Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More (1677 Views)

Gtbank Partners Etisalat On Retail Banking Solution / Forex Brokers In Nigeria / CBN Policy on Retail Cash Collection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by XHTML: 12:52am On May 20, 2013
Now, I created this thread sequel to a couple of misconceptions flowing around this thread - https://www.nairaland.com/1191858/forex-trade-alerts-season-13/267

I quite find it hard to believe that some of the acclaimed forex traders on here don't understand the workings of the Foreign Exchange Market, the Participants or the Brokers (and how they operate).

This is going to be a couple of long posts and I may miss out a couple of points, so feel free to ask questions or share your views.

I don't plan to go type a long lecture on Forex Trading as a whole. But I will shed on light on Individual retail traders and the brokers.

Just go to - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_exchange_market

And this - http://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/11/who-trades-forex-and-why.asp

AND get some insight on how the foreign exchange market works as a whole, the several levels of access (which in the real sense is determined by your capital) and participarts.

I will clearly state here - there is NO central Forex Exchange. I've seen several posts that seem to suggest that every market participant is trading in "one big pool". Click up the links and read it thoroughly, it explains certain things you need to know first.

I would need to type several long posts to explain everything here.

1 Like

Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by XHTML: 12:53am On May 20, 2013
Now on to the main aim of this thread - Brokers.

I'll jump straight in - Retail Foreign Exchange Traders. The category we fit in, everyone of us individual traders.

Individual Foreign Exchange trading mainly consists of brokers (ECNs) or dealers (market makers) - although these days they're all generally called brokers.

We all know the history, trading on the interbank network required a lot of capital and had transaction fees, which led to a lot companies (or bucketshops) springing up here and there, opening doors for individuals to trade forex with very low amounts (capital), easy access to credit (leverage), bonuses and all of those incentives.

However, it wasn't long before there were lots of issues and turmoil (I know a lot of you are aware of the several forex scams, cheating, companies that went belly up, etc) in the Retail Forext Market.

Now, I won't dwell on those today. I'll just explain the two main categories of forex brokers.

1. ECN Brokers: These brokers simply act as a bridge between the individual trader and the interbank network to enable them trade directly. The entry requirements are often always high but this is mainly due to the nature of the interbank network.

2. Market Makers: These account for a large majority of forex brokers online. They have low entry requirements and you can simply create a live account, throw in $100 and begin trading. However, you must understand that you are NOT trading on the interbank network - but a replicated "virtual market" created by the broker. As the creator of the market, the broker becomes the counterparty to your trade. They provide the liquidity.

The market makers also have control over prices (you do not see the real interbank market rates but only what they provide you). However, they do ensure it's similar to prices in the real forex markets.

Everything is basically virtual, you have no contact with the main market. The only contact with reality is the broker's promise to pay you any profits you may obtain from "speculating correctly".
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by XHTML: 12:55am On May 20, 2013
How it sums up for the Individual Retail Trader.

Now, let's get real here.

First and foremost, I presume by now we all know that a fairly large percentage of Foreign Exchange Transactions are speculative i.e no plans to take delivery of the currency bought or sold, all orders geared towards profiting from price fluctuations - which is what individual traders simply do.

This means, whether you're on the Main interbank market (via the ECNs) or the Replicated ones (i.e created by the market makers) it boils down to your speculations, right or wrong - no arguments about that.

However, you must understand the difference between the two brokerage models.

First, with Market Makers, your broker provides the liquidity (which is how your orders get filled), they are basically the counter party to most (if not all) transactions processed through them.

There are no two ways about it here. If you place an order, someone MUST be on the other end of it. If you profit, someone MUST be on the other end to lose. Who do you think is on the other end?

Larger Market markers though, often pair you with another client on their market who is on the opposite end of your trade. Sometimes, if there are large enough orders in similar fashion, some Market Makers could pool them together and send it as a reasonable order to their liquidity partners or in few cases to the interbank network - just to offset some risks.

Otherwise, when you win, they lose - simple as that. (what do you think happened to all those brokers that went AWOL or decline paying client funds on flimsy reasons)

Of course, the MM model is not bad at all - afterall it does help individuals with less capital trade forex, but you must understand that it creates a "Conflict of Interest". Your broker is NOT your friend here.

They don't run charity shops. Running a brokerage firm is no mean feat, there are lots of operational costs to cover - you think the spreads is what they live on? (I've even seen several brokers offering fixed spreads). This is why you hear (and experience) all the stories about price spikes, platform freezing, inability to close positions, stop-loss hunting, etc.

If you think these things are just myths you need to shake yourself back to reality.

One of the major reasons, you tend to see people rave about the ECN model is in one word "Transparency", and absolutely no Conflicts of Interests with your broker - they simply act as the bridge linking you to the main market.

Here, only your skill counts for your profits or loss, you don't have to worry about a possible "conflict of interest" with your broker.

I'm not saying every MM out there engages in shady tricks but you must understand how it all works so it guides you better when searching for a broker.

Many brokers are reputable and regulated, and do well to protect their reputation (even when taking trades against you, they won't induce tricks to make you lose) but I must tell you point blank that NO Broker (specifically Market Makers) is a saint.

As an intending trader, do an intensive research on your Broker before committing to them, ask around too (don't judge from the demo platform).
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by XHTML: 1:47am On May 20, 2013
I'll post advantages of both models and other information.
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by Nobody: 7:31am On May 20, 2013
Subscribing.
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by NonFarmPayrol: 8:38am On May 20, 2013
aboard
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by profitlift: 11:09am On May 20, 2013
Good post here. Ride on bro.
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 20, 2013
XHTML: I'll post advantages of both models and other information.
I have two questions: (1) When you go to broker A's chart, the trend, pullbacks, spikes, etc are exactly the same as broker B's chart. How do you explain this if you claim individual brokers (MM) can cause a spike to trigger your SL?

(2) Could you name 5 brokers each that are ECNs and MMs?
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by martog: 12:26am On May 23, 2013
space booked.
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by ultimateballer: 4:01am On May 23, 2013
Nice thread. As long as Money Makers forex brokership, I guarantee traderxp is best, great insights and customer support. See my signature
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by rozayx5(m): 7:19am On May 23, 2013
Pipsland78:
I have two questions: (1) When you go to broker A's chart, the trend, pullbacks, spikes, etc are exactly the same as broker B's chart. How do you explain this if you claim individual brokers (MM) can cause a spike to trigger your SL?

(2) Could you name 5 brokers each that are ECNs and MMs?
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by XHTML: 9:32am On May 23, 2013
I'll answer those two questions above. However, let me chip in something. I dug out an email I received last year sept from a "panicked" trader.

He was on Silver, 12 Sept to be precise. Notice the sharp drop in price to below 33.35? I confirmed on my end that day and told him there was no such spike - even confirmed from a couple other traders.

Most of you can shift back in time on your MT4's (simply hit "Enter" on the chart and type in the time to go to i.e DD.MM.YY, you can also type in DD.MM.YY HH:MM to jump to the exact hour and minute) and confirm.

Screenshot he took attached. (I've blanked out his account number for privacy)

Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by XHTML: 9:40am On May 23, 2013
Compare to this second shot. [Attached Below]

Now you tell me what would have happened supposing you had a stop loss in there?

Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 23, 2013
^^^Interesting.
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by gerald2(m): 7:18pm On May 23, 2013
I think that happened with Instaforex, I had that kind of case before.
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by gerald2(m): 7:35pm On May 23, 2013
(2) Could you name 5 brokers each that are ECNs and MMs? Let me contribute a little. Talking about ECN brokers, DUKASCOPY, HOTSPOTFX, FXCM, FXPRO and XEMARKETS. There are lots of other good ones!
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by profitlift: 8:01pm On May 23, 2013
XHTML: I'll answer those two questions above. However, let me chip in something. I dug out an email I received last year sept from a "panicked" trader.

He was on Silver, 12 Sept to be precise. Notice the sharp drop in price to below 33.35? I confirmed on my end that day and told him there was no such spike - even confirmed from a couple other traders.

Most of you can shift back in time on your MT4's (simply hit "Enter" on the chart and type in the time to go to i.e DD.MM.YY, you can also type in DD.MM.YY HH:MM to jump to the exact hour and minute) and confirm.

Screenshot he took attached. (I've blanked out his account number for privacy)

To support your claim, I have similar experience back in the early years. My micro account was liquidated by a single spike but fortunately I took the screenshot of the chart on 15min timeframe. Then over the weekend I was backtesting and studying my 15min timeframe startegy at that time and to my greatest surprise I couldn't locate this spike that took my account out again. After thoroughly searching and checking with other broker's chart I was convinced of feed manipulation by my broker and took it up with them. I mailed them the screenshot I took as well as the screenshot of the account statement to show them the exact time my position was closed which correlated to the time of the said spike.

Two days or so after, they got back to me appologizing and blaming the anomaly on "wrong data" from their feed source and they refunded the exact money I have left in the account prior to that last trade. I withdrew that money out and of course that was the last time I funded that brokerage. Now imagine if I had not taken the screenshot at that time, how on earth would I have been able to buttress my point and win my claim with that broker. Another saving grace was the fact that the screenshot was taken on a 15min timeframe which makes the said spike clearly visible otherwise had it been taken on a higher time frame (e.g 1hr, 4rh), it might be dificult to track down to the exact time.

The above and similar manipulations which are not visible but only to the trained eye clearly explains why one can be succeeding on a demo account but it is a different ball game entirely the moment you go live especially with the market makers and deal desk brokers. The broker in question was even a well rated broker at that time. These things happen and experince they say is the best teacher. Nowadays, I compare my chart on three different brokers and automate the taking of screenshots with EA especialy when my orders are opened and closed so I can have a reference point just in case issues arises.

Since broker gimmicks is a hot debate among traders, I don't really have the time to be convincing people about these things that happen in the forex world but just decided to present the above here seeing a good platform to do so. Quite a lot of traders only focus on trading strategies and does not bother with the kind of broker they commit their fund. Clearly the odds are in ones' favour when trading with honest brokers while it is difficult or almost impossible to succeed with the crook ones.
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by ACM10: 8:18pm On May 23, 2013
^^

An eye opener. I think I should be more vigilant from now onwards
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by martog: 12:24pm On May 24, 2013
.....very insightful!
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by kasonud(m): 11:17am On May 25, 2013
@ XHTML and profitlift thanks for d info,pls can you proceed by telling us those honest/riht broker(s)?
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by greenalwaz: 11:31pm On May 28, 2013
kasonud: @ XHTML and profitlift thanks for d info,pls can you proceed by telling us those honest/riht broker(s)?
Pls can u guys still continue ur tutorial....u're touching destinies here. Kudos 2 u all.
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by profitlift: 8:32pm On Jun 02, 2013
kasonud: @ XHTML and profitlift thanks for d info,pls can you proceed by telling us those honest/riht broker(s)?

I will rather want to advise you to go for brokers that are strogly regulated. You may also want to consider those that have good ratings across forex trading forums. Also, any broker that can provide you with their historical data since the beginning of their operation is signalling honesty and transparency.
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by teemy(m): 10:06am On Jun 06, 2013
@profitlift could you mention the name of the broker above to avoid others suffering same fate
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by XHTML: 10:08am On Jun 06, 2013
I'll be completing my post shortly. Takes a bit of effort to type lengthy posts.
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by Dipocian(m): 9:34pm On Jun 19, 2013
@XTHML....still waiting to hear more
Re: A Little Insight On Retail Forex Trading - Brokers & More by greenalwaz: 10:41pm On Aug 06, 2013
XHTML: I'll be completing my post shortly. Takes a bit of effort to type lengthy posts.
Haba oga mi y dey do lik ds u no want make we learn frm u again,pls we are waiting.........

(1) (Reply)

Importation Business / External Ceramic Wall Tiles. / Clickbank Account Probs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.