Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,388 members, 7,808,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (67886 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 31, 2013
TheBookWorm:

First of all, who told you that I was Igbo?

I have never mentioned my heritage.
It's none of my business where you come from. What has heritage got to do with your claim or not of being an Igbo. Sorry.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 31, 2013
TheBookWorm:

First of all, who told you that I was Igbo?

I have never mentioned my heritage.
It's none of my business where you come from. What has your being Igbo or otherwise got to do with your HERITAGE?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 3:20pm On May 31, 2013
Ola Johnson:
It's none of my business where you come from. What has your being Igbo or otherwise got to do with your HERITAGE?

I see you cannot comprehend English very well and to be frank, I will not waste my time with you anymore on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 3:26pm On May 31, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You're indeed "wise" as your people always claim, not wanting to debate but to be engaged in insults.

yet another insult. My past efforts in attempting to debate with you did not yield anything. You wanted the thread closed as you tried to chicken out. Afterwards, you refused to have an open mind as you childishly kept reposting your previous posts. You are stubbornly spineless, shamelessly loudmouthed, and ethnically biased. God help your miserable and putrid soul.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by BlackBaron: 3:38pm On May 31, 2013
This is pursuant to Achebe's claim of massacres in the South West...Waiting for ACM et al. to back or deny with facts...

The preceeding pages are also attached

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 31, 2013
TheBookWorm:

I see you cannot comprehend English very well and to be frank, I will not waste my time with you anymore on this thread.
I only gave you a piece of advice. I leave you to heed to it. On a light note now. No joke intended: If your "HERITAGE" is not Igbo, what then is it? Hausa, Ijaw, Swahili, Bantu, etc. As you have said, don't come "waste" your time on this thread, go to relationship, joke or any other section.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:18pm On May 31, 2013
Son-Of-El:

yet another insult. My past efforts in attempting to debate with you did not yield anything. You wanted the thread closed as you tried to chicken out. Afterwards, you refused to have an open mind as you childishly kept reposting your previous posts. You are stubbornly spineless, shamelessly loudmouthed, and ethnically biased. God help your miserable and putrid soul.
I'll only reply you when you get your senses. From what is coming out of your mouth, you took more than you were supposed to take. Overdose could be dangerous, you know?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 6:23pm On May 31, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I'll only reply you when you get your senses. From what is coming out of your mouth, you took more than you were supposed to take. Overdose could be dangerous, you know?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 6:34pm On May 31, 2013
BlackBaron: This is how history gets revised when no one is looking.

This is pursuant to Achebe's claim of massacres in the South West...Waiting for ACM et al. to defend this...

Are you this thick or do you have comprehension problem? Can't you see that he was reporting as a third person? Grab the catchword there "There were more and more reports". Show me where Achebe made an explicit claim of massacre in the west in his book. The problem with people like you is that you don't read books written by authors you dislike with an open mind.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 31, 2013
Son-Of-El:

just shut up if you don't know what else to say. Retarded skunk. You are the biggest mistake in nairaland. Lagos mugu. Na you give me shaq abi? Good riddance.....!
Your case has gone beyond hand. You should be quickly moved to Yaba left or Aro, Abeokuta.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by BlackBaron: 7:43pm On May 31, 2013
ACM10:

Are you this thick or do you have comprehension problem? Can't you see that he was reporting as a third person? Grab the catchword there "There were more and more reports". Show me where Achebe made an explicit claim of massacre in the west in his book. The problem with people like you is that you don't read books written by authors you dislike with an open mind.

grin grin Talk about selective amnesia.

Didnt know the norm now is to report unsubstantiated reports as facts.
This was meant to be his own 'personal'account - no?
Or is it now a 'Third person report?' Lest you know 'Words are very powerful (especially from a renowned writer like Chinua) Therefore, it is important to use them truthfully, accurately, and responsibly.' Reporting... of 'information requires both factual and accurate presentation.'

All other claims were shown with reference, yet a weighty issue as genocide with blame pointing to others is reported without fact.

You sound like an absolute idiot, they say the truth is indeed bitter. I critique a piece of his work now means I dislike Chinua or did you see me dilly dallying over the posthumous title conferred by some as the 'Father of African literature' title. Please go dig up my comments from the controversial Hall of Shame thread last year.

Now You need to pick up a school bag and return to Kindergarten.
Forking Mor.on

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 10:54pm On May 31, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Your case has gone beyond hand. You should be quickly moved to Yaba left or Aro, Abeokuta.

oh, so you responded? I thought you said you wouldn't. Spineless coward.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 10:57pm On May 31, 2013
BlackBaron:
grin grin Talk about selective amnesia.

Didnt know the norm now is to report unsubstantiated reports as facts.
This was meant to be his own 'personal'account - no?
Or is it now a 'Third person report?' Lest you know 'Words are very powerful (especially from a renowned writer like Chinua) Therefore, it is important to use them truthfully, accurately, and responsibly.' Reporting... of 'information requires both factual and accurate presentation.'

All other claims were shown with reference, yet a weighty issue as genocide with blame pointing to others is reported without fact.

You sound like an absolute idiot, they say the truth is indeed bitter. I critique a piece of his work now means I dislike Chinua or did you see me dilly dallying over the posthumous title conferred by some as the 'Father of African literature' title. Please go dig up my comments from the controversial Hall of Shame thread last year.

Now You need to pick up a school bag and return to Kindergarten.
Forking Mor.on

your bluff is first class. I hail....baron my foot.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by BlackBaron: 11:30pm On May 31, 2013
Son-Of-El:

your bluff is first class. I hail....baron my foot.
Lol.

Surely there's got to be a smarter person than these 2 infants skirting around... lipsrsealed

EDIT: Wont indulge infants.

The forces are indeed strong with this ones.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:15am On Jun 01, 2013
BlackBaron:
Lol.

Surely there's got to be a smarter person than these 2 infants skirting around... lipsrsealed

what's the word for it....? Ehen...! SCHIZOPHRENIA! eyaaa...someone pls take him to yaba left.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 01, 2013
Ola Johnson: Those that always cite Nadine Gordimer's statement, not even speech, that Chinua Achebe was the father of African literature when the latter won the Booker Prize in 2007, should ask themselves why didn't she make the same statement earlier in 1991 when she won the Nobel Prize in Literature. Is it not obvious it was a human error which we are all susceptible to as pointed out by Wole Soyinka? What was the basis of calling CA that when it was obvious that his last known book, Anthills Of The Savannah (1989), was published two years before Nadine Gordimer won the Nobel Prize in 1991? He later published There Was A Country in 2012, less than a year before he died.

Could it be that Nadine Gordimer was trying to compensate him because she knew CA would never win it. While the reason why a winner of the Prize is made public, the reason why other nominees lose is not. Gordimer, and by extension, Wole Soyinka, being past winners and possibly, possessing the power to nominate, probably knew why CA could not win it even more than twenty years before his death. It could be a thing which past winners keep secret to themselves. Of all his books only three are translated in Swedish. The number of his books which includes five novels, one list of short stories, one poetry and some children's book, could have also had an adverse effect on him not winning the Nobel Prize.

SINCE NOBODY HAS BEEN ABLE TO CHALLENGE THIS, I WILL TAKE IT THAT WE HAVE REACHED A DENOUEMENT WITH MY STAND. THANK YOU.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 3:21pm On Jun 01, 2013
[quote author=Ola Johnson][/quote]

So why did you waste our time then? At the end of the day the words "father of modern African literature" now and forever will be bestowed upon Achebe.

And if you like you can argue with the majority of the World that uses his book as the first point of contact when it comes to African literature.

So in essence you and your points mean nothing. Which is why you are about to commit harikari over a title.

You have no stand. In the west everyone reads Achebe deal with it son. Soyinka's not crying about it why should you?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jun 01, 2013
Crayola1:

So why did you waste our time then? At the end of the day the words "father of modern African literature" now and forever will be bestowed upon Achebe.

And if you like you can argue with the majority of the World that uses his book as the first point of contact when it comes to African literature.

So in essence you and your points mean nothing. Which is why you are about to commit harikari over a title.

You have no stand. In the west everyone reads Achebe deal with it son. Soyinka's not crying about it why should you?
How does this correlate with my comment you are quoting? Right, you may have misunderstood the WS' interview, it shouldn't be the same with mine.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by EASTSIDAZ: 3:53pm On Jun 01, 2013
Crayola1:

Achebe remains the father of modern African literature. Nothing can change, not even the unheard and unread WS who graduated with 3rd class.

The world had come together and gave Achebe the highest prize as the father of modern African literature.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 01, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

Achebe remains the father of modern African literature. Nothing can change, not even the unheard and unread WS who graduated with 3rd class.

The world had come together and gave Achebe the highest prize as the father of modern African literature.
Abia.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Duru1(m): 7:33pm On Jun 01, 2013
BlackBaron: This is pursuant to Achebe's claim of massacres in the South West...Waiting for ACM et al. to back or deny with facts...

You have just displayed one of the reasons Africans will remain behind the curve of development. Please desist from approaching issues of literary subject with a narrowed mind of preconceived notion.

Were Abeokuta, Ibadan and Lagos in western region or not? Were Igbo and other easterners not killed in those cities during period in discussion in Achebe’s narratives? I guess your social decorum would have been undisturbed if Achebe had used the word – kill instead of massacre.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by BlackBaron: 10:13pm On Jun 01, 2013
Duru1:
You have just displayed one of the reasons Africans will remain behind the curve of development. Please desist from approaching issues of literary subject with a narrowed mind of preconceived notion.

Raising questions to a book...is 'one of the reason Africans will remain behind the curves of development' according to you abi.
I'll act like you made a shed load of sense there.

Duru1:
Were Abeokuta, Ibadan and Lagos in western region or not? Were Igbo and other easterners not killed in those cities during period in discussion in Achebe’s narratives? I guess your social decorum would have been undisturbed if Achebe had used the word – kill instead of massacre.
I wouldn't ask anyone to defend the claim if I have heard of it before...the onus is on you to show or prove to me people were unlawfully massacred (or killed) before the civil war and I'll be a believer and even apologise.
If not then, that would mean Achebe lied.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by vanbonattel: 10:27pm On Jun 01, 2013
Honestly, I cannot understand why people are still arguing on this thread.

The fact still remains that Chinua Achebe spoke like a man, and the world stood up and gave him an ovation that is still reverbrating in the four corners of this world. Never before has an African been so honoured, never before had white skinned intelligentia stood so still to understand the African continent like they are doing now. Achebe is a hero, he fought like a man, cleared the whole battlefield without shooting a single bullet. Achebe ia a warrior!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Duru1(m): 10:37pm On Jun 01, 2013
BlackBaron:

Raising questions to a book...is 'one of the reason Africans will remain behind the curves of development' according to you abi.
I'll act like you made a shed load of sense there.

I wouldn't ask anyone to defend the claim if I have heard of it before...the onus is on you to show or prove to me people were unlawfully massacred (or killed) before the civil war and I'll be a believer and even apologise.
If not then, that would mean Achebe lied.

I guess some folks do not understand the reason history is declared a subject. During the period in discussion, Ndigbo and other easterners were killed in Ibadan, Abeokuta and Lagos. Even Yoruba peeps that were light in complexion had to reprove themselves as Yoruba or non-easterner to avoid being lynched.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by BlackBaron: 10:50pm On Jun 01, 2013
Duru1:
I guess some folks do not understand the reason history is declared a subject.
Stop being condescending. I dont do infantile conversations. You aint talking to one of those like for like tribalists like you either.

Duru1:
During the period in discussion, Ndigbo and other easterners were killed in Ibadan, Abeokuta and Lagos. Even Yoruba peeps that were light in complexion had to reprove themselves as Yoruba or non-easterner to avoid being lynched.
I have looked up articles, news reports or books from that period and haven't come across such. There are no hits for that either on google, not even Wiki
Can you furnish me further...?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 01, 2013
Wow grin grin
Time to unfollow the thread. grin
I hail nd salute
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by vanbonattel: 10:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
BlackBaron:
Stop being condescending. I dont do infantile conversations. You aint talking to one of those like for like tribalists like you either.

I have looked up articles, news reports or books from that period and haven't come across such.
Can you furnish me further...?

You can travel back in time, stand in Lagos in 1966 and claim your name is Chibuzor, Yoruba people will kill ya azz boy.......... you have not read enough books, keep reading.......
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by BlackBaron: 11:25pm On Jun 01, 2013
van bonattel:

You can travel back in time, stand in Lagos in 1966 and claim your name is Chibuzor, Yoruba people will kill ya azz boy.......... you have not read enough books, keep reading.......
This aint no back to the future chit Uncle. Stop being emotional, if you have read any such books kindly furnish me.

Besides heres another claim that I find spurious. On page 66 of TWAC, concerning independence - 'the igbos ... literally drove them (The British) out of Nigeria' according to Achebe.

I thought our independece was a collective effort?
Anthony Enahoro first moved the motion for independence which was rejected until Chief Remi Fani Kayode successfully pushed it through in 1958 and ultimately Tafa Balewa pushed an amended motion in 1960.

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jun 01, 2013
BlackBaron:
This aint no back to the future chit Uncle. Stop being emotional, if you have read any such books kindly furnish me.

Besides heres another claim that I find spurious. On page 66 of TWAC, concerning independence - the igbos ... literally drove them (The British) out of Nigeria according to Achebe.

I thought our independece was a collective effort?

My dear friend, I will beg you to leave the thread for one simple reason, you are not going to meet any rational person to debate with you. Achebe appears to be a god to many a contributor, so even if Achebe could not substantiate his alleged facts with evidence, these apologist will expect you to agree with such flawed reasoning, and if you disagree, you will either be called an igbophobe or some unprintable names. I have had my fair share of these tribal vermins. I will advise you not to waste your time. I know you speak fact. However , we cannot enjoy a robust debate on this issue where tribal bigots swim about. Kind regards

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by funnyx(m): 11:40pm On Jun 01, 2013
Duru1:

I guess some folks do not understand the reason history is declared a subject. During the period in discussion, Ndigbo and other easterners were killed in Ibadan, Abeokuta and Lagos. Even Yoruba peeps that were light in complexion had to reprove themselves as Yoruba or non-easterner to avoid being lynched.

Lie from the pit of hell! Some of you guys are just too desperate to play victim for cheap propaganda just like achebe did in his last book which is full of lies and misrepresentation of facts.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:09am On Jun 02, 2013
percipi1:

My dear friend, I will beg you to leave the thread for one simple reason, you are not going to meet any rational person to debate with you. Achebe appears to be a god to many a contributor, so even if Achebe could not substantiate his alleged facts with evidence, these apologist will expect you to agree with such flawed reasoning, and if you disagree, you will either be called an igbophobe or some unprintable names. I have had my fair share of these tribal vermins. I will advise you not to waste your time. I know you speak fact. However , we cannot enjoy a robust debate on this issue where tribal bigots swim about. Kind regards

you might as well dissappear. You and your demigod awo are the real disease in the multicultural nature of nigeria. There were many atrocities commited that were not printed, only the victims could speak of it. It may have been an isolated incident but it happened. Achebe is celebrated all over the world as a moral and authoritative voice, so eat poo okay? Genocide lovers. Devil's advocates.

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (Reply)

Troops Demolish Boko Haram Guard Post In Sambisa, Kill Insurgents [PHO / “He’s Not My Son” – Tinubu Reacts To Osinbajo’s 2023 Declaration / Before And After Photos Of Adamawa Suicide Bomber (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.