Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,959 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? (5542 Views)

Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? / Practice Of Euthanasia;for Or Against??? / Do You Support Euthanasia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? by Briareos(m): 12:46pm On May 12, 2013
Greetings everyone. I don't know if this should be posted under the Law section but I'm sure experienced health practitioners should have answers to my question.

How do doctors or hospital management goes about carrying out mercy killing (euthanasia) when requested by the patient? What are the procedures? And the requirements that should be met first.
Re: What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? by Gbamar(f): 5:14pm On May 14, 2013
I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT MEDICAL PROCEDURE OF EUTHANASIA.BUT OUR LEGAL SYSTEM IS SILENT ABOUT IT.
Re: What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? by Briareos(m): 10:08am On May 17, 2013
Gbamar: I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT MEDICAL PROCEDURE OF EUTHANASIA.BUT OUR LEGAL SYSTEM IS SILENT ABOUT IT.

I'm sorry, Gbamar, what do you mean by 'silent'?
Re: What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? by dominique(f): 8:40am On May 19, 2013
By silent he's probably means there's no law on it. How many people question the deaths of their loved ones or request for autopsies? I don't think euthanasia is properly treated in our lecal scope (I could be wrong tho). A medic should be able to answer this properly.
Re: What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? by Lagusta(m): 9:14am On May 19, 2013
hmmmmmmmm

like someone rightly said, there is no law or statute which explicitly states anything about mercy killilng, in fact there is no bill being currently sponsored on the floor of the national assembly!!!

what we usually do is some form of "passive" euthanasia i.e withdrawing all forms of treatment, and the main reason is usually due to lack of funds.....

but "active" euthanasia?? never head of it being done anywhere

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? by dominique(f): 2:28pm On May 19, 2013
I'm sure doctors in teaching or general hospitas would have had instances where terminal patients requested for a speedy death. I'm also of the opinion that a patient has a right to die with some form of dignity left.
Re: What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? by Briareos(m): 3:50pm On May 19, 2013
dominique: I'm sure doctors in teaching or general hospitas would have had instances where terminal patients requested for a speedy death. I'm also of the opinion that a patient has a right to die with some form of dignity left.

I agree with you totally. But I'm trying to understand the official decree on this. Imagine a situation where a patient requested to be given mercy killing only for the family of the patient to sue the doctor for murdering the patient.
Re: What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? by Briareos(m): 4:14pm On May 19, 2013
Lagusta: hmmmmmmmm

like someone rightly said, there is no law or statute which explicitly states anything about mercy killilng, in fact there is no bill being currently sponsored on the floor of the national assembly!!!

what we usually do is some form of "passive" euthanasia i.e withdrawing all forms of treatment, and the main reason is usually due to lack of funds.....

but "active" euthanasia?? never head of it being done anywhere

Quite sad, actually
Re: What Is Nigerian Law On Euthanasia? by Lagusta(m): 4:56pm On May 19, 2013
Briareos:

I agree with you totally. But I'm trying to understand the official decree on this. Imagine a situation where a patient requested to be given mercy killing only for the family of the patient to sue the doctor for murdering the patient.

i understand, thats the reason why its not routinely done in nigeria, cos some people can be funny at times, and nigerians are now aware of the law.....

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For August 10 2021 In Nigeria / The Pain Of Child Birth! / private centre in lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.