Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,464 members, 7,801,162 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:42 AM

Swimsuits Through The Decades - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Swimsuits Through The Decades (10707 Views)

Ankara Swimsuits…take A Stroll On The Beach Looking Sassy [photos] / Check This Out: New Swimsuits For Summer 2012. / Where To Get Correct Swimsuits In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Swimsuits Through The Decades by Nobody: 1:18am On May 13, 2013
From ancient bathers to pin ups to butt-baring bikinis, we've come a long way when it comes to swim gear. Take a walk through fashion history with us, and see how far we've come.

By Julie Pereira, Thread Blogger

Ancient Rome - Spotted on mosaics thousands of years old, these athletic ladies were rocking the very first bikinis, although historians insist there is little evidence these looks were worn for swimming. That was done in the nude. How do you say "scandalous" in Latin?

1910s - We're not sure exactly what these gorgeous bathing beauties are so happy about--these bulky "swim costumes" were required by law for all women to wear while at the beach--you could be fined for showing too much leg! The original "two piece" consisted of a gown and trousers, fabricated with (heavy) materials that wouldn't become see-through when wet.

1920s - We're getting closer to the modern day suit. This slimmer style was popularized in the '20s by Australian "underwater ballerina" Annette Kellerman. The close-fitting tank onesie, while tame to us, caused quite a stir amongst the more pearl-clutchy citizens of the world who deemed the suit "indecent." Too bad for them--the trend caught on like wildfire.

1940s - With WWII came the birth of the "pin up" look. Tame bikinis with just a whiff of midriff and high-sitting bottoms began popping up after the war. The suits got their name from Bikini Atoll--the site of several atomic bomb tests--because those who saw the the suits were blown away. Kind of morbid, huh?

1950s - When we think of "retro" swimsuits, this is the kind of silhouette most people think of. Created to enhance hourglass curves while still maintaining some modesty, these styles are synonymous with both Esther Williams and Marilyn Monroe and they're still popular among vintage fiends today.

Early '60s - Somebody call Moondoggy--it's a beach party! The new, belly-button-baring bikini went hand-in-hand with the youth movement of the early '60s, but was still relatively tame.

Late '60s - This gal is taking the Flower Child thing a bit literally, but the late 1960s was a time for liberation. Enter: the skimpier bikini. Hippies and entertainers alike (Cher was a big fan in her early days) began rocking bikini tops as a sexier answer to separates.

1970s - If you thought the '60s were free, the '70s took it all to new levels. String bikinis brought with them lower bottoms and barely-there tops.

Late '80s - The late '80s and early '90s were all about high-cut legs and neon, tropical prints. The idea was that the higher cut made legs look leaner and longer, when in reality it just made everyone look like they were walking around with a wedgie. Dark days.

Late '90s - One word: tankinis.

Early 2000's - The early aughts experimented with the one piece in...let's say, "inventive," ways. Thus, the monokini was born--technically a one piece, but one with a healthy amount of skin still showing.

Late 2000's - With the surge in popularity of all things Brazilian--from waxes to butt lifts and beyond--the triangle string bikini saw a boom. Most notable about this style, though, is the cut of the bottoms--specifically designed to show off a hefty dose of haunch.

Now: The New Modest - Thanks to stars like Taylor Swift and Beyonce rocking them, more covered-up styles are becoming more popular for beachgoers and getting modern updates. Strategic cutouts and plunging necklines are tasteful, not slutty, while even two-pieces are getting the retro treatment with high-waisted bottoms and long-lined tops.

Now: The New Sexy - But don't fret--bikinis aren't going anywhere. This season you'll see classic bandeaus in bright colors as well as athletic, colorblocked styles and suits with unexpectedly tough accents. We've come a long way since the original two piece!

SOURCE
Re: Swimsuits Through The Decades by Nobody: 1:20am On May 13, 2013
Woah

Swimsuit in earlier Rome was skimpier than USA's 1920 swimsuits
Re: Swimsuits Through The Decades by Nobody: 1:28am On May 13, 2013
[size=13pt]It says they swam unclad though. I wonder when they wore bikinis lol.[/size]
Re: Swimsuits Through The Decades by Nobody: 1:31am On May 13, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]It says they swam unclad though. I wonder when they wore bikinis lol.[/size]

shocked

I rest my case tongue
Re: Swimsuits Through The Decades by Nobody: 4:13am On May 13, 2013
And then there are whale swim suits for people like me. angry
Re: Swimsuits Through The Decades by dominique(f): 12:43pm On May 20, 2013
rofl @ the 1910s swimsuits grin
Re: Swimsuits Through The Decades by LordReed(m): 8:08pm On May 20, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]It says they swam unclad though. I wonder when they wore bikinis lol.[/size]

Well they called it bathing then so I don't suppose they'd do it clothed, abi do you take your bath or shower with your clothes on?
Re: Swimsuits Through The Decades by Nobody: 6:04am On May 21, 2013
Lord_Reed: Well they called it bathing then so I don't suppose they'd do it clothed, abi do you take your bath or shower with your clothes on?

[size=13pt]Sorry, I don't know much about Ancient Rome. The article said they swam unclad so I took that as swimming rather than bathing lol.[/size]
Re: Swimsuits Through The Decades by Nobody: 6:05am On May 21, 2013
dominique: rofl @ the 1910s swimsuits grin

[size=13pt]You want one? I'm sure I can find one on eBay lol.[/size]
Re: Swimsuits Through The Decades by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 21, 2013
I hope this one never comes back and says it is 'trending'. Overall I think 80's fashion is the worst.

(1) (Reply)

Which Body Lotion Do I Use On My Toddler? / Lovely Ladies Dresses For Just 3500. / Burna Boy & Yemi Alade On The Cover Of Accoladez Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.