jesus: "and i will send you anoda comforter. Comforter=helper,strenghtner,advocate,teacher, and He will guide you into all truth .."

Jesus: "ask that you joy may b full"

the christian life is worth considerg. Even though, many christians are still growg.

Christianity: ur full potential is to b like God.
Atheism: "achieve full humanity..."
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by 4cassavasticks: 6:38pm On May 12, 2013
ooman:

atheists are the happiest people I know off.

I'm sure Pol Pot was a very happy man
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 6:32am On May 13, 2013
kambo:

full humanity.
Full mental potentials.

Jesus: "i am come tht you may have life and have it more abundantly"

Jesus: "and i will send you anoda comforter. Comforter=helper,strenghtner,advocate,teacher, and He will guide you into all truth .."

Jesus: "ask that you joy may b full"

the christian life is worth considerg. Even though, many christians are still growg.

Christianity: ur full potential is to b like God.
Atheism: "achieve full humanity..."

@bold, you chase after the shadows, and that leads to madness because there are no gods anywhere.
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 6:33am On May 13, 2013
bolaino: hahahaha, ooman, talk true make devil shame, so u no dey chop christmas rice?

why not, i eat Sallah rice too, so is Egungun bush meat. I dont care
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by 5cassavasticks: 6:59am On May 13, 2013
ooman:

why not, i eat Sallah rice too, so is Egungun bush meat. I dont care
long throat, na food go kill you
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 7:25am On May 13, 2013
5cassava sticks:
long throat, na food go kill you

better than i should die for god
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by 5cassavasticks: 7:27am On May 13, 2013
ooman:

better than i should die for god
die na die. e no matter wetin you die for

1 Like

Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 9:21am On May 13, 2013
5cassava sticks:
die na die. e no matter wetin you die for

and there is no afterlife, once you die, you are dead tongue
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by 5cassavasticks: 9:26am On May 13, 2013
ooman:

and there is no afterlife, once you die, you are dead tongue
Are you sure about that?
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 9:31am On May 13, 2013
5cassava sticks:
Are you sure about that?

yep cheesy
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by 5cassavasticks: 9:34am On May 13, 2013
ooman:

yep cheesy
wow! how do you know, have you died before?
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 9:50am On May 13, 2013
5cassava sticks:
wow! how do you know, have you died before?

YES, I WAS DEAD FOR BILLION OF YEARS BEFORE I WAS BORN, I FELT NOTHING, I WILL ALSO FEEL NOTHING WHEN I DIE cheesy
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by 5cassavasticks: 10:33am On May 13, 2013
ooman:

YES, I WAS DEAD FOR BILLION OF YEARS BEFORE I WAS BORN, I FELT NOTHING, I WILL ALSO FEEL NOTHING WHEN I DIE cheesy
You have exposed your foolishness. How did you know that you were dead? where were you buried for those billions of years? ode.
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 11:17am On May 13, 2013
5cassava sticks:
You have exposed your foolishness. How did you know that you were dead? where were you buried for those billions of years? ode.

its better to start talking to a stone than this iddiot

no wonder you are getting banned.

1 Like

Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by Nobody: 11:19am On May 13, 2013
ooman:

wink
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by 5cassavasticks: 11:37am On May 13, 2013
ooman:

Yeah I know right, I've had more sensible conversations in psychiatric hospitals than with you. Mr I-was-dead-for-billions-of-years

Ooman how stupid thou art
In all the earth, there is no one like unto thee
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by Areaboy2(m): 11:57am On May 13, 2013
ooman:

He is clearly is the same boat as that strictly guy

I've promised myself to ignore the foolish ones.

Call me arrogant, but our IQ is far superior to theirs undecided
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by ooman(m): 12:17pm On May 13, 2013
5cassava sticks:
Yeah I know right, I've had more sensible conversations in psychiatric hospitals than with you. Mr I-was-dead-for-billions-of-years

Ooman how stupid thou art
In all the earth, there is no one like unto thee

why am i not surprised? mad people make sense in their own eyes.
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by 5cassavasticks: 12:20pm On May 13, 2013
Area_boy:

He is clearly is the same boat as that strictly guy

I've promised myself to ignore the foolish ones.

Call me arrogant, but our IQ is far superior to theirs undecided
pull your head out of your arse. I can't hear you from in there
Re: Living As An Atheist: Live The Life And Enjoy Now, For There Is No Afterlife by 5cassavasticks: 12:21pm On May 13, 2013
ooman:

why am i not surprised? mad people make sense in their own eyes.

Illiteracy na bad thing o.

(1) (Reply)

Pakistani Women Make History As The First Muslim Lesbian Couple / 4 Ways To Building A Strong Relationship With Jesus / Seeming/glaring Contradictions In The Bible.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.