Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Pig Farming In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farming In Nigeria (16252 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here / Fish Farming And Pig Farming: Which Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pig Farming In Nigeria by ps5(m): 9:51am On May 15, 2013
The importance for alternative source of revenue for Nigeria on account of the current global financial meltdown can't be overemphasised. The only supply of alternative income for the country is in agriculture. We must be able to develop the agric sector to provide products for internal along with export markets.

It is through agric that individuals can increase our GDP, provide food and employment opportunities for Nigerians. Establishment of commercial piggery is among the projects that readily go with this situation.

Justification connected with investment

The establishment of the proposed commercial pig farm is usually justified in the following grounds:

Many Nigerians experience malnutrition due to not enough protein in their eating habits. The Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) endorses 35 grammes of animal protein per day per person. But a lot less than 7 grammes are eaten for the average in Nigeria.

The vast majority of protein in the foodstuff derives from plants and therefore are only comparatively little from animals. Animal protein is vital because it is of a high biological value and contains the building stones for health and growth.

Animal protein shouldn't be completely substituted by plant protein. It is especially needed from the young, the old as well as the weak. The deficiency is more dangerous in the South of the country than in the North, as the staple diet within the South is monthly based on crops while the North’s the main meat producer.

Sources connected with animal protein are dairy, eggs and meat. For instance, minimum requirement of milk is accepted as ¾ of pint per day, while only 1/10 of that amount is actually ingested, on the average. A large proportion of the population won't drink milk, as dairy is expensive.

The main supply of meat stems from livestock, yet a Nigerian won't eat more than 10 pounds per year, the average American eat almost 10 times just as much.

A good sow – female pig - will farrow twice per year, each time rising as much as 10 piglets while the cow will valve once. The first litter are going to be born when the dam is one full year old, while a cow features her first calf at the age of three.

When the initial calf (beef) is set for market, 30-40 slaughter haps is usually sold from the one particular sow with about 5 to 10 times the volume of edible meat. Pigs replicate faster than cattle; they've got more offspring, which grow with a more rapid rate.

Gains in pigs are definitely more economical than in livestock. To produce 100 kilogrammes connected with live pigs requires 300 kilogrammes of feed from birth to market weight. A steer needs twice as much, it fed adequately. Even though concentrate price is higher for pigs they still can pay twice as well.

Hogs convert 1/5 of the gross energy eaten into feed compared with 1/25 by ruminants (cattle). Pigs convert farm brought up feed into meat more cheaply and even more rapidly than any additional domestic quadruple.

The pig carcass yields a better percentage of dressed meat plus a higher proportion of edible pieces. Pork is higher in energy then other various meats. It is nutritious along with tasty, as slaughter wildlife are comparably young. Pork is palatable and desirable, as it is sensitive than beef.

A slaughtered pig is usually more easily utilised, as very easy require ageing or tenderising. The goods can be smoke, salted, ready-made and stored otherwise; a smaller quantity becomes available anytime and causes less connected with storage and keeping issue. The pig carcass yields a higher dressing percentage, more edible various meats of greater nutritious worth.

The salvage value of the breeding stock is very good. This means that pigs which were used to produce several can still be sold at a relatively high price whenever they have to be sold out. Pigs can be bred anytime of the year than goats that need to be bred at a particular time of the year. Pigs are also a simple yet effective converter of industrial by-products along with agric wastes (including kitchen wastes) into pork.

Social and economic benefits derivable on the project are improvement of the economic well being of the sponsor, generation of employment opportunities, and increase in how much protein consumption thereby improving how much our health care distribution system.

Technical aspect

The project involves design and construction of all the physical infrastructure such as pig pens and exchange of foundation stock connected with pigs (breeders).

The stock female pigs are to endure intensive feeding and breeding when considering giving birth to young ones. The young ones have to be raised at the fattening house to market sizes where they'll be sold to prospective purchasers.

Also, males will be marketed to prospective buyers when they are acquired to support the females.

http://anambrayouthfarmers..com/2013/05/pig-farming-in-nigeria.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by dripstoil: 11:41pm On Aug 21, 2013
[size=14pt]A single pig gives birth to as much as 15 piglets at a time, making it one of the most reproducing mammal in the world. Baby pigs is known as shoat, farrow or piglet. Male pigs are referred to as the boar while females are sows. As a group they are called a herd or drove.

Read The Step by Step Article How to Start Pig Farming in Nigeria on WealthResult.com

http://www.wealthresult.com/2013/08/how-to-start-pig-farming-in-nigerian.html

Ask questions on the site after reading[/size]
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by felixzo1(m): 9:21am On Oct 16, 2013
your write up is educative but you will not make 30 million naira from keeping 1000 pigs. you forgot to mention feeding cost which make up 70 percent of any livestock cost . management..drugs and vaccines. substrate that and the balance will be the profit. in this case just 8 million at most or less

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by eposho: 9:59am On Oct 16, 2013
felixzo1: your write up is educative but you will not make 30 million naira from keeping 1000 pigs. you forgot to mention feeding cost which make up 70 percent of any livestock cost . management..drugs and vaccines. substrate that and the balance will be the profit. in this case just 8 million at most or less
You are absolutely right, don't know why ppl come here to give spurious and ingenious advice, for almost 5/yes of business probably once we have witnesses 15 litter, secondly you struggle most times to get good price for your
Pigs at the point of sale due to so many logistics.
That 30 million is probably in the op dream lab somewhere., def. Not in my farm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by felixzo1(m): 11:46am On Oct 16, 2013
eposho:
You are absolutely right, don't know why ppl come here to give spurious and ingenious advice, for almost 5/yes of business probably once we have witnesses 15 litter, secondly you struggle most times to get good price for your
Pigs at the point of sale due to so many logistics.
That 30 million is probably in the op dream lab somewhere., def. Not in my farm.
are you into pig farming? marketing has always been a problem for small holder farmers in Nigeria
the meat market in Nigeria is mostly seasonal. during festivities .if you want to sell about 200 pigs a week,you wld have to transport them to a major city like Lagos or Ph depending on your location .or kill all and store at -40 degrees and sell in retail over time, this will require you having a meat shop.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by eposho: 2:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
felixzo1: are you into pig farming? marketing has always been a problem for small holder farmers in Nigeria
the meat market in Nigeria is mostly seasonal. during festivities .if you want to sell about 200 pigs a week,you wld have to transport them to a major city like Lagos or Ph depending on your location .or kill all and store at -40 degrees and sell in retail over time, this will require you having a meat shop.
Yes we are into pigs rearing, if you have any idea where we can sell our pigs pls drop your details and I will contact you sir.
Thanks.
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by felixzo1(m): 3:31pm On Oct 17, 2013
eposho:
Yes we are into pigs rearing, if you have any idea where we can sell our pigs pls drop your details and I will contact you sir.
Thanks.
what is your location and how many pigs do you have
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by eposho: 5:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
Location is in remo axis, and we have loaaaaads.interested ? drop your details or contact me at
Ateifarms@yahoo.co.uk.
Thanks.
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by felixzo1(m): 5:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
eposho: Location is in remo axis, and we have loaaaaads.interested ? drop your details or contact me at
Ateifarms@yahoo.co.uk.
Thanks.
please more details of farm location and available number of pigs for sale and their weight range,breed of pigs. please be honest
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by eposho: 6:12pm On Oct 17, 2013
What's your point, drop your details and we talk or contact the mail add.
What do I gain by deceit ?, i have got weaners, growers and finishers.
Been breading for last five years now.,so if you are serious let me know.
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by wealthinfos(m): 3:47am On Aug 24, 2014
Are you intrested in Snail Wealth? Get full details from us on Practical Heliculture (Snail Farming) business @ the Legit Wealth Farms. For details, Visit the site on my signature below or call 07063249904; 08188573805

I'll see you @the top!
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by olaleg: 11:10pm On Oct 24, 2014
I'm planning on going into pig farmer by. Next year.... The pens are already into construction. But I don't knw the costs of pigs yet, weaners, in-sow, gilts and others, I will also want to knw how/where I can get brewerers mash and its relative cost? Thanks in advance
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by emperorlero(m): 8:00am On Dec 10, 2014
eposho:

Thanks.
please i want to go into pig farming.i already have purchased a plot of land.i intend to do piggery, grass cutter ,snaileryl, goat rearing,and fish farming. Intend to combine all of them in the land,even though all of them are to be done with the basic measurement.my question is this,what is the minimum unit i should buy to start a pig farm,and the spacing measurement required...also i hope i can combine all the above animals in one space.thanks..please your responses are required.
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by emperorlero(m): 8:02am On Dec 10, 2014
olaleg:
I'm planning on going into pig farmer by. Next year.... The pens are already into construction. But I don't knw the costs of pigs yet, weaners, in-sow, gilts and others, I will also want to knw how/where I can get brewerers mash and its relative cost? Thanks in advance
please, how did you go about the pen construction,and what is ur idea size of the farm,as well as cost of building the pen,i too am starting next year,i just want to have all info available thankx
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by Emmysteve(m): 1:37am On Dec 11, 2014
emperorlero:
please i want to go into pig farming.i already have purchased a plot of land.i intend to do piggery, grass cutter ,snaileryl, goat rearing,and fish farming. Intend to combine all of them in the land,even though all of them are to be done with the basic measurement.my question is this,what is the minimum unit i should buy to start a pig farm,and the spacing measurement required...also i hope i can combine all the above animals in one space.thanks..please your responses are required.
youu want to confine pig and grass cutters in one place? R. I. P to the grass cutters

1 Like

Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by ops(m): 2:40pm On Dec 13, 2014
olaleg:

Price of weaners depends on breed; from N2000 to around N10,000. Gilts & boars are sold for btw N280-N350 per kg.
Brewerers mash, depending on your location, you can get direct from breweries or buy from middle men (either wet or dried). Dried spent grain here in ibadan is around N11,000 per ton.
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by lordzy2005: 3:45pm On Feb 11, 2015
please where and how much can I get a piglet the white ones
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by Lakeside247(m): 4:31am On Feb 12, 2015
lordzy2005:
please where and how much can I get a piglet the white ones

I may just let go some of my fast growing weaners for u. Sango/Ifo axis of ogun state. mail me on adeola7070@gmail.com. Sorry can't let go of my phone number here.
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by Dokitadotun: 1:53pm On Feb 13, 2015
dripstoil:

[size=14pt]A single pig gives birth to as much as 15 piglets at a time, making it one of the most reproducing mammal in the world. Baby pigs is known as shoat, farrow or piglet. Male pigs are referred to as the boar while females are sows. As a group they are called a herd or drove.

Read The Step by Step Article How to Start Pig Farming in Nigeria on WealthResult.com

http://www.wealthresult.com/2013/08/how-to-start-pig-farming-in-nigerian.html

Ask questions on the site after reading[/size]

Pls @dripstoil, is there a way I can contact you. I want to brief you on something. Thanks
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by emperorlero(m): 7:51am On Apr 24, 2015
Emmysteve:
youu want to confine pig and grass cutters in one place? R. I. P to the grass cutters
oooooo....they don't go together then ?...
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by PigManLagos: 12:54pm On Jun 25, 2015
Re: Pig Farming In Nigeria by Buddhar(m): 9:07pm On Jun 27, 2015
Any pig farmer in abeokuta pls lets talk. 07039388167.

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need The Native Name Of This Fruit (photo) / Grasses And Shrubs For Feeding Rabbits / My 2022 Farm Diary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.