Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State (22736 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Attack Soldiers In Agatu, Benue State / Fulani-Herdsmen Shoot At David Mark In Agatu / Breaking News: Fresh Bomb Blast Kills 50 In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Dospix(m): 1:12am On May 14, 2013
THE crisis between Fulani herdsmen and Agatu farmers in Benue State assumed another dimension on Sunday, when suspected Fulani herdsmen were said to have launched an attack on the people at Ekwo Okpachenyi council area while at a burial site, killing about 45 people.

Governor Gabriel Suswam who spoke to newsmen after an emergency meeting with security chiefs on Monday, confirmed the attack on Agatu people, but explained that he could not give the actual figure of the casualty.

According to him, “the Fulani invasion on some parts of the state has continued unabated. Just Sunday evening, there was a fresh attack on people of Agatu. As a result of that, I have sent delegation to the place for an on-the-spot assessment. So I cannot say for now the number of people killed in the incident. Perhaps by tomorrow (today), we will be able to give the accurate things that happened there.

“But I can assure you that the security operatives are on top of the situation. As I am talking to you now, soldiers and mobile policemen have been drafted to the place to keep surveillance, so also other areas like Guma and other parts of Makurdi. If you notice you will discover that normalcy has returned to the area,” he said.

The governor promised that he would formally present the situation to the president, but assured that there was no cause for alarm.

This is just as he denied the rumours doing the round that the marauders were kept in the neighbouring state of Nasarawa.

According to eyewitnesses, people from the village were said to be at a burial site of one of the slain police officer in Nasarawa State, who hailed from the village, when the herdsmen launched the attack.

The liaison officer to Governor Suswam, Chief German Adobunu, who confirmed the report, expressed shock at the unprovoked attack at Ekwo-Okpanchenyi, adding that the suspected herdsmen struck immediately after the burial.

He said the herdsmen destroyed most of the houses at Ekwo-Okpanchenyi, forcing many of the residents to become displaced people in Apa and Otukpo local government areas, as well as part of Kogi State.

A member of state House of Assembly, Honourable Sule Audu, while speaking with the Nigerian Tribune on phone, confirmed the report and put the casualty figure at 40.

Similarly, the state Commissioner for Works and Transport, Mr John Ngbede, who is an indigene of Agatu, described the attack as “an attempt to eliminate the people of the area,” stating that the attack came without any provocation.

In a swift reaction, the secretary of Miyetti Allah Cattle Rearers Association in Benue State, Garus Gololo, said the herdsmen attacked the Agatu people in order to recover their cows, numbered about 550, which he alleged were hijacked by the Agatu people.

Gololo, speaking with newsmen on phone, said people should know that the herdsmen valued their cows more than anything, alluding that the Agatu people were being economical with the truth.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Daniel Ezeala, when contacted, said the police authorities were yet to confirm the number of casualties, adding that the command had deployed its men in the area.

Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan, again, met with security chiefs early on Monday, the second time in less than a week.

At the meeting, held at his office, were all the service chiefs, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki (retd); the Director-General, State Security Service (SSS), Mr Ita Ekpeyong and the Inspector General of Police, M. D. Abubakar.

Though nothing was disclosed about the meeting, it was expected to have been in connection with the recent killing of policemen by the Ombatse cult in Nasarawa State, as well as the insurgency by the Boko Haram sect in the North.

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/item/11828-45-killed-in-fresh-communal-clash-in-benue-jonathan-security-chiefs-meet-in-abuja

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by idupaul: 1:36am On May 14, 2013
And yet when this people form militia to protect themselves the govt will send police to hunt them and yet leave fulani to roam about ... Governor Al Makura should be held responsible for using his state to harbour Fulani mecrnaries used to destabilize the middle belt ..By voting the CPC Nassarawa had brought bloodshed to the middlebelt

18 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by mej67: 5:37am On May 14, 2013
[quote author=Dospix

The mourners had gathered to bury two of the policemen killed last week Tuesday by Ombatse cult members in Nassarawa state. Anarchy in our land! [/quote]

So it was all a village affair? Wasn't the Police authority there as part of normal burial cceremony accordedd officers that died in the line of duty? Or they got overpowered again?
This deserves full official enquiry

4 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Nobody: 6:57am On May 14, 2013
idupaul: And yet when this people form militia to protect themselves the govt will send police to hunt them and yet leave fulani to roam about ... Governor Al Makura should be held responsible for using his state to harbour Fulani mecrnaries used to destabilize the middle belt ..By voting the CPC Nassarawa had brought bloodshed to the middlebelt:
He who brings ant infested wood to hid house should not be surprised when lizards start visiting him.
When we say don't trust anything associated with the Ayatollah, his henchmen will say we are clueless.
Una see una sef now? tongue

5 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by slap1(m): 6:59am On May 14, 2013
No link to verify your story, mate, or did you witness the shooting?

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Nobody: 7:17am On May 14, 2013
We have surpassed mexico n columbia in crime. No doubt; guns should be legalized! Because, whether they re legalized or not I am going to get mine ASAP. I gotta protect myself brother!!!

4 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Maxymilliano(m): 7:28am On May 14, 2013
When can we have an end to the menace of herdsmen? Why do they appear invincible and who are the real faces and hands behind their new-found rampaging slaughter business
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by FulaniBOII(m): 7:29am On May 14, 2013
hmm
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by bcomputer101: 7:32am On May 14, 2013
Is the picture the source of the news?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Geomac: 8:20am On May 14, 2013
THE crisis between Fulani herdsmen and Agatu farmers in Benue State assumed another dimension on Sunday, when suspected Fulani herdsmen were said to have launched an attack on the people at Ekwo Okpachenyi council area while at a burial site, killing about 45 people.

Governor Gabriel Suswam who spoke to newsmen after an emergency meeting with security chiefs on Monday, confirmed the attack on Agatu people, but explained that he could not give the actual figure of the casualty.

According to him, “the Fulani invasion on some parts of the state has continued unabated. Just Sunday evening, there was a fresh attack on people of Agatu. As a result of that, I have sent delegation to the place for an on-the-spot assessment. So I cannot say for now the number of people killed in the incident. Perhaps by tomorrow (today), we will be able to give the accurate things that happened there.

“But I can assure you that the security operatives are on top of the situation. As I am talking to you now, soldiers and mobile policemen have been drafted to the place to keep surveillance, so also other areas like Guma and other parts of Makurdi. If you notice you will discover that normalcy has returned to the area,” he said.

The governor promised that he would formally present the situation to the president, but assured that there was no cause for alarm.

This is just as he denied the rumours doing the round that the marauders were kept in the neighbouring state of Nasarawa.

According to eyewitnesses, people from the village were said to be at a burial site of one of the slain police officer in Nasarawa State, who hailed from the village, when the herdsmen launched the attack.

The liaison officer to Governor Suswam, Chief German Adobunu, who confirmed the report, expressed shock at the unprovoked attack at Ekwo-Okpanchenyi, adding that the suspected herdsmen struck immediately after the burial.

He said the herdsmen destroyed most of the houses at Ekwo-Okpanchenyi, forcing many of the residents to become displaced people in Apa and Otukpo local government areas, as well as part of Kogi State.

A member of state House of Assembly, Honourable Sule Audu, while speaking with the Nigerian Tribune on phone, confirmed the report and put the casualty figure at 40.

Similarly, the state Commissioner for Works and Transport, Mr John Ngbede, who is an indigene of Agatu, described the attack as “an attempt to eliminate the people of the area,” stating that the attack came without any provocation.

In a swift reaction, the secretary of Miyetti Allah Cattle Rearers Association in Benue State, Garus Gololo, said the herdsmen attacked the Agatu people in order to recover their cows, numbered about 550, which he alleged were hijacked by the Agatu people.

Gololo, speaking with newsmen on phone, said people should know that the herdsmen valued their cows more than anything, alluding that the Agatu people were being economical with the truth.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Daniel Ezeala, when contacted, said the police authorities were yet to confirm the number of casualties, adding that the command had deployed its men in the area.

Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan, again, met with security chiefs early on Monday, the second time in less than a week.

At the meeting, held at his office, were all the service chiefs, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki (retd); the Director-General, State Security Service (SSS), Mr Ita Ekpeyong and the Inspector General of Police, M. D. Abubakar.

Though nothing was disclosed about the meeting, it was expected to have been in connection with the recent killing of policemen by the Ombatse cult in Nasarawa State, as well as the insurgency by the Boko Haram sect in the North.

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/item/11828-45-killed-in-fresh-communal-clash-in-benue-jonathan-security-chiefs-meet-in-abuja
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by pomporiking: 8:20am On May 14, 2013
Dis nL d way una dey write story sef..na where you hear dis oneso cos you posted it we must believe abi
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Tintinix: 8:28am On May 14, 2013
Yet the Commander in Chief of the State says there is no cause for alarm!
It is well!

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Tolexander: 8:36am On May 14, 2013
Who are these fulanis self!

Hope they aren't another insurgents that need amnesty?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Nobody: 8:41am On May 14, 2013
[email]What is wrong with these Fulani people na?[/email] www.plansofbokoharam.org

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Dospix(m): 9:12am On May 14, 2013
Geomac: THE crisis between Fulani herdsmen and Agatu farmers in Benue State assumed another dimension on Sunday, when suspected Fulani herdsmen were said to have launched an attack on the people at Ekwo Okpachenyi council area while at a burial site, killing about 45 people.

With this i don't need to go further.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by funnyx(m): 9:21am On May 14, 2013
What is the governor of the state doing? Are these governors comfortable with the continuous killing of their state's indigenes by these satanic fulani herdsmen? They should form their own states militia and arm them to deal with these blood thirsty vampires.

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Wily2wily: 9:33am On May 14, 2013
Tolexander: Who are these fulanis self!
They are the senior brothers of Yorubas

5 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by juman(m): 9:44am On May 14, 2013
Unfortunate country. People are being killed in the country like killing insects.

Which way nigeria?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by lifestyle1(m): 9:50am On May 14, 2013
This is disheartening undecided
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Lilimax(f): 9:50am On May 14, 2013
These Hausa fulanis are not different from the cattle they are rearing.
They sometimes reason like animals with no attachement to importance of human lives
Their menace should be curbed asap.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by 1shortblackboy: 9:54am On May 14, 2013
These villagers should procure guns and form vigilantees to protect themselves na this is becoming unbecoming angry
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by avalontony(m): 9:55am On May 14, 2013
i can hear the sound of War drums......... RIP to the dead!!!!!!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Osama10(m): 9:56am On May 14, 2013
Can Nigeria even make it up to the 2015?

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by hardbody: 9:58am On May 14, 2013
Raymondenyi: We have surpassed mexico n columbia in crime. No doubt; guns should be legalized! Because, whether they re legalized or not I am going to get mine ASAP. I gotta protect myself brother!!!

I can help you with the licence and the rod, no matter the calibre you desire
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Cocodiva: 9:58am On May 14, 2013
Fulani fulani fulani everywhere. What is it with this people spilling blood everywhere they go. And where did they get guns from? angry
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by hardbody: 10:00am On May 14, 2013
Tolexander: Who are these fulanis self!

Hope they aren't another insurgents that need amnesty?

Another insurgents willing to give Nigeria amnesty just the way BH has turned down your amnesty offer saying they are the ones to grant Nigeria amnesty. This country is doomed.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Wily2wily: 10:00am On May 14, 2013
Lilimax: These Hausa fulanis are not different from the cattle they are rearing.
They sometimes reason like animals with no attachement to importance of human lives
Their menace should be curbed asap.
Some times i like what Fulanis are doing to them, even pop champagne and dance Azonto with my grandpa anytime we hear this kind of nice News
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by MadCow1: 10:01am On May 14, 2013
Allahu Akbar..
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by EveryLadY(f): 10:01am On May 14, 2013
Delta state govt banned them recently and some people were talking trash against him.Every state in the SE/SW/SS should borrow a leaf from Delta state.Ban these herdsmen,device means of keeping them off their territory.I think its time the whole southern Nigeria rise together against these heinous people

6 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Ucheosefoh(m): 10:02am On May 14, 2013
Dospix: With this i don't need to go further.
U could have spare us the suffering by not quoting the whole story only to type this few words
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by Nobody: 10:02am On May 14, 2013
If you don't own a GUN right now then you will be taken unawares, the state of this nation requires every citizen to be armed in other to protect himself and family. The security of this nation has failed us and if you keep relying on them then you are on your own.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Over 50 In Agatu, Benue State by hardbody: 10:07am On May 14, 2013
Errrhhmmm, GOWON means Go -On-With-One-Nigeria.

He fought alongside the fulani herdsmen to slaughter innocent women, men and children for the sake of one Nigeria and he is from Plateau. What was it again about nemesis? anyways, what goes round comes round. And i thank the Lord that it is hapening in his Life time.

As for the bereaved, what can i say?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fayemi: “I Am Going To Resign My Appointment As Minister In The Next 2 Weeks" / Fresh Leadership Crisis Looms In APC / Group Offers Stowaway Teenager A Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.