Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,827 members, 7,798,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? (17479 Views)

He is offended by my way of greeting - advice needed / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? / The Traditional Culture Of Greeting In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by kokoye(m): 2:09pm On May 14, 2013
I noticed our people dont take the greeting "how are you" very nicely. When you greet them and say "how are you", most would feel you are being disrespectful. I have experienced this several times - someone actually told me he wasnt a kid when I greeted him that way...and a few did not even respond.

When I say 'how are you' to someone, I'm just checking on them..and I expect the same kind of greeting in return.

Am I alone in this ...and why do you think 'our' people feel disrespected with such a greeting?

8 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Kingslaw(m): 2:37pm On May 14, 2013
grin is just the Africans mentality of superiority.
that's all.
everybody wants to be the ''Oga at the top''.

15 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by kokoye(m): 3:47pm On May 14, 2013
crazy though.

what is wrong with a simple 'how are you?'

say it back to me ...darn!
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Pennywise(m): 3:56pm On May 14, 2013
Every culture has its peculiarities and sensitivities and if you want to thrive in contemporary Nigerian society, do not go around arrogantly telling folks 'How are you"? What is wrong with 'Hello Good morning or hello good afternoon'. I personally will spit in your face. I am by nature very polite and respectful. I dont tell people "how are you". Please do not tell me how are you unless you deliberately mean to be disrespectful.

If you are the type that is fixated on 'how' perhaps 'how 'r you doing' might be what you need.

24 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by kokoye(m): 4:43pm On May 14, 2013
^^^

Maybe you need to calm down.

I dont go around asking people how they are (even though there's nothing wrong with it).

Is there anything wrong with "Hi, how are you"...or "good morning, how are you?"

It has nothing to do with culture..it is just the 'Oga at the top' mentality like someone said earlier.

I dont know what tribe you are from what in yoruba, 'how are you' is the exact same thing as 'bawoni o' - i bet you noone takes offence at 'bawoni'.

Think about it.

8 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by javipee: 5:21pm On May 14, 2013
If im older than the person then its rude to me. Gbam!!!!!No Story angry angry angry

9 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by yuzedo: 5:23pm On May 14, 2013
reach mens dont care how u greeet dem. i saw my nebor alika dangotti in Banana Island so i say hey danny boy, wazzap, he say, am fine bro, but af not eat in 3 days. see? is only pour man dat hav natin dat always strogle for respeckt from small small childs. undecided undecided angry

40 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Abujafood: 5:24pm On May 14, 2013
Don't mind people and their shallow reasoning!

How are you just means hope you're doing good, any harm in asking? That is how they say you must not use your left hand to give or collect something as if the left hand was not created by God!

3 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by labbyboi(m): 5:24pm On May 14, 2013
Culturally, it shouldn't come from a younger to an older person...especially when given it yoruba interpretation; "bawo ni".

6 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Eneze1(f): 5:24pm On May 14, 2013
Personally I don't see anything wrong in 'How are you' to me its a form of greeting that shows an individual is asking after your well being, I do ask my Boos that and he doesn't see it as big deal, he even answers well and even the wife, so I guess it's just some cultures that feel it's an insult
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by ArQueBusieR(m): 5:25pm On May 14, 2013
Only a jobless person could be offended by a simple "how are you?". Fact.

6 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 14, 2013
That form of greeting does not go down well with most Nigerians including me. Especially when the questioner is your junior age-wise(i can understand if am your senior office-wise but age-wise you are my senior). Most folks that greet that way has with it an air of importance and arrogance attached with it, that's why even if the that form of greeting in itself is ok i don't entertain it personally.

6 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Agbalanze(m): 5:30pm On May 14, 2013
Its not wrong but our mentality in this part of the world has made it seem so wrong and may be we just have to respect that. Its just like telling someone to "c' mon".. When in the real sense, its some kind of gingering or boasting ones moral but here, we see it as an order!

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by HZwriters: 5:30pm On May 14, 2013
there is nothing wrong with saying how are you. it is only our thinking that might be wrong
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by supaeagles(m): 5:30pm On May 14, 2013
yuzedo: reach mens dont care how u greeet dem. i saw my nebor alika dangotti in Banana Island so i say hey danny boy, wazzap, he say, am fine bro, but af not eat in 3 days. see? is only pour man dat hav natin dat always strogle for respeckt from small small childs. undecided undecided >sad
Your shtick is funny.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by blackmale(m): 5:30pm On May 14, 2013
it depends on who you re greeting with the statement,,,, and the tone in which it sounds, for me i think if someone is way older than you,, then saying ;;how re you'' really looks somehow, my opinion though

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 14, 2013
There's •̸№ harm in asking how one is doing.But ‎u should show respect when asking an older person.How are ‎u doing Sir/Ma? And whoever doesn't like this can locate d nearest wall and hug it gringringrin

5 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by nerodenero: 5:35pm On May 14, 2013
labbyboi: Culturally, it shouldn't come from a younger to an older person...especially when given it yoruba interpretation; "bawo ni".
My thought too!

4 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Rapmaestro(m): 5:35pm On May 14, 2013
HA VA, na im dey reign na

4 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by rali123(f): 5:36pm On May 14, 2013
Personally I think it wrong most especially when you are greeting someone older than you, in Yoruba it means 'bawoni' and u won't want to be caught saying that to an elderly person.

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by AGgal(f): 5:36pm On May 14, 2013
It sounds rude wen its been said to a senior

3 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by hrhobi1(m): 5:36pm On May 14, 2013
There was a time in Ibadan when "How now" cause a lot of issues between guys. How now na for small kids. some dey use am form big boys.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by okolichibuzor(m): 5:37pm On May 14, 2013
there is a proverb tht says saluation is nt love....... To greet is nt by force. Bt as a reasonable human being you have to greet some one who senior you.... Greet is also a sign of respect

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by oliidell(m): 5:38pm On May 14, 2013
Nothing wrong with asking 'How are you?'. It's a polite form of greeting to show that you care about someone's well-being. However, the manner and the tone with which you say it determines if it comes out rude or not. Again, it's what we say to kiddies all the time and expect them to say 'fine'. Even though i don't see any qualms being asked how are you by my subordinates, i don't think it is proper in the African sense to ask your boss 'how are you' without sir or ma.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by blackmale(m): 5:38pm On May 14, 2013
kokoye: ^^^

Maybe you need to calm down.

I dont go around asking people how they are (even though there's nothing wrong with it).

Is there anything wrong with "Hi, how are you"...or "good morning, how are you?"

It has nothing to do with culture..it is just the 'Oga at the top' mentality like someone said earlier.

I dont know what tribe you are from what in yoruba, 'how are you' is the exact same thing as 'bawoni o' - i bet you noone takes offence at 'bawoni'.

Think about it.
then if you re from yoruba as you ve said,, then am sure you will not greet your uncle with'' BA WO NI''.... or your older brother, i guess they wont like tht from you

6 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by pekelepekele(m): 5:38pm On May 14, 2013
How are you is very rude. In fact I will slap one teeth comot for your mouth , If you say that to me

2 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by hotboti(f): 5:39pm On May 14, 2013
angryI get angry when I greet some1 nd d person says "hi" in return it pisses me off angry

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 14, 2013
Yes it sounds rude in our culture because that is how most adults like to greet the young. However, if you say it thus ' how are you this morning sir/ma' then no one will take offence.

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by AnanseK(m): 5:42pm On May 14, 2013
I always welcome "how are you " a decent and very straightforward greeting. My reply is always "Very well, thank you" and may follow up with conversation or not. I hate people who ask me "How is your night?" I get annoyed and confused and never know how the respond to such senseless greeting.

4 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 14, 2013
kokoye: I noticed our people dont take the greeting "how are you" very nicely. When you greet them and say "how are you", most would feel you are being disrespectful. I have experienced this several times - someone actually told me he wasnt a kid when I greeted him that way...and a few did not even respond.

When I say 'how are you' to someone, I'm just checking on them..and I expect the same kind of greeting in return.

Am I alone in this ...and why do you think 'our' people feel disrespected with such a greeting?

I understand how u mean....i also feel disrespected when some folks tell me "How are u?" Some people deliberately say it that way to show that they are you senior! I even had another experience today in a meeting with some engineers from industry regulators. I politely greeted him with "Hi, good morning! Hope you had a smooth trip down to our office?" The yeye guy just gave a straight face, reluctantly accepted my hand shake, and said "Well...you guys didn't send a chopper to pick us! How are you? (with a bossy tone in his voice)" I just gave him stern look and made him see how irritated i was @ his attitude.

In d morning, i tell my gf on fone/pinging; "Hi dear, gd morning, how na?" and she'll always reply "I'm fine, how are you? D difference is clear....she means no harm in her greetings....

So @Op, i think what makes me ppl react the way they do is the attitude of the person greeting / the tone in the person's voice

7 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by BecaciaBarbie(f): 5:43pm On May 14, 2013
Lmaooooo.....funny comments.

For someone am older than, well...kinda rude in a way, bt i dont get bothered or act up overit.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Ruq: 5:45pm On May 14, 2013
Psst!!! A lot of us are vexed niggaz, people like me know when to answer when someone asks "how are you ?" cuz about 98% of pricks spitting that ish don mean it. they see it as the normal response to Good morning/evening or whatever day it is.

A goon once asked me how are you and i said am not fine, he said you're not fine ke ?? undecided undecided and left.
Just about the same way people respond 'Fine' even when we are not.

I really don't give the slightest fraction of hoot when people ask me i just fuckin smile and say fine.
Nizzle when i ask you 'how are you ?' just say fine i don't care if just lost virginity with tonto dike! or the incrdible hulk just raped you.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Spirit Of Lagos / Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) / Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.