Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,203 members, 7,807,684 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? (2292 Views)

Britain Or Canada? / 10 Things All Nigerians Wishing To Travel Overseas Must Know / Anyone Studying In Portugal!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by Nobody: 7:19am On May 14, 2013
I'm 17 years old and I graduated secondary school last year August. Thanks to God, I got two offers when I graduated: from University of Glamorgan, Wales (now University of South Wales) and a Canadian college. I decided to go to Canada in January and so far it's been really disappointing. My first semester- which ended in April- was the worst period of my life: I had no friends, no relatives here to talk to, nobody. Not to mention I failed two courses out of four- and I'd never failed anything before! My older brother schools in Cardiff University, Wales and has advised me, along with my parents to quit school here and start over in the UK. I'm currently studying Computer Science and, looking at the way things are going now, I'm not sure I'll be able to transfer to a good university. Isn't it better to study Software Engineering (my dream goal) in the UK instead of struggling and changing my course to an Arts course here in Canada?
Re: Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by justwise(m): 8:23am On May 14, 2013
Cori_corde: I'm 17 years old and I graduated secondary school last year August. Thanks to God, I got two offers when I graduated: from University of Glamorgan, Wales (now University of South Wales) and a Canadian college. I decided to go to Canada in January and so far it's been really disappointing. My first semester- which ended in April- was the worst period of my life: I had no friends, no relatives here to talk to, nobody. Not to mention I failed two courses out of four- and I'd never failed anything before! My older brother schools in Cardiff University, Wales and has advised me, along with my parents to quit school here and start over in the UK. I'm currently studying Computer Science and, looking at the way things are going now, I'm not sure I'll be able to transfer to a good university. Isn't it better to study Software Engineering (my dream goal) in the UK instead of struggling and changing my course to an Arts course here in Canada?

I completely understand your situation, it could be really difficult away from home with no support network even for an adult.
Have you spoken to your department or international office about transferring to the UK?
Re: Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by Nobody: 8:39am On May 14, 2013
justwise:

I completely understand your situation, it could be really difficult away from home with no support network even for an adult.
Have you spoken to your department or international office about transferring to the UK?

Thank you so much for replying. I did talk to a counsellor at the end of the last semester, but she told me to hang on for one more semester. But I still feel...unsettled. I just don't want to regret wasting my time here in the long run.
Re: Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by justwise(m): 8:47am On May 14, 2013
Cori_corde:

Thank you so much for replying. I did talk to a counsellor at the end of the last semester, but she told me to hang on for one more semester. But I still feel...unsettled. I just don't want to regret wasting my time here in the long run.

With the way you are feeling it will even be harder to give it 100% study wise, speak to somebody in your depart, international office, get an university in the UK first and see the requirements, UK admission season is on now, so you have time now to sort it out.
Re: Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by 25omega(m): 3:04pm On May 14, 2013
Poster

sorry for your experience but how come you didn't make any friends? I mean i heard that Canadians are known for their kindness and friendliness. Also how much experience do you actually have with computer science. I know going in as a freshman you would expect to start from zero but a course like computer science can be difficult if you actually had no background in it.

if you switch to software engineering, you could be fine but you should actually check out the course work that is related to it to figure out if your interest will be maintained.

I say all these stuff because i know how our Nigerian parents can be with the i want my child to be this because i heard Mr. so and so say there is money in it. Don't get me wrong, you might be a genius who is just having adjustment issues but be sure you are studying something you can cope with this way the stress you feel about school will reduce which will allow you to be more social. just saying
Re: Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 14, 2013
@Op, Sorry for the bad experience so far. I could know how your feelings will be at the age of 17years old in foreign land where you don't have any relatives, even an adult would certainly have some challenges. I would advise you to be strong so you will be able to acquint to the environment and make sure you make good friends and be very open minded pending the time of transfering your credit and still when you get to your new school. Please make a wise choice this time in order to avoid another problem like this. You know yourself more than anybody,you know your career aspirations not what someone wants you to become, you know your ability and what you can perform excellently in it, please go for it and just be sincere to yourself. May God be with you.
Re: Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by Nobody: 6:34am On May 15, 2013
Cori_corde:

Follow your dream and don't let them deceive you. I am in similar situation in Cyprus and want to transfer to UK but, they were playing with my future. So, I have decided to go back to 9ja next month and make application to UK. I wish you good luck bro!
Re: Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by Nobody: 7:27am On May 15, 2013
@Poster

Its a normal feeling that most youth would experience in a new country where there is no family or friends available, I also has this feelings when I first came to Finland to study and it was horrible, especially the cold winter part because I arrived in October, but now I am over it, not surprising to me because a friend of mine who we came here together from Nigeria went back home, since he cannot cope.

You should mix up with other nationalities, Vancouver is a multicultural society, there are many things to do and places to go, do not always keep to yourself because you will always be bored.

And Finally, are you transferring to UK because you are bored and want to be closer to your brother or you are going to the UK because you wanted to change your course of study? software engineering is more harder and complicated than computer sciences, and you have to battle with programming for years, not trying to scare you, just talking from experience.

There are many schools in Vancouver or at least in Canada that offers your dream course, why don't you check it out? and depending on your long term plan, Canada would be the best place to get your residency after studies, its easier and at least less stressful when compare to the UK.

Wish you the best.
Re: Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 16, 2013
@OP Software Engineering, like anything Software Really, is largely based on what you do in the bedroom, not the classroom. TO be the best at it, and not just adequate, you have to be the sort of person who loves independent research (reading articles on methodologies, checking out and toying with frameworks of your interest, etc). It matters little where you are.

I'm a working Software Developer/Consultant (engineering Tech background) in Western Canada. One thing I know I lacked while I was in school was a connection with someone IN industry to help me know what's really up outside the classroom.
If you wish to create that link I wouldn't be adverse to it.
Re: Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by Ibime(m): 12:14am On May 17, 2013
My fellow halfki sister.

Moving abroad might feel like a big challenge, but many of us have done it before and experienced exactly the same as you.

Please don't enrol on any arts course. You are young, and can afford to give up a year of your life. I did the same as an A-Level student, repeating a year by moving cities from a place where I was lonely to London where I had many friends. It does make a big difference to your academic performance.

I must warn that Glemorgan is not a piece of cake either, but you will be closer to your family and closer to London where there are many of your kind. Don't settle for any arts course mi sister, do what you must, wash your eye and don't look back.
Re: Advice (studying Overseas): Uk Or Canada? by Nobody: 12:55am On May 17, 2013
Ibime: My fellow halfki sister.

Moving abroad might feel like a big challenge, but many of us have done it before and experienced exactly the same as you.

Please don't enrol on any arts course. You are young, and can afford to give up a year of your life. I did the same as an A-Level student, repeating a year by moving cities from a place where I was lonely to London where I had many friends. It does make a big difference to your academic performance.

I must warn that Glemorgan is not a piece of cake either, but you will be closer to your family and closer to London where there are many of your kind. Don't settle for any arts course mi sister, do what you must, wash your eye and don't look back.

This. Do Travel. Do move.
Don't be held back by foolishness.

(1) (Reply)

5 States That Are Currently Not Safe To Stay In Nigeria / How Can One Obtain Croatia Visa / 10 Top Green Cities In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.