Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** (5030 Views)

Religious Intolerance: Lessons From Yoruba ‘paganism’ / Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano / Religious Intolerance............islamic Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Salore4real(m): 9:07pm On May 13, 2013
Even a blind man can see and a deaf man can hear and acknowledge that religious intolerance is at its highest heights in the country in recent times. The question begging for answers is, 'WHO IS CULPABLE for this mess??

From the religious teachers, the parents, the media, YOU, I,..., down to the criminal that carries a gun in one hand, and a religious book in another; spreading death and destruction in defiance to the teachings contained in the scriptures. We are all equally culpable.. How?, you may ask.. This is the question i intend to answer in this short treatise.

The religious leaders are usually trusted as custodians of religious knowledge, more or less as ambassadors of faith. Whatever they preach is usually considered as the voice of God. However, many of them have capitalised on this fact, coupled with the fact that ours is a lazy generation that hardly reads the scripture, to spread wrong teachings of hate to the unsuspecting, ignorant congregations who "righteously" put to action what the preachers preach. They are culpable because they teach the people as though there is a competition between them and others. They teach their followers to hate adherents of other faiths. Pastors and Imams are culpable for this crime of purposely spreading hate, whereas it is against dictates of their faiths.. This cycle of intolerance will be most effectively stemmed if all preachers preach religious tolerance.. If they refuse, then it is our duty not to listen to them..

Parents are also culpable. Many people raise their children to hate adherents of other faiths. They teach them this by their words and deeds. Like we all know, children are more likely to pick their parents values as 'RIGHT'. A muslim man lectures his child on the wickedness of the enemy-christains who slaughtered muslims in their millions during the crusades and a christain man teaches his children to hate any bearded muslim man or hijabi muslim woman because; "they are all evil, 'bloodsucking' beasts". Thus, the cycle of hate continues like that and will continue until parents start indoctrinating their children with the truth. Teach your child to follow your religion and respect other people's religions. That is a sure way to PEACE...

The media is also culpable and is largely responsible for the mis-information going on among the public. Once a 'muslim' criminal is caught, Islam is mentioned. As if it was Islam that taught him the crime in the first place. The Christains are like, Aha! There goes a typical muslim. The muslims become enraged and so, in retaliation, when a 'christain' criminal is caught, they also emphasize his being christain as if christainity has sanctioned his misdeeds.. This cycle of madness continues to intensify and further fuels religious hatred.. Unless and until we started treating criminals as criminals and come out with one voice against crime, religious intolerance will continue to rise..

YOU and I are also culpable. In the social media, we hurl abuses at the other religions. The christain man sees all muslims as "BokoHaram" while the Muslims view all christains as trouble-makers alike. Comments like this on the internet that are purposely aimed at denigrating other peoples religion only cause further hatred and distrust among the people. You and I take pride in partaking in this blind attack of other peoples' religions. We often sacrifice rationality, all in a bid to score 'religious' points while neglecting the very dictates of our religion. We allow ourselves to be sheepishly guided by people who profit from the hatred flowing all around.. We are CULPABLE!! YES, WE ALL ARE
Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 13, 2013
Great piece!

Religious people shoudl bear responsibility for their bigotry, ignoranc or intolerance for once.

They tell their children not to asscoaite with christians or pagans if they are muslims
Christians say that their children should avoid pagans and atheists

Pastors deceive their followers with false spiritual rewards for tithes
Pastors decieve with fake healings
Children become branded as witches
Imams preaching hate about anything non-muslim

====================

Yet, it is atheists and humanists in Nigeria that speaqk the loudest on these issues. Just even look at nairaland, the christians were reluctnt to call out the scam that pastor Benny Hinn was propagating
https://www.nairaland.com/1274341/benny-hinn-needs-donate-he

So many other examples where religious people keep silent.

There was one where there was a fresh incident- muslims in Pakistan burnt a whole town down because of a false allegation of blapshemy......what did the muslims do? They were silent and then their leader Tbaba went to to create a thread about muslims being massacred far back over 10 years ago, just to play the victim
https://www.nairaland.com/1220883/blasphemy-riots-arson-pakistan-over

Take responsiblity....stop trying to shield your religion and save lives, save Nigeria

1 Like

Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Salore4real(m): 7:12am On May 14, 2013
I am a MUSLIM o... But it is glaring the religious intolerance does no one any good..

1 Like

Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Salore4real(m): 7:15am On May 14, 2013
I am a MUSLIM o... But it is glaring the religious intolerance does no one any good..

I quite agree with you that there is complicity in silence. When a crime is commited, we all must come out to speak against it IN ONE VOICE. This will alert all criminals that they are on their own.. When we keep silent, we tacitly give our approval for their evil deeds and the criminals become more emboldened

1 Like

Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Nobody: 7:17am On May 14, 2013
Salore4real: I am a MUSLIM o... But it is glaring the religious intolerance does no one any good..

Good, then tell your Nairaland muslim brothers on the other section to speak up against religious intolerance from their fellow muslims in Nigeria.

The very fact that all religions came share a section on NL but islam cant and is separate shows what?
Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Salore4real(m): 7:32am On May 14, 2013
Logicboy03:

The very fact that all religions came share a section on NL but islam cant and is separate shows what?

Yeah, some of us do speak out against anybody intolerant of others. Maybe the muslims opting for a different section is due to the fact that the muslims are the most verbally-attacked group in the media. Many people brand all muslims as terrorists, evil etc. And you know, right thinking christains also keep quiet, instead of calling the erring ones to order.. Like i said earlier, we are all culpable for the mess we have found ourselves and we must take concrete steps to correct the mess we have created.. Let warring parties down their weapons and give peace and tolerance a chance
Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Salore4real(m): 7:33am On May 14, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yeah, some of us do speak out against anybody intolerant of others but we represent only a MINORITY.

Maybe the muslims opting for a different section is due to the fact that the muslims are the most verbally-attacked group in the media. Many people brand all muslims as terrorists, evil etc. And you know, right thinking christains also keep quiet, instead of calling the erring ones to order..

Like i said earlier, we are all culpable for the mess we have found ourselves and we must take concrete steps to correct the mess we have created.. Let warring parties down their weapons and give peace and tolerance a chance
Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Nobody: 8:06am On May 14, 2013
Salore4real:

Yeah, some of us do speak out against anybody intolerant of others. Maybe the muslims opting for a different section is due to the fact that the muslims are the most verbally-attacked group in the media. Many people brand all muslims as terrorists, evil etc. And you know, right thinking christains also keep quiet, instead of calling the erring ones to order.. Like i said earlier, we are all culpable for the mess we have found ourselves and we must take concrete steps to correct the mess we have created.. Let warring parties down their weapons and give peace and tolerance a chance

Wrong- christians are the most verbally attacked.

The catholic church gets abuse daily (ped.ophilia, gay hypocrisy, wealthy pope etc)
Mormons- Joseh smith a fraud
Evangelicals bling and tithe pastors

etc

Better yet, christians take this criticism and some even join in the criticism and take steps to make their religion better because the criticisms are mostly true.

=======================================

You, as a muslim with bias falsely claim that muslims are the most verbally attacked. You orget that much of the verbal attacks stem from the fault of muslms

-are boko haram not muslim terrorists?
-is saudi arabia not an intolerant state?
-Can you set up a church in Saudi?
-Are child brides not a problem in many muslim countries?
-Is wife beating no espoused by some muslims?
Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Salore4real(m): 2:06pm On May 14, 2013
how do you mean i am with bias?? i do not mean to say all criticisms are false. what i intend to say is that we should all jointly criticize the bad eggs in the society without necessarily tying their misdeeds to their religion.. in my opinion, we have two classes of people; GOOD people and BAD people. whether or not the christains or muslims are most-verbally accused is not the main issue. the main issue is, it is all wrong and should be abandoned
Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Nobody: 2:11pm On May 14, 2013
Salore4real: how do you mean i am with bias?? i do not mean to say all criticisms are false. what i intend to say is that we should all jointly criticize the bad eggs in the society without necessarily tying their misdeeds to their religion.. in my opinion, we have two classes of people; GOOD people and BAD people. whether or not the christains or muslims are most-verbally accused is not the main issue. the main issue is, it is all wrong and should be abandoned

Good. Then stop being a hypocrite and start with your islamic section . Charity begins at home
Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Salore4real(m): 3:04pm On May 14, 2013
i detest hypocrisy and do not intend to be one.. I will gladly do so.i didn't just put it there because it would have restricted the audience but i will copy the article, if possible, and paste it there
Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 14, 2013
Salore4real: i detest hypocrisy and do not intend to be one.. I will gladly do so.i didn't just put it there because it would have restricted the audience but i will copy the article, if possible, and paste it there

No, not at all,

What I meant was thatyou should start posting threads about muslims being more tolerant in the islam section.

Sorry for being harsh

1 Like

Re: ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** by tpiander: 12:10am On Sep 05, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Karma Is False / How Do You Handle Cobweb Attack / Is Belief In Jesus Enough For Salvation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.