Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,199 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:31 AM

The African Phenotype Diversity Thread - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread (69967 Views)

South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity / Ethnic Groups Of Africa---- Let's Embrace Our Diversity. / Countries Of The World Ranked By Linguistic Diversity (nigeria @ #5) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 10:36pm On Oct 10, 2013
Mali

1 Like

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 9:00am On Oct 12, 2013
Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 8:46pm On Oct 12, 2013
Tuareg

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 4:42pm On Oct 20, 2013
Amhara (Ethiopia)

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by Nobody: 10:37pm On Oct 26, 2013
@TerryCarr

Thanks for actually contributing to this thread. smiley

Forgot about this thread...

1 Like

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by Fulaman198(m): 6:13pm On Oct 27, 2013
TerryCarr:

That is a Bodaddo Fulani woman
Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by Nobody: 3:23pm On Nov 04, 2013
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1395036_omovalley_jpg99c57e003a84821692b493d20c21ec6f

arbore tribe, debub omo zone, photograph by joey lawrence
Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 8:25am On Nov 29, 2013
Mursi

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 12:11pm On Dec 08, 2013
khoisan

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 1:56pm On Dec 18, 2013
san
Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 2:16pm On Jan 06, 2014
hamer
Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 2:25pm On Jan 06, 2014
San

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by SomaliKing: 2:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
SOMALI grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by wazzoz99: 12:53pm On Jan 08, 2014
Proud hararian ethiopian[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xrEUEYn.jpg[/IMG]
Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by Godagesil: 6:58pm On Dec 22, 2014
A couple of things. As a geoscientist I noticed that the map you show of Africa overlain by other countries looks to be Mercator projections of the other countries, so the map is only showing a distortion over distortions. Try doing the same exercise with the Peters Map Projection. Africa is large but so is China and South America. You are only perpetuating misleading information.

As to the Phenotypes of Africa. I had an ancestor, a great grand mother who was probably a Quadroon, or even a Mulatto. My fraternal twin grand father showed traits of his African ancestry as did his sister but none of his other siblings did. While my father and I am "swarthy" we exhibit no obvious African traits.

Now doing about 5 minutes worth of research I was able to find out that only about 1 million slaves were imported into the United States during the period of slavery. They all came from the West coast nations of Africa. Central and East African peoples were enslaved in Egypt and the Middle East.

So if any of that is true, and I believe it is, the phenotypes that were enslaved and imported into the US were all of West Africa, countries such as Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Togo-Benin Ivory Coast, Sierra Leon, Guinea, Congo and Angola, all what would be called the Niger-Congo linguistic group.

Your arguments about African Diversity start to fall apart when you take into consideration the facts above. I take it your argument is primarily you want to downplay the role admixing of Caucasian blood might play in the diversity of appearance in Black Americans. The easiest way is to do a DNA test.

Admixing in North America was a fact in at least the early colonies like New Orleans. Due to the dearth of women, there were a lot of mulatto children being born and the colonial men were chasing after Native American women causing poor relations between the two groups. The solution was to import French women from the prisons throughout France and send the to New Orleans. There were still too few and Mulatto kids continued to be born, and with it their mothers and they were freed through manumission resulting in a relatively large free black population. The Code Noire was written to keep the mulattos from marrying full blooded African Blacks, reserving the coffee colored mulattos, Quadroons and Octaroons for the Creole men who continued to have kids by them. There were even Quadroon Balls, with the same purpose, to march out the young mixed race women so they could be selected to be a mistress to one of the wealthy Creole (it means native...as in original colonist) men, who would then support her and her kids for life and place them in a home up on Rampart street in the north French Quarter. So you can imagine after several hundred years of this, starting in the early 1700's, there was a lot of admixing going on. Beyoncé, Halley Barry, Vanessa Williams and too many other beautiful "black" women are really products of this kind of admixing of racial groups. The mass migration after the Civil War and the Great Depression of southern blacks to northern cities, just mixed it even more. I have been to rural areas of southern Virginia, Mississippi and Louisiana where the blacks were indistinguishable from those you see in the Congo or north East Africa. The only real way to determine if the variability you see in American black "phenotypes" is to do a DNA profile. That would show for certain that most Americans of African Ancestry are really Americans of mixed African and European ancestry. My daughter now knows that she has Native American and English from her mother, and German, Scottish and African from her father. There is a reason Black Americans and White Americans look so distinct when compared to the groups from which they supposedly came.
Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by BlackKenichi(m): 7:44pm On Dec 22, 2014
Godagesil:
A couple of things. As a geoscientist I noticed that the map you show of Africa overlain by other countries looks to be Mercator projections of the other countries, so the map is only showing a distortion over distortions. Try doing the same exercise with the Peters Map Projection. Africa is large but so is China and South America. You are only perpetuating misleading information.
So what!?

Godagesil:
As to the Phenotypes of Africa. I had an ancestor, a great grand mother who was probably a Quadroon, or even a Mulatto. My fraternal twin grand father showed traits of his African ancestry as did his sister but none of his other siblings did. While my father and I am "swarthy" we exhibit no obvious African traits.
Good for you!

Godagesil:
Now doing about 5 minutes worth of research I was able to find out that only about 1 million slaves were imported into the United States during the period of slavery. They all came from the West coast nations of Africa. Central and East African peoples were enslaved in Egypt and the Middle East.
What's your point?

Godagesil:
So if any of that is true, and I believe it is, the phenotypes that were enslaved and imported into the US were all of West Africa, countries such as Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Togo-Benin Ivory Coast, Sierra Leon, Guinea, Congo and Angola, all what would be called the Niger-Congo linguistic group.
Cameroon and the Congos are in Central Africa while Angola is in both Central and Southern Africa.

Godagesil:
Your arguments about African Diversity start to fall apart when you take into consideration the facts above. I take it your argument is primarily you want to downplay the role admixing of Caucasian blood might play in the diversity of appearance in Black Americans. The easiest way is to do a DNA test.
Straw man argument. Nobody was downplaying Euro admixture in Aframs.

Godagesil:
Admixing in North America was a fact in at least the early colonies like New Orleans. Due to the dearth of women, there were a lot of mulatto children being born and the colonial men were chasing after Native American women causing poor relations between the two groups. The solution was to import French women from the prisons throughout France and send the to New Orleans. There were still too few and Mulatto kids continued to be born, and with it their mothers and they were freed through manumission resulting in a relatively large free black population. The Code Noire was written to keep the mulattos from marrying full blooded African Blacks, reserving the coffee colored mulattos, Quadroons and Octaroons for the Creole men who continued to have kids by them. There were even Quadroon Balls, with the same purpose, to march out the young mixed race women so they could be selected to be a mistress to one of the wealthy Creole (it means native...as in original colonist) men, who would then support her and her kids for life and place them in a home up on Rampart street in the north French Quarter. So you can imagine after several hundred years of this, starting in the early 1700's, there was a lot of admixing going on. Beyoncé, Halley Barry, Vanessa Williams and too many other beautiful "black" women are really products of this kind of admixing of racial groups. The mass migration after the Civil War and the Great Depression of southern blacks to northern cities, just mixed it even more. I have been to rural areas of southern Virginia, Mississippi and Louisiana where the blacks were indistinguishable from those you see in the Congo or north East Africa. The only real way to determine if the variability you see in American black "phenotypes" is to do a DNA profile. That would show for certain that most Americans of African Ancestry are really Americans of mixed African and European ancestry. My daughter now knows that she has Native American and English from her mother, and German, Scottish and African from her father. There is a reason Black Americans and White Americans look so distinct when compared to the groups from which they supposedly came.
Oh my god who the hell cares!

1 Like

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 7:34am On Dec 23, 2014
Nilotics

2 Likes

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by Nobody: 3:00am On Dec 28, 2014
Godagesil:

Who the hell is talking about African American admixture! This thread is about AFRICAN repeat AFRICAN phenotype diversity...

Where the hell are you getting all this nonsense from? And how is it relevant to this thread

1 Like

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 4:03am On Dec 31, 2014
Southern ethiopia

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by TerryCarr(m): 6:20pm On Feb 02, 2015
Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by morpheus24: 9:15pm On Feb 02, 2015
KidStranglehold:

Who the hell is talking about African American admixture! This thread is about AFRICAN repeat AFRICAN phenotype diversity...
Where the hell are you getting all this nonsense from? And how is it relevant to this thread

I read through his post and couldn't understand the relevance with his Quadroon and Mulatto stories bout New Orleans plus the fact that he doesn't understand that many slaves originated from central-Southern Africa just goes to show you how clueless this person is.
Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by morpheus24: 9:17pm On Feb 02, 2015
TerryCarr:
san

Wonder what causes pepper corn hair types in Khoi and san, Some then to think it has something to do with Sulphur in the air. Hmmm
Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by sherlock229(m): 12:04pm On Feb 27, 2016
somalia5:
africa doesnt mean black u idiiooot

and north africans and horn africans are not negroid and enslaved u negroids

so stop talkin about us as if we africa= black

without north africa and horners u guys are all a bunch of gorillas and everyone knows that

You are dumb,Somali ugly scum,sacked teeth pirate.

1 Like

Re: The African Phenotype Diversity Thread by Trevorkhaba(m): 9:47pm On Feb 20, 2017
morpheus24:

Wonder what causes pepper corn hair types in Khoi and san, Some then to think it has something to do with Sulphur in the air. Hmmm

No, its just genes. Many South Africans have hair like the kid on the right

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.