Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,427 members, 7,800,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? (24722 Views)

Where Can One Buy A High Performance Oil Filter / . / What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 04, 2008
Touareg, I don't have a car in Nigeria - haven't been there in 18 years.

But, I have clients in Nigeria, who either used to live in the UK, or regularly shuttle between the UK and Nigeria.

Some of them buy octane booster, which I send to them.

The only ones I recommend, from experience, are Castrol and Millers.
They are extremely potent, a lot of modified turbocharged cars I work on here run these too, as high boost levels often require a much higher octane rating than regular petrol here has.

Typically, octane ratings here are 95, 97 and 99.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 2:02pm On May 04, 2008
Hi Siena,

Thanks for the information.  I looked at Castrol and Millers during my research, but they are not powerful enough to raise the octane number to RON 95 for Nigeria.

Nigerian fuel demands an increase of at least 5 RON Numbers to effectively boost the octane.  Would your clients be interested the Octane Booster I use?

1 Like

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 2:31pm On May 04, 2008
@siena

hmm, u said i said what grin

i think i said that, d american cars i see here are unleaded as in like d ones imported for sale and blah blah blah, so i was wondering if we r selling leaded , wont d cars all damage, but d main aim of my thread, was to know if i could get RON 91 and above in naija, seeing as my car says premium 91, so i wanted to know if anyone had an idea, before u guys busted my bubble, on lead and unleaded. grin

but from what touareg said( nice write up my friend ), i am now at ease, what i will do is to make sure i buy from major petrol sellers and use a good octane booster, to turbo'octane'boost d car to ron 100, from passatworld, i hear d car is happy at that rate, oya siena comment grin grin

@siena

yes oh, we love bargains very very well, its in our blood. grin
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 5:34pm On May 04, 2008
Hi there nkc,

From my extensive research of the Nigerian market there isn't an effective octane booster that can cure our fuel problem, i.e. raise the Octane from 90 to at least 95. 

The majority of fuel additives in Nigeria are either primarily designed as engine cleaners or only produce minimal increases in octane levels.  The other thing to watch out for is the manufacturers reference to "actual increases in octane numbers".  A significant number of octane boosters claim to increase octane by 2 or 3, which is true.  But these numbers actually mean 0.2 or 0.3 and not 2 or 3 whole numbers.

The octane booster I have been using is one of the best in the world, and boosts octane by up to 7 RON Numbers (70 points).  In effect this product will easily do the job.

By the way, what vehicle do you drive; what is its year of manufacture; and how many litres (capacity) is your petrol tank.  Such information is crucial to advising you on whether you really need an octane booster and how much you should use per tank of petrol.

As I said before - If you look after your vehicle it will certainly look after you.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 5:42pm On May 04, 2008
i like d way u keep us in suspense, no name for this yur booster grin

my car is a 2002 passat glx 4motion 2.8lts engine

tank is 62liter

any oda info?
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 04, 2008
Hmm, I sense a very clever marketing strategy here. wink

A window of opportunity, that someone has seen. cool

2 Likes

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 5:59pm On May 04, 2008
@siena

so u r seeing it i love his style grin
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 7:47pm On May 04, 2008
Hi nkc,

Thank you for your vehicle details.  Am I right in assuming your Passat is a V6 with 30 Valves.  As you rightly said your vehicle requires premium fuel.

The USA use a slightly different measurement for its fuel, namely, Pump Octane Number (PON).  Most other countries use the Research Octane Number (RON) method.

Premium unleaded fuel in the States is equivalent to RON 95, used in the rest of the world, e.g. Nigeria and Europe.  In short your car needs RON 95 to run effectively and achieve optimum performance.

The Octane Booster I use in my Jeep comes in a 500ml bottle, which treats 60 litres of fuel - Perfect for calculations/measurements for your Passat.

Bearing in mind the relatively low cost of petrol in Nigeria (70 Naira per litre), the question is, how sensitive are you to paying more for better quality fuel?
By my calculations it currently cost you approximately 4,200 Naira to fill up your tank.

In the UK we are currently paying the equivalent of 248 Naira per litre, and it is rising every day! This equates to 14,880 Naira for a 60 litre car.

All the best.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 7:56pm On May 04, 2008
@touareg v8

yeah its d v6-30valve

how can i get this yur bottle, u have effectively guarded as yur baby, name and price please, no more questions. grin grin
cos my sensitivity is high already, so just hit it in d head, period.thanks

and how come fuel is more in d uk, chei, very expensive lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 8:20pm On May 04, 2008
I am currently working on a price structure for the Nigerian market. The price tag is estimated to be between 2500 and 3000 Naira per bottle.

I will no doubt give you further details if the product is of interest to you. Bulk buying and large customer interest will certainly make a BIG DIFFERENCE to the price above.

The costs and logistics associated with bringing this product to the market are considerable, as well as complex.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 8:25pm On May 04, 2008
wen u get it to naija den inform us, thanks
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 8:34pm On May 04, 2008
I already have some stock on its way to Nigeria. I will also be in Nigeria in three weeks time. Is the product of any interest to you?

Your thoughts and opinions are very welcome,
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 8:56pm On May 04, 2008
sure am intrested, but how can u we confirm it can boost d rons up to d point u r talking about, and whats d name of d product and its active ingredients? so i can understand d physics and science of such boost
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 6:33am On May 06, 2008
Good Morning nkc,

When I arrive in Nigeria I will provide you with all the proof and information you need to make an informed decision.  Rest assured you won't be dissappointed!  In fact you will be astonished smiley
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 6:37am On May 06, 2008
okay i will be waiting
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 6:39am On May 06, 2008
By the way, how can I make contact with you in Nigeria?
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 6:47am On May 06, 2008
u can mail me, check my profile
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 7:13am On Jun 01, 2008
Dear nkc,

Following our previous conversation I am now on the ground (in Nigeria) and available to answer any questions you may have.  The Octane Booster is called Pro-Strength Octane Booster (PSO), manufactured by Nulon in Australia.

Nulon PSO is specifically formulatd to incease the the octane rating of petrol used in high performance and competition engines.  PSO will boost RON by up to 7 numbers (70 points), hence, it is very appropriate for the petrol dilemmas we face in Nigeria.

If you want to experience the unquestionable and substantiated benefits of PSO please feel free to contact me. 
My Nigerian contact number is 0803 643 43 44, while my UK numbers are +44 117 917 5217 and +44 7770 582 888.

I am also attaching a product belluten for your perusal.

Welcome to an enjoyable driving experience.  It is your vehicle and your peace of mind - only ask for the best!!

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by fotodaddy: 8:29am On Jun 01, 2008
nkc, some more news for you from google:

Octane numbers are something we see every day and probably take for granted. We all know this is a rating means to measure a fuels resistance to pre-ignition, but how does that apply in a practical sense. Let's first assume you have a car that runs well on 91 octane. What could you gain by altering the fuel you fill up with. By going down to 87 octane you will achieve better mileage, but could risk detonation depending on your cars engine. By going up to 93 octane you might allow your car to advance the timing gaining horsepower. Due to lower BTUs per gallon you will give up a few miles per gallon. So right off you can see that it is a balancing act.

Looking closer at this, you notice that the extra horsepower comes from the ability of the car to advance timing and not the fuel itself. Higher octane fuel has less BTUs, but still nets power due to the timing advance and higher boost it can achieve. In modern vehicles with knock sensors the timing is constantly varied to achieve the best balance between performance and economy. Because this adjustment takes time, simply switch to higher octane at the track is not good enough. The fuel needs to be run in advance to allow the car to compensate for it. So using 91 all he time and then going to the track and filling up with 95 is not going to help your track times. You will have a faster car on the ride home though.

The other end of the spectrum is less octane. The down side here is the risk or pre-ignition and high EGTS. Both of these can lead to melted or bend pistons. Valves and the head is also placed in risk. If you have a modern vehicle it will detect this and retard timing to prevent damage. This timing modification is easy to detect with an OBDII scanner and it an easy to diagnose too fuel with too little octane.

Because of the above reasons, a lot of people turn to the boosters as a way of having both good fuel commonly and good performance at the track. The problem with them is most do not work. If you do find one what works, adding it to your tank a day before you go to the track can be beneficial. Despite the benefit, use boosters sparingly as most rely on MMT as a means of boosting the octane. Excessive MMT can cause problems with sensors, injectors, or even the exhaust.

By now you are probably confused again by what all of this means. To sum it up, if your car has no changes to compression, raised RPM limiter, or lots of boost, you should probably use whatever fuel the dealer recommends. If you have a race built motor, stick to a race fuel that meets the need of your engine. If you have a lightly tuned engine and enjoy the occasional track day, throw in a bottle of octane booster the day before and call it a day. Do not rely on boosters all of the time.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by fotodaddy: 8:31am On Jun 01, 2008
And if thats not enough and you MUST have a booster, then I can mix one for you with the chemicals required at a FRACTION of the cost.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

cool cool cool
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by fotodaddy: 8:48am On Jun 01, 2008
and if you still want some more info check out this thread:

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/cars-bikes/141798-how-make-relatively-cheap-octane-boost-race-fuel.html

do I order some xylene or toluene for you grin grin grin
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by fotodaddy: 8:59am On Jun 01, 2008
and if you still wnat some persuation, then check out the link

http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~audi/audi/toluene.html

I MUST order my toluene first thing on monday. cool
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 9:19pm On Jun 01, 2008
Dear nkc,

No doubt you have been bombarded with so much info,

At he end of the day only you can decide on the way forward for your particular circumstances Please digest the product bulletin I sent you very carefully Nulon PSO will solve our low octane petrol problems in Nigeria, with damaging your vehicle, Period.

I wouldn't dream of adding any harmful additives to my vehicle. The choice is yours!!!

By the way have you had an engine malfunction warning light appear on your instrument panel?
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by fotodaddy: 9:46pm On Jun 01, 2008
Dear TouaregV8

I know you are very good at research. Try to do some research into Octane Boosters and see what you come up with. I am sure you can come up with a product that is even better that the NULON PSO you speak so highly of. After all even this was a product of your research. Who knows, it could even be better priced too!! wink wink

I am sure I am not the only one who has learnt a lot from your research in to the type of fuel we have in Nigeria So its not far fetched for me to say that I personally look forward to a contribution from you which will help members offer solutions without there being an angle to it. And by angle I mean some dough to your pocket. not thats its bad to make dough sha!!! cool cool cool
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 9:55pm On Jun 01, 2008
Thanks

I'll Keep In Touch
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 10:02am On Jun 03, 2008
I have researched over twenty-one (21) octane booster products, and Nulon PSO is the best, sensible and honest money can buy.  The only other product that out performs PSO is race fuel.

As fellow Nairaland member I am more than happy to supply nkc with a few bottles at cost.  Furthermore, if you are in Lagos I can also let you have a free sample (bottle) to test the product.

The choice is yours!!!
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by fotodaddy: 8:51pm On Jun 03, 2008
Thanks so much V8. But as an Chemical engineer, its hard for me to accept to pay for branding. Toluene, which is the main octane boosting hydrocarbon used in octane boosters sells at 40,000 per 160 liter drum. There's no way you can match this price!!! cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 9:07pm On Jun 03, 2008
grin
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 5:12am On Jun 07, 2008
Good Morning nkc,

You haven't replied to my last message!!
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 5:17am On Jun 07, 2008
Good Morning,

This one u r awake dis early, jet lag

yes as i said , i will be in touch, u will sure hear from me in 7days approx, i have all your numbers stored in my phone , make i flash u , make u see grin
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 5:18am On Jun 07, 2008
yur fone is off grin
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 5:22am On Jun 07, 2008
0803 643 43 44

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Innoson Rolls Out 500 Made In Nigeria Cars Today / Made In Nigerian Buses Finally Hit Lagos Road. / New Plate Number: How Much In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.