Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,497 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (50643 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Evestar200(f): 10:15am On May 15, 2013
The most ridiculous bride price have heard,, is of the Urhobo nd Esan poeple which pay #10 and #24 as their bride price, because they said they do not 'sell their women.

Esan people even return the bride price money to the groom's people after the marriage because they do not sell their girls.

5 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 10:24am On May 15, 2013
The most ridiculous bride prize i have ever had in my life was #2 grin That was when my friends elder sister got married to an Igbo Man. Now that my brother want to marry an igbo lady, they told him to bring #500,000

12 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Evestar200(f): 11:01am On May 15, 2013
@yomi,,igbo marriage bride price cost die mosly imo igbos

7 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Akshow: 11:38am On May 15, 2013
Mine is not really a bride price but it was ridiculous all the same. It was when my friend got married. I dont actually know the bride price my friend paid but after that, the girl's father demanded a hundred crate of beer. It wasn't only ridiculous, it was freakin hilarious and annoying at same time. Another one i experienced was that after all the traditional engagement and bride price, the father of the bride refuse to release his daughter on the wedding day insisting they must pay him additional 100k I'm like Whatdaphuck! Its your daughter's wedding not a wind fall. Come see as the bride mama and sister of the bride de beg this stubborn mule. The man kalla collect the money o.

7 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Deiok(m): 12:28pm On May 15, 2013
ha ha ha. Evestar is someone about to pay your pride price?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Evestar200(f): 12:43pm On May 15, 2013
[quote author=Deiok]ha ha ha. Evestar is someone about to pay your pride price?[/quote/] lol,,no o,,i never reach to marry na
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Evestar200(f): 12:45pm On May 15, 2013
Deiok: ha ha ha. Evestar is someone about to pay your pride price?

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Tolexander: 12:49pm On May 15, 2013
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 15, 2013
Evestar200: @yomi,,igbo marriage bride price cost die mosly imo igbos
As in so expensive as if the babe go they grow money for house after marriage

3 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 15, 2013
Akshow: Mine is not really a bride price but it was ridiculous all the same. It was when my friend got married. I dont actually know the bride price my friend paid but after that, the girl's father demanded a hundred crate of beer. It wasn't only ridiculous, it was freakin hilarious and annoying at same time. Another one i experienced was that after all the traditional engagement and bride price, the father of the bride refuse to release his daughter on the wedding day insisting they must pay him additional 100k I'm like Whatdaphuck! Its your daughter's wedding not a wind fall. Come see as the bride mama and sister of the bride de beg this stubborn mule. The man kalla collect the money o.
If this is how this bride price of a thing will continue, most expecially from our Igbo babes, then it is their father that will marry them.
My advice to every young man like me, once you discover that the parent of the babe want to sell her to you, just pack your shoe and cut out... Don't even waist time at all. When she grow old for house, they will give her out for free.

15 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Evestar200(f): 1:56pm On May 15, 2013
Yomii:
As in so expensive as if the babe go they grow money for house after marriage
i wonder o
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by kokoye(m): 2:44pm On May 15, 2013
Billy goat with a bowtie.

chikena chikena chikena o
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by princemolak(m): 2:48pm On May 15, 2013
Bride Price? 3 tubers of yam
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 15, 2013
Somewhere called Ngwo in Enugu state, my friends in-laws told him to buy 75 crates of beer.
are they planning to open a beer parlor or what??

4 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Okijajuju: 2:51pm On May 15, 2013
I paid 1000 naira.. More like her father just took 1000 naira note out of the stack of money I presented.

I wasnt asked for much with the list. Every other thing I spent was of my own volition.

9 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Itulah(m): 2:53pm On May 15, 2013
The most shock and annoying bride price is that of Imo State, which a friend went and they ask him to pay #5million and he was begging them with 2million

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Janiobi(m): 2:53pm On May 15, 2013
Come Anambra cime marry naa, U go over pay like CAPITAL LETTER MAD MAN. That place naa business zone.
No money
No marry
cheesy grin
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by 50calibre(m): 2:53pm On May 15, 2013
That's a very good culture. It's not about the price, but the significance unlike people who demand ridiculous amounts of money as if they are selling their daughter.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Samsantos9: 2:54pm On May 15, 2013
@op it's presently #120 for the Urhobo's bride price. . .

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 2:55pm On May 15, 2013
Okija juju: I paid 1000 naira.. More like her father just took 1000 naira note out of the stack of money I presented.

I wasnt asked for much with the list. Every other thing I spent was of my own volition.
I Envy You cry

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by JORAF: 2:55pm On May 15, 2013
that was before things done change for esan land
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Lilimax(f): 2:57pm On May 15, 2013
Janiobi: Come Anambra cime marry naa, U go over pay like CAPITAL LETTER MAD MAN. That place naa business zone.
No money
No marry
cheesy grin
Pure lie. Anambra's bride price is not expensive. Get your facts right.
It is the Imo people that theirs is on the high side I think?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by BarryX(m): 2:58pm On May 15, 2013
check the prices

9 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by igbsam(m): 2:58pm On May 15, 2013
And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by imperiouxx(m): 2:58pm On May 15, 2013
Itulah: The most shock and annoying bride price is that of Imo State, which a friend went and they ask him to pay #5million and he was begging them with 2million

You mean begging to buy a SUV car at N2M? undecided

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by jeddyMay(f): 3:00pm On May 15, 2013
In my family(Isoko Peeps), we usually return the bride price, take Say 100 or less to d oldest in our clan(if the wedding was not done in our home town or if the oldest person is nt in attendance) as a sign that their daughter was actually married properly.

3 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Okijajuju: 3:00pm On May 15, 2013
Lilimax:
Pure lie. Anambra's bride price is not expensive. Get your facts right.
It is the Imo people that theirs is on the high side I think?

Gbam!!

My wife is from Anambra State and her bride price was 1'k.

My ex-girlfriends husband paid over 1 million for her. She was an Imo State girl[/b]

6 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by kelsonpoint(m): 3:01pm On May 15, 2013
grin

9 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by FoxyVista(m): 3:01pm On May 15, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?

[size=20pt]Not at all.... Your friend na MUMU!!![/size]

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by timpaker(m): 3:02pm On May 15, 2013

Mbaise bride price na die!!!! U pay higher if d bride is graduate and u pay highest if she is a medical doctor or a pharmacist...
I and my friend ran away... Finally, Tiv (benue state is cheaper) lured us over with just 10k. Can u beat that? Na dia I dey target now but work no go gree persin. Mtcheeew!

4 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by jeddyMay(f): 3:02pm On May 15, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?

he has it ni......... rubbish!!!!!!!! because of what now, na buy i wan buy their daughter ni

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by goldfish80(m): 3:04pm On May 15, 2013
I think its between Ngwa(Abia) and Mbaise(Imo)
In Mbaise they will offer you one of brides younger siblings to train from whatever level they are,to university level,after sucking your pocket dry from all long list of quite frankly Id.iotic demands.
Ngwa comes a distant 2nd,last time an uncle went to marry there,they demanded a laptop and a modem in addition to a 'ladies motorcycle' for the brides mum.crazie

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

78-Year-Old Alaafin Of Oyo Enters Boxing Ring For Match - PICS / Emir Sanusi Appointed By UN As SDGs Advocate / Hilarious "ISHAN" Adage And Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.