Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? (16557 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / Court Of Appeal Says Aisha Alhassan Is State’s Real Governor / Fulani Herdsmen Working For Boko Haram – Falae (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 14, 2013
Nuke the whole North/core North, sometimes ethnic cleansing is the key for everyone/the majority to live in peace....I don't think kanuri are important and most won't miss them. cool
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 14, 2013
I'm not gonna question his authority. I only pray it helps in restoring peace to the citizens of that fun loving country known with their surferring and smiling attitude.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 14, 2013
emiye: The state of emergency is shiiiit as far as i am concerned, the questions i ask any reasonable person is.
is there a need to address the nation to deploy more troops to a warring state ? deployment of more troops is the only seemingly reasonable thing the State of emergency claim to address.

The c in c need to be sincere with himself and stop playing to the gallery.
Quite pathetic we still ve some Morons in NL...is sendin more troops d only fin hes done naw...GEJ indirectly naw over sees security in dese state thru hes military war lords....AssHOLE

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by denitro(m): 11:16pm On May 14, 2013
nuclearboy: Sorry but this is NOT a good move

I expected an INFORMAL STATE OF EMERGENCY - move in the big guns (if you want the entire Army, Navy and Air Force) all you want but don't make it official. Do NOT announce it.

What would that have cost? But ACN/CPC and the idiotic Northern Elders Forum said NO, so he had to 'prove himself", right?

NOW, all Boko Haram has to do is go someplace else and attack twice and everyone will scream "state of emergency" until those who hate him start to mock him with that as well. And if the boko haramists have any brains, that's what they will do. Just make random attacks in Rivers, Lagos and Abuja and effectively, Nigeria is an urban jungle, thanks to a good decision being implemented badly.

And if he backs down now or later from declaring states of emergencies all over, again the ridicule starts!

As I see it, this will end with the entire country becoming like as in Israel, in a permanent State of emergency.And only BH will laugh because you just made them bigger

In english please, i can't understand a word you are saying

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 14, 2013
Olodostein: Absolutely Not. A number of people will go down but You can't fight ideology with the sword alone. Especially when your conscience is tainted and hands not clean. Battle is all about MORALE. Only a clean conscience can guarantee a definite victory.

Two wrongs don't make a Right.

u are a member of APC who don't have Naija at heart but selfish interest, more solders plsssssz, if u don't like it go huge transformer... Abi like say lec mohamede na ur father chairman of APC
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by iLUMeN8(m): 11:20pm On May 14, 2013
GEJ just made official what has been in existence in the north east for the past two years. Those JTF guys are the meanest and most unfriendly set of human beings I have ever met. Those guys shoot first and ask questions later. Inspite of their actions, boko haram insurgency is still waxing stronger in the north east. GEJ should try another tactic cos this one ain't gonna work.

2 Likes

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Reptyle(m): 11:27pm On May 14, 2013
I'm still wondering what this pseudo-emergency will do to quickly bring the upheaval in the north to a halt. But these are yet early days...
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:28pm On May 14, 2013
Where is Obasanjo when you need him? This kind of state of emergency is a joke! There is no difference.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by gbrookes02: 11:29pm On May 14, 2013
One of the steps in best dealing with Boko-Haram and all other criminals as well is to allow all the people to be able to freely and properly arm themselves so that they can properly defend themselves, love ones, properties, etc. A people that is disarmed are most vulnerable to, and is just sitting ducks for all sorts of criminals who will still have their guns irrespective of the law. Its only the law abiding citizens who will not have any arms. More guns in everybody's hands will result in less crime. And anyone who uses their gun to defend themselves, etc. the government is not suppose to harass such persons for defending themselves.

When seconds count the police and military at best are minutes away. Also remember until the police arrives it is just you and the criminal(s) alone. The police can't be here, there and everywhere at the same time to protect you and everyone else. You is suppose to be your best protection at all times. No one else can do it as go as you to protect yourself at all times.

If the police can't 100% protect the prisons (from weapons, drugs, etc. getting in) where they have the greatest control then how can they protect you and the whole country at 100%. We all need to stop living in fools' paradise.

For more the issue of when a people is armed and allowed to defend themselves results in less crime, and when a people is disarmed by their government results in more crime including tyranny by their governments see the articles and audios to the links below:

1. A BRIEF AND BLOODY HISTORY OF GUN CONTROL
by Anthony Gucciardi
April 29th, 2013
Updated 05/04/2013 at 11:51 pm

http://www.storyleak.com/a-brief-and-bloody-history-of-gun-control/#ixzz2TJF6C9tu

2. Gun Control and Political Correctness
by Robert Anderson

http://lewrockwell.com/orig6/anderson-r7.1.1.html

3. Fact-Free Crusades
by Thomas Sowell

http://lewrockwell.com/sowell/sowell131.html

4. On the Divine Right and Duty of Self-Defense

http://gunowners.org/op05082012mc.htm

5. How are gun rights God-given and inalienable?

http://gunowners.org/op05102012awr.htm

6. The Second Amendment: A Knife in a Gunfight

http://www.kingdompromises.org/kingdompromises_audio/2ndamendment.mp3

7. The Biblical Doctrine of Self Defense, Pt. 1 by Pastor John Weaver

http://www.kingdompromises.org/kingdompromises_audio/weaver-defense-1.mp3

8. The Biblical Doctrine of Self Defense, Pt. 2 by Pastor John Weaver

http://www.kingdompromises.org/kingdompromises_audio/weaver-defense-2.mp3

9. Frontline Fellowship
Articles - Gun Control, Self Defence & The Bible
http://www.frontline.org.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=28&Itemid=195
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by lastpage: 11:31pm On May 14, 2013
[b] If the President feels the "current political system" in the states in question, is NOT WORKING and NOT AMENABLE TO THE SECURITY REQUIREMENTS of the states, he is RIGHT to declare a state of Emergency but....

If Mr. President then leaves the "personae of those states" in place/office, nothing would have changed!
HE WOULD HAVE CHANGED NOTHING!
!

I think Jonathan is a man "guided by too much fear".
He is soo-afraid of offending anyone, (maybe, just maybe because of his 2015 aspirations), he tries to make EVERYONE HAPPY but ends up making NONE HAPPY....even more importantly, achieving NO RESULT, in doing so.

My suggestion is that he declare a "renewable, six months of FULL STATE OF EMERGENCY" in these states, with a "clear mandate" to the new "state administrators" to flush those bastards out, wherever they may be hiding, using ALL NECESSARY (but legal and intelligent) MEANS.[/b]

Then, lets see how that pan-out

Just my thoughts sha.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:34pm On May 14, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Nuke the whole North/core North, sometimes ethnic cleansing is the key for everyone/the majority to live in peace....I don't think kanuri are important and most won't miss them. cool
How old are?
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by lekadornis: 11:34pm On May 14, 2013
. angry angry...you guys should not think of raising an issue from this other than to commend d president for his courage at last because as for me this decision has been long overdue...
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by AdekunleBalogun: 11:34pm On May 14, 2013
Uncle Jona don vex be that ooo... If it will help in bringing peace to the region and also curb the killings of innocent souls on a daily basis, I totally supports it.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:35pm On May 14, 2013
ℓ̊ think GEJ left those politicians there 'cos if paradventure D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ are found culpable Ø̶̷̩̥̊͡Ƒ̶̷̩̥̊͡ any crime or what so ever,D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ cn easily be nabbed before D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ take τ̲̅ȍ their heels if not D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ shouldn't av been allowed τ̲̅ȍ administer their states.this Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ d last straw D̶̲̥̅̊α̲̅†̥ broke d camel's back.D last optn any responsible govt must take.weldone mod fO̶̲̥̅̊Я̩̥̊ deleting ‎​M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ post,may God reward ¥♡̨̐υ̲ as ℓ̊ Ђανξ retrieve ΐτ̅ back.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by cecegorz(m): 11:39pm On May 14, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Nuke the whole North/core North, sometimes ethnic cleansing is the key for everyone/the majority to live in peace....I don't think kanuri are important and most won't miss them. cool
Hey! Where are the Kenyan wardens? One of your escaped lunatics is here!
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 14, 2013
Between granting amnesty to these murderers and declaring state of emergency,i'll go for the latter.Young Nigerian graduates are doing casual jobs while these morons are to be paid 100k among other incentives for killing innocent people.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nintag(m): 11:40pm On May 14, 2013
We need to address this issue in a manner well appropriate. State emergency means we not capable. And keep in mind it also does not mean bokoharam will be caught. What is needed is a well put together team of spy's or agent that can go undercover access the situation, verify the perpetrator and comfirm it. Then a stealth team will be in order and there job will be dead or alive we want him To be an example of what will happen to any who think or dear try a thing like this. But guess what our government is too jacked up to properly execute or even excercise this method of security approach.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by lastpage: 11:41pm On May 14, 2013
Shut-Up Mister. Go and nuke part of your own Cameroon country first, before coming here to advice us to nuke our own people!
[b]
"Kanuris and the whole Northern Nigeria" are Nigerians, [/b]whether we like it or not.
Ethnic cleansing will NEVER be right.
We only need to address the problem more 'intelligently and pro-actively' .... and your suggestion is a thousand miles off that position!

Thank you for your "shitty advice" l think President Paul Biya is recruiting advisers right now.....He needs your services. wink tongue tongue

Lastpage!
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by vccghana(m): 11:43pm On May 14, 2013
state of emergency is the best option for now
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by ja2wa: 11:44pm On May 14, 2013
Its ok
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nintag(m): 11:44pm On May 14, 2013
gbrookes02: One of the steps in best dealing with Boko-Haram and all other criminals as well is to allow all the people to be able to freely and properly arm themselves so that they can properly defend themselves, love ones, properties, etc. A people that is disarmed are most vulnerable to, and is just sitting ducks for all sorts of criminals who will still have their guns irrespective of the law. Its only the law abiding citizens who will not have any arms. More guns in everybody's hands will result in less crime. And anyone who uses their gun to defend themselves, etc. the government is not suppose to harass such persons for defending themselves.

When seconds count the police and military at best are minutes away.

For more the issue of when a people is armed and allowed to defend themselves results in less crime, and when a people is disarmed by their government results in more crime including tyranny by their governments see the articles to the links below:

1. A BRIEF AND BLOODY HISTORY OF GUN CONTROL
by Anthony Gucciardi
April 29th, 2013
Updated 05/04/2013 at 11:51 pm

http://www.storyleak.com/a-brief-and-bloody-history-of-gun-control/#ixzz2TJF6C9tu

2. Gun Control and Political Correctness
by Robert Anderson

http://lewrockwell.com/orig6/anderson-r7.1.1.html

3. Fact-Free Crusades
by Thomas Sowell

http://lewrockwell.com/sowell/sowell131.html

This method will only create more chaos my brother. We have poor security in Nigeria if we can address this all else will be taking care off
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Afroconnect: 11:46pm On May 14, 2013
80% of Nigerians want the state of emergency because our sovereingthy is being threatened,terrorists are undermining our heritage,Authority and defiling our women and children.
Boko haram and other terrorists has made it clear that they want to forcefully turn Nigeria into an islamic state.it will be suicidal not to defend yourself when someone is shooting you.
Goodluck Jonathan we totally support you and we the youths of this great country are behind you-we will chase these cowards out of our soveriegn land.
The evil must be defeated,with God on our side and with the strenght of our resolve to uphold justice and a soveriegn Nigerian state.
Jonathan we are behind you.
All supporters of terrorists and invaders of our great Nigeria must be hanged for treason.bloody traitors.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by fallingsky(m): 11:50pm On May 14, 2013
These happen to be the best option but what I expect before was that all elected official should have vacant their office's nd allows the Military take full control of the various States.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by isuomo: 11:50pm On May 14, 2013
Are we that forgetful as Nigerians? what does the law say concerning political heads and apparatuses when the president is declaring a state of emergency? can someone please go read the Supreme court judgement in the case of Dariye vs FG when a state of emergency was declared in plateau!!! just astounded at the ignorance exhibited here tonight.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Vansnickers: 11:50pm On May 14, 2013
omanzo02:

Dude,

If BH dare hit one Southern state, that will be their greatest mistake, they would attempt to instigate ethnic violence tho, but the reaction is at northerners disadvantage, resentment and suspicion will force alot to flee. grin grin

Do you think Boko Haram cares about other Northerners? These guys went on Rampage in Kano not caring if they killed any Northern or not. Boko Haram are just a bunch of dirty Terrorists.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by emiye(m): 11:51pm On May 14, 2013
Olanight:
Quite pathetic we still ve some Morons in NL...is sendin more troops d only fin hes done naw...GEJ indirectly naw over sees security in dese state thru hes military war lords....AssHOLE

Everytime you check a mirror, you will see a Mor0n staring at you.

At the rubbish in bold, is that not the situation pre proclamation of "play to the gallery "state of emergency.

Were the JTF *Joint Task force troops not in those states before overseeing the security? Iddddiooooot

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by anti9JA: 11:52pm On May 14, 2013
Those callers on 99.3 Nigeria Info who insists that "God bless Nigeria", "God is in Nigeria", "It is our prayer that is keeping Nigeria safe", if only wounds, gunshots, beheading, slaughtering of WAEC students can be communicated to them to feel what others have felt, they will not be claiming God is Nigeria, these callers are people whose very clothes they are wearing including their women's panties and braziers are imported and the God they are invoking 24/7 blesses the human hair they buy from Brazil, such people don’t deserve to live, they deserve Boko-haram, there’s nothing wrong in Boko-haram, Boko-haram is a tradition of those who are practicing arab culture and way of life who believe that their own wish and command must be enforced on Africans, and this is a tried and tested method that Danfodio and his followers descendants have perfected, so Boko-Haram is only carrying out the Danfodian legacies of MIGHT BACKED WITH RELIGION IS RIGHT, and therefore use force, intimidations, coercions and brutality and not dialogue in resolving conflicts in West Africa and Central Africa.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Vansnickers: 11:53pm On May 14, 2013
Prof Corruption: Where is Obasanjo when you need him? This kind of state of emergency is a joke! There is no difference.

What makes it a Joke?! Please explain further.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 14, 2013
I still dont understand why some people want the governors removed. I wouldn't support any measure or state of emergency that'll dismantle democratic institutions. Yes, OBJ did it but it was WRONG. It is WRONG to use state of emergency to settle political scores. That was exactly what OBJ did with his state of emergency.

By the way, of what good purpose will removal of state governors serve? Maybe as punishment for the governors and other political actors in the state. Some have also argued that it may stop the flow of funds from politicians to Boko haram (if indeed there is anything like that)

But what about the demerits of removing state governors? First is that placing the responsibility of governing a state on the military may stimulate their appetite for broader political power. It is also an unnecessary DISTRACTION because the military that ought to be wholly engaged in strategising on how to curb Boko haram may be busy dispensing political patronage.

I think the president did the RIGHT thing by allowing elected political office holders to continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities while the military take full charge of security in the state.

However, whether the state of emergency will successfully curb boko haram remains to be seen. But I love the fact that the president's message was firm and must have sent very strong signal to Boko haram and their collaborators. With the state of emergency, the flood gates have been opened for more and more troops to be deployed to those troubled states.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 12:01am On May 15, 2013
I still dont understand why some people want the governors removed. I wouldn't support any measure or state of emergency that'll dismantle democratic institutions. Yes, OBJ did it but it was WRONG. It is WRONG to use state of emergency to settle political scores. That was exactly what OBJ did with his state of emergency.

By the way, of what good purpose will removal of state governors serve? Maybe as punishment for the governors and other political actors in the state. Some have also argued that it may stop the flow of funds from politicians to Boko haram (if indeed there is anything like that)

But what about the demerits of removing state governors? First is that placing the responsibility of governing a state on the military may stimulate their appetite for broader political power. It is also an unnecessary DISTRACTION because the military that ought to be wholly engaged in strategising on how to curb Boko haram may be busy dispensing political patronage.

I think the president did the RIGHT thing by allowing elected political office holders to continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities while the military take full charge of security in the state.

However, whether the state of emergency will successfully curb boko haram remains to be seen. But I love the fact that the president's message was firm and must have sent very strong signal to Boko haram and their collaborators. With the state of emergency, the flood gates have been opened for more and more troops to be deployed to those troubled states.

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by tampa1871: 12:09am On May 15, 2013
Nigerians should ask the Government what they did with the almost 1 Trillion Naira budgeted for Defense in the Last Fiscal year. FGN has waited too long to act on Boko Haram and other militants terrorizing the people that we have become a joke to other nations. I don't know of any nation where their government is so unresponsive, insensitive and careless as Nigeria. Our govt. is expert at making sympathetic speeches after each attack while doing nothing like intelligence gathering to preempt these attacks. We shall see what become of the so-called State of Emergency. The Chief Security officers in these States have failed in their assignments and should be relieved of their posts for those competent to arrest the situation. By leaving them at their posts shows the incompetence of their CEO.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 12:15am On May 15, 2013
Has other options worked before So as of today this is the only option.

Its a smart move from the president and those sitting governors are lame ducks cos they are no more in control of those states.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osinbajo Meets South-East Leaders In Abuja (Photos) / House Of Reps Removes Direct Primary Clause, Passes Electoral Act / APC-PCC Rejects Naja’atu As PSC Northwest Co-ordinator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.