Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,575 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? (15839 Views)

Poll: Should wives have to submit and obey?

Yes: 79% (39 votes)
No: 20% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / Husbands Who Demand Their Wives Submit Their Salaries To Them / Ephesians 5:22: Wives, Submit To Your Husbands As To The Lord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Go Down)

Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by boyalinco: 2:32pm On Jan 24, 2007
@admin "why do u pay attention to the opinions of jesus and apostle paul that were never married?"
Genesis3:21 ;unto adam also and to his wife did the lord God make clothes of skin and clothed them.
why do you pay attention to the opinion of a lord that dosent exist by wearn clothes and was never known to be a good tailor? wink
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Amjiving: 7:19pm On Jan 24, 2007
@ TOH
I have read it and I think you are aactually throwing out the baby with the bath water. He made some agravating statements in one of his posts but I think the main thrust of his argument is still in line with the position that people in a loving relationship would put each other interest first. A man that loves his wife would put her interest first and a woman that loves her husband will willingly submit.

The dictionary defines submissiveness as The quality or state of willingly carrying out the wishes of others. I think that is pretty self xplanatory, it doesnt mean letting a man beat on you or force you to his wish. in fact it is just another word for love, because isnt that love? willingly carrying out the wishes of others.

Thanks for giving us a good definition.

A way to solve all this jazz? just marry somebody you love who loves you and y'all will be mutually submissive, so it's all good.
True talk

I feel that there's a lot of static over this because a lot of people go by the negative connotations that have been attached to submissiveness instead of its original meaning which was probably what paul meant when he originally wrote thsi scripture.
My feelings exactly

PS
This issue is really not that important to be taking personal shots at each other yo, It's not like whatever is said here will change the course of the world you kno.
You're too much cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:58pm On Jan 24, 2007
That is not what frank said else 3 other people besides myself wouldnt have disagreed with him and he made matters worse with his patronizing "prayer"

anyway I mostly agree with Josh and that's all.

next
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by goodguy(m): 10:52pm On Jan 24, 2007
Thank you Josh4ever9. cool
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by frankiriri(m): 4:24pm On Jan 25, 2007
@ TOH & michellin
There's now a male submission thread. Lets see your opinion on the discussion. grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-12952.96.html#msg839386
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by frankiriri(m): 4:30pm On Jan 25, 2007
@ TOH
From your agreement to the idea that mutual submission is okay, I think that our position is not too far apart. Whatever I said that agravated you, pele.
Lets kiss and make up tongue
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 25, 2007
frankiriri:

@ TOH & michellin
There's now a male submission thread. Lets see your opinion on the discussion. grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-12952.96.html#msg839386

angry angry angry angry
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by frankiriri(m): 6:37pm On Jan 25, 2007
@ michellin
smile now, grin grin grin
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 25, 2007
Ok imagine me smiling with my right hand pointed to you. the middle finger is up and the others are down! grin don't you like my smile? I think it's beautiful!
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by frankiriri(m): 10:35pm On Jan 25, 2007
@michelin
I love da smile. In fact I am smiling back. grin grin grin
Thank goodness we have kissed and made up kiss kiss
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 25, 2007
aight cheesy
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by loveth(f): 12:24pm On Jan 26, 2007
All Wife [b](MUST[/b]) submit to their Husband.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by felia(f): 4:47pm On Jan 26, 2007
[color=#990000][/color] are u guys freaky crazy are women slaves, for me women respect your husands, but if he his your boyfriend give him a hard time becos men do not worth it. That is system in united states. hell no.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jan 26, 2007
loveth:

All Wife [b](MUST[/b]) submit to their Husband.

Are you married?
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:15pm On Jan 26, 2007
seems like a zombie to me.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 26, 2007
For those women who have been submitting to their husbands, how has it benefit you? Not as a person but as the women in Africa? I will tell you.

- You have no rights in Africa
- You are not respected as your husband can decide to bring in another woman and you in the name of submission you'd still stay angry
- You are continuously battered and abuse and no one takes your defense angry
- Despite your submission you are still the one to take the blame if something goes wrong in your marriage. angry

It's totally a crap to be submissive in a misogynic society as Africa. You will never be respected for who you are. And continue the "the bible says so" attitude and see where it will lead you to. I bet that in 100 years to come you won't still have achieved anything.

AFRICA WOMEN KEEP ON SLEEPING!
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:40pm On Jan 26, 2007
depends on what kind of submission really

to be frank, I just dont like that word I guess
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jan 26, 2007
michelin89:

For those women who have been submitting to their husbands, how has it benefit you? Not as a person but as the women in Africa? I will tell you.

- You have no rights in Africa
- You are not respected as your husband can decide to bring in another woman and you in the name of submission you'd still stay angry
- You are continuously battered and abuse and no one takes your defense angry
- Despite your submission you are still the one to take the blame if something goes wrong in your marriage. angry

It's totally a crap to be submissive in a misogynic society as Africa. You will never be respected for who you are. And continue the "the bible says so" attitude and see where it will lead you to. I bet that in 100 years to come you won't still have achieved anything.

AFRICA WOMEN KEEP ON SLEEPING!

I am an African woman and find your rantings very insultive.
You cannot generalise on Africans and African women
who do you think you are?
My father is in his seventies,never saw him lay a finger on my mom and she is his only wife.
None of my uncles have more than one wife and none has divorced or remarried except for death.
And I'm sure a lot of people on this thread have the same story.

If you must say something,say what you know or be quiet.
If you're African,shame on you and your generalizing self.
If you're not,let's say we are sick of your little "we are better than you attitude"
A man who sleeps with,marries and divorces several women in his lifetime is no better than a polygamist,the only difference was the manner of approach (to having the several women).
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 26, 2007
Even the whites who imported Xtianity to Africa have learned that somethings in the bible shouldn't be taken for real, if not there is no way there can be any evolution is the society. It's annoying the men only pick what is useful to them and then quote it their women to submit them  angry and the women as brain washed as they are they take everything from their mouth.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 26, 2007
babyosisi:

I am an African woman and find your rantings very insultive.
You cannot generalise on Africans and African women
who do you think you are?
My father is in his seventies,never saw him lay a finger on my mom and she is his only wife.
None of my uncles have more than one wife and none has divorced or remarried except for death.
And I'm sure a lot of people on this thread have the same story.

If you must say something,say what you know or be quiet.
If you're African,shame on you and your generalizing self.
If you're not,let's say we are sick of your little "we are better than you attitude"
A man who sleeps with,marries and divorces several women in his lifetime is no better than a polygamist,the only difference was the manner of approach (to having the several women).

Spare me this crap either. I am African as well and I am the one ashmed of you. You may be an African woman with a good father, uncle or whatever but YOU are not all of them. I am speaking to all of them out there. You live in your happy closed world and think that that's how others are living. you are just the type that will never admit that there is something wrong. I AM FINE SO OTHERS ARE FINE. I don't care if you live in a happy home or not but I can't still deny what is going on in our continent.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 26, 2007
well,your profile says you're 17,I now understand where you're at.
In the USA you cannot vote,consent for treatment in a doctors office,sign legal papers or even enter into legal agreements that'll be binding.
I should have seen that before even responding to you.
Happy growing up child!
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:03pm On Jan 26, 2007
she's in Italy. what does the US have to do with anything
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 26, 2007
I wouldn't engage a minor in a discus.
TOH you are smarter than that.
Why are you asking an obvious question?
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 26, 2007
babyosisi:

well,your profile says you're 17,I now understand where you're at.
In the USA you cannot vote,consent for treatment in a doctors office,sign legal papers or even enter into legal agreements that'll be binding.
I should have seen that before even responding to you.
Happy growing up child!

Who can't do that? Well I am underage so it is normal I still can't stand for myself if this is what you mean. And by the way I am in Italy and my age doesn't make me blind!

I have told you I don't care of your happy life and I am ready to shout it out that Africa is a mysogynic continent where women will always have problems to develop individually!

And yes i am a happily growing child who won't take any craps from anyone!  angry
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:13pm On Jan 26, 2007
babyosisi:

That's all you had to say. Your bringing up laws in the US just didnt make any sense to me especially since she's not even in The States.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 26, 2007
TOH,I heard you say you hated the word submission.
The mistake a lot of people make is equating submission with being in some kind of   bondage    where one has no say,that is so incorrect.

I have always stated categorically that next to my profession,the other thing close to my heart is  the plight of abused women and children.

I know you and several here hold a different view biblically from some of us,that's not say those of us who choose to abide by the scriptures are brain damaged or unintelligent.

I doubt if anyone could describe me as unintelligent and I'm certainly not one to tolerate abuse from any man or advise a fellow woman to stay in an abusive relationship in the name of submission.

The Bible tells men to love their husband as Christ loves the CHurch and I know Christs love for the Church is a powerful one.
A man that abuses his wife is not one to submit to,the woman ought to flee from such man.
Submission in a Christian marriage is for orderliness,it works and should be encouraged,that's not to say the woman is a mugu in the marriage.
I hope you'll come to understand this someday.
The key is being in a relationship with a Christian man who lives by the principles of the Bible,such man is easy to submit to.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 26, 2007
babyosisi:

Ah you dey fear eh??  grin

Anyway nor vex. I have my ideas and stand for them. I am not trying to be disrespectful!  kiss
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:20pm On Jan 26, 2007
let's find a better word and maybe i'll feel better, babyosisi wink
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 26, 2007
TOH all that can be done is to add MUTUAL to it and all will be fine! But finding a different word or trying to make it less unilateral won't change reality of how, especially men, will always intend it.

I believe women have a different conotation of this word but as for the men, I think they intend it just as it shouldn't be. Altought some dey run mouth for here dey say e nor mean mumu na them go first treat the ladies as such!
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 26, 2007
For ladies only

Generally men are tough creatures to handle.
It takes a smart woman to know how to handle them.
Believe me this submission thing is to the woman's advantage overall,I don't want to give out all our secrets here but my mom advised me that a woman who submits to her man ends up being the captain of that ship,she is just letting him think he is.
and for a woman who's been married for 4 decades,she knows what she's saying and she ain't no door mat.

A man would go to any length for a woman that is submissive to him.
I challenge any married woman here to try it,you'll find out that all your nagging will be gone.
He'll be dancing to your tune.
It works,oh does it work!!!
mom is always right.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 26, 2007
i am just debating. I don't nag! cry cry
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 26, 2007
no, I don't mean you dear.
men call our debates nagging,you know how they don't talk much but we go on and on.

you shouldn't even be talking about men michelin,you have books to read

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11)

Orphanages In Nigeria. / Marital Agreement / Contract / White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.