Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,525 members, 7,770,330 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:28 AM

The Unbreakable Vow (fiction In Real-life Form) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Unbreakable Vow (fiction In Real-life Form) (647 Views)

Untitled Fiction / What Is The Most Romantic Real Life Story You Know? / The Unbreakable Record Of Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Unbreakable Vow (fiction In Real-life Form) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:26am On May 15, 2013
[size=32pt]The Unbreakable Vow
[/size]
(BORROWED FROM SOURCE: http://www.fbtrash.com/secret/10134/the-unbreakable-vow )

The Unbreakable Vow. . . …hmm. Ever heard of it? No. Im not talking about the magical Vow made by Professor Snape in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince. In as much as it is magical (well in the beginning at least), this is the real thing. We all seem to have made it at some point in our lives, or will make it sooner or later. I too have made such a vow and I never regretted it, until now. .
Well to begin with, the Unbreakable Vow is unbreakable. To break it results in dire consequence upon your life. Whilst the breaking of Professor Snape’s Vow could lead to death, the breaking of this vow can lead to scarred life, an existence which I s’pose, to many who have experienced it, is worse than a 1 time peaceful rest in a grave. I’m talking about marriage.
I married my pretty and good-natured childhood sweetheart. This was mistake #1. Bear in mind, she has known me since a tender age. She has been a caring, loving and tender figure throughout my otherwise lonely and shell-like existence. We have produced two fine and healthy kids, the last one being born last fall. All in all, life could never have been better. Until, “he” started visiting. .

“He” was the handsome young exchequer who had just recently moved into our neighborhood, and went by the name of “Jim”. The first time he visited our home, we had a cordial evening together. My wife was of course present there, having just dropped her job and taken on the role of a householder, to look after the little kids. I noticed that during our conversation, she kept glancing furtively at Jim from the countertop, but I never gave much of a thought to this. She then couldn’t hold back and joined in our conversation. He too seemed to be warming up towards her. I, of course, in my state of ignorance, obviously refused to heed the signs.
Now we must deign to understand that even the oldest and strongest of bridges, will someday get weak and rusty and eventually collapse into ruins. The Unbreakable Vow is no stranger to this rule. Our marriage, though prefect in every aspect, was starting to get, for want of a better word, boring. One cannot see and live with someone for very long and not admit that he/she was bored of the other. We all experience something similar in our teenage years, when we start to get estranged from our parents. I could certainly understand that. My wife, especially, in her prime of beauty and fullness, had even more reason to feel so.
Now barely a day after this first meeting, Jim returns again. This time he brings along with him a bunch of flowers for my wife, and some playthings for the kids. My wife then goes inside. I was sitting in the hall. He asks me to excuse him, as he wished to visit the bathroom upstairs, to relieve himself. I nodded and he was off. Now he happens to take a long time. So, I decide to go upstairs to check on him. I hear some light laughter from the kitchen. I enter and find him holding my wife’s waist as he helps her climb the ladder of the parlor to reach some items at the top. I honestly could not see any funny reason here, for there to be laughter involved. As soon as I entered, Jim gives me a wink and says “Just doing my duty to help out my good neighbors!. I smile back blandly, though on the inset, I start to think whether it was ever a good idea to invite him over. But then I push such thoughts out of my mind and attribute it to mere jealousy and fickleness.

As time passed, the visits by Jim increase in frequency. Since I am out at work all day and my 1st child is at school, my wife is usually home alone with our toddler son, who can barely comprehend anything. Now, come to think of it, I suspect it was in these lonely times that my wife and Jim’s “friendship” grew stronger and they started to get close. A bit too close in fact, for my liking. When I returned home, my wife greeted me with the usual smile and the peck on my cheek, but I noticed a certain degree of aloofness in her attitude. Maybe I was just imagining it. In the weeks that followed, whenever I confronted my wife in bed, to have sex with me, she gave excuses of fatigue, periods, etc. I thought these genuine. When finally she did agree for intercourse, as she eventually ran out of excuses, I noticed something. She tended to be unresponsive to my repeated caresses and she wanted it to be quickly gotten over with so she could return back to her sleep. This was not her usual self. I remember how she used to enjoy making out with me in the early years of our relationship. This was certainly so unlike her. I started to get suspicious. .
The next day, I returned from work and as I turned round the corner to our driveway, I stopped short. I saw Jim just leaving our home. My wife stood at the door, kissed him on the cheek and bade him farewell. My suspicions of the previous night were aroused. But then I thought of my wife and her near-perfect nature and pondered over the matter. Then I decided that Jim must’ve just come over to borrow something or to have a chat. I decided to let the matter go.
Some weeks later, as usual, I set out to work. I dropped my kid at school and then I drove to work. At the signal, I reached for my mobile and realized that it was missing. I searched all over my body and in the drivers’ cabinet, yet couldn’t find it. I then realized that I had left it at home near the dining table. So I drove all the way back home. I realized our door was ajar. I crept in, and found my mobile. I then called for my wife. But she was not there in the kitchen. I decided she must be upstairs and could not have heard since the rooms are widely placed. So I crept upstairs and heard some moaning from my bedroom. I went towards it and peeped through a crack in the door. I s’pose you already guessed it. I saw “him” making out with “her”. I was numbed. She was moaning all over him, while he repeatedly kept thrusting into her. Their sweaty naked bodies were intertwined like a coil of Serpents. I didn’t know how to react. I started to perspire heavily. It was dreadful to see my beloved of years gyrating with this stranger. I immediately ran down the steps and decided to leave the house and run as far away from the house as possible. It was pathetic.

I finally reached a garden bench and collapsed over it. I laid head over hands, and delved into what I had just witnessed. I had half a mind to run back like a maniac and stab the two of them dead. Yet the other half of my mind lay with the commitment I was facing, a commitment further strengthened by the birth of my 2 kids. If I wanted, I could go back and destroy our lives and that of my kids, by seeking a divorce. Or I could choose to ignore what I saw and save our marriage. You may consider me a fool for even contemplating to go back and behave as if nothing happened, yet how would the situation have been if I had never witnessed their shameful act. With the future of my kids in mind, I waited awhile, went to my son’s school, picked him up, and returned home. By this time, my wife had changed and dressed and Jim had probably left our home. I rang the doorbell and she opened the door with a smile and a welcome. I gave her a cold hard stare and just walked in and shut myself up in my study.

As I write this, I know I carry a large weight upon my heart. A weight, that I am forced to carry to my grave. I’ve deliberately chosen the future of my children and the sanctity of the Unbreakable Vow, to that of my broken dignity and respect. I don’t know how many of you think I’ve down right and I pray that such a situation never befalls you. I feel I have done the right thing, because at times, one must sacrifice ones personal happiness for the “Greater Good”. My wife now behaves normally with me, though she suspects that I have a hunch about her secret affair. She has taken to being nicer with me on and off bed. I don’t know how long this arrangement will last, but I sincerely pray that my sacrifice won’t be in vain. So now I hope that you learnt something from my experience and I would like to know your respective opinions on this matter and/or whether I took the right decision?

(1) (Reply)

99's Club / Patterns Of Personality - (amazing DVD VIDEO ) / My Love Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.