Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,033 members, 7,803,472 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines (11734 Views)

International Airlines To Reduce Flights To Nigeria Next Year / Anatomy Of An Entrepreneur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by bluehorizo(m): 7:20am On Apr 23, 2008
President Umaru Yar’Adua has directed the Minister of State for Transportation in charge of Aviation, Mr. Felix Hyatt, to investigate reports of maltreatment of Nigerian passengers by foreign airlines.

The President, according to a source in the Presidency, was particularly miffed at an incident that took place on March 27, 2008, in which British Airways allegedly ordered over 100 Nigerians off its London–Lagos bound flight.

The passengers were reportedly protesting the brutal treatment of a Nigerian deportee aboard the flight.

The source said that Yar’Adua also directed the Aviation Minister to officially notify all foreign airlines operating in the country that the Federal Government would no longer tolerate the maltreatment of Nigerian passengers aboard their aircraft.

The source added that Yar’Adua expressed disgust at the nonchalant attitude of British Airways officials in response to the incident.

The President, it was learnt, also asked the minister to furnish him with a report of the development on the completion of the investigation.

The source explained that the President had so far not received any official report on the British Airways incident, and was only informed by reports in the media.

The source said, “The President is said to be concerned by the recent resurgence of complaints about the poor treatment, discrimination and downright abuse meted out to Nigerians by some foreign airlines operating in the country.

“The President has also directed the Minister to make it absolutely clear to all foreign airlines operating in Nigeria that under no circumstance will his administration tolerate the subjection of Nigerian passengers to less than acceptable standards of treatment.”

In another development, the President on Tuesday telephoned Lagos lawyer and human rights activist, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN), in London to convey his personal best wishes to him on the occasion of his 70th birthday anniversary.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200804233293865
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Apr 23, 2008
lmao!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by bawomolo(m): 4:55pm On Apr 23, 2008
this is really a priority.
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by BigB11(m): 4:59pm On Apr 23, 2008
Bravo goes to Yaradua; this is a nice move.

But on twisted mode, I think we have ourselves to blame.
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by hollandis(f): 5:18pm On Apr 23, 2008
Aluta Continua Victoria Ascerta

A STRUGGLE FOR ONE IS A STRUGGLE FOR ALL

140million+X GBOOSA to Yaradulldua from the 140million+X evervibrant,ever corrosive,ever militant Nigerians both at home and in the diaspora
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by angel101(f): 5:41pm On Apr 23, 2008
The embassies next!
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by almondjoy(f): 5:43pm On Apr 23, 2008
Is he not ashamed of himself?  When his country does not have functioning international airports without wildlife grazing all over the fields or airlines to shuttle Nigerians in and out of Nigeria?

Nigerians have no shame!----------------------------TUFIAKWA!!!!!

Hmm!

What a disgrace!

[size=15pt]UNA NO GET SHAME?----GO AND MAINTAIN YOUR OWN BLOODY AIRLINES AND STOP YOUR RETARDED WHINNINGS----DUNCES!!!![/size]
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by angel101(f): 5:55pm On Apr 23, 2008
@ almondjoy
is not having a national carrier a licence to be mistreat paying customers? (mind u nigeria is relatively the most expensive route in the world!)
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by rite2salas(m): 5:56pm On Apr 23, 2008
, the embarrasement continues undecided with Yaradua investigating
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On Apr 23, 2008
When are we going to learn that it is better to EARN respect rather than continue to believe we should DEMAND respect?? The man has time to deal with this but he is yet to get around dealing with the major issues that most Nigerians are more concerned about.

How can you continue treating yourself like trash but feel you need to demand that others treat you like you are more??
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by BigB11(m): 6:05pm On Apr 23, 2008
So, because "Nigeria does not have functioning international airports without wildlife grazing all over the fields or airlines to shuttle Nigerians in and out of Nigeria" Nigerian citizens (the customers) should be mistreated by foreign airlines?

The way we think, only God can help us!
You can only be treated the way you see yourself and the manner you've used to present yourself!
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by 4Him1(m): 6:05pm On Apr 23, 2008
Yar Adua shld go and find the crashed Beechcraft plane first. We like putting the cart before the horse.
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by almondjoy(f): 6:10pm On Apr 23, 2008
angel101:

@ almondjoy
is not having a national carrier a licence to be mistreat paying customers? (mind u nigeria is relatively the most expensive route in the world!)

When will you guys ever learn to accept the truth?  Have you ever travelled with a bunch of Nigerians? undecided Please stop all this self-indulgence.  Who is maltreating us? Or or we drawing unnecessary negative attention to ourselves. Look, I have travelled with a lot of Nigerians. . .and let me tell you. . .they behave like animals. Is it the noise, or the unruly behavior, or the irritating behaviors of yelling at the flight attendents or where do we start?

Are Nigerians the only "black" people in this world?  What is so special about being a "Nigerian" if not the loud mouth and disgusting personality of sheer arrogance and stupidity? Why do they not maltreat Kenyans or Ghananians? undecided

Nigerian is the most expensive route in the world. . .yet your government is not smart enough to exploit such an advantage.  Then to add insult to injury. . . most are whinning here about "maltreatment" !  Always a consumer of services and never a manufacturer of any.

Infact. . . I only feel pity for such a God-forsaken country and it's inhabitants.

I wish una goodluck! kiss

Kobojunkie:

When are we going to learn that it is better to EARN respect rather than continue to believe we should DEMAND respect?? The man has time to deal with this but he is yet to get around dealing with the major issues that most Nigerians are more concerned about.

How can you continue treating yourself like trash but feel you need to demand that others treat you like you are more??

This only makes me wonder how children are raised in Nigeria. . . no respect for truth and self respect.  I am sorry for Nigeria I say.

Big B1:

So, because "Nigeria does not have functioning international airports without wildlife grazing all over the fields or airlines to shuttle Nigerians in and out of Nigeria" Nigerian citizens (the customers) should be mistreated by foreign airlines?

The way we think, only God can help us!
You can only be treated the way you see yourself and the manner you've used to present yourself!

I am happy about your last sentence.  If you act a fool without realizing you are a fool. . . then others will make you realize you are a fool!
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by BigB11(m): 6:11pm On Apr 23, 2008
Again, we have no choice but to blame ourselves for some of these problems; but we must also know that if you label yourself as a goat you will surely be treated as such.

Wake up, guys!
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by bawomolo(m): 6:16pm On Apr 23, 2008
Nigeria did have a national carrier (Nigerian airway) which was mismanaged.

but when the same government tries to at least do something - they laugh and condemn the government saying that is not a priority - wtF -

what would be done after this investigation, it's not as if nigeria is going to file a suit against these airlines. there's something called priorities. wasting staff members on some meaningless investigation is no good.

I don't blame them - they don't have visas to come home

lol, it's not that hard to bribe a nigerian embassy official for a visa or passport. since when did a nigerian visa become hard to get. abi na gold??

nything the government do to cater for the well being of the citizens - is laughed off by the same citizens - foolish people.

i doubt the average nigerian living in poverty is planning to fly on British airways. i may be wrong though
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by almondjoy(f): 6:17pm On Apr 23, 2008
Big B1:

Again, we have no choice but to blame ourselves for some of these problems; but we must also know that if you label yourself as a goat you will surely be treated as such.

Wake up, guys!

Some of us are very awake. . . enough to realize that most Nigerians are actually "goats" on two left legs!  No need to make labels. . . they are actually goats only people like you cannot see the reality because you choose to be complacent and outright apathetic!
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by 4Him1(m): 6:20pm On Apr 23, 2008
his_grace:

In America - a plane went missing last year - with a billionaire as the single occupant and the pilot - till today - the plane has never been found - the American people didnt call down on their president to go and find it out - what a this-respect - but in Nigeria - a plane goes missing and Nigerians use it as another opportunity to rain down brimstone and fire on the country and on the President - as if it hasnt happened anywhere else?

The said plane that went missing in America late last year is still missing till today - I bet America is as backward as it becomes so difficult for them to find a missing plane.
Read the missing plane story here - fools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Steve_Fossett

You're missing the big picture here. When America cant find a plane its because something extra-ordinary must have happened, when Nigeria cant find a plane its 100% down to inefficiency.

Steve Fosset's was a private aircraft, he didnt have to report coordinates to anyone.
The Beechcraft plane was flying to pick up a whole state Governor!!! what if the governor was onboard when it vanished?

How many large Jet aricraft have crashed in Nigeria and its taken us days to find it? Over 100 soldiers perished in the Ejigbo disaster, it took us days to find the plane . . .
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by almondjoy(f): 6:22pm On Apr 23, 2008
his_grace:

Almondjoy -

You are the king of goats - trust me - if anyone wants to see human goats - they should call you up and you will take them to thy kingdom of goats -

Please make that "Queen" of "She Goats"!  I have not grown  a pe-nis yet! cheesy

4 Him:

You're missing the big picture here. When America can't find a plane its because something extra-ordinary must have happened, when Nigeria can't find a plane its 100% down to inefficiency.

Steve Fosset's was a private aircraft, he didnt have to report coordinates to anyone.
The Beechcraft plane was flying to pick up a whole state Governor!!! what if the governor was onboard when it vanished?

How many large Jet aricraft have crashed in Nigeria and its taken us days to find it? Over 100 soldiers perished in the Ejigbo disaster, it took us days to find the plane . . .

I am shocked you are taking that clown seriously. . .he thinks this is a "Mouth Action" thread! cheesy
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by BigB11(m): 6:25pm On Apr 23, 2008
@Almondjoy:

You have been throwing unnecessary stones all morning; again, please comport yourself as a lady.
It is very unpleasant to disrespect or pick a fight with a chick.

Please, focus more on the topics and have some self respect!
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by BigB11(m): 6:35pm On Apr 23, 2008
Our standard of living is very low, our leaders are corrupt, our people can not be trusted, we do not have electric or water supply on a regular, our roads are also retarded and so on.

Nigerian citizens must be treated with respect at all time regardless of what our nation may be up against.
At this point, the only thing we (Nigerian citizens) have left that is solid is our pride; and I'm sorry to inform some of us that this pride must be protected at all cost.

It is also clear to me that we do not need a blood test or blood sample to detect a bastard. It is written everywhere on the wall.

May God continue to bless Nigeria and quickly bring back the beautiful days!
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by Kobojunkie: 6:37pm On Apr 23, 2008
@Hollandais, What exactly do you mean ?? I have been racking my head here trying to understand figure out the meaning in your post. LMAO!!
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by BigB11(m): 6:39pm On Apr 23, 2008
I want to ask o - does living in America turn people into a fool and a stupid buffon who does not know how to make objective statements and rational thinking?

Some of these fools don't even have a green card.
It is so sad.

But it is true that it is worthless to send home a boy that has no home.
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by Uche2nna(m): 6:43pm On Apr 23, 2008
@ 4HIM
Yar Adua shld go and find the crashed Beechcraft plane first. We like putting the cart before the horse.

Actually, both are not mutually exclusive. Who says he cant do both?

Having said that, I think I agree with Kobo on this one. We really have to start earning respect instead of demanding for one. And it should start by the Nigerian government treating its own citizens well. U cant care less about the welfare of ur citizens only to turn and cry wolf if another nationality does the same. There is an old saying "If U call ur house thrash, then ur neigbours would use it as a dumpster".

Question is "How do we portay ourselves to the outside world"? We can only be treated according to the way we project ourselves. And right now the projection is dat , the average Nigerian is a crook , a scammer etc and so we are treated as such. It is left for us to change that perception before we have the impetus to ask for better treatment.
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by 4Him1(m): 6:47pm On Apr 23, 2008
Uche2nna:

@ 4HIM

Actually, both are not mutually exclusive. Who says he can't do both?

my point is we cant be chasing after BA when our own aviation industry is a disgrace.
We need to learn to prioritize, most airlines who patronise the Lagos route know we have no other choice since we cant even maintain a proper national carrier so why do we complain when they treat us badly?

Yar Adua's problems far outweight complaining about Nigerians being kicked out of aircraft for disturbing the peace. We should start by making sure we provide our citizens with an equally better alternative.
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by Njoy1(f): 6:50pm On Apr 23, 2008
whats wrong with the President making life and things easy for the people he rules over? Some postings are simply very mind boggling.
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by cola: 6:52pm On Apr 23, 2008
That the president wants Nigerians treated better foreigners is the reason 'we' are goats! And that's coming from a supposed Nigerian! Oh my! Going by posts by this individual in other threads and other setions, I conclude she isn't worth joining issues with.
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by Uche2nna(m): 6:57pm On Apr 23, 2008
@ his-grace
I dont think so.

Cruel as it may sound , thats the reality facing Nigeria and Nigerians today. Whatever we are experiencing today is an effect of the HOLE WE HAVE DUG OURSELVES INTO. It is like the cause and effect thingy or the disease and symptoms thingy. U can treat the symptoms all U want but as long as U dont go for the root cause then all ur efforts are merely cosmetic.
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by bawomolo(m): 6:57pm On Apr 23, 2008
whats wrong with the President making life and things easy for the people he rules over? Some postings are simply very mind boggling.

i'm sorry, the aviation record of Nigeria is horrible but the first thing that gets investigated is the customer service of foreign airlines. does that make sense to you??
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by naijababi: 6:58pm On Apr 23, 2008
dont understand why nigerians choose to still remain in south africa really, its not by force they dnt really like us  soo, leave their country simple!!!
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by Nobody: 7:01pm On Apr 23, 2008
How did South Africa enter this issue?
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by Njoy1(f): 7:01pm On Apr 23, 2008
bawomolo:

i'm sorry, the aviation record of Nigeria is horrible but the first that gets investigated is the customer service of foreign airlines. does that make sense to you?? 

And what you have written makes any sense to you? So because your house is leaking now - and there is a fault with your electiricty, you will because your house is leaking, leave out the fact that you also have to sort your electiricity problem?

How do people reason like a fish so?
Re: Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines by Njoy1(f): 7:02pm On Apr 23, 2008
naijababi:

don't understand why nigerians choose to still remain in south africa really,  its not by force they dnt really like us  soo,  leave their country simple!!!

Bro - its not only South Africa - before they start abusing you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

GTBank Named 2013 African Bank Of The Year. / Make Money Selling Molfix Diapers,it's One Of The Fastest Selling Product In Nig / What Business Can I Start with a 200,000N capital?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.