Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,100 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

Traditional Attires - Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Attires - Culture? (711 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) / 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Attires - Culture? by oncolor1: 6:24pm On May 19, 2013
Before the White man came to Africa, most Africans had only loin cloths as clothing with the women exposing their b.reasts just as natural as we expose our faces or arms today, there was no shame involved. When the Europeans landed on our shores, most cultures adapted their clothing to what they obviously acquired from the Europeans. My point here is that most Nigerians today complain about losing our African culture when a Nigerian dresses in a certain way especially the women and they say they are imbibing western cultures especially when they wear revealing dresses with parts of their b00bs on display, forgetting that before the white man came our women actually exposed all of their b.reasts, it is in Western cultures that the women cover their b.reast.

Also, when I see people dressing up in different traditional attires and say this is their cultural attire, I wonder why we chose to identify with those attires that were non-existent before the Europeans came to our shores. If we are really interested in sticking to our native cultural dressing then it will be the loin cloths which was worn for centuries before the white man came. The current traditional clothes we are claiming are not traditional but came as a result of European influences.

My whole point here is that culture is dynamic, so whatever people are wearing today generally is the culture.

(1) (Reply)

See These Great Mbaise People You Love / Oniba Of Iba Regains Freedom / Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace---the Guardian UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.