Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,327 members, 7,808,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (67885 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:17am On Jun 02, 2013
funnyx:

Lie from the pit of hell! Some of you guys are just too desperate to play victim for cheap propaganda just like achebe did in his last book which is full of lies and misrepresentation of facts.

another awo worshipper in disguise.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:21am On Jun 02, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Abia.

lagos mugu, how does abia affect you?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:12am On Jun 02, 2013
Son-Of-El:

lagos mugu, how does abia affect you?
It is unfortunate you are Igbo (or probably follow them) yet you don't know "abia" is. Ask them.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:21am On Jun 02, 2013
I desire as ever that Odia Ofeimun, who believes Chinua Achebe lied in his last book, writes a novel to be titled "The Novelist Lied"; just as he did when he wrote his poem, "The Poet Lied" when he felt a fellow poet, J. P. Clark lied. Though he wrote an article, "The Forgotten Documents of the Nigerian Civil War", where he exposed lies, we need lies to be exposed.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by funnyx(m): 6:34am On Jun 02, 2013
Son-Of-El:

another awo worshipper in disguise.

And you an achebe worshper undecided
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:05am On Jun 02, 2013
funnyx:

lol. What is your proof?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:07am On Jun 02, 2013
Ola Johnson: I desire as ever that Odia Ofeimun, who believes Chinua Achebe lied in his last book, writes a novel to be titled "The Novelist Lied"; just as he did when he wrote his poem, "The Poet Lied" when he felt a fellow poet, J. P. Clark lied. Though he wrote an article, "The Forgotten Documents of the Nigerian Civil War", where he exposed lies, we need lies to be exposed.

why wish and wait? Write your own.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jun 02, 2013
funnyx:

Honestly, I ask that you and Ola Johnson ignore this guy called son-of-el. If you don't stop to exchange words with a mad man, reasonable people will start to question your sanity. Allow him to enjoy his self delusion. It is his fundamental right to be stupid. Don't associate with people like him. He's probably an Igbo outcast{ osu} trying desperately to be acceptable to the freeborn Igbo

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by EASTSIDAZ: 3:24pm On Jun 02, 2013
Achebe remains the father of modern African literature. He is celebrated as such all over the world. I think soyika is suffering from complex, he should deal with it.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 03, 2013
"I realize, reminiscing about these events, that it is little wonder I decided to become a storyteller." - Chinua Achebe. There Was A Country (p9).

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:46pm On Jun 04, 2013
percipi1:

Honestly, I ask that you and Ola Johnson ignore this guy called son-of-el. If you don't stop to exchange words with a mad man, reasonable people will start to question your sanity. Allow him to enjoy his self delusion. It is his fundamental right to be stupid. Don't associate with people like him. He's probably an Igbo outcast{ osu} trying desperately to be acceptable to the freeborn Igbo

You really wish i were. I don't blame your damned soul for trying to chicken out with the excuse of labelling me insane. I dont need to prove my igboness to spineless loudmouthed worms like you. Good riddance....loser.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:57pm On Jun 04, 2013
Ola Johnson: "I realize, reminiscing about these events, that it is little wonder I decided to become a storyteller." - Chinua Achebe. There Was A Country (p9).

Mugu, and your point is.....?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Ribaman(m): 5:13pm On Jun 04, 2013
percipi1:

You still use language such as this, in this day and age?
The anonymity afforded us, on Nairaland, by Seun is both a blessing and a curse. I for like Sabi some people here, only so that I can avoid them on the street,

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 04, 2013
percipi1:

There is this saying that he who has not seen the Amazon shout at the top of his voice that River Niger is the biggest river in the world. If you have read Peter Abraham's book ' Mine boy' published in 1946, and 'Tell Freedom' 1954, then you will understand that Achebe only introduced the world to the impact of civilization on a tribal clan whereas Peter Abraham introduced the world to the impact of Apartheid in Africa . Achebe's work was predominantly on Igbos and to look at the effect of colonization on Africa through the perspective of a tribal group that had no system of government is a great insult to organized societies that have been existing in Africa from time immemorial.

Achebe did not, therefore, introduce the world to Africa. He only introduced the world to the Igbos. It will be nice, however, to call him “FATHER OF LITERATURE WRITTEN IN ENGLISH BY THE IGBOS” of Eastern Nigeria. I will accept that. But if we want to award the title, father of modern African literature to any writer, Peter Abraham deserved it because he was the first to introduce the world to Africa in the real sense

Shut up! Achebe introduced igbo to d world and not the world to igbos.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jun 04, 2013
percipi1:

There is this saying that he who has not seen the Amazon shout at the top of his voice that River Niger is the biggest river in the world. If you have read Peter Abraham's book ' Mine boy' published in 1946, and 'Tell Freedom' 1954, then you will understand that Achebe only introduced the world to the impact of civilization on a tribal clan whereas Peter Abraham introduced the world to the impact of Apartheid in Africa . Achebe's work was predominantly on Igbos and to look at the effect of colonization on Africa through the perspective of a tribal group that had no system of government is a great insult to organized societies that have been existing in Africa from time immemorial.

Achebe did not, therefore, introduce the world to Africa. He only introduced the world to the Igbos. It will be nice, however, to call him “FATHER OF LITERATURE WRITTEN IN ENGLISH BY THE IGBOS” of Eastern Nigeria. I will accept that. But if we want to award the title, father of modern African literature to any writer, Peter Abraham deserved it because he was the first to introduce the world to Africa in the real sense

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 5:57pm On Jun 04, 2013
He's mad that most folk use Soyinka's books to prop up a shaky table. Don't mind him.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 04, 2013
Son-Of-El:

Mugu, and your point is.....?
O nna gi ki na kpo, onye muru gi.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jun 04, 2013
Does Monkey Go to School?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Ribaman(m): 7:38pm On Jun 04, 2013
Ola Johnson: Does Monkey Go to School?

Yes, If you really want to know the answer.
By the way, given the amount of time you have invested in denouncing Achebe, I expect you to know that he never attended DMGS (Dennis Memorial Grammar School). Achebe attended GC Umuahia.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jun 04, 2013
Riba_man:

By the way, given the amount of time you have invested in denouncing Achebe, I expect you to know that he never attended DMGS (Dennis Memorial Grammar School). Achebe attended GC Umuahia.
Who says CA attended DMGS? That is how you fail; you don't understand a question before you start answering it. The farther you go 'answering' it, the worse your score. By the way, I should be the person telling you the schools CA attended. After his entrance examination in St. Michael's School, Aba in 1944, he was offered admission to Dennis Memorial Grammar School, Onitsh and Government College, Umuahia. He chose the latter.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 04, 2013
Riba_man:

Maybe you should, as you want us to believe you're intelligent, tell us, especially the "Jews" the difference between Dennis Memorial Grammar School and Does Monkey Go to School?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 05, 2013
Crayola1: He's mad that most folk use Soyinka's books to prop up a shaky table. Don't mind him.

*Falls from bed* Rotfl

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by vanbonattel: 4:25pm On Jun 05, 2013
Crayola1: He's mad that most folk use Soyinka's books to prop up a shaky table. Don't mind him.

Upper cut! classic!

I never read his works, they are very unpopular.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jun 05, 2013
Ola Johnson: Does Monkey Go to School?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Ribaman(m): 4:04am On Jun 06, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Maybe you should, as you want us to believe you're intelligent, tell us, especially the "Jews" the difference between Dennis Memorial Grammar School and Does Monkey Go to School?

Bros, this matter dey vex you too much. Cool down, abeg! My quip was a joke, in reaction to your play on DMGS.. Looks like you missed the whole point of the quip!
Abi, you be the progeny of Awolowo, or Soyinka in hiding.
No amount of insults can obliterate what/who Achebe means to the larger society! The man's writing has showed us the depths of his character and person, yours is also displaying to us the depth of your character and person.

Lastly, no fear! I was not keen on showing you how intelligent I am.. After all, Seun has not instituted a test of one's IQ as a prerequisite for joining Nairaland. If he did, a lot of persons wouldn't qualify to be here! Shi ke Na
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Vocaliser: 3:30pm On Jun 18, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Why don't you return to school, improve your grammar, and stand on your own dignity instead of using Achebe as your ethnic crutch?
Mr. Lecturer, the right expression there is IMPROVE ON YOUR WRITING SKILLS OR Grammar.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 21, 2013
ngozievergreen:

What's the difference? At least you agreed that he did the introduction.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (Reply)

Troops Demolish Boko Haram Guard Post In Sambisa, Kill Insurgents [PHO / “He’s Not My Son” – Tinubu Reacts To Osinbajo’s 2023 Declaration / Nigeria's 36 States Ranked In Order Of Land Mass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.