Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly (11606 Views)

Lagos Plans To Spend N1bn On Schools Renovation / INEC To Jail Presidential Candidates That Spend Above N1bn On Campaign / FG, States To Spend N1bn To Compute GDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by trendystuf(f): 11:23pm On May 16, 2013
Lagosian To Pay "MERRIMENT TAX" For Every Party You Celebrate Elaborately

Lagos State Government says residents of Lagos spend more than N1 billion on merriment and entertainment monthly.

The state Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr Ademorin Kuye, gave the figure at a news conference organised to mark Gov. Babatunde Fashola`s sixth year in office.

He said the figure was derived from a research recently conducted by the Ministry of Budgeting and Planning, which showed that the residents spent a lot of money on entertainment.

Kuye lamented that the benefits of entertainment had not been fully tapped to boost revenue generation in terms of taxes.

"There is merriment tax in the constitution, it is part of the rates local governments can collect. We have not fully utilised the benefit of the entertainment industry in this state.

"Over N1 billion is spent monthly in Lagos state on entertainment, we have the records to confirm this and these people, how many of them pay tax?

``The money goes into drinks, wine, food, aso-ebi (uniform dresses) and all of that and when they spend all of this money, they do not want to pay anything to the government."

http://leadership.ng/news/160513/lagos-residents-spend-n1b-monthly-merriment-commissioner

What's your say on this merriment tax? Do you think it's a welcome development?

Source: http://trendysturvs..com/2013/05/lagosian-to-pay-merriment-tax-for-every.html

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Dygeasy(m): 2:04am On May 17, 2013
I swear to God! This post refused to hide.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Scarpon(m): 2:37am On May 17, 2013
omo na indoors or forest party now oo

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 2:55am On May 17, 2013
Pls anyone you show me where I can get that picture..bikooooo.. I will really appreciate it.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by tpia5: 3:55am On May 17, 2013
op, you are sick for posting that picture.

you want to earn your pay, abi?

money wey go finish you.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 4:05am On May 17, 2013
Which kind picture be this o? I don laugh tire o. I even don crack my ribs in the process. Nigeria is a comedy nation where anything goes. I don die o!

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by pomporiking: 7:43am On May 17, 2013
Raji Baba dey vex oooh!!!
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by azpekuliar: 10:00am On May 17, 2013
That's some real merriment in that photo! cheesy
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by jaymichael(m): 11:13am On May 17, 2013
Wetin concern this useless government with how the citizens spend their hard earned money. You hustle, you pay company tax, land use tax, personal income tax, radio and tv tax, advert tax, VAT, etc etc.. you pass roads that are suppose to be free, you pay tolls, you provide your own electricity, water, pay for your own healthcare, education, you never get anything done for you @the local government or state secretariat without you paying them money. Inspite of all these, you manage save some money to celebrate your IKOMO or your daughter's wedding ceremony, government still dey vex say you no get right to celebrate unless you give them something. Na wa o! when will this government start to think of giving to the people instead of fleecing them?

47 Likes

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by freebloke: 11:30am On May 17, 2013
I fitnot xplain weda na laff or na cry dey do mi now... D@ pix is 'off-da-rail' cheesy
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Dibiachukwu: 12:13pm On May 17, 2013
Yes. I am tired of all this owambe!
Tax them all angry
Make sure they run out of money to buy #200 credit; that they use to post bigoted comments on nairaland.
Tax them all grin

ps: all those saying kill them all on boko haram related threads. Please desist. Let the military do their job professionally. No need for babaric slogans

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 12:28pm On May 17, 2013
Dibiachukwu: Yes. I am tired of all this owambe!
Tax them all angry
Make sure they run out of money to buy #200 credit; that they use to post bigoted comments on nairaland.
Tax them all grin

ps: all those saying kill them all on boko haram related threads. Please desist. Let the military do their job professionally. No need for babaric slogans
what is this one saying again have u taken ur medication.

17 Likes

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by dridowu: 1:08pm On May 17, 2013
Aso ebi left and right. Oya tme to pay tax.
Eko oni bajeeeee
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 1:08pm On May 17, 2013
ENJOY NOW SUFFER LATER
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by RedLight1: 1:10pm On May 17, 2013
nonsense... 98% of lagiosians live below 1USD excluding me sha grin
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by dedons: 1:13pm On May 17, 2013
The same people keeps complaining dat NIGERIA is bad

Abeg where he dey 2mrw,i wan attend grin

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 17, 2013
Mehn that photo na die

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Akpaife(m): 1:16pm On May 17, 2013
Oga m/police enjoy ur self person no go die 4 ds work oooo
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Demdem(m): 1:16pm On May 17, 2013
Excellent development. Afterall, lagos isn't introducing any new tax, just enforcing existing tax in our law books.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by noskeybaba: 1:17pm On May 17, 2013
I spend like 5% of this amount. cool
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Decapo: 1:17pm On May 17, 2013
ok
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Nobody: 1:20pm On May 17, 2013
obadiah777: ENJOY NOW SUFFER LATER
grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by Agbgift(f): 1:22pm On May 17, 2013
So meriment get tax again? Are they trying to tell us that after paying all the neccessary tax, d little pay one gets @ d end, he or she can't use it to joli again. Them 4 nor jst they pay person salary @ all then all in the name of tax.
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by dedons: 1:22pm On May 17, 2013
D tym don cum wey na gari and groundnut dem go dey serve people 4 party
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by nekaa(f): 1:23pm On May 17, 2013
Wow... I love that state:.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by noskeybaba: 1:26pm On May 17, 2013
jaymichael: Wetin concern this useless government with how the citizens spend their hard earned money. You hustle, you pay company tax, land use tax, personal income tax, radio and tv tax, advert tax, VAT, etc etc.. you pass roads that are suppose to be free, you pay tolls, you provide your own electricity, water, pay for your own healthcare, education, you never get anything done for you @the local government or state secretariat without you paying them money. Inspite of all these, you manage save some money to celebrate your IKOMO or your daughter's wedding ceremony, government still dey vex say you no get right to celebrate unless you give them something. Na wa o! when will this government start to think of giving to the people instead of fleeing them?

That's Lagos for you brother. U nailed it. They will want to collect everything u have.

Imagine this: its raining, Aηδ water use τ̅☺ enter ♍ƴ shop, S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ I have τ̅☺ call carpenter τ̅☺ do some extension outside S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ it can prevent the rain from spoiling ♍ƴ goods. The next week some hungry looking guys came from Mushin LGA that I should pay them 2k for putting that thing. I told them τ̅☺ goto hell. They droped the receipt there Aηδ say I must pay.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by deols(f): 1:26pm On May 17, 2013
This is interesting o. That picture is a rib breaker.

I want the party after burials to end. For that one, they can tax. I never understood the need to celebrate after someone's death like you are happy they died.

For every other thing, ibeg. Nigerians aren't happy with d existing Nigerian situation and d government is now planning to end the one reason people hope for the next weekend??

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by ninja4life(m): 1:26pm On May 17, 2013
Let there be luxury tax,if u hav more than 2cars u must pay tax and also if u hav more than 3houses u pay tax and d like i tink if dis is implementd it will go a long way in curbing d type of excessive spending lifestyle we live and people will be forced to invest there money in something meaningful.

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by GentleNaaz(m): 1:27pm On May 17, 2013
Bobo owombe arabanko, owombe arabanko........ Mk dm dy dance arabanko join
Re: Lagosians Spend N1bn On 'Owambe' Monthly by DJDOLA(m): 1:29pm On May 17, 2013
Yes I love it let them pay tax..expecialy we yorubas we love party were by we buy every party items on credits..after d party we now be runing up and down 2 pay our debt..I BEG WHO SEND U

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

‘APC Stockpiling Arms, Recruiting Cultists For Bayelsa Poll’ / New Set Of 114 Roads Ready By Nov. 2017 – Ambode / PHOTOS: Osinbajo Presides Over FEC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.