Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,037 members, 7,807,115 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

The Yoruba Man And The Door - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The Yoruba Man And The Door (1287 Views)

Get Graphics Work Done and delivered to your door At Great Prices / Printing Press At Your Door Step. / Get Your Video Door Bells With Free Installation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Yoruba Man And The Door by Livermeka: 9:59pm On May 13, 2013
I found this hilarious post in a blog by a talented Nigerian artist and I have been really amazed by her ingenuity but I'm thinking of what to do with my old door

The Yoruba Man (MIXED MEDIA ON WOOD) Oil and Acrylic Painting.
Cleaning up a place or a storage is always a daunting rewarding task, and that was exactly how my cleaning exercise at my Garage turned Art Studio felt. When I had finished the uphill task of cleaning, clearing, repainting the walls all by myself., it indeed opened my eyes to the potential and possibilities, of some of the items I had earmarked as waste.

One such item was my old work surface, a Simple wooden door placed on a wooden cupboard, used basically for everything art. The wear and tear, could be felt each time it was in use. I finally got myself a new work surface and as I was about to pack it with the waste materials for the garbage disposal truck, it Struck me, that this door could actually be transformed into something special and here I was about to discard what could be of more value than it had been.

Indeed, that was a light bulb moment! I decided to turn this old door into a mixed media painting, using acrylic and oil paints on the already disused textured surface.

My subject a Yoruba Man. I felt a huge personal reward,when I finished this painting, one of inspiration and satisfaction, that I had done the right thing!.
BEHOLD THE OLD USED DOOR

VOILA -YORUBA MAN BY MIABO

Think again, what can you do with some of that junk? There is nothing you cannot find another use for. This object was originally a door, and for years became my work table when I placed it on an old cupboard in the Garage. It is now one of my most sought after paintings.
I grew up in Lagos, South-west Nigeria and despite it's cosmopolitan nature, remains the bastion of the Yoruba and the peculiar nature of their dressing leaves an indelible cultural mark that is distinguishable anywhere you find someone adorned with the attire, you knew immediately, it was a Yoruba man.
CHECK THE BLOG FOR THE IMAGES
http://artmiabo..com/
Re: The Yoruba Man And The Door by ceo003: 11:55am On Jun 12, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Graphic Designs By Julio Kartowinangoen / Learning Animations. First Thing First. / See Amazing Drawing Of Donald Trump & Other Celebrities By A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.