Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,682 members, 7,805,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States (12234 Views)

Kaduna Beggars Protest Ban By Government (Photo) / Nigerian Army Jails Lt. Col., 15 Others Over Chibok Girls’ Abduction / Lagos Didnt Deport Beggars, Only Reunited Them With Their Families (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 9:18am On May 17, 2013
One hundred and twenty beggars and destitute have been convicted just as 1,708 of them were sent packing from Lagos State to their various states and countries by the government.

Special Adviser to the Governor on Youth and Social Development, Dr. Dolapo Badru, said this on Thursday during a press conference in Ikeja.

Reacting to the civil society organisations's condemnation of the government's clampdown on beggars, he said the present administration respected the rights of persons living with disabilities, adding that government would, however, not bend the law when such groups of persons fall foul of the law.

He said, "Nearly everyday when my men go on enforcement, this same set of people draw daggers and knives on my staff; they stab and bite them to evade arrest because they broke the law and when such a person is taken to court to be convicted, a person sits down in his air-conditioned office raining abuses on us for doing what is right."

He noted that some of those convicted posed as beggars in the traffic to rob unsuspecting motorists. He vowed that government would not stop its clampdown on them until the trend was nipped in the bud.

He said the 1,708 beggars and destitute ejected from the state were either sent back to their states of origin, while foreigners among them were repatriated.

He said the rehabilitation office dealt with the issues of begging and destitution in the state and that in line with the government's policy of ridding the streets of such persons, the office had consistently embarked on an aggressive raid of beggars, mentally challenged and the destitute from the streets, highways and bridges of Lagos.

Badru stated that the mode of getting this category of persons into the rehabilitation centres was by referrals from members of the public and rescue operations carried out by the Office of Youth and Social Development.

He said, "In the last one year, a total number of 3,114 beggars, destitute persons and mentally challenged were rescued in day and night operations.

"No fewer than 2,695 were taken to the Rehabilitation and Training Centre, Owutu, Ikorodu, where government has provided facilities to help in turning their lives around.

"Forty-eight children and toddlers were transferred to the Child Protection Unit; another 48 street children, cleaning windscreens at intersections, were rescued and transferred to the Special Correctional Centre for Boys, Oregun; eight were transferred to the Child Transit Home, Idi Araba, while 315 Persons (203 male and 54 female) suspected to be criminals were handed over to the task force for prosecution."

http://punchng.mobi/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/metro/lasg-jails-120-beggars-ejects-1708-others/

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 9:22am On May 17, 2013
Only lagos state is operating like a country, so they can deport person.. Na waoh

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Dibiachukwu: 12:19pm On May 17, 2013
It is now a crime to be a beggar shocked
Who gave lagos state government all these rights?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 17, 2013
Dibiachukwu: It is now a crime to be a beggar shocked
lwkmd this people are damn funny

1 Like

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 12:33pm On May 17, 2013
Grabs popcorn waiting for showdown
frontpage pls mukina i can see u
Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Decapo: 12:39pm On May 17, 2013
shutdown system....virus alert!!!!
Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by momodub: 12:39pm On May 17, 2013
where will you deport nigeria beggers to ? are we not one nigeria even in amelica there are beggers

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by mike404(m): 12:40pm On May 17, 2013
Fashola Ori e wa nbe Omo iya grin

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Lilimax(f): 12:40pm On May 17, 2013
How come beggars are being deported in Lagos.
Thought they have beggars street very close to Kano street in Ebute-metta
What will happen to those beggars there?
Just wondering undecided
Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 12:40pm On May 17, 2013
Fashola is working. . He dont give a damm!

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Burger01(m): 12:42pm On May 17, 2013
EKO O NI BAJE!!!!

Haters go jump from 3rd mainland bridge.

wink

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:42pm On May 17, 2013
Why dnt u give them the humble opportunity in ur state?

Is beggin a job?

I didn't hear him going into offices or markets and deporting them. So what are u saying!

I think it's affecting u. We knw the beggers are ur informants and grass to your various crimes. By ur username, u shld either be a kidnapper, or an armed robber!

20 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by trigar12(m): 12:42pm On May 17, 2013
Good one. These beggars are too much in lagos, a beggar was trying to harrass a lady for not giving her money in ikorodu. Abeg chase them out.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by toby09(m): 12:42pm On May 17, 2013
instead of jailing these beggars, they can as well be rehabilitated.
Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Akpaife(m): 12:43pm On May 17, 2013
I dnt no wht is worng wt lagos state Govt deporting piple in their own fathers land is lagos another conutry or nig?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Monzuur(m): 12:44pm On May 17, 2013
They should av provide 4 their needs instead of jailin or deportin dem.....hungry moda f*ckers......
Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Burger01(m): 12:45pm On May 17, 2013
Oh boy!!

I now understand why your handler is 'Dibiachukwu'

sad

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Akpaife(m): 12:47pm On May 17, 2013
Dnt mine them bt time will tell
Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Krasid(m): 12:48pm On May 17, 2013
Don't blame fashola for everything.The way people are trooping to lagos nowadays for greener pastures is alarming.So if they know they cannot take care of theirselves in lagos they should go back to their villages where life should be less stressful for them.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by mike404(m): 12:48pm On May 17, 2013
Burger01:
Oh boy!!

I now understand why your handler is 'Dibiachukwu'

sad
The guy na igbo wannabe now

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 17, 2013
Akpa ife: I dnt no wht is worng wt lagos state Govt deporting piple in their own fathers land is lagos another conutry or nig?
When El Rufai did in it Abuja people said all sorts of things against him but now everybody loves Abuja. So it's normal for people to rain abuses on Fashola for doing the right thing. I only hope care homes will be set up for such people.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by victorD3: 12:49pm On May 17, 2013
You make stupid policies that creates destitute and beggars just to deport them.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 17, 2013
Akpa ife: I dnt no wht is worng wt lagos state Govt deporting piple in their own fathers land is lagos another conutry or nig?

When El Rufai did in it Abuja people said all sorts of things against him but now everybody loves Abuja, so it's only normal for people to rain abuses on Fashola for doing the right thing. I only hope care homes will be set up for such people.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 17, 2013
He said the 1,708 beggars and destitute ejected from the state were either sent back to their states of origin, while foreigners among them were repatriated.

And someone was arguing that Nigerians were not wicked to themselves
How does Fashola know their state of origin
Are there ID cards on beggars
Some of these are abandoned children by unwed teenage teenage mothers who know no other homes but the streets of Lagos but Fashola wants them anywhere but Lagos
He will take them at night and dump them in Oyo state

3 Likes

When El Rufai did in it Abuja people said all sorts of things against him but now everybody loves Abuja, so it's only normal for people to rain abuses on Fashola for doing the right thing. I only hope care homes will be set up for the destitutes.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by victorD3: 12:50pm On May 17, 2013
You make stupid policies that creates destitute and beggars just to deport/arrest them smh
Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 12:52pm On May 17, 2013
Pipsland78:
When El Rufai did in it Abuja people said all sorts of things against him but now everybody loves Abuja, so it's only normal for people to rain abuses on Fashola for doing the right thing. I only hope care homes will be set up for the destitutes.

People were deported from Abuja
Please when?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by garnetty(m): 12:52pm On May 17, 2013
I think this is a right step in the right direction. Kudos to the Lagos State Government. The rate at which these destitutes are flocking around Lagos is quite alarming. Major roads and pedestrian bridges have become their places of abode not minding their safety and that of other Lagosians. Typical hotspots are Ketu and Mile 12 environs. These persons of Northern origin have practically turned these place to eyesore and even engage in show of dominance in the area against the natural inhabitants. It is high time drastic measures are put in place to check their excesses or better still rid them totally from Lagos if rehabilitation is not an option.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 12:53pm On May 17, 2013
omo i make frontpage. cant believe.....
Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Akshow: 12:53pm On May 17, 2013
toby09: instead of jailing these beggars, they can as well be rehabilitated.
and it is lagos state's duty to rehab beggars From other states abi? Waka pass before i vex give you one dirty slap

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 17, 2013
Burger01: EKO O NI BAJE!!!!

Haters go jump from 3rd mainland bridge.

wink

grin grin grin grin grin grin

You're a pain in the ar.se and one of my nemesis on this darn forum.

But this cracked me up!! grin

A citizen of Federal Republic of Lagos!!! cool tongue
Re: Lagos Jails 120 Beggars, Deport 1,708 Others To Their States by dridowu: 12:54pm On May 17, 2013
100% in support

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obaseki Swears In Osarodion Ogie As SSG, Edo State (Photos) / $4.9 Billion Fresh Loans: NW And SW Zones Get Highest Project Allocations / The First Clueless Statement Of Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.