Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) (26713 Views)

House Of Representatives Passes Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) / Breaking News: House Of Rep Passes the PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) / FG Deletes Transparency Clause From The PIB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by AZeD1(m): 1:31pm On May 21, 2013
Nice job Jarus
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by egregous: 1:37pm On May 21, 2013
Jarus: WHAT DOES PIB SEEK TO ACHIEVE?

The Bill seeks to:
• Enhance exploitation and exploration of petroleum resources in Nigeria for the benefit of Nigerians
• Optimize domestic gas supplies, especially for power generation and industrial development
• Encourage investment in Nigerian petroleum industry
KEY IMPLICATIONS/OBJECTIVES TO NOTE FROM THE ABOVE

• Gas is still in Nigeria and the potential from this source of energy lays untapped. PIB seeks to maximize this. If well explored, this will boost power supply in Nigeria

http://jarushub.com/2013/05/20/beyond-the-jargons-pib-for-dummies/

Those are some wonderful ideas, but are there any details how will it be achieved? I still feel like a dumb angry
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by osisiego: 2:16pm On May 21, 2013
I see nothing wrong with the bill. From indications it Is dracfted out of good intentions. My question now is, why are certain people from certain quaters kicking against this bill? What part of the bill is generating the controversy?
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by egregous: 2:42pm On May 21, 2013
Northern elders are not interested in the development of Nigeria, they only demanding more money for themselves, have a dream to have the money and power like Saudi sheiks.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by akiesony(m): 3:01pm On May 21, 2013
#
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 21, 2013
akiesony: Very incisive article, Jarus. You are obviously following the PIB very closely. I look at the PIB as the key that will open the oil industry to more Nigerians.
Jarus, do you have any insights as to specific biz opportunities one can begin to plan for? If the gsm boom is a taste of what to come, the smart guys are already making contacts in China.
Shoot me a mail if you can Jarus.

As a professional in the industry I have to monitor PIB, because I have to be on top of my game as a member of team to devise post-PIB strategy for my employers.

For you, if you are from Niger Delta region, especially from oil producing communities, go and float an oufit, if you don't have any already, package it and start liaising with your community chiefs and associations to get contracts. Contracts as small as packing shits of facilities workers will fetch you millions every month. And I'm not kidding.

Other employment/contract opportunities include:

- Supplying security personnel
- Being representative of your community (CLO, every oil company must have a CLO in the host community, who will be interfacing between the community and the company
-contract for supply of materials - all kinds of materials
- You can also float a company, assemble manual labourers, and with right contacts, you get contract to supply these semi-skilled personnel to the oil companies and charge your management fees

If you are well schooled, formal employment opportunities (although contracts for services pay more.

For other Nigerians not from ND region, it comes by way of employment. More indigenous operators will come into action, and the existing will expand their operations, because they now have advantage over the IOCs. Thsi will mean more jobs in the expansion process.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by Nobody: 8:09pm On May 21, 2013
Hello Jarus,
Thanks a lot. Can you please throw more light on the taxes involved? Because the PIB doesn't seem to favour the IOCs, especially those operating on deepwaters (PSC). Many of them are threaten not to invest in Nigeria if the PIB is passed in its current state.
I'm really interested in the financial responsibilities of the mega oil firms post PIB.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by nathx(m): 9:41pm On May 21, 2013
Truth be told, with all the money state govt and NDDC is getting, nothing is being done. The 10 percent going to the community, who gets it, the same government that will still steal it.
I work I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the field, companies give contracts to an indegenous contractor, he settles his community and do α very low standard job, nottin d conpany can do, the same circle continues.
Sincerely, the PIB would do nottin for the community, it will only enrich the few community leaders and madueke.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by heisenberg33: 11:09pm On May 21, 2013
@Jarus nice write up, i myself have been following the events surrounding the PIB. My question to you is, do you anticipate any form of job loss for the DPR and NNPC staff? For example if the DPR is unbundled, do you think there would be any lay-off?
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by Nobody: 6:48am On May 22, 2013
heisenberg33: @Jarus nice write up, i myself have been following the events surrounding the PIB. My question to you is, do you anticipate any form of job loss for the DPR and NNPC staff? For example if the DPR is unbundled, do you think there would be any lay-off?

Although, th govt will not want to lay off so as to be politically correct and avoid friction, I anticipate gradual and systemic (rather than massive) layoff of some guys. They can just come up with a policy like anybdoy that has spent 20 years to go, or commission a professional firm to carry out staff audit, and using that as a basis to send away redundant/incompetent employees. It may not be immediate though.

All will be hinged on efficient management of oil industry agencies which is one of the objectives of PIB.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by jpphilips(m): 10:12am On May 22, 2013
i wish PIB even understands the oil and gas industry
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by DonDraper: 10:33am On May 22, 2013
My amiable Youth Leader, I commend your efforts in breaking down the principle for dummies like me....lol. I appreciate the effort and it is laudable, as your other educative posts here and on your blog. I am pro-PIB, it is what our industry needs at this moment for us to compete globally (our National Oil Company) and to improve the lives of Nigerians (merits of post PIB era). There is a PIB report of Wood Mackenzie that I would like you to see, when I find it I will post is here. I want to use this unique opportunity to plead with our legislators to pass this life changing Bill asap.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by heisenberg33: 11:16pm On May 22, 2013
Jarus:

Although, th govt will not want to lay off so as to be politically correct and avoid friction, I anticipate gradual and systemic (rather than massive) layoff of some guys. They can just come up with a policy like anybdoy that has spent 20 years to go, or commission a professional firm to carry out staff audit, and using that as a basis to send away redundant/incompetent employees. It may not be immediate though.

All will be hinged on efficient management of oil industry agencies which is one of the objectives of PIB.

Exactly my thoughts too.....Thanks for your reply
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by jpphilips(m): 11:25pm On May 22, 2013
@ jarus

it is disheartening that you carefully outlined the rosy prospects of the PIB but fail to include any implementation framework for those anticipated roses to really turn red.
how i wish i was still in the kindergarten where we once believed that goats can fly.

you claim that the bill seek to achieve this

" • Create a conducive business
environment for petroleum
operations"

my question is how?

the PIB is clear on areas of increased taxation for producing companies which in your euphoria we expect our brothers to join that league soon.
my question is:

how does increased taxation achieve your quote above?

that phrase above is too vague to be taken seriously, tell us in clear terms how the PIB wish to achieve that quote.

you said and i quote

" Enhance exploitation and
exploration of petroleum resources in
Nigeria for the benefit of Nigerians"

this is another $¡lly and vague statement

which laws in the PIB will achieve the above??

the last time i checked, Nigerians especially the Niger deltans have been at the receiving end of pains, agony and environmental degradation precipitated by oil exploration, i have not seen any part of the PIB that addressed that or have you seen?

which agency or MDA has the PIB empowered to handle that?

i was not surprised when you carefully skipped the flaring part of the PIB, where it stated that it will encourage Zero flaring with a caveat that madueke will have the authority to issue renewable flaring permits.

how does that solve the green house issues associated with flaring? or another madueke's gimmick for creating "choppings" for her exalted office. lemme ask you, how much do you think madueke will charge through the backdoor for flaring permits?? your guess is as good as mine.

we cannot be bamboozled that the so called PIB is in the interest of Nigerians.

I have it on good authority to state here that 95% of indigenous oil and gas workers have no single insurance welfare.

we are talking about men and women who kiss their loved ones goodbye on a daily basis to face one of the riskiest activity in the history of mankind yet their ignoble employers deem it unfit to insure their lives.

again i ask, where does the PIB address that?

if an insurance policy does not mean well for Nigerians in the oil industry, i wonder what does.
in case you forgot, the Americans rated oil and gas exploration as the 8th riskiest job in the world which over the years has defined a noble welfare package for her citizens in that field.

let me ask you again, where in the PIB does the Nigerian govt. peg a living wage for oil and gas workers in lieu of their occupational hazard?

if all these are not in place, how did jarus come to the sane conclusion that the PIB addressed the interest of Nigerians?

one may argue in ignorance that my concerns above are basically the duty of the union but i stand to be corrected that neither NUPENG nor PENGASSN has a legal shot if they were to go to court in the absence of fundamental laws.

what leverage does an oil and gas employee have if he or she institutes a court action against an employer who has failed in the above regard?

let me reiterate for the umpteenth time that oil and gas operations are not like teaching, banking or other conventional jobs, it a career where faith dangles life and death before anyone who is actively involved. from the terrain,non adiabatic conditions,logistics, climate, flammability of hydrocarbons to mention a few.

for the PIB to conveniently ignore those lucid but unequivocal challenges that average Nigerians face in the oil industry is an insult to people who live through it and a reflection of the incompetence madueke is made of.

which part of the PIB addressed the use of out dated and decommissioned vessels in our oil fields?

you said again and i quote

" Optimize domestic gas supplies,
especially for power generation and
industrial development"

this part is the most laughable. how i wish you read further to appreciate madueke's ingenuity.
Madueke told Nigerians that her gas solution is a DSO from MNC's.

rightly put, madueke wants to go begging for gas from multinational companies.
no doubt the PIB outlined modalities of expansion for NGC (Nigerian gas company),
my question is this; what has Ngc achieved for over a decade of operation?

the case before the senate instituted by the delta state elders has spoken volume of the modalities of acquisition madueke has in mind for both NGC and NPDC.

who are the so called partners, financiers, jv operators of the much touted marginal fields? lemme guess, politicians? lipsrsealed.

Mr jarus, we know the real beneficiaries of the PIB the Nigerian people are far from it.

back to the issue of gas, in the last decade, SHELL our minority jv partner has been investing heavily in gas gathering projects, Chevron (another minority jv partner) has not relented because the last time i checked their EGTL project has gotten to phase 3b.

every sane mind knows that gas is the future from increasing gas prices to local demand viz power plants, madueke's PIB is still solving Nigeria's gas crises with her archaic DSO.

jarus please help me ask madueke to mention any sane country with gas deposit as much as Nigeria that is practicing her DSO model?

is it not commonsensical for madueke to come out with a gas gathering blueprint to harness our abundant gas resources like our jv partners are doing? this gas we are flaring to the tune of $2.3b annually.

the last time she begged for refineries and now gas and jarus is taking madueke serious.

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by jpphilips(m): 11:26pm On May 22, 2013
Mr jarus, madueke's DSO cannot pass for a gas model in this 21st century, even animals will find it ludicrous.

you mentioned and i quote;

" Encourage investment in Nigerian
petroleum industry"

how is the PIB encouraging investments in the pet. industry? increasing taxes i guess? jarus wake up!

lemme ask you again? who are the people that has the capital required to invest in the oil industry? civil servants or politicians?

of course, at the demise of willbros, ibori's Ascot took over, does it ring a bell?
who is minning OKORO field today? should i remind you? Rilwanu lukman perhaps Afren rings a bell.
Akpo field nko? 35% goes to Sapetro, and who is sapetro? Ty danjuma.

Mr jarus i ask you again, who is actually benefiting from this indigenization galore as enshrined by the PIB? the Nigerian people or the politicians?

while you are still thinking let me quickly take you to the ports aka free trade zones the seat of oil and gas logistics.

previous sane administrations had made all FOT's and FLT's free trade zones to reduce logistics cost for oil companies. what is obtainable today? Atiku's intel is charging companies higher than NPA is charging for clearing. has the "free" part of the FTZ not been defeated?

to crown it all, he has monopoly over all the FTZ in the country.
have you imagined paying $800 for a square meter space? that is what Atiku's Intel will charge you the day your box will sleep over in any FTZ in Nigeria.

Mr jarus, who is actually benefiting from the so called indigenization as enshrined by your PIB without any implementation frame work?

what provision of the PIB takes care of monopoly in our FTZ to encourage further investments in the oil and gas industry as enshrined by the PIB?

jarus you said and i quote;

" Create efficient and effective
regulatory agencies"

who are the regulatory agencies in the industry?

DPR? and PIB wants to un bundle it? what about scrapping it for starters?
the same DPR that doesn't know how much oil Nigeria is producing?

dept of aboki resources that cant even regulate themselves let alone other companies?

what training as per level and qualification does the PIB recommend for the so called unbundled DPR? i guess none, same ol same ol.
change their name, retain their incompetence.

madueke wadoo!!

Mr jarus the PIB is an official document that will hand over foreign assets to our politicians. there is absolutely nothing there for you.

they will promise you jobs but what you will get in the end is under employment, suffering and agony.

i could remember those days when a foreign catering company west end was still active in offshore locations, their workers were paid very well compare it with the indigenous company that has taken over
SJ Abed, a politician has the temerity to be paying an offshore staff 25k with hard labor.

an offshore catering job is the hardest job i cant wish my enemy, because of the 24hrs nature of their operation, those guys dont sleep.

i feel so sorry for them, 25k for all the risks. that is wickedness thanks
to madueke and her indigenisation policy without implementation frame work.

A black man is truly a black mind

human beings are enslaved and jarus calls it employment? i dey laugh!!

1 Like

Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by egregous: 1:06am On May 23, 2013
jp philips:

i quote

industrial development"

this part is the most laughable. how i wish you read further to appreciate madueke's ingenuity.

no doubt the PIB outlined modalities of expansion for NGC (Nigerian gas company),

Mr jarus, we know the real beneficiaries of the PIB the Nigerian people are far from it.

back to the issue of gas, in the last decade, SHELL our minority jv partner has been investing heavily in gas gathering projects, Chevron (another minority jv partner) has not relented because the last time i checked their EGTL project has a gotten to phase 3b.

every sane mind knows that gas is the future from increasing gas prices to local demand viz power plants, madueke's PIB is still solving Nigeria's gas crises with her archaic DSO.

jarus please help me ask madueke to mention any sane country with gas deposit as much as Nigeria that is practicing her DSO model?

I recommend article about DSO written by Theresa Okenabirhie in 2010. It's very prophetic. undecided
[url]http://www.google.pl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dundee.ac.uk%2Fcepmlp%2Fgateway%2Ffiles.php%3Ffile%3Dcepmlp_car13_65_266090310.pdf&ei=gl2dUdrfCYrf4QTs8IGoAg&usg=AFQjCNEQQuJX5PUogQZZXV4xXjpePjWytQ&bvm=bv.46751780,d.bGE[/url]
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by PapaBrowne(m): 3:20am On May 23, 2013
@Jarus
Wonderful Job. Most of us have been hearing PIB, PIB, PIB without understanding the content and the implication for both the industry and the general economy. Wonderful break down. AAA+++!!!

Questions regarding Host Communities Fund.
1)What happens to 10% of the profit emanating from offshore wells. Which community gets that.
2)How do you determine community ownership? Is it by the location of a well or by the coverage area of the well?

Is there a Negative feeling amongst Nigerians working with multinationals(like yourself and your colleagues) or is it just the Ogas at the top in The Hague and Houston that are apprehensive of the bill? Any fears that the bill could cause layoffs in the industry?

And one last question on the Host Community Fund, you said you also hold that too much goes to the region. Can you narrate why you feel so.
I feel like the host community fund is a much better tool than both 13% derivation and all the nonsense NDDC and Niger Delta Ministry that already exist.
I personally would recommend the scrapping of both agencies maybe to be replaced by an agency that would regulate the host communities fund. Communities come up with projects they would use their fund for in say 2014, monies are released in tranches based on the targets presented by the regulatory body. Again, this is Nigeria, corruption would kill any such process.
I would really like to understand why people are not cool with the Host communities fund.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by Nobody: 8:48am On May 23, 2013
nathx: Truth be told, with all the money state govt and NDDC is getting, nothing is being done. The 10 percent going to the community, who gets it, the same government that will still steal it.
I work I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the field, companies give contracts to an indegenous contractor, he settles his community and do α very low standard job, nottin d conpany can do, the same circle continues.
Sincerely, the PIB would do nottin for the community, it will only enrich the few community leaders and madueke.
You are correct, unfortunately.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by Nobody: 8:59am On May 23, 2013
jp philips: @ jarus

it is disheartening that you carefully outlined the rosy prospects of the PIB but fail to include any implementation framework for those anticipated roses to really turn red.
how i wish i was still in the kindergerten where we once believed that goats can fly.

" • Create a conducive business
environment for petroleum
operations"

my question is how

the PIB is clear on areas of increased taxation for producing companies which in your euphoria we expect our brothers to join that league soon.
my question is:

that phrase above is too vague to be taken seriously, tell us in clear terms how the PIB wish to achieve that quote.

you said and i quote

" Enhance exploitation and
exploration of petroleum resources in
Nigeria for the benefit of Nigerians"

the last time i checked, Nigerians especially the Niger daltans have been at the receiving end of pains, agony and environmental degradation precipitated by oil exploration, i have not seen any part of the PIB that adressed that or have you seen?

i was not suprised when you carefully skipped the flaring part of the PIB, where it stated that it will encourage Zero flaring with a caveat that madueke will have the authority to issue renewable flaring permits.

how does that solve the green house issues associated with flaring? or another madueke's gimmick for creating "choppings" for her exalted office. lemme ask you, how much do you think madueke will charge through the backdoor for flaring permits?? your guess is as good as mine.

I have it on good authority to state here that 95% of indigenous oil and gas workers have no single insurance welfare.

we are talking about men and women who kiss their loved ones goodbye on a daily basis to face one of the riskiest activity in the history of mankind yet their ignoble employers deem it unfit to insure their lives.

if an insurance policy does not mean well for Nigerians in the oil industry, i wonder what does.
in case you forgot, the Americans rated oil and gas exploration as the 8th riskiest job in the world which over the years has defined a noble welfare package for her citizens in that field.

let me ask you again, where in the PIB does the Nigerian govt. peg a living wage for oil and gas workers in lieu of their occupational hazard?

if all these are not in place, how did jarus come to the sane conclusion that the PIB addressed the interest of Nigerians?

one may argue in ignorance that my concerns above are basically the duty of the union but i stand to be corrected that neither NUPENG nor PENGASSN has a legal shot if they were to go to court in the absence of fundamental laws.

what leaverage does an oil and gas employee have if he or she institutes a court action against an employer who has failed in the above regard?

let me reiterate for the upteenth time that oil and gas operations are not like teaching, banking or other conventional jobs, it a career where faith dangles life and death before anyone who is actively involved. from the terrain,non adiabatic conditions,logistics, climate, flammability of hydrocarbons to mention a few.

for the PIB to conviniently ignore those lucid but unequivocal challenges that average Nigerians face in the oil industry is an insult to people who live through it and a reflection of the incompetence madueke is made of.

industrial development"

the case before the senate instituted by the delta state elders has spoken volume of the modalities of acquisition madueke had in mind for both NGC and NPDC.

who are the so called partners, financiers, jv operators of the much touted marginal fields? lemme guess, politicians? lips sealed.

back to the issue of gas, in the last decade, SHELL our minority jv partner has been investing heavily in gas gathering projects, Chevron (another minority jv partner) has not relented because the last time i checked their EGTL project has a gotten to phase 3b.

is it not commonsensical for madueke to come out with a gas gathering blueprint to harness our abundant gas resources like our jv partners are doing? this gas we are flaring to the tune of $2.3b annually.

the last time she begged for refineries and now gas and jarus is taking madueke serious.

First, while I believe PIB has prospects of achieving positive results for Nigeria, I have not claimed to hold brief for the Madueke or FG, or declare it a cure-all pill for the industry. In fact, if I have my way, there are areas I wish are amended before passing into law.

Second, I just did a summary of the PIB, and highlighted areas I think are highpoints. I however agree with you that I should have highlighted areas I believe are lowpoints too.

As an finance person in the industry, my primary area of interest are the fiscal terms, which of course will also be affected by the new structure. As an economist too, I'm interested in what it will bring to the macro-economy at large - though secondary (that's not my job, my job is: what will it bring to my company?)

I also realize you are having a dig at Madueke. I'm also not her fan, but you know this bill pre-dated her tenure (although it has undergone watering), and I can see she is struggling to ensure the bill is passed soon,if not for anything, so she can have it in records that PIB was passed during her tenure.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by Nobody: 9:24am On May 23, 2013
I'm also disappointed in the flaring permit part. Probably, I should have added a section as ' Downside of PIB' listing the loopholes in the PIB as it is now.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by Nobody: 10:16am On May 23, 2013
jp philips: Mr jarus, madueke's DSO cannot pass for a gas model in this 21st century, even animals will find it ludicrous.

you mentioned and i quote;

" Encourage investment in Nigerian
petroleum industry"

how is the PIB encouraging investments in the pet. industry? increasing taxes i guess? jarus wake up!

lemme ask you again? who are the people that has the capital required to invest in the oil industry? civil servants or politicians?

of course, at the demise of willbros, ibori's Ascot took over, does it ring a bell?
who is minning OKORO field today? should i remind you? Rilwanu lukman perhaps Afren rings a bell.
Akpo field nko? 35% goes to Sapetro, and who is sapetro? Ty danjuma.

Mr jarus i ask you again, who is actually benefiting from this indigenization galore as enshrined by the PIB? the Nigerian people or the politicians?

while you are still thinking let me quickly take you to the ports aka free trade zones the seat of oil and gas logistics.

previous sane administrations had made all FOT's and FLT's free trade zones to reduce logistics cost for oil companies. what is obtainable today? Atiku's intel is charging companies higher than NPA is charging for clearing. has the "free" part of the FTZ not been defeated?

to crown it all, he has monopoly over all the FTZ in the country.
have you imagined paying $800 for a square meter space? that is what Atiku's Intel will charge you the day you will sleep over in any FTZ in Nigeria.

Mr jarus, who is actually benefiting from the so called indigenization as enshrined by your PIB without any implementation frame work?

what provision of the PIB takes care of monopoly in our FTZ to encourage further investments in the oil and gas industry as enshrined by the PIB?

jarus you said and i quote;

" Create efficient and effective
regulatory agencies"

who are the regulatory agencies in the industry?

DPR? and PIB wants to unbundle it? what about scrapping it for starters?
the same DPR that doesnt know how much oil Nigeria is producing?

dept of aboki resources that cant even regulate themselves let alone other companies?

what training as per level and qualification does the PIB recommend for the so called unbundled DPR? i guess none, same ol same ol.
change their name, retain their incompetence.

madueke wadoo!!

Mr jarus the PIB is an official document that will hand over foreign assets to our politicians. there is absolutely nothing there for you.

they will promise you jobs but what you will get in the end is under employment, suffering and agony.

i could remember those days when a foreign catering company west end was still active in offshore locations, their workers were paid very well compare it with the indigenous company that has taken over
SJ Abed, a politician has the temerity to be paying an offshore staff 25k with hard labor.

an offshore catering job is the hardest job i cant wish my enemy, because of the 24hrs nature of their operation, those guys dont sleep.

i feel so sorry for them, 25k for all the risks. that is wickedness thanks
to madueke and her indigenisation policy without implementation frame work.

A blackman is truly a black mind

human beings are enslaved and jarus calls it employment? i dey laugh!!

LOL. Bro, u vex o. Why not contest for PENGASSAN presidency as I can see your activist bend.

I will not go into arguments that will involve naming names, as the names you are mentioning up there are familiar ones. I have my job to protect.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by larrykingson: 2:23pm On May 23, 2013
undecidedokaaa na testing machineokaaa na testing machineokaaa na testing machine
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by jpphilips(m): 3:15pm On May 23, 2013
Jarus:

LOL. Bro, u vex o. Why not contest for PENGASSAN presidency as I can see your activist bend.

I will not go into arguments that will involve naming names, as the names you are mentioning up there are familiar ones. I have my job to protect.

lol, very well understood and undeniably so where your loyalty lies.

PENGASSAN? gimme a break! i highlighted the biggest challenge of PENGASSAN up there, sabotaging efforts of the employer with their "down tool" syndrome in the name of unionism is not healthy for both the employer and employee.

the moment you cough hard in the union, you are thrown out the next second, I may give pengassan a shot when PENGASSAN has a legal voice, when their goals and aspiration can be subjected through the clinical prognosis of the judicial system, how can that materialize when the PIB has failed the very same people it was meant to protect.

God will save this nation from the clutches of Terrorists piloting its affairs.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 23, 2013
jp philips: @ jarus

how i wish i was still in the kindergarten where we once believed that goats can fly.

my question is how?

my question is:

you said and i quote

the last time i checked, Nigerians especially the Niger deltans have been at the receiving end of pains, agony and environmental degradation precipitated by oil exploration, i have not seen any part of the PIB that addressed that or have you seen?

i was not surprised when you carefully skipped the flaring part of the PIB, where it stated that it will encourage Zero flaring with a caveat that madueke will have the authority to issue renewable flaring permits.

what leverage does an oil and gas employee have if he or she institutes a court action against an employer who has failed in the above regard?

let me reiterate for the umpteenth time that oil and gas operations are not like teaching, banking or other conventional jobs, it a career where faith dangles life and death before anyone who is actively involved. from the terrain,non adiabatic conditions,logistics, climate, flammability of hydrocarbons to mention a few.

for the PIB to conveniently ignore those lucid but unequivocal challenges that average Nigerians face in the oil industry is an insult to people who live through it and a reflection of the incompetence madueke is made of.

the case before the senate instituted by the delta state elders has spoken volume of the modalities of acquisition madueke has in mind for both NGC and NPDC.

who are the so called partners, financiers, jv operators of the much touted marginal fields? lemme guess, politicians? lipsrsealed.

back to the issue of gas, in the last decade, SHELL our minority jv partner has been investing heavily in gas gathering projects, Chevron (another minority jv partner) has not relented because the last time i checked their EGTL project has gotten to phase 3b.

Jarus won't have answers to all these, I bet you! He carefully evaded my query on increased taxation and threats by IOCs not to invest.
I just wanna say something - even the gas that is being taunted to be the future of Nigerian economy, is at its lowest price in the history of Natural gas industry. There is a glut of natural gas in the US market - supply outweighs demand due to improved technology. Companies like ExxonMobil are the most hit as a result of the glut. US is now thinking of exporting natural gas as LNG - a competitor to NLNG. So I'm really bothered whether the PIB has addressed. Oil is being found everywhere in Africa. America is moving towards self sufficiency in oil production and even wants to be a net exporter i.e. to be our competitor.
Nigeria needs to think ahead and fashion a progressive approach towards addressing emerging oil and gas market reality, not making draconian laws that are not practicable.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by UyiIredia(m): 7:47pm On May 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
A fool wants the ANSWERS but does not want to see the FORMULA. Guy, it is the FORMULA that produces the ANSWERS and without using the FORMULA you'll not arrive at the ANSWERS.

The PIB will provide jobs, jobs and more jobs. The PIB will also increase govt revenue which can be used to provide more good roads, better health services,etc. So guy, look beyond your nose

Wrong. The PIB is a bill not an employer and therefore can't provide jobs. It is effective implementation of the PIB that'll bring jobs. BTW, what are the reasons for the favoring of subsidy removal and how does the PIB cover the local refinement of oil ?
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by jpphilips(m): 4:50pm On May 24, 2013
x-fire:

Jarus won't have answers to all these, I bet you! He carefully evaded my query on increased taxation and threats by IOCs not to invest.
I just wanna say something - even the gas that is being taunted to be the future of Nigerian economy, is at its lowest price in the history of Natural gas industry. There is a glut of natural gas in the US market - supply outweighs demand due to improved technology. Companies like ExxonMobil are the most hit as a result of the glut. US is now thinking of exporting natural gas as LNG - a competitor to NLNG. So I'm really bothered whether the PIB has addressed. Oil is being found everywhere in Africa. America is moving towards self sufficiency in oil production and even wants to be a net exporter i.e. to be our competitor.
Nigeria needs to think ahead and fashion a progressive approach towards addressing emerging oil and gas market reality, not making draconian laws that are not practicable.

lol, thou shalt not kill the messenger, jarus did not design the PIB.
I agree a lot with you, in a clime of intense competition and sundry issues, Madam big head Madueke is happy to present a gas DSO to the Nigerian people.

you can imagine how backward she thinks.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by jpphilips(m): 6:08pm On May 24, 2013
PapaBrowne: @Jarus
Wonderful Job. Most of us have been hearing PIB, PIB, PIB without understanding the content and the implication for both the industry and the general economy. Wonderful break down. AAA+++!!!

Questions regarding Host Communities Fund.
1)What happens to 10% of the profit emanating from offshore wells. Which community gets that.
2)How do you determine community ownership? Is it by the location of a well or by the coverage area of the well?

Is there a Negative feeling amongst Nigerians working with multinationals(like yourself and your colleagues) or is it just the Ogas at the top in The Hague and Houston that are apprehensive of the bill? Any fears that the bill could cause layoffs in the industry?

And one last question on the Host Community Fund, you said you also hold that too much goes to the region. Can you narrate why you feel so.
I feel like the host community fund is a much better tool than both 13% derivation and all the nonsense NDDC and Niger Delta Ministry that already exist.
I personally would recommend the scrapping of both agencies maybe to be replaced by an agency that would regulate the host communities fund. Communities come up with projects they would use their fund for in say 2014, monies are released in tranches based on the targets presented by the regulatory body. Again, this is Nigeria, corruption would kill any such process.
I would really like to understand why people are not cool with the Host communities fund.

I will try to answer a few of your questions at the same time, bring you closer to reality.

I tell you what, if the PIB is gonna introduce 10% community funds, i don't have any problems with that but mentioning it in the PIB without an implementation frame work is as $!lly as not having it at all. whether or not it repeals the 13% derivation fund,NDDC etc, is really not my problem.

perhaps i have mentioned this implementation frame work a lot and you may wonder if it can ever be actualized, let me quickly take u back a little where i mentioned living wage for oil and gas workers.
you see, these companies that pollute the industry with their slavery actually have what is called "personnel charges" in their contracts.

this personnel charges are considerations based on the quality, professionalism and risks inherent in the operations of the contractor, there are companies that charge between $800 to $1,500 or more daily per personnel to get the job done.
what happens in the end is that the companies collect the money from the client and pay the workers who are at the receiving end of all the risks inherent in their operations, pittance.

I have seen guys offshore who earn 2,000naira daily while their company was charging us $450 per person on a daily basis. I felt so bad. check out the margin, no doubt the companies may argue over head cost and sundry expenditures, but the Govt is working hard to fix these infrastructures.

How couldn't the PIB help these workers? just make a law in the PIB to say that the personnel is entitled to 20% of his or her personnel charge or more for example, create a dept in DPR or whatever they unbundled it to oversee compliance in this regards.punitive measures will equally be attached for companies who doesn't comply.

this is no rocket science but people like madueke pretend to be blind, i will tell you why,
this same people that packaged the PIB are all company owners so they wouldn't want to make a law that will eat into their profit.

back to the community funds, as i write, we have the 13% fund for oil producing states, does it get to the host communities? or are they not part of the states?
don't forget that the community is a subset of the LGA, are you aware that all LGA's in this country are entitled to monthly allocations, do you see it in the LGA accounts? it remains with the states which are meant to disburse them, little wonder we have mostly LGA care takers than elected chairmen

so the Governor reshuffles the care takers periodically to ensure the funds remains with the state for looting.
If the founders of the PIB who i believe is aware of what is happening at the LG levels,could not think properly, is it not obnoxious to just mention 10% community funds and walk away?

i feel it is Madueke's way of creating more choppings for oil producing states nothing more. If the LGA's are not in control of their funds, is it the community leaders that will see theirs?

those are the pertinent issues that need to be addressed.

im sick of hearing people applaud the PIB, i strongly believe that they are either victims of ignorance or they are the real beneficiaries of that Kleenex called PIB.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by jpphilips(m): 7:18pm On May 24, 2013
moderator,

kindly return this thread to the front page, it bothers around an issue of national importance.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by teexzle: 7:04am On May 28, 2013
@ jarus any idea on us shale oil, I read it now poses a serious threat for african producers
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by teexzle: 4:29pm On May 31, 2013
The draft revised version of the Petroleum Industry Bill has finally
been presented to the National Assembly and will hopefully be passed
into Law without the necessity of any further amendments.

The process was started in 2007 by the government of former President
Olusegun Obasanjo on a realization that there was an urgent need to
completely overhaul the oil and gas industry given the wanton
ineptitude and gross inefficiency inherent in the system and
especially in the operations of the Nigerian National Petroleum
Corporation (NNPC), which rendered it incapable of meeting the
aspirations for which it was set up.

It is pertinent to note that the NNPC’s broad objectives included
amongst others; participating in all stages and areas of the upstream
and downstream energy sector; participating on behalf of the Federal
Government in petroleum activities; performing regulatory functions;
engaging in activities to enhance the petroleum industry with an
overall mission to drive Nigeria’s economic and technical advancement,
leveraging the country’s valuable petroleum resources.

The NNPC became a hydra headed monster, performing the roles of
regulator, operator, buyer and seller of oil and petroleum products
and also a service provider. The consequence is an oil and gas
industry that is bogged down by excessive government interference,
bureaucracy, non-market pricing regimes, gross corruption and poor
management.

The former President Obasanjo set up the Oil and Gas Reform
Implementation Committee (OGIC) to make viable proposals on how to
overhaul the system with a view to making NNPC more efficient in its
operations as a commercial entity. The findings of that committee were
not implemented to the letter.

The administration of former President Musa Yar’Adua continued this
process by setting up the Lukman panel to address the plethora of
issues that plagued the industry and importantly to define the legal
regulatory and institutional framework that will govern activities in
the industry especially the operations of the NNPC with a directive to
maximise Nigeria’s interest. The report formed the basis of the first
Petroleum Industry Bill of 2008.

On coming to power, President Goodluck Jonathan followed the footsteps
of president Yar’Adua to drive the reforms in the sector and create an
industry that will usher Nigeria as one of the most industrialized
countries in the world by the year 2020. The policy objective is to
create an industry whose operations are transparent, highly efficient,
corrupt free, competitive and in conformity with international best
practice. There is also a policy goal to maximise Nigeria’s interest
from the exploitation of its hydro carbon resource.

The draft PIB repeals all existing laws and regulations governing the
industry and is a comprehensive law governing all aspects of the oil
and gas industry enshrining the principles of transparency,
efficiency, competition and above all national interest.

The first part of the Act deals with objectives which are stated as follows:
•Create a conducive business environment for petroleum operations;
Issues:
This objective captures the need to create an enabling environment
for investors and investments in the country. It is pertinent to point
out that this will only be actualized when the current security
challenge in the country is effectively contained.

• Enhance exploration and exploitation of petroleum resources in
Nigeria for the benefit of the Nigerian people;
Issues:
This objective makes the exploitation of the hydro carbon resource
for the benefit of the Nigerian people a cardinal principle given the
fact that the Nigerian people have not derived any significant benefit
from oil operations since commercial discovery in 1950. It is hoped
that the structures and institutions put in place in the new law will
drive this objective.

•Optimise domestic gas supplies particularly for power generation and
industrial development;
Issues:
This is in line with government’s interventionist approach to
stimulate gas supply obligation to ensure that there is supply to meet
growing domestic demand projected to grow to 2 billion cubic feet per
day of gas by the end of 2011.

•Establish a progressive fiscal framework that encourages further
investment in the petroleum industry whilst optimising revenues
accruing to the Government;
Issues:
This seeks to strike a balance between investor and host government
interest, given their diametrically opposing interests. For the
investor, a fiscal regime that guarantees rewards commensurate with
risks is vitally important while the host government seeks to maximize
its revenues from oil and gas operations.

•Establish commercially oriented and profit driven oil and gas entities;
Issues:

This is in line with the full commercialisation of NNPC to operate as
a limited liability company with a profit driven mandate which will
lead to good governance and high efficiency
• Deregulate and liberalise the downstream petroleum sector;

Issues:

This is a welcome development to rid the downstream sector of
government interference, stem fraud and corruption and introduce
competition. It is hoped that government will demonstrate the
political will to completely remove subsidy.
•Create efficient and effective regulatory agencies;

Issues:

The bane of the industry includes gross inefficiency, weak regulatory
institutions, endemic corruption and overall poor management. A new
face of the industry with high efficiency and effectiveness of its
regulatory institutions is certainly welcome. It is hoped that the
institutions created under the Act will deliver on this objective.
•Promote transparency and openness in the administration of the
petroleum resources of Nigeria;
Issues:

This objective if implemented will institutionalize international best
practice and boost investor confidence.
• Promote the development of Nigerian Content in the petroleum industry
Issues:

As I stated in my recent analysis of the Nigerian Content Act, the PIB
is a superstructure upon which the Nigerian Content Act is based. The
PIB and LC Act are therefore mutually inclusive and coterminous. The
PIB in supporting the Act confers the same benefits as the NC Act and
provides for those categories of contracts which now fall within the
domain of Nigerian indigenous companies and also for the training and
participation of Nigerians in all aspects of the oil and gas industry.
• Protect health, safety and environment in the course of petroleum operations;
Issues:

The protection of health, safety and the environment has become a
central focus of oil and gas operations globally and continues to be
on the front burner. There is provision for the early remediation of
health, safety and environmental problems and an obligation on all
operators to develop environmental management plans as well as pay
compensation for damage to the environment.A very welcome development
that will check environmental degradation especially in the Niger
Delta.

•Attain such other objectives to promote a viable and sustainable
petroleum industry in Nigeria.

Part 11 of the Act establishes key institutions.

• Petroleum Technical Bureau – Section 9.
This is a special unit in the office of the Minister and shall
consist of professionals with expertise in the upstream and downstream
sectors of the petroleum industry. It replaces the former Frontier
Exploration Services of NNPC. Functions include: to provide technical
and professional support to the minister on matters relating to the
petroleum industry amongst others.

• Upstream Petroleum Inspectorate – Section 13.
This replaces the former DPR, with the objectives to promote the
efficient safe effective and sustainable infrastructural development
of the upstream sector of the petroleum industry amongst others.

Its functions include: to administer and enforce policies, laws and
regulations relating to all aspects of upstream petroleum operations
which are assigned to it under any law. It is also to enforce
compliance with the terms and conditions of all leases, licences,
permits in respect of upstream petroleum operations amongst others.

Issues:
This function clearly overlaps with the functions of the Nigerian
Content Development and Monitoring Board and may result in conflict in
carrying out their duties. It is hoped that the two institutions will
work harmoniously.
• Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Agency – Section 43
It takes over the functions of the Petroleum Pricing and Regulatory
Agency and the Directorate of Petroleum Resources. Its main function
is to administer and enforce policies, laws and regulations relating
to all aspects of downstream petroleum operations as may be assigned
it by law.

• Petroleum Technology Development Fund – Section 73.
S. 76 states that the purpose of the fund shall be for training
Nigerians to qualify as graduates, professionals, technicians and
craftsmen in the fields of engineering, geology, science and other
related fields in the petroleum industry and in particular and without
prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the funds shall be
utilized inter – alia to (a) provide scholarships and bursaries,
wholly or partially in universities, institutions and in petroleum
undertakings in Nigeria or abroad.
Issues:

Note that this law is saved in the new Act. Its key function is to
apply the Development Funds for development of petroleum technology,
capacities and capabilities or the training and education of Nigerians
in the petroleum industry.

It is hoped that there will be a transparent, equitable and just
system that ensures access of qualified Nigerians to the Fund.
Equally, it is expected that the Funds will drive Research and
Development and capacity building in the industry and Nigeria as a
whole thereby serving as a catalyst for Nigeria’s technological and
economic development. The Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring
Board must of necessity work closely with the Fund to ensure maximum
success.

•Ms Obua, a solicitor with over 20 years experience, is from the
University of Dundee. She practices in the UK and also a partner at
EN&N Legal Practitioners Victoria Island Lagos and can be reached at
efuru@ennlawfirm.com/ eobua@hotmail.com
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by jpphilips(m): 4:06pm On Jun 17, 2013
teexzle: @ jarus any idea on us shale oil, I read it now poses a serious threat for african producers

to a great extent, shale oil has significantly reduced United states's dependence on foreign crude.

Nigeria for example saw a 15% cut on US demand for her oil, thanks to India who took up that slot.
as i write, US is producing about 6m bbls of shale oil and they are targeting 15m bbls by 2016 to become the world's largest producer of crude.
if that happens, there will be excess in the market, that will drive down the price, definitely from antecedents, OPEC will respond by cutting down production, that will drastically reduce Nigeria's oil revenue.

Yes shale oil is a huge threat to Nigeria.

however, Nigeria may breathe a sigh of relief if the congress pushes for tougher environmental laws, shale oil extraction is environmentally unfriendly.
Re: Understanding The PIB (Petroleum Industry Bill) by teexzle: 8:06pm On Jun 27, 2013
jp philips:

to a great extent, shale oil has significantly reduced United states's dependence on foreign crude.

Nigeria for example saw a 15% cut on US demand for her oil, thanks to India who took up that slot.
as i write, US is producing about 6m bbls of shale oil and they are targeting 15m bbls by 2016 to become the world's largest producer of crude.
if that happens, there will be excess in the market, that will drive down the price, definitely from antecedents, OPEC will respond by cutting down production, that will drastically reduce Nigeria's oil revenue.

Yes shale oil is a huge threat to Nigeria.

however, Nigeria may breathe a sigh of relief if the congress pushes for tougher environmental laws, shale oil extraction is environmentally unfriendly.
Thanks for the insights

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fayemi Declares Interest In Ekiti Guber Race / 252 Aides Resign From Tambuwal’s Cabinet / Femi Gbajabiamila: How Tambuwal Betrayed Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.