Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,107 members, 7,807,337 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka (994 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by vccghana(m): 7:56pm On May 12, 2013
going by the response and tribute paid to the late literary giant professor chinua achebe, i am becoming to see him more popular than wole soyinka despite professor wole soyinnka winning the Nobel peace prize.

In you your view apart from the kind of publicity chinua achebe is having now because he is dead now and people always says nice things about the dead. WHO DO YOU THINK IS MORE POPULAR?
Re: Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by cornel1900: 8:15pm On May 12, 2013
I believe there is no point to add to the country's sickness with such pointless post.
Wat do you hope to achieve?
Is the teeth greater than the tongue or stomach even if they are all part of the digestive system?
Please be guided!
Re: Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by manny4life(m): 8:22pm On May 12, 2013
Mods, PLEASE kill this topic while it's yet to stir unnecessary and bigoted statements.

@OP, both men are GREAT, hence let's leave all the popularity scheme, I respect both men for the literary works and achievements...

Pa Chinua Achebe, DIKE n'onwu--- Naa nke oma..
Re: Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by julioralph(m): 8:25pm On May 12, 2013
cornel1900: I believe there is no point to add to the country's sickness with such pointless post.
Wat do you hope to achieve?
Is the teeth greater than the tongue or stomach even if they are all part of the digestive system?
Please be guided!
manny4life: Mods, PLEASE kill this topic while it's yet to stir unnecessary and bigoted statements.

@OP, both men are GREAT, hence let's leave all the popularity scheme, I respect both men for the literary works and achievements...

Pa Chinua Achebe, DIKE n'onwu--- Naa nke oma..
both of you are right on point.
Re: Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by MajeOfficial: 11:43pm On May 12, 2013
Chinua Achebe
About 7,140,000 results (0.28 seconds)
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=eappswebkhl&gs_rn=12&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=o1whH08Wp2ojIlkYzF9ddg&suggest=p&pq=wole%20soyinka&cp=5&gs_id=51&xhr=t&q=Chinua%20Achebe&es_nrs=true&pf=p&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Chinu&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.aWc&fp=cd06aebfd86711c8&biw=1517&bih=693

Wole Soyinka
About 1,550,000 results (0.28 seconds)
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=eappswebkhl&gs_rn=12&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=o1whH08Wp2ojIlkYzF9ddg&suggest=p&pq=chinua%20achebe&cp=6&gs_id=3m&xhr=t&q=Wole%20Soyinka&es_nrs=true&pf=p&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Wole+S&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.aWc&fp=cd06aebfd86711c8&biw=1517&bih=693

Method: Google search by name
Source: www.google.com
Re: Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by ayox2003: 12:02am On May 13, 2013
vccghana: going by the response and tribute paid to the late literary giant professor chinua achebe, i am becoming to see him more popular than wole soyinka despite professor wole soyinnka winning the Nobel peace prize.

In you your view apart from the kind of publicity chinua achebe is having now because he is dead now and people always says nice things about the dead. WHO DO YOU THINK IS MORE POPULAR?

Never compare the dead with the living. Let Soyinka grow old till death takes him away before u ask this kinda question.

I love Achebe; I love Soyinka.

Frawzey
Re: Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 12:11am On May 13, 2013
Popularity des not always mean the most articulate.

Sure Achebe is more popular, but Soyinka has done more to unite Nigeria (in an untribalized way) than Achebe has ever attempted to do.

example:

Drake is wayyyyyyy more popular than J.Cole, but J.Cole is better than Drake.
Re: Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by manny4life(m): 3:03am On May 13, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Sure Achebe is more popular, but Soyinka has done more to unite Nigeria (in an untribalized way) than Achebe has ever attempted to do.

example:

Drake is wayyyyyyy more popular than J.Cole, but J.Cole is better than Drake.

That is the part I will like for any serious leader or icon to look at, not what they think is wrong with Nigeria but what the people think. The so-called unity of Nigeria is nothing but a mere charade, anyone waiting to achieve that feat better take a good look and reverse their stand. The Nigerian project is on the brink of collapse and destruction, what we're asking for is destruction without "major" casualties. I still like Prof. Soyinka for his stand on the unity project, but I stand with Achebe 1 million times over because of his stand - divide the crappy nation. Divided we stand, united we fall--- This is my motto.

1 Like

Re: Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 5:12am On May 13, 2013
manny4life:

That is the part I will like for any serious leader or icon to look at, not what they think is wrong with Nigeria but what the people think. The so-called unity of Nigeria is nothing but a mere charade, anyone waiting to achieve that feat better take a good look and reverse their stand. The Nigerian project is on the brink of collapse and destruction, what we're asking for is destruction without "major" casualties. I still like Prof. Soyinka for his stand on the unity project, but I stand with Achebe 1 million times over because of his stand - divide the crappy nation. Divided we stand, united we fall--- This is my motto.

Can't argue with your point because its subjective, but your post has little to do with the fact I posted.

No one can predict what will become of Nigeria if it breaks

And to be honest........I'm tire of the unity/disunity talk because really, I find it hard to take Nigeria serious right now
Re: Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by MajeOfficial: 6:51am On May 14, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

example:

Drake is wayyyyyyy more popular than J.Cole (provable fact), but J.Cole is better than Drake (opinion).
Re: Who Is More Popular Chinua Achebe Or Wole Soyinka by vccghana(m): 8:07am On May 14, 2013
interesting comments
[quote author=]Chinua Achebe
About 7,140,000 results (0.28 seconds)

Wole Soyinka
About 1,550,000 results (0.28 seconds)

Method: Google search by name
Source: www.google.com[/quote]

achebe will definitely be more for now because he is dead now and everybody want to know more about him

(1) (Reply)

The Gift Of A Name / My Village, A Loge Of Love And Life / Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.