Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,879 members, 7,798,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings (185398 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Dygeasy(m): 3:25pm On May 13, 2013
@booqee,

Olanrewaju means 'my wealth is moving forward'

Olusegun is most times given to children born on tuesdays. We know the yorubas call tuesday ojo isegun which means 'day of victory.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 13, 2013
Plsss what is the meaning of ADEBISI
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by SLIDEwaxie(m): 3:34pm On May 13, 2013
D sage: @op, what's difference between 'Taiwo and Taye or Tayelolu'? Has it been called Taiwo since the time immemorial or just modern version to replace Taye or Tayelolu?

Don't know and that's why I'm asking.
taiwo is the real name. Taye is a shortened form of taiwo. Tayelolu is also the same, but the parents jes want to tell u dt taye is d head(OLU).

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Bantino(m): 3:40pm On May 13, 2013
Whats the meaning of Adeola
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 13, 2013
Lol menh na inside this post u go dey see people dey post wor_wor names plz @ op wats d meaning if IBUKUN. First time I heard of ibukun I shout WTF grin
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by shadrach77: 3:47pm On May 13, 2013
SLIDE waxie: taiwo is the real name. Taye is a shortened form of taiwo. Tayelolu is also the same, but the parents jes want to tell u dt taye is d head(OLU).

Wrong sir. Yoruba tradition believes that Kehinde is the eldest despite coming out last which explains the statement often made "Omo Kehinde gba egbon" ( Kehinde is the eldest) Tayololu is simply a fanciful way of saying Taye : angry angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by thirty(m): 3:47pm On May 13, 2013
Op. Nice one. I can give you 80% for the meaning of these names but you dont get all. We need a yorube technologist who realy know and understand all the meanings of the amutorunwas like my grand mum. Whenever there is a debate on each one of the names, she will give the and add the oriki.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by deor03(m): 3:49pm On May 13, 2013
Bantino: Whats the meaning of Adeola

Ade= Crown
Ola= wealth

Adeola is crown of wealth

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by mrman2(m): 3:53pm On May 13, 2013
Oluwaseunarafunmi. I just love my name
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Ninilowo(m): 3:56pm On May 13, 2013
Lolladey: what about 'Inioluwa'
Heritage of God.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by thirty(m): 3:58pm On May 13, 2013
shadrach77:
Wrong sir. Yoruba tradition believes that Kehinde is the eldest despite coming out last which explains the statement often made "Omo Kehinde gba egbon" ( Kehinde is the eldest) Tayololu is simply a fanciful way of saying Taye : angry angry angry
You are wrong, Taiwo came first. The more reason Kehinde gbegbon is to prevent hatred btw the two or else their mother will not rest. My mother will say Taiwo came first but Kehinde is the elder. Sometime my mother will say nothing when we asked her.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Ninilowo(m): 4:00pm On May 13, 2013
naijaobi: what does jegede mean.
Fuji Musicians now. Igi jegede (small tree)
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by kemisuga(f): 4:03pm On May 13, 2013
Educative. Nice one @ Poster.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 13, 2013
What does Kayode mean
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by herney: 4:21pm On May 13, 2013
Inioluwa means God's heritage
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Afolabs101: 4:33pm On May 13, 2013
AFOLABI - "A child with honour is born", or more literally, "we use wealth to born" tongue

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by TayoT: 4:34pm On May 13, 2013
naijaobi: what does jegede mean.
It means u look like chief Jegede Sokoya of the new masquerade. grin

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by TayoT: 4:37pm On May 13, 2013
bad meat: Denrele~a female child born with moustache,with an axial rod below his abdomen!
grin grin
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by abujalapdog(m): 4:38pm On May 13, 2013
booqee: ^^are u serious??

Other natural names include:
Abiodun (one born on a festival day or period),

Abosede (one born on a sunday;

Babatunde/Babatunji
(meaning father has
come back) is the son
born to a family where a father has recently passed away. This testifies to the belief in reincarnation.

Iyabode, Yeside, Yewande, Yetunde, (mother has come back) is the female
counterpart.

please can you enlighten me about this names; Agboola, korede, Banjo, Jamiu, Jide . thanks
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by shakur4luv(m): 4:38pm On May 13, 2013
pls what is the meaning of AJANGBALAJUGBU and POPOOLA
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by thirty(m): 4:49pm On May 13, 2013
Please ask for the meaning big names and differentiate between
oruko abiso & oruko amutorunwa like:
idi ileke
ibadi aran
eyin ju ege
omolewa
adaranijo
eji wunmi
adekanbi
abiara
omoladele
omolabake
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by nduogu(m): 4:50pm On May 13, 2013
Pls, what is the meaning of Itunuoluwa.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by ninja4life(m): 4:55pm On May 13, 2013
Pls wat is d meaning of majekodunmi d name of majek fashek does it mean dont let it pain me or it has another meaning?
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by ninja4life(m): 4:56pm On May 13, 2013
thirty: Please ask for the meaning big names and differentiate between
oruko abiso & oruko amutorunwa like:
idi ileke
ibadi aran
eyin ju ege
omolewa
adaranijo
eji wunmi
adekanbi
abiara
omoladele
omolabake
u wan toast a girl?
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Dygeasy(m): 4:57pm On May 13, 2013
nadia_SA: What does Kayode mean
the child who brought a lot of joy into the home/family.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Dsage1: 5:00pm On May 13, 2013
SLIDE waxie: taiwo is the real name. Taye is a shortened form of taiwo. Tayelolu is also the same, but the parents jes want to tell u dt taye is d head(OLU).

Shortened form? Do you mean, Tayewo is shortened to Taiwo?
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by eppysold(m): 5:01pm On May 13, 2013
Soryy,meani f kardashian,lopez,lukaku,dike and balotelli..

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 13, 2013
what does sijuwade mean pls?
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by kumbalo(m): 5:05pm On May 13, 2013
i'm beginning to know the names of some of the NL that hide under the anonymous status to post junks. #God don catch you today. Rule 21 broken! Oya ban me. Lol

Op what is the meaning of Olaniyonu?
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by thirty(m): 5:09pm On May 13, 2013
please can you enlighten me about this names; Agboola, korede, Banjo, Jamiu, Jide . thanks[/quote]
akorede - a child that came with fortune.
Adebanjo, omobanjo -
Mohammad Jamiu or Al Jami is a muslim name - the convener on the day of judgement.
Olajide, babajide - my wealth as come again
please always call your name in full. jide is olajide

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by dddaaayyyooo(m): 5:19pm On May 13, 2013
What of a child Born with Blackberry on his Hand, what will Yoruba Call him? Please tell me I Beg of U

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by egregous: 5:23pm On May 13, 2013
Abiodun Chukwu

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures, Slight And Sound Of Northern Nigeria. / Beautiful Faces Of Africa / Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.