Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour (9639 Views)

Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House / Sachi Motorsport Audi A8 D3 4.2 Quattro Sport, Family Cruiser, V8 Content! / Sachi Motorsport - Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1,8 20V Turbo 5MT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by mukina2: 11:14pm On May 15, 2013

Members of the Nigeria Racing Eagle, the first team to represent Africa in the global FIA GT Series, were presented to a proud and appreciative audience at two separate events during the week.

The Nigerian team will be competing in the Grand Touring series that boasts a global audience of 500 million using super sports cars, one of which is an Audi R8 already decked in national colours of green and white and ready for action.

During the two events whch included a VIP cocktail at the Ikoyi Boat Club and an official unveiling at the Palms Shopping Mall Lekki (both in Lagos), Nigerian drivers Sam Collins, Nathan Wright and Ovie Iroro were introduced to the public along with former Red Bull Test Driver Adrian Zaugg and Gugu Zulu both from South Africa and Cameroonian Christian Ebong.

The team is a mix of seasoned veterans from Collins who has Formula One experience to precocious talents like 19-year-old Iroro, who barely three years, ago was racing Karts at the Get Arena, Lagos.

According to CEO GRC Motorsport and team principal Ribi Adshokan, the process of setting the team up took six years. Now we are happy to have them ready to represent Nigeria and, by extension, Africa when they compete at the major events around the world,” he said.

He also revealed that his organisation has been granted the hosting rights for GT Series in Nigeria. “We brought a world renowned street circuit designer to Lagos to do the initial survey, and Lagos Marina was selected as the best location to host the GT Series. It will be a street circuit just like the one in Monaco,” he said.

Adeshokan further disclosed plans of making the Racing Eagle team famous in the country through television reality shows and other fan-oriented programmes. He enthused about the advantages of Nigeria being associated with a prestigious sport like racing and explained that the country stands to benefit from the richest sport in the world projected to generate over $100 million for Nigeria by creating new jobs and promoting foreign investment.

Members of the public were invited to an interactive session with the drivers, and also had the opportunity of testing their skills with racing simulators at both events.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigerian-motorsport-team-presents-drivers-in-maiden-tour/146802/

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Ayomax(m): 11:24pm On May 15, 2013
tht nice. wish to represent Nigeria as well
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by ArQueBusieR(m): 11:26pm On May 15, 2013
I'm so, so proud of these guys. Pedal to the metal! Hurraaaaaah!!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by AbuMikey(m): 11:26pm On May 15, 2013
That's pretty nice___ Can someone link me with a CRICKET coach pls?
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by drizzit(m): 11:26pm On May 15, 2013
Hmmmmm.....GT in Naija? Nice concept....bin a long while....but come to think about it...ve ve got the facilities to really keep this noble idea going?...where are the roads?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Occurstaem(m): 11:27pm On May 15, 2013
A welcome development.Go make Nigeria proud.Best wishes.
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 11:29pm On May 15, 2013
Am so Gonna love this
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 11:29pm On May 15, 2013
hmmmmm....mst watch
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by NEROSKY(m): 11:34pm On May 15, 2013
Wow! I love it!
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 11:34pm On May 15, 2013
drizzit: Hmmmmm.....GT in Naija? Nice concept....bin a long while....but come to think about it...ve ve got the facilities to really keep this noble idea going?...where are the roads?

And you think stuffs like this would be introduced if there's no plans for reads.?
Smh.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by DisGuy: 11:37pm On May 15, 2013
drizzit: Hmmmmm.....GT in Naija? Nice concept....bin a long while....but come to think about it...ve ve got the facilities to really keep this noble idea going?...where are the roads?

they wont be racing in nigeria[not yet], they'll be competing in events in Europe

just sponsorship and exposure and the usual MOU

sam collins was on nairaland some years back

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by na2day(m): 11:40pm On May 15, 2013
Awon omode yi nfi iku sere! grin

This is a rarity!
I've always known Nigerians as a people with phobia for dangerous sports.

Kudos to them,
I will like to see the pictures of Nigerians on mount everest next grin

If no be the forty thousand dollrs tag, walahi I for do am grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 11:49pm On May 15, 2013
Where da f*ck is Anini when you need him

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by raynold(m): 11:50pm On May 15, 2013
this the best news I've heard about Nigeria really developing for years..
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 15, 2013
That's nice. Hopefully, the team can win some competitions for Naija.
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by RedLight1: 11:59pm On May 15, 2013
awesomeee!
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 12:04am On May 16, 2013
welcome development. We need a good rugby team aswell. Am a big fan of rugby

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by NigeriaMusic: 12:14am On May 16, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by NigeriaMusic: 12:17am On May 16, 2013
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by sboga: 12:21am On May 16, 2013
Do F-1 or NASCAR, not some unknown race
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:25am On May 16, 2013
Spee-diness!
I love car racing, F1, Dakar Rally, NASCAR, Baja 4000 Racing, speed! speed! spee-diness!
---------------------
Last Bullet: Nice one. FIA is coming to Nigeria.
Can't wait to see F1 gan gan in Lagos. Nigerian sport has stepped up.
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by page(m): 12:27am On May 16, 2013
WOW GREAT GUYS.......WISH YOU AL THE BEST..LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING MOTOR SPORTS LIVE IN NIGERIA......I LOVE NAIJA
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 12:29am On May 16, 2013
NigeriaMusic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYomPWNtJ5w
i heard one guy saying the car costs 1.5million pounds
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 12:34am On May 16, 2013
9jadelta: i heard one guy saying the car costs 1.5million pounds

Nope. It was insured for 1.5million pounds
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 12:40am On May 16, 2013
CFCfan:

Nope. It was insured for 1.5million pounds
wow
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 12:41am On May 16, 2013
9jadelta: wow

Yeah, that shows how valuable the car is.
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by YoshiMaster: 12:46am On May 16, 2013
Milllion dollar idea, someone should setup a formula one type gig in naija, full stadium, top of the line tracks and all.

That would be something I would pay to go watch.

This would also be a chance for innoson to cash in on a racing car model.

Don't forget the advertising, I can already hear KFC calling, and ofcourse zenith bank.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by HighBK: 12:49am On May 16, 2013
After driving for years on Benin Ore road, pot holes-ridden roads, flooded roads, semi flooded roads, tolled roads, danfo filled roads,... they have not excuse but to succeed when driving on the race track

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by Nobody: 12:56am On May 16, 2013
HighBK: After driving for years on Benin Ore road, pot holes-ridden roads, flooded roads, semi flooded roads, tolled roads, danfo filled roads,... they have not excuse but to succeed when driving on the race track
lol i agree with you. Buh benin ore road doesnt have pot-holes anymore
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by YoshiMaster: 12:58am On May 16, 2013
HighBK: After driving for years on Benin Ore road, pot holes-ridden roads, flooded roads, semi flooded roads, tolled roads, danfo filled roads,... they have not excuse but to succeed when driving on the race track

Thats why Nigerians mostly succeed abroad...

From candle light to an 80 watt bulb.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by martog: 1:01am On May 16, 2013
nice one! finally in naija. am lurving it.
Re: Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour by DECOtech(m): 1:10am On May 16, 2013
Ayomax: tht nice. wish to represent Nigeria as well
Me too oh!!! ...who knows how to get in touch.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? / 10 Things Every Woman Needs In Her Car / Didi Becomes First Nigerian To Own The N62m Ferrari 458 Italia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.