Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? (13522 Views)

Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family / Which Of These Two Vehicles Have A Better Interior? / My Budget Is 600-700k I Need A Second Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 10:09am On May 13, 2013
Hello everyone. I need help to make a good choice of a minivan. My family has increased by God's Grace hence the need for a minivan especially for traveling. My considerations are as follows:
1. Fuel economical
2. Low maintenance cost
3. Rugged (our roads are bad)
4. Very reliable
5. The window can be wind up/down (NOT like Sienna 1999 that you can only wind up only the two front doors)
6. Budget - 800-900K

So having considered all these, i came up with these cars. So please i'm now asking house members to help me make the right choice based on experience and facts.

Honda Shuttle 1998 - 2000
Toyota Picnic 1998-2000
Volkswagen Sharan 1998-2000
Mitsubishi Spacewagon 2000-2002
Mazda MPV 2000-2002
Ford Galaxy 1998-2000

I have attached the pictures for more clarity.

I will appreciate all your advise please.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 10:12am On May 13, 2013
The other pictures are also attached:

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by lonelydora: 11:07am On May 13, 2013
The Honda Shuttle or the Volkswagen Sharon are okay in terms of your listed criteria. For family use, i suggest the Honda Shuttle. For Transport business, i suggest the Volkswagen Sharon. I have used the Sharon before and i can tell you it's a good vehicle.
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 12:27pm On May 13, 2013
lonelydora: The Honda Shuttle or the Volkswagen Sharon are okay in terms of your listed criteria. For family use, i suggest the Honda Shuttle. For Transport business, i suggest the Volkswagen Sharon. I have used the Sharon before and i can tell you it's a good vehicle.

I love Honda Shuttle actually but i heard Honda Odessey generally has transmission problems (auto gear problem). Can somebody please confirm this? I would prefer auto gear hence my being apprehensive.
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 5:08pm On May 13, 2013
Please house every suggestion will be appreciated

Thank you.
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by igomen: 5:25pm On May 13, 2013
With your budget of 800 - 900K you can get any of the aforementioned vehicles. However, based on my personal experience I will suggest you go for a Mazda MPV LX 2000 model; its maintenance is low and spare parts are readily available. I've owned it for about 6 months and enjoying it.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by IbukaDantata: 6:31pm On May 13, 2013
Try Honda Stream 1999-2001
Nissan Almera Tino 2000-2002

Your budget is not complete though .... Buying these cars You mentioned will need @least 1M.
That is from cotonou as tokumbo.
600k - 650k as cotonou cost price
320k-330k as cotonou and Nigerian custom clearance
70k-80k as cost of fixing it in proper shape.

Except Toyota sienna, I heard that all others are economically of fuel wise

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by Fhemmmy: 7:17pm On May 13, 2013
Mazda MPV seems to be your best option . . .
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 8:39pm On May 13, 2013
thanks for all your comments.

@Fhemmmy
What are your reasons for suggesting Mazda MPV? Have you being using it or have you used any of the other ones? I have always been very skeptical about MAZDA products

@Dantata
Honda Stream mighty be too pricy and not very common on our roads so my first taught will availability of parts. However Nissan Almera Tino may not serve my purpose. But all the same, thank you very much. The price you gave are they current?
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by Fhemmmy: 8:42pm On May 13, 2013
ping2ping: thanks for all your comments.
@Fhemmmy
What are your reasons for suggesting Mazda MPV? Have you being using it or have you used any of the other ones? I have always been very skeptical about MAZDA products

I just base it on your budget . . . besides, maybe you could mention what made you to be skeptical about the mazda product and we talk about it.
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 10:23am On May 14, 2013
@Fhemmmy

Talking about Mazda products, they are NOT durable. I've not driven one but in my office for example, all the guys that bought Mazda are all complaining. They have either sold it to buy another car or have it as a second car. Honda and Toyota are simply better products going by what i've heard of the users and seen too.

Well, i stand to be corrected though by guys with superior argument.
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by Fhemmmy: 2:50pm On May 14, 2013
ping2ping: @Fhemmmy

Talking about Mazda products, they are NOT durable. I've not driven one but in my office for example, all the guys that bought Mazda are all complaining. They have either sold it to buy another car or have it as a second car. Honda and Toyota are simply better products going by what i've heard of the users and seen too.

Well, i stand to be corrected though by guys with superior argument.

I bet to disagree with you on that one, Sir . . . The problem is that We Nigerians are not too good in taking care of our rides, we use them till they break down and them we complain, any ride that is well taken cared of will serve you well, do the maintenance at the right time and ride it carefully too on the road, some people see pot holes and just jump into it.

Although, i would have suggested Sienna, but you dont seems to like it cos of the windows and your budget is kinda low too.
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 10:18am On May 15, 2013
@Fhemmmy
Thanks for the info but i must say that "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others".

Having said that, you obviously know more about cars than i do. I think you suggested the Mazda MPV because of my budget. If i'm to increase my budget a little bit, would you still suggest Mazda MPV? But what will the Honda Shuttle 1999, Toyota Picnic 1998 and Volkwagen Sharan 1998 cost inclusive of custom papers? I think that will help me decide if i should up my budget.

Sienna and the likes are NOT an option for me.
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by luvinhubby(m): 10:18am On May 16, 2013
ping2ping:

I love Honda Shuttle actually but i heard Honda Odessey generally has transmission problems (auto gear problem). Can somebody please confirm this? I would prefer auto gear hence my being apprehensive.
Shuttle is a variant of Honda Civic & not Odyssey. 2003 Odyssey alone uses same gearbox as Accord 1999(Babyboy) V6 which has a peculiar gear issue. Civics are durable & cheap to maintain Honda brands.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 1:27pm On May 16, 2013
@luvinhubby
I'm just hearing it from you that Shuttle is a variant of civic though i don't quite believe. Take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey_%28international%29
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by diportivo: 2:59pm On May 16, 2013
shuttle and d model year oddyssey variant dont av d gear problems u r talking abt...if u like it,go for it...its more spacious dan d picnic,but older in model year to the mazda.if u ask me,its between the shuttle and d mazda.....and i for one will go for d mazda.maintenance is key....if u routinely do dat,u will enjoy ur mazda.....
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by Fhemmmy: 6:46pm On May 16, 2013
Thanks for the info but i must say that "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others".

Having said that, you obviously know more about cars than i do. I think you suggested the Mazda MPV because of my budget. If i'm to increase my budget a little bit, would you still suggest Mazda MPV? But what will the Honda Shuttle 1999, Toyota Picnic 1998 and Volkwagen Sharan 1998 cost inclusive of custom papers? I think that will help me decide if i should up my budget.

Sienna and the likes are NOT an option for me.

If you are willing to up your budget a little, i might not suggest MPV for you.
In Canada and USA, we dont have Shuttle but we have Honda Odyssey, and we only have the Toyota Sienna as Vans and no Sharan.
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 10:38am On May 17, 2013
@Fhemmmy
You said "If you are willing to up your budget a little, i might not suggest MPV for you.", then which will you recommend if i could up my budget a little?
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by Fhemmmy: 2:01pm On May 17, 2013
You said "If you are willing to up your budget a little, i might not suggest MPV for you.", then which will you recommend if i could up my budget a little?

Here is what Odyssey looks like . . . I would suggest something like this, cos it is Honda and reliable as well as not bad on gas . . . . and MIGHT be within a good budget and by the way, it i may ask, why don't you like Sienna?

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by FindOut(m): 6:09pm On May 17, 2013
@Fhemmy,he said no Sienna because the rear windows cannot be wound down....which is the same thing with the 2nd generation oddysey you posted.

@Op, i'm surprised no one has mentioned Toyota Picnic. Though in my opinion, it's the ugliest member of your list, I have a feeing its the most practical and economical to own in Nigeria, going by the fact that well, it's a Toyota....even if European spec...& it has a strong rep for durability. The oddysey would be my pic of the bunch tho it is really not immune to tranny issues....but if you take care of it well, use the prescribed ATF, change at prescribed intervals e.t.c. you'll reduce your chances of having those issues.

Ford Galaxy and VW Sharan are more or less the same vehicle. Can't say much about them tho i would expect the Sharan wil provide the best driving pleasure of the bunch but will also give average 'mechanic' the most headaches...whenever there's a fault.

Mazda MPV is also really cool, tho if you are very concerned about fuel costs and will be spending lots of time in traffic, you may want to skip it coz they mostly come in 2.5l V6 engines which are not so thirsty but thirstier than the average i4 (MPV users can correct my assertion).

Above all, anywhere you come across anyone driving any of the vehicles, feel freee to walk up to that person & have a chat with him/her, it could help you make a decision but also know that some people maintain their cars poorly and then turn around to blame the car for the inevitable avoidable faults that occur.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by Fhemmmy: 6:15pm On May 17, 2013
Find Out!:
@Fhemmy,he said no Sienna because the rear windows cannot be wound down....which is the same thing with the 2nd generation oddysey you posted.

@Op, i'm surprised no one has mentioned Toyota Picnic. Though in my opinion, it's the ugliest member off your list, I have a feeing its the most practical and economical to own in Nigeria, going by the fact that well, it's a Toyota....even if European spec...& it has a strong rep for durability. The oddysey would be my pic of the bunch tho it is really not immune to tranny issues....but if you take care of it well, use the prescribed ATF, change at prescribed intervals e.t.c. you'll reduce your chances of having those issues.

Ford Galaxy and VW Sharan are more or less the same vehicle. Can't say much about them tho i would expect the Sharan wil provide the best driving pleasure of the bunch but will also give average 'mechanic' the most headaches...whenever there's a fault.

Mazda MPV is also really cool, tho if you are very concerned about fuel costs and will be spending lots of time in traffic, you may want to skip it coz they mostly come in 2.5l V6 engines which are not so thirsty but thirstier than the average i4 (MPV users can correct my assertion).

Above all, anywhere you come across anyone driving any of the vehicles, feel freee to walk up to that person & have a chat with him/her, it could help you make a decision but also know that some people maintain their cars poorly and then turn around to blame the car for the inevitable avoidable faults that occur.

Not mentioning picnic, cos we dont have that in Canada or USA
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by Fixed: 1:49pm On May 20, 2013
@OP
Honda Odyssey/Isuzu Shuttle: The US version of this vehicle was actually produced as a joint development between Isuzu and Honda in Japan and shipped to the US and it spanned 1995 - 1998 and not up to year 2000, well maybe the European models. It was later replaced by the popular bigger Odyssey which is the model with transmission issues. I used the vehicle for 3 years before I gave it out, strong and durable. Got it at 175K miles and racked up additional 60k in the 3 years I used it. Almost all mechanical parts are the same as the Honda Accord of the same model year - engine and transmission wise! Parts are cheap and affordable. Complete 2.2ltr engine goes for N50K. Boot is quite spacious and back seat folds flat into the floor creating additional space. 9ja mechanics handle it very well and fuel economy is good given the fact its a 4 plugs. Tranny issue? - Never had a major issue. I drained the ATF yearly and once changed a speed sensor for N5k. Transmission is all auto. Got mine from Cotonou for N870K with full duty paid. It sells for ~N1M locally.
Downside: It feels underpowered when all seats are occupied by adults. You also hear the exhaust touching the ground when it is fully loaded despite the good shocks that came with it. Also, if you are getting one, go for the one that has AC vents on the roof for rear passengers.

Mazda MPV: This MPV is 6 Cylinder so I expect power to be adequate and also take a little more fuel compared to the Shuttle/Odyssey. For me, the dashboard of the MPV is a selling point over the odyssey which is a little boring. Rear doors are sliding so it is good for children and the rear windows can be rolled down. I haven't used it before but they've been great comments on the availability and cost of maintenance and parts. I wish I could confirm that the Tranny is actually 20K!!! I have come acroos quite a number advertised for between N1.1 and N1.3M.

Volkswagen Sharan/Ford Galaxy: Same goes for these two MPVs. Sharan is European while Galaxy sold in the US. They share basically the same engine and other mechanical parts. Fuel economy is great on the 4 cylinder. Obviously, transporters use the 2.8l VR6 6 cylinder version. The thing is the 9ja shrewd transporters wouldnt use them if its not good. For me, the sharply raked nose that shows lack of creativity and the its general association with commercial purpose here in Nigeria is the minus. but generally, it is a good car. In terms of cost, you should get a good one for between N750~N850K. I haven't seen one with an automatic transmission really though they may exist.

Toyota Picnic: This is about the most expensive old 4 cylinder MPV I have ever come across in Nigeria. It is a typical European vehicle - not too spacious but fuel economical. Maintenance cost is also good and its a 4 cylinder. Like any other vehicle, if you carry out scheduled maintenance and regular checks, almost any car will serve you well. You can find the Picnic as both manual and auto. The auto goes for about N1.35M - That will surely get me at least a CE option of 2001 Toyota Sienna which gives me more space and engine power of course with fuel economy trade off.
My opinion, Picnic is good but is it really worth the cost considering cheaper alternatives?

A question for you: Any particular reason why you want MPVs whose rear glass must roll down?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 2:40pm On May 22, 2013
Thanks to everybody that have contributed to this thread so far. I've learnt a lot and i hope other viewers must have learnt also.

@Fixed
Your post is most informing. My issue with Sienna is because the rear windows cannot be wound down. It means that when i'm using it within the city, i will always use AC. Again, i was told that the maintenance cost is high, is a V6 engine so more Fuel. Thanks for your comment on the Honda Shuttle knowing that you used one. However you said "Almost all mechanical parts are the same as the Honda Accord of the same model year - engine and transmission wise!", that mean 1999 model uses same transmission as Honda Accord 1999 (aka baby boy). If that is true, then i'm scared because i've also heard that baby boy do have transmission issues. Could confirm this?

I have narrowed my search to Honda Shuttle and Mazda MPV. I have problem with V6 vehicles because of fuel consumption and the saying by people that V6 engines are problematic, though i wouldn't really know how true that is, i have not used one.

On being under powered when the car is full with adults, i think is same with other cars. I'm using Carina E 1.6 presently and i feel same once i have about 4 people in the car. I only intend to use it for family use and NOT for transport though once in a while you may carry other people in the car.

I will appreciate more information on this topic please
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by Ikenna351(m): 3:08pm On May 22, 2013
I wonder why Nigerians are so negative about V6 cars. Yes, V6 car may not be an economy car, but its not an expensive car to run, fuel or maintain. I still don't understand Nigerians with this "hearsay" thing.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by Fixed: 4:01pm On May 22, 2013
ping2ping please let me make a few clarifications:

1. There is nothing - please read - nothing like a "V6 engine is problematic". All engines are problematic if you give them to automechanics that are incompetent! Ultimately, all engines (not only V6) become expensive to maintain when you don't follow manufacturers' scheduled and general maintenance. V6 engine is just a 4 cylinder engine with additional 2 cylinders to provide additional power. Have you ever thought of this: With the exception of RAV4 and CRV, all common brands of SUVs (called jeep in Nigerian parlance) come with the minimum of V6 engines. How do the owners cope with the so-called problematic V6 in them?

2. Not all cars feel underpowered when loaded up to the rated load capacity. At the maximum of 6 adult passengers and a few luggage, my Odyssey 2.2ltr engine sound dropped to a lower pitch and i also needed to depress the accelerator a little more to maintain the same speed. I felt this the more when driving uphill. I gave out the Odyssey and got an 02 Sienna on this forum which has a 3.0ltr engine. I can boast that it carries more load effortlessly. The difference is in the engine power brother, it is V6, and of course, the Sienna is powerful but fuel thirsty. The fuel tank is rated 20.9gallons (80ltrs) but I fill it with N9,000. Meanwhile, I filled the Odyssey with N6,000 and it actually lasted me longer than what the Sienna does.

3. Please note that the model of the Odyssey you are referring to above runs from 1995 through 1998. It is the same model that shares similar mechanical parts with the same year Honda Accord (popularly known as Academy and not the baby boy). The bigger model of the Odyssey that has gear box issues started in 1999. I cannot say much about its mechanical similarity with the Babyboy's only that I also observed that a lot of people complain about the failure of Babyboys (Honda Accord 1998/99-2002) automatic gear.

4. The Mazda MPV you comes with the V6 for the US model which you are more likely to get if you eventually go for it. The 1999 -2002 model comes with 2.5ltr V6 while later models come with standard 3.0ltr V6. If you are willing to trade off power for fuel economy and the van will only be fully loaded occasionally, then go for the Odyssey. Other factor coming into play is your budget which in which case you can still get a good bargain for N900K for a well maintained Odyssey unlike the MPV that costs a few hundreds more.

Hope this suffices!

3 Likes

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 5:37pm On May 22, 2013
@Fixed
Thanks so much, your post is so very informative. I definitely know better now. These mechanics can confuse somebody at times. Once you mention V6 car, they will discourage you.

I think i will look online again about Honda odyssey again. I went through this site before now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey_%28international%29

I got what you said here: "3. Please note that the model of the Odyssey you are referring to above runs from 1995 through 1998. It is the same model that shares similar mechanical parts with the same year Honda Accord (popularly known as Academy and not the baby boy). The bigger model of the Odyssey that has gear box issues started in 1999. I cannot say much about its mechanical similarity with the Babyboy's only that I also observed that a lot of people complain about the failure of Babyboys (Honda Accord 1998/99-2002) automatic gear." If i'm going for the shuttle, i will get either a 97 or 98 model. Again, thank you very much.
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 11:41pm On Aug 08, 2013
Who knows about Avensis Verso? Is it a later model of Picnic or different type of minivan entirely? It looks classy. Any idea of the cost of 2001 model with auto tranny?

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by xerotop(m): 10:07am On Aug 09, 2013
ping2ping: Who knows about Avensis Verso? Is it a later model of Picnic or different type of minivan entirely? It looks classy. Any idea of the cost of 2001 model with auto tranny?

Avensis versoo is an improved and refined picknic on an avensis platform. U can also say its a picknic. It was introduced in 2001 and was improved in 2003.
This mpv is so expensive and that the price will buy you a 2008 toyota camry.
My wife wanted one for her biz but i was so shocked when i heard the price.
Cost price from europe was about 6000 euros. I told to 4 get it that i will get her a camry muscle instead of this bus. And she belived me. grin
I can bet you its d best amongst all the mpvs u av listed so far.

If u av d money, dont think twice, just go 4 it

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by ping2ping: 2:04pm On Aug 16, 2013
Further research i have conducted on this showed that Odyssey 1995-1997 uses same engine (2.2L, I4, 140hp) and gear box (Honda H4A auto gear series) as Accord 1995 - 1997 (aka academy) while Odyssey 1998 uses same engine (2.3L, I4, 150hp) and gear box (Honda M6HA auto gear series) as Accord 1998 - 2002 (aka baby boy).

Odyssey 1999-2001 shares same engine (3.0L, V6) and gear box (Honda B7XA auto gear series) with Accord 1998 - 2002 V6.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_transmissions

On Mazda MPV, I discovered that 2000-2001 model use Mazda 4-speed auto transmission while from 2002 model, Mazda used JATCO 5-speed auto transmission. From reviews, the 5-speed tranny in 2002 - 2006 model is much more prone to problems.

Does anybody really know about fuel efficiency of 2000-2001 MAzda MPV? I know is V6 but the 2000-2001 model is 2.5L engine so might be less fuel thirstier than say Sienna with 3.0L V6 engine?
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by aeu1: 6:42pm On Aug 27, 2013
OP, why not buy Picnic and have rest for your soul. I've seen Picnic being offered for sale here on NL for your budget, car market is buyers market. Picnic has 6 and 7 seats specs. Post your demand in Autos section and receive offers. All your adumbrating on Mazda MPV n Odessey is really uncalled for, be nice to accept that best lies not in appearance but hassles free experience in what'll be your choice
Regards

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by DisGuy: 2:51pm On Aug 28, 2013
aeu1: OP, why not buy Picnic and have rest for your soul. I've seen Picnic being offered for sale here on NL for your budget, car market is buyers market. Picnic has 6 and 7 seats specs. Post your demand in Autos section and receive offers. All your adumbrating on Mazda MPV n Odessey is really uncalled for, be nice to accept that best lies not in appearance but hassles free experience in what'll be your choice
Regards

in Nigeria, car market is also mechanics market cheesy

if naija mechanic dont know how to fix it, then its not a good car cheesy
Re: Which Of These Is A Better Minivan With My Budget? by DisGuy: 2:55pm On Aug 28, 2013
how is it going ping2ping?

which did you settle for within that budget, my mum is also looking to get a 7 seater-
currently considering a Vauxhall[opel] Zafira

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Copyrights A Device That Captures Items That Fall Under Your Car Seats / Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama / Reps Endorse Tariff Increase On Imported Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.