Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,362 members, 7,808,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

[google I/O] Google Introduces Native Client, Add C And C++ Code Web Apps - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [google I/O] Google Introduces Native Client, Add C And C++ Code Web Apps (1111 Views)

Google I/O 2015 / Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

[google I/O] Google Introduces Native Client, Add C And C++ Code Web Apps by lordZOUGA(m): 7:52pm On May 17, 2013
I saw this on techcrunch.com and I was like wow.
Google Introduces Portable Native Client, Makes It
Easier For Developers To Add C And C++ Code To Their
Web Apps

Native Client – a technology that allows developers to
run native compiled C and C++ code as part of their
web apps – has long been a part of Google Chrome.
Even though other browser vendors haven’t adopted it
yet, Google is clearly putting quite a few resources
behind this technology and at I/O this year, it
announced Portable Native Client (or PNaCl, which
Google says we should pronounce as “pinnacle”). PNaCl
is now available in developer preview in Chrome 29 and
will slowly find its way into the stable version over the
coming months.
PNaCl, the company says, will allow developers to write
web applications “that are truly architecture-
independent.” It’s essentially an architecture-
independent version Native Client, so unlike now,
developers can write their apps and know that they will
run on ARM and X86 (both 32-bit and 64-bit). PNaCl,
the team says, uses an LLVM compiler infrastructure
with a “compile -> link -> translate” workflow that
creates an intermediary bitcode, which is then translated
locally for the specific infrastructure.
That’s some pretty complicated stuff, but essentially it
will allow developers to write high-performance apps
that offer near-native speeds for today’s existing
platforms and they can be sure that these apps will
also run on new architectures as they become available
without having to rebuild their apps (assuming, of
course, that Google will continue to support this
product).
Other browser vendors, of course, are also trying to
speed up web apps. Most recently, for example, Mozilla
announced the asm.js project, which ports C and C++
code to asm.ja – a subset of JavaScript. This scheme,
Mozilla says, allows JavaScript code to run at speeds
within 2x of native performance. That’s not quite what
Native Client can achieve, but the advantage of
Mozilla’s approach is that the JavaScript code that the
system generates will run in any browser – just slower
than on Firefox.

Source: http://m.techcrunch.com/2013/05/17/google-introduces-portable-native-client-makes-it-easier-for-developers-to-add-c-and-c-code-to-their-web-apps/
Re: [google I/O] Google Introduces Native Client, Add C And C++ Code Web Apps by WhiZTiM(m): 3:48pm On May 18, 2013
thats wonderful.
What happens to Adobe AIR? Microsoft Silverlight?
Oracle's java?

IMHO, I do not concur with native clients!! For 95% of any reasoning that I have, Its a VERY bad idea to write a largescale webApp in C. C++ is even better, but still a poor idea... In terms of what this idea is aimed at, and with respect to costs, throughput, efficiency and maintainability, Micro$oft Silverlight, Adobe AIR and Java runtime systems CURRENTLY beats this idea by a wide margin!
. . . I guess, it may be sandboxed, but it still poses more security risks than the aforementioned.

Google is really aggressive in pushing technology forward but at the same time, they are after "Big Data".

I doubt if other browsers like Mozilla, Opera, Micro$oft, etc will implement this anytime soon... Even smart phones are marginalized by this.

. . . In most scenarios, C# and Java outpaces C and C++ in webapp clients. . . . with C# being much better java in many webapp endeavors(Personal Opinion, so no apologies to java antagonist).

Let C and C++ do the big jobs in the server and anywhere intricate requirments are wanted with clear cut throughputs...

Still, i acknowledge the PNaCl is not really a bad leap.
Re: [google I/O] Google Introduces Native Client, Add C And C++ Code Web Apps by PrinceNN(m): 3:24am On May 24, 2013
Really innovative step....
Let's not forget, the Chrome OS will benefit greatly from this move...
Re: [google I/O] Google Introduces Native Client, Add C And C++ Code Web Apps by lordZOUGA(m): 8:33am On May 24, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:
Let's not forget, the Chrome OS will benefit greatly from this move...

I believe that was the main target of the project
Re: [google I/O] Google Introduces Native Client, Add C And C++ Code Web Apps by WhiZTiM(m): 11:01am On May 24, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:

Let's not forget, the Chrome OS
will benefit greatly from this
move...

lordZOUGA:
I believe that was the main target of the project

I guess due to my subjective, complete and arrogant dislike for that crazy OS, ChromeOS...(I still don't fancy it)... I didn't even remember it existed.

frankly... I never even thought of ChromeOS... before criticizing this based on the currently existing platforms...

Since this wouldnt beat existing platforms for the next few years, I am totally convinced of that it is aimed at passively sidetracking developers into Powerful ChromeOS App os on the long run... or for the sake of pride, Chromium OS..

How clever...!!
Re: [google I/O] Google Introduces Native Client, Add C And C++ Code Web Apps by PrinceNN(m): 1:52pm On May 24, 2013
WhiZTiM:

I guess due to my subjective, complete and arrogant dislike for that crazy OS, ChromeOS...(I still don't fancy it)... I didn't even remember it existed.

frankly... I never even thought of ChromeOS... before criticizing this based on the currently existing platforms...

Since this wouldnt beat existing platforms for the next few years, I am totally convinced of that it is aimed at passively sidetracking developers into Powerful ChromeOS App os on the long run... or for the sake of pride, Chromium OS..

How clever...!!

y do u hate it? it is the future tongue
Re: [google I/O] Google Introduces Native Client, Add C And C++ Code Web Apps by lordZOUGA(m): 2:52pm On May 24, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:

y do u hate it? it is the future tongue
Future? How?

If I buy a chromebook today, it will be because it is cheap and can run the ubuntu OS.
Re: [google I/O] Google Introduces Native Client, Add C And C++ Code Web Apps by PrinceNN(m): 7:57pm On May 24, 2013
lordZOUGA:
Future? How?

If I buy a chromebook today, it will be because it is cheap and can run the ubuntu OS.

I said future...not today....just give it a while
Besides..majority of internet users (including u) may already be using the chrome OS without knowing it

(1) (Reply)

How About Nigerian Versions Of This Tech Cos? / The Need For The First Nigeria Owned Billion Dollar Company In Nigeria / New Hub For Nigerian Programmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.