Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,438 members, 7,801,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? (15928 Views)

Examination Is A True Test Of One's Ability / Exams Is Not The True Test Of Knowledge / Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 8:48am On May 20, 2013
Culled from http://ourstoryandover..com/
Personally i don't think examination is the true test of knowledge. Why? I'm gonna give my personal experience. I hope it helps though.
WELL THESE ARE MY REASONS.
I was young then, a Junior Secondary School student, It was time for our exam, Maths exam to be precise, and this kid who sat next to me (He was a friend of mine) Didn't prepare for the exam, He told me he didn't even open his books, so time for the exam came, I told this Kid everything, I basically wrote the exam for him.

He asked me questions during the exam, I answered him, I didn't give Him any wrong answer, after the exam, our result was given to us, and i realized this Kid scored 88/100, while I scored 76/100. That score, made him the highest in class.
Now, what would a normal Human being think after seeing our scores? He would simply think that kid is smarter than me, not knowing that i thought him everything in the examination Hall.
Secondly, there is the case of examination malpractice. We've had cases where students see question papers before exam (E.X.P.O), and most of those students come out with excellent grades and at the end of the day, some of these students can't even spell their names correctly. Even in cases where expo aren't used, some teachers fail students deliberately simply because they've got a beef with the student e.t.c.

We also have cases of students having intimate relationships with teachers, which we all know, is not allowed, Now take for example, Lets say a student has sexual intercourse with a teacher, Biology Teacher, now tell me Is a student like that expected to fail the exam? That student is assured of an A+ or Minimum B.
We also have students who cram, these students cram for their exams and come out with A's and B's, but at the end of the day, they can't even answer straight forward questions. We also have cases of students who carry text books into the Examination Hall, some even copy it, on pieces of paper.

Due to these acts, I personally don't believe examination is the true test of knowledge.
OR WHAT DO YOU THINK? grin
Re: Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 8:54am On May 20, 2013
No it's not... wink
Re: Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? by sadiik45(m): 1:50pm On May 20, 2013
During my collage time i was a member of Debate-club. We treated the same motion like dis that "Examination is not a true test of one's ability" we support and we won.
Re: Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 20, 2013
sadiik45: During my collage time i was a member of Debate-club. We treated the same motion like dis that "Examination is not a true test of one's ability" we support and we won.
I also did thesame debate and won in college.. I didn't debate sha, i just gave a friend of mine points and he won grin grin
Re: Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? by ecolime(m): 5:49pm On May 20, 2013
So, how do you ascertain someone's level of knowledge without an examination?
Re: Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 20, 2013
ecolime: So, how do you ascertain someone's level of knowledge without an examination?
There are Illiterates who have done great things actually... Like harnessing the wind e.t.c cool People also cheat, bribe lecturers in exam e.t.c. And most of those students come out with straight A's.. Will you call those students smart??
Re: Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 6:59am On May 22, 2013
Toluwarni: There are Illiterates who have done great things actually... Like harnessing the wind e.t.c cool People also cheat, bribe lecturers in exam e.t.c. And most of those students come out with straight A's.. Will you call those students smart??
Good point. wink I was just about to write the same thing
Re: Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? by Myhb(m): 10:21pm On Jun 03, 2013
Exam is nt bt interviewing wil b d best,my opinion

(1) (Reply)

Covenant Varsity Produces 88 First Class Students / Ghanaian Students Attack Teachers For Not Allowing Them Cheat In WASSCE / What Was Your Nickname In School And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.