Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,359 members, 7,800,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells (16126 Views)

How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? / Brake Pads And Brake Lining Which Is More Effective? / Pictures: Failed Brake Causes Fatal Accident In Abuja (at Viewers' Discretion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 20, 2013
Nigeria invents motor part from palm kernel shells

Palm kernel shells, which an average Nigerian farmer considers as waste and ‘throws into the fire’ as fuel, may soon be an expensive commodity, as the country has successfully turned it into raw materials for brake pads, a motor part.

Director General of the Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC), Professor Peter Onwualu, made the revelation at the weekend

He said: “A young man from Obafemi Awolowo University, OAU, under our national design competition, received a grant to produce brake pad, using palm kernel shells as a raw material.

“Today, the material is now a good subpart. And the young man came up with a design and produced the material.

“We moved it to a company in Lagos that manufactures brake pads. And it produced a good brake pad from it.

“That brake pad is ready for the market. The only thing holding us is someone who can go into the business.

“If I receive a guarantee now, that someone is ready to buy one million copies, it is going to be something else. This is a joint project between the council and the automotive council.”

When our reporter asked him why industries are not buying into research products from the academia, he said the culture was changing.

He said his agency was leaving no stone unturned to make sure industries increased their enthusiasm for research products from the country.

“What we are doing,” he said, “is to make sure the industries are part of the research from the beginning. And as I told you with this example, the company in Lagos is part of this research.

“By the time we finished, it was able to produce it. So we are still discussing. It’s not like industries are not involved.”

Source

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 20, 2013
Interim technical report is available for download here: [url]http://www.rmrdctechnoexpo.com/PAPERS/Palm%20Kernel%20Shell%20in%20the%20Manufacture%20of%20Automotive%20Brake%20Pad.pdf[/url]

ABSTRACT

An interim report on the development of asbestos-free automotive brake pad using palm kernel shell (PKS) as frictional filler material is presented. This was with a view to exploiting the characteristics of the PKS, which are largely deposited as waste from palm oil production, in replacing asbestos which has been found to be carcinogenic. Two sets
of brake pads with identical ingredients but using either PKS or asbestos as base material were produced, following standard procedures employed by commercial manufacturers.

The physical, thermal, mechanical and tribological properties of the PKS-based brake pads were evaluated, compared with the values for the asbestos-based brake pads, and weighted against established recommendations of the Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON). It was observed that the properties of the PKS-based brake pad wholly satisfied the recommendations of SON. It was better than the asbestos-based brake-pad in terms of lower specific gravity; lower percentage swelling, when wet; higher heat resistance, heat dissipation and coefficient of friction. It, also, exhibited lower wear rate, but similar trend with the asbestos-based brake-pad. It was, however, characterized by lower bonding to
back-plate, hardness and shear strength; albeit, within the required standards. The PKS is therefore suitable for use as friction material in automotive brake-pads. Current investigation is on field testing and reformulation of the composite for enhanced performance.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by REMMEI(m): 1:05pm On May 20, 2013
you should have at least post a pics along with it..that's a good alternate though..we sure will get it right someday..

i wanna ask please,who invented the black soap we commonly use in Africa..mind you,google no know the answer o.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by CallmeJKLUE(m): 2:28pm On May 20, 2013
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by ebamma(m): 2:28pm On May 20, 2013
Gej is working firstly
He brought facebook into nigeria
He brought twitter into nigeria
He brought nairaland into our consciousness
He brought 2go into nigeria and lastly
this
If u don't vote for a man who did all this you are an enemy of progress
Vote for gej
Vote for progress

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by SincereBigot: 2:28pm On May 20, 2013
where is the brake pad all i see is the palm kernel

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Tunmi(f): 2:30pm On May 20, 2013
This is such good news
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by konn: 2:31pm On May 20, 2013
the minister should remove the brake pad in his vehicle and replace it with the one made with palm kernel shells to test run this will go a long way in convincing people to buy it

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Kslib(m): 2:31pm On May 20, 2013
Welcome developement,kudos to the student and everybody who supported him on this project BUt Instead of you to show us atleast one pic of the brake pad you con dey show us palm kernel abi i tell you say i wan cook banga soup..

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by wellmax(m): 2:31pm On May 20, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Cant stop laughing, Nigerians with their innovations.
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Kslib(m): 2:32pm On May 20, 2013
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Kslib(m): 2:32pm On May 20, 2013
Callme_JKLUE: SHOCKING........A must read https://www.nairaland.com/1296443/not-hiv-positive-cossy-orjiakor
This goat has been hidden...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 20, 2013
REMMEI: you should have at least post a pics along with it..that's a good alternate though..we sure will get it right someday..

i wanna ask please,who invented the black soap we commonly use in Africa..mind you,google no know the answer o.
black soap has been in existence long b4 christianity enters usa. Its like asking who invented pillows grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Kx: 2:34pm On May 20, 2013
eGuerrilla:
“If I receive a guarantee now, that someone is ready to buy one million copies, it is going to be something else. Professor Peter Onwualu"
Source

Why dont you demo the brake pad by using it in your cars and your parastatal cars for all to see the efficiency first and foremost bfore talking about guarantee for sales of 1million copies?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by supaeagles(m): 2:36pm On May 20, 2013
This is great news and I hope they have rigorously road tested this new brake pad? I no want to jam somebody else with my moto and then have to explain to them that na the fault of my new palm kernel brake pads ..... they will be thinking I have been drinking palm wine undecided

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by zolajpower: 2:39pm On May 20, 2013
AND WHERE IS THE BREAK PAD NA?
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by dbride: 2:41pm On May 20, 2013
Kx:

Why dont you demo the brake pad by using it in your cars and your parastatal cars for all to see the efficiency first and foremost bfore talking about guarantee for sales of 1million copies?

All this they will show you or tell you before you know that Research and Invention cannot be achieved and finally announced without test or demo. What a show of ignorance.
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 20, 2013
Use at your own risk.
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by DJDOLA(m): 2:44pm On May 20, 2013
ebamma: Gej is working firstly
this
Vote for gej
Vote for progress
clown

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by ZUBY77(m): 2:45pm On May 20, 2013
konn: the minister should remove the brake pad in his vehicle and replace it with the one made with palm kernel shells to test run this will go a long way in convincing people to buy it

Apparently it was manufactured for poor people while the rich people buys their own from Germany and Japan..

The name of my car is BMW. Before i buy any breakpad, i will check the base to make sure i see BMW written on it.
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by omar22(m): 2:49pm On May 20, 2013
http://www.annat-brake.com/test-equipment.html

Oh please..... what type of equipment did they use to know whether its at a satisfactory level to be used for the road...
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Krasid(m): 2:50pm On May 20, 2013
ebamma: Gej is working firstly
this
Vote for gej
Vote for progress
What is dis one saying

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by abatajjvii: 2:50pm On May 20, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by tayus: 3:00pm On May 20, 2013
Good new to the farmers and job seekers
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Ilaje44(m): 3:04pm On May 20, 2013
O ga o. These people sha. No test run and he wants to sell 1 million copies of it already. Have they tested the inflammability of the new break pads? Break friction produces a lot of heat, and Palm kernel shell being a very inflammable material, should cautiously be tested before rolling it out. Already, the rate at which vehicles catches fire in Nigeria is quite alarming, and this should not be facilitated.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 20, 2013
Am sure the young man is Igbo. You can't see such brain elsewhere. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by WizPrince1(m): 3:13pm On May 20, 2013
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by Jaideyone(m): 3:16pm On May 20, 2013
Kx:

hahaha nobody wants to be the one to try it
Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by dulphines: 3:16pm On May 20, 2013
This post has been withdrawn.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells by blackbeau1(f): 3:16pm On May 20, 2013
great work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are China Made Tyres Good? / 10 Cars That Can Easily Take You Above 320,000 Kilometers - Consumer Reports / Lexus LS+ Concept, A Model Planned For An Introduction By 2020.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.