Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? (16562 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / Court Of Appeal Says Aisha Alhassan Is State’s Real Governor / Fulani Herdsmen Working For Boko Haram – Falae (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by ngooka: 10:25pm On May 14, 2013
Nigerians are happy as the president was announcing it, but I expected kano and kaduna to follow

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:26pm On May 14, 2013
State of Emergency is usually a tough measure for checking terrorists like Boko Haram.
However, I hope it ll be more effective & the purpose achieved.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Originalsly: 10:26pm On May 14, 2013
Think offering big rewards for critical inside info will go a very long way...far more economical...far more effective and will cause mistrust in the BK camp.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by eagle999: 10:27pm On May 14, 2013
State of emergency in the states declared is the right step in the right direction, but the governors of those states should have been given the Dariye treatment to make it more potent and effective. I believe it would make the other northern governors sit tight. Atiku once said governors gave arms to youths to win elections in their various states, it the result we are witnessing now. We need strong and decisive leadership in this country. So many ill's have been overlooked and so many people have gone scot free with murder.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Tinkybabe(f): 10:29pm On May 14, 2013
It's about the only feasible option at the moment.Can't think of a better suggestion.If this fails,I do not know what can be adopted to curb these miscreants.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Lexo22(m): 10:29pm On May 14, 2013
Yes... That's all
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by emiye(m): 10:29pm On May 14, 2013
The state of emergency is shiiiit as far as i am concerned, the questions i ask any reasonable person is.
is there a need to address the nation to deploy more troops to a warring state ? deployment of more troops is the only seemingly reasonable thing the State of emergency claim to address.

The c in c need to be sincere with himself and stop playing to the gallery.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by tspun(m): 10:34pm On May 14, 2013
we have no other option
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by okolichibuzor(m): 10:34pm On May 14, 2013
:Dhahahahahhahahahahahhaha........
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by ganex: 10:36pm On May 14, 2013
Billyonaire: Why dont you just go ahead and suggest the option that has not been employed ? For me, State of Emergency and a shoot at sight order should be the order. They should use their goats, rams, cats, and dogs as target practice.
thank you my broda, some of us are fond of asking silly question.dis is not different from a typical Nigerian askin someone are u back while de person is just arriving.If u av a loved one who had fell a victim 2 dis malus, den u wil knw airstrike is overdue.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 14, 2013
The president is a nuisance to himself and the nation. I was so happy when he declared state of emergency but the happiness varnished when he said the elected officers would still be there doing their stuff. Let's watch as this fails.

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by nuclearboy(m): 10:37pm On May 14, 2013
omanzo02:

Dude,

If BH dare hit one Southern state, that will be their greatest mistake, they would attempt to instigate ethnic violence tho, but the reaction is at northerners disadvantage, resentment and suspicion will force alot to flee. grin grin

Sorry but what did you think Boko Haram wants if not outright confusion in the society and to turn us all against each other? And who's legacy will suffer if not the Presidents?

Way I see it, he just widened the theatre of war on their behalf
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by ganex: 10:38pm On May 14, 2013
Billyonaire: Why dont you just go ahead and suggest the option that has not been employed ? For me, State of Emergency and a shoot at sight order should be the order. They should use their goats, rams, cats, and dogs as target practice.
thank you my broda, some of us are fond of asking silly question.dis is not different from a typical Nigerian askin someone are u back while de person is just arriving.If u av a loved one who had fell a victim 2 dis malus, den u wil knw at times peace is meaningless, patapata la foju.

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 14, 2013
Absolutely Not. A number of people will go down but You can't fight ideology with the sword alone. Especially when your conscience is tainted and hands not clean. Battle is all about MORALE. Only a clean conscience can guarantee a definite victory.

Two wrongs don't make a Right.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by DeGenius3(m): 10:42pm On May 14, 2013
kkkp: grin

what's the meaning of this? Please learn to respect.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by daylae(m): 10:43pm On May 14, 2013
The president spared the governors of those state to avoid any further discord over declaring a state of emergency. Nothern politicians feared a full operation of the state of emergency would render them useless. But those guys can't just be trusted.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by gramci: 10:43pm On May 14, 2013

its shame that most persons that criticises government are not ready to proffer their own solution to problem. i am patiently waiting for lie mohammed to condemn this action of government as usual.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by premlove(m): 10:51pm On May 14, 2013
kkkp: grin
GOD IS WATCHING U AND I PRAY HE C U THROUGH
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by CoolKizzy(m): 10:51pm On May 14, 2013
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by ekoileee: 10:52pm On May 14, 2013
nuclearboy: Sorry but this is NOT a good move

I expected an INFORMAL STATE OF EMERGENCY - move in the big guns (if you want the entire Army, Navy and Air Force) all you want but don't make it official. Do NOT announce it.

What would that have cost? But ACN/CPC and the idiotic Northern Elders Forum said NO, so he had to 'prove himself", right?

NOW, all Boko Haram has to do is go someplace else and attack twice and everyone will scream "state of emergency" until those who hate him start to mock him with that as well. And if the boko haramists have any brains, that's what they will do. Just make random attacks in Rivers, Lagos and Abuja and effectively, Nigeria is an urban jungle, thanks to a good decision being implemented badly.

And if he backs down now or later from declaring states of emergencies all over, again the ridicule starts!

As I see it, this will end with the entire country becoming like as in Israel,o in a permanent State of emergency.And only BH will laugh because you just made them bigger

Unfortunately, this is the sad truth. Now they are going to start looking for soft Target to prove their point..
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by premlove(m): 10:52pm On May 14, 2013
gramci:

its shame that most persons that criticises government are not ready to proffer their own solution to problem. i am patiently waiting for lie mohammed to condemn this action of government as usual.
so what are u say are u against d motion or u suppprt it
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by NeoXVI: 10:54pm On May 14, 2013
Nigerian leaders have always been poor in creativity and approach to solving problems. There's insecurity in the land, so implement state of emergency and it will be solved. Yes? Wish it were that simple.

Question to ask yourself is, what did the last state of emergency from Dec 31, 2011 to July 18, 2012 solve?
Are we looking for a temporary panacea or a long term solution and eradication of the menace?
What have our security agencies been doing since this BH issue reared up? Have they acquired intelligence dossiers on those involved, who their financiers are, how they get their guns and ammo, how their logistics are organized, how many, and the spread of their sleeper cells?

This is only a feel good measure. Nothing more. Nothing stops the BH boys from moving to Jigawa, Taraba, Bauchi, Gombe or Kano. I am no security expert but I think they can do a few more meaningful things like

- put the northern borders on lock down. I don't know the amount of trade across the northern border, but I don't think it is much anyway
- freeze the assets of their Nigerian financiers, and prosecute these folks. Until people start paying the price for their crimes, the status-quo will remain.
- cut off their arms supply. Very important
- infiltrate and destroy their cells
- take out (assassinate) their more influential leaders and commandos.
- immobilize their logistics. These guys can't possibly have a sophisticated operation. Haba!

And while you're slowly decapitating them, still leave the amnesty option open. They will soon start coming to the table voluntarily. Nobody dey tell mad man say rain dey fall.

9 Likes

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 14, 2013
Olodostein: Absolutely Not. A number of people will go down but You can't fight ideology with the sword alone. Especially when your conscience is tainted and hands not clean. Battle is all about MORALE. Only a clean conscience can guarantee a definite victory.

Two wrongs don't make a Right.

Bro., even with the right "morale" and a clean conscience, they can't win by leaving the head of the snake to roam about freely. The question will always be: what intelligence do the Nigerian military have about BH? Who are their sponsors and what are their capabilities? So far, they have not shown us that they have any idea whatsoever about who they're fighting against. The best option would be to cut off the head of the snake.

Even with military occupation - you're fighting a guerrilla war against an ideological group that has the long-span of the sahara to its advantage. And with so many troubled/violent spots in Nigeria - do you have the number in the military to win this war? Do they also have the capabilities to win against asymmetric warfare?

The strategy against BH has been asinine from the get go to say the least and the whole thing is about to consume the country. Disintegration looks inevitable by day. And trust Northerners to politise everything and use this against him. Damn! The next civil war is going to be one bloody hell of a war!!
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Dee60: 10:57pm On May 14, 2013
nuclearboy: Sorry but this is NOT a good move

I expected an INFORMAL STATE OF EMERGENCY - move in the big guns (if you want the entire Army, Navy and Air Force) all you want but don't make it official. Do NOT announce it.

What would that have cost? But ACN/CPC and the idiotic Northern Elders Forum said NO, so he had to 'prove himself", right?

NOW, all Boko Haram has to do is go someplace else and attack twice and everyone will scream "state of emergency" until those who hate him start to mock him with that as well. And if the boko haramists have any brains, that's what they will do. Just make random attacks in Rivers, Lagos and Abuja and effectively, Nigeria is an urban jungle, thanks to a good decision being implemented badly.

And if he backs down now or later from declaring states of emergencies all over, again the ridicule starts!

As I see it, this will end with the entire country becoming like as in Israel, in a permanent State of emergency.And only BH will laugh because you just made them bigger

He has been calm all this while and you guys said he was weak. Now he has wielded the big stick and you want us to think he is too drastic.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by 13volts(m): 10:59pm On May 14, 2013
The military has enjoyed full access and support of the governments in the affected states. The military also enjoyed the full privileges of using force – many times excessive – on any citizen they without hindrance from the state governments in the past two years.

So what exactly has hindered the military so much that they needed to compel Mr. President to give them a state of emergency to operate under? I am at loss here – completely. What has the state of emergency achieved when it was declared under this regime in some local governments including those now under Boko Haram occupation?

I need to be convinced how declaration of the state of emergency could make Boko Haram an exception.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:00pm On May 14, 2013
OsunOriginal: State of emergency even when the governors and all elected officials are still there doing their job of funding Boko Haram guys. How will this be different from JTF patrolling the states other than more soldiers on the road? I am still wondering how this will help the situation.
Oga! State of emergency mean say the governors go commot for throne (although in this case they will stiil be in power, but the soldiers aren't answerable to them in anyway) and soldiers go occupy that governor seats, The military go enjoy full
privileges to dey use force & to over use am on any citizen without
hindrance from the state governments as dem bin dey do since the
past two years. na the soldiers go oversee state affairs for the meantime, sake of say make bokoharam sponsors as you said no go get authority order or use office power take manipulate things. The koko be say, even if dem sponsor boko boys, things no go rosy and easy like b4. I hope this helps?
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Sheenor: 11:00pm On May 14, 2013
good move by mister president
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by joelreg(m): 11:01pm On May 14, 2013
Nnanna nzewi: The kind of state of emergency announced by GEJ will not work very well..Let all the elected executives govenors and there likes vacate their offices until normalcy is restored.Full military occupation of these states is my advocacy!

Gbam
I wonder what type of SoE is this one.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Capnd143(m): 11:01pm On May 14, 2013
mentorken05: The News of the State Of Emergency was a well conceived and political strategised plan to save nigeria from another Civil War ..
Why Some Nigeria feel its a partial one due to the Governors of that state retaining their Executive power , but the Majority believe its a welcome development Long overdue .

In the past in the history of Nigeria , wherever State of Emergency were declared in troubled state by military Presidents ,state powers were delegated to military administrators and in most cases to loyal military officer who supported and planned the coup d e'tal.
GEJ has acted wisely in all sense to make the civilian Governors remain along side the deployment of military officer who will henceforth be in charge of the logistic planning and execution of all security challenges that will be going on in the affected state ..
The Northern elders who kicked against the state of Emergency had an evil and hidden motive , thinking the president might likely appoint non-hausas to become military administrators in Hausa states.
Now he did otherwise the Governors will retain their position while the military will study the situation and if there is any leak the Governors will be heard responsible ... Let's all watch and study this new Democratic definition of State of Emergency and I am fully in support of it knowing it will go along way to bring hope to the hopeless innocent muslims and christians in this affected state ... Long live Nigeria Long live GEJ .
i knw people stil think that those governors have a goddam power! The fact is that the admiral said who is the Cheif of Defense staff only takes orders from the president and Commander in cheif and no one else, the governors will be they but dont expect them to have a any strong power, because Cheif of defense staff and Cheif of army staff will act as the want because the in no "bloody way" take any orders from the governor, the soldiers deployed are federal troops and only take military orders from the presidency, the Governor would have to request/plead if he needs anyhelp from the military! Right now the governors of those states are like "dummies" and scarecrows! The president is trying to be democratic in dispensation at the same time blocking the posibility of "quest for political power" by the military. He is simply using the military as an agent of democracy! Quite commendable Mr. President!

2 Likes

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Capnd143(m): 11:02pm On May 14, 2013
mentorken05: The News of the State Of Emergency was a well conceived and political strategised plan to save nigeria from another Civil War ..
Why Some Nigeria feel its a partial one due to the Governors of that state retaining their Executive power , but the Majority believe its a welcome development Long overdue .

In the past in the history of Nigeria , wherever State of Emergency were declared in troubled state by military Presidents ,state powers were delegated to military administrators and in most cases to loyal military officer who supported and planned the coup d e'tal.
GEJ has acted wisely in all sense to make the civilian Governors remain along side the deployment of military officer who will henceforth be in charge of the logistic planning and execution of all security challenges that will be going on in the affected state ..
The Northern elders who kicked against the state of Emergency had an evil and hidden motive , thinking the president might likely appoint non-hausas to become military administrators in Hausa states.
Now he did otherwise the Governors will retain their position while the military will study the situation and if there is any leak the Governors will be heard responsible ... Let's all watch and study this new Democratic definition of State of Emergency and I am fully in support of it knowing it will go along way to bring hope to the hopeless innocent muslims and christians in this affected state ... Long live Nigeria Long live GEJ .
i knw people stil think that those governors have a goddam power! The fact is that the admiral said who is the Cheif of Defense staff only takes orders from the president and Commander in cheif and no one else, the governors will be they but dont expect them to have a any strong power, because Cheif of defense staff and Cheif of army staff will act as the want because the in no "bloody way" take any orders from the governor, the soldiers deployed are federal troops and only take military orders from the presidency, the Governor would have to request/plead if he needs anyhelp from the military! Right now the governors of those states are like "dummies" and scarecrows! The president is trying to be democratic in dispensation at the same time blocking the posibility of "quest for political power" by the military. He is simply using the military as an agent of democracy! Quite commendable Mr. President!
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Capnd143(m): 11:03pm On May 14, 2013

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 14, 2013
shamson: yes, if that will bring a lasting solution
that's an objectification balance, Nice there president, I can see bokoharam shetima is already sharing tears, their plans has been wasted, what are want next is jail Buhari...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: FG Intervention Temporal, Queues Will Resurface – Stakeholders / Hausa Community In Enugu Endorse Ayogu Eze For Governor 2019(pictures) / Governor Hope Uzodinma Commends Security Agencies For Arresting ‘Cannibals'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.