Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,127 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

10 Myths About Introverts - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Myths About Introverts (28394 Views)

Problems Only Introverts Will Understand / Top 10 Myths About Africa / Top Ten Myths About Introverts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Myths About Introverts by maclatunji: 12:43pm On May 16, 2013
Top ten myths about introverts

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.

Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.

Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.

Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.

Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

This list was inspired by the book The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Laney.

http://jerrybrito.org/post/6114304704/top-ten-myths-about-introverts?1d4ef638/

141 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by maclatunji: 12:44pm On May 16, 2013
#Introvert

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by maclatunji: 1:40pm On May 16, 2013
koonbey: this post is a dumb,a collection of personal sentiments and assertions which the OP is trying to pass off as Fact

So, what are the facts about introverts?

9 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Kslib(m): 4:26pm On May 16, 2013
koonbey: this post is a dumb,a collection of personal sentiments and assertions which the OP is trying to pass off as Fact
Why not debunk the Op's point by dropping down yours.. Stop blabbing and make his points look stupid by providing yours or are you just angry that after reading the above you discovered you ain't no introvert like you thought you were.. Shit happens bro...

37 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 7:12pm On May 16, 2013
well! I guess its good to get to meet them, then.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by merciie(f): 10:00pm On May 16, 2013

as much as its a collection of dumb facts, share your own not-so-dumb facts and lets see if we can relate to it

3 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 17, 2013
proud introvert here. cool

18 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 17, 2013

lol as a person who is an introvert I can tell you,
it's spot on.

ESPECIALLY #s 4,6,7 & 8!!

13 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 17, 2013
*Kails*:

lol as a person who is an introvert I can tell you,
it's spot on.

ESPECIALLY #s 4,6,7 & 8!!

Especially all. . .

8 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by slimyem: 3:18pm On May 17, 2013
The explanations trying to beat off the myths are not too far from the myths themselves except for point 10.undecided

2 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Ajibel(m): 8:12pm On May 17, 2013
Damn!!! This article is spot on. The whole points just described who i am. embarassed
Thanx 4sharing @maclatunji

5 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by maclatunji: 10:13pm On May 17, 2013
Ajibel: Damn!!! This article is spot on. The whole points just described who i am. embarassed
Thanx 4sharing @maclatunji

You are welcome, glad you like it.

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Freiburger(m): 10:44pm On May 17, 2013
But i'm not seeing any personal sentiment here, much as i can understand, the facts are straightforward.

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 3:35am On May 18, 2013
Op I think we will have to accept something, that sometimes some, not all, but some of those myths are true. It's just that nobody is an absolute. You can't always like to be quiet, or to stay indoors, or to be alone, the same way an extrovert cannot always like partying, or being with people, or talking, he also wants his alone time. No one is an absolute, we are a mixture of temperaments. Sometimes we feel this way, other times we feel that way. In fact I remember when someone described me, he said ''he could be very friendly when he wants to, but when he wants to be alone, he's alone''. Although some people are more extreme than others, they could want more alone time, but generally nobody is an absolute, just in different shades of grey.smiley

By the way, although I am an introvert, I am a thrill seeker, love extreme sports, only the ones connected to natural sites though. There's also Dean Potter, he's an introvert but see what he does:

Dean Potter is the only person in the world who does extreme slack-lining.
This hair-raising variation of tightrope-walking finds Dean high in the sky, crossing a bouncy, one-inch-thick stretch of rope without using either a pole for balance, or any kind of safety harness.
Dean has 'slack-lined' across some of the world's most breathtaking canyons, suspended hundreds of feet above the ground. One slip could see him plunge to hisdeath

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/daredevils/episode-guide/series-1/episode-2

He also climbs cliffs without any safety equipment. That's who I call the baddest boy mehn! cool
So you see, some introverts could actually be adrenaline junkies, they just do their thing in mother nature's blossom.
Apart from this misconception, nice post. smiley

8 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 3:39am On May 18, 2013
You guys shouldn't mind that koonbay guy. Dude thinks he can just insult a post without reason and everybody else will follow. Perfect example of a dumbass.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 9:38am On May 18, 2013
For real..... This so true.... Cus am an Introvert...They all think i am shy angry angry angry angry And one yeye aunty of mine didn't invite me to a party cus she thinks I don't know how to have fun undecided undecided undecided(i wouldn't ve gone anyways)

But they are all so f***king wrong!!!
My true closest friends know me cool cool cool

23 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by alaoeri: 9:42am On May 18, 2013
Op pls what's introvert?
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by tpia5: 9:42am On May 18, 2013
Balance is key.

Very few people are actually total introverts, most are just introverted to different extents.

It helps if you have a hobby or activity to keep you busy.

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by fe32(m): 9:42am On May 18, 2013
an introvert right here...true that it's not usually absolute but the points are very very true. Infact it's just like OP knows me wella smiley

3 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nuzo1(m): 9:45am On May 18, 2013
I guess most Libra of the zodiac signs are introverts.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 9:45am On May 18, 2013
Someone just analyse me
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by JMystique(m): 9:46am On May 18, 2013
Agree with most of what u said.....i'm an introvert so i know
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by dridowu: 9:47am On May 18, 2013
Proudly Introvert
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:50am On May 18, 2013
maclatunji: Top ten myths about introverts

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.

Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.

Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.

Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.

Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

This list was inspired by the book The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Laney.

http://jerrybrito.org/post/6114304704/top-ten-myths-about-introverts?1d4ef638/
it's amazin that whenever u are not trying to defend some kind of a primitive religion, we are alwys on d same page!

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Suljosh: 9:52am On May 18, 2013
Silkmoth33: well! I guess its good to get to meet them, then.
I'm an introvert and I totaly agreed with what he has said here
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Cultured(m): 9:55am On May 18, 2013
The author is 100% correct , it seem as if he knows me , because all he wrote are exactly, characteristics of my life style .
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Uchem1(m): 9:57am On May 18, 2013
dis post is jst perfect. I am also proud to be an introvert, if u want to knw more, read d book why u act d way u act by Tim himalaye. Tanx for d post
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Shezzman: 9:57am On May 18, 2013
Wow!!Am thrilled..
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Input(m): 9:58am On May 18, 2013
*Kails*:
proud introvert here. cool
Must you tell me? wink
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by olumaxi(m): 9:58am On May 18, 2013
Introverts ar slow to react..they canneva make a gud president..eg ebele

2 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Shezzman: 9:59am On May 18, 2013
Wants to know more?Get Spirit controlled temperament by Til lahaye

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Banana Experiment / Things You Must Never Do In Public / Ever Help Someone And You Landed Into Trouble?? ... Share

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.