Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,943 members, 7,806,723 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools (11183 Views)

Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos / Hijab In The United States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by bobthebuilder99(m): 8:30am On May 21, 2013
ziccoit:

Think. Pls think oh boy. How does maclatunji become the punch that published the commissioner's statement/declaration on hijab? I don't usually respond to your likes but for the benefit of gullible ones that may ingest your putrid line of reasoning.

I said he is the mod that put it on the front page.

Next time read slowly until you understand well.
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by maasoap(m): 8:35am On May 21, 2013
buJu-234:
by the way was the importance of a woman covering her hair sef...
she is more beautiful with her hair showing.... so why oppress them... with this rule
This is the problem with many of you. There are many muslim women in Nigeria the don't use hijab and if some of them decide to use it, why trying to deny them their constitutional right? It is all boiled down to intolerance. Bloody hypocrites!
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 8:37am On May 21, 2013
this post has been hidden,
and banned,
along with the hijab
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by ibrobell(m): 8:53am On May 21, 2013
They shouldnt even have thought of that in the first place.
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by foulplay: 8:55am On May 21, 2013
Pls for the sake of watevat God u believe in let islam be. Atleast these small hijabs are very reasonable. Haba! I think guys here just enjoy rubbishing islam and its cause. End this hatred!
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by JaaizTech: 9:21am On May 21, 2013
I am glad Lagos State Government is not towing the path of stupidity. Hijab is a religious mode of dressing mandatory for Muslim ladies. It is a religious right and it shouldn't be infringed upon. I find it difficult to see what arm it would cause if Muslim girls wore a matching Hijab on their School uniforms, it shouldn't even be a matter for discussion.
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by wendieposh: 9:37am On May 21, 2013
Do they walk barefooted to their classrooms?,do they enforce their Jehova Wiitness beliefs on other students in their school? We are talking about secondary schools here so don't mix up ur facts,churches and religious beliefs are way different from secondary schools and their priciples. Plus my dear,you have no basis for your arguement so just shussshhhhhh.
omokayode9258: u ar nt a reasnable human bn nd if u ar, u ar reasoning fac is faulty. Hw culd d cele nd co be proud workn round d street wtout bn criticisd, hw culd d jehova wtnss be intrudn to pples house wtout bn corectd nd hw culd d christians be wearn skimpy, jumpa, trousers of dif kind wtout bn curbed. Nd d muslims dt ar covern dr chastity ar denied of dr civic right nd u ar dr comentn rubish. Do u knw dt hijab is allowed in virtualy al westrn country even oxford uni alows hijab talkles of unstandardisd schs in dis country wel, i reserv my coment til wen they finish dr useles consultatn
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by wendieposh: 9:51am On May 21, 2013
mbhs139:

I know your problem, it has a name: HATRED!

And to live with the reality that you went to school to gain education makes me sick. The prospects of you becoming the leader of an organisation in the future, be it public or private, makes me sick the more, because you may never lead well but with hatred against other religious beliefs, particularly Muslims.
You are dumber than the first person i responded to. If they want to use hijab,there are muslim schools they can attend. No one will hold them to it. We are talking about government schools here,my dear,it should be banned cos its not right. Now back to you calling me a bad leader cos i gave my opinion,u're the one with a shallow brain that cant think deep into the issue or think diplomatically. By the way,I have my roots in Islam.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by wendieposh: 10:01am On May 21, 2013
AbdH:
Beret is not an option!!!
Scarfs are not worn exclusively by Christians for it is not even part of your dressing. In fact, I have seen more wigs and attachments on Christian women than scarfs. While they exercise their right to wear and expose fake hair on their head to please numerous men, it is only fair that Muslims are allowed to cover their hair to please Allah - that is called justice.
Not n secondary schools except its a muslim school. At home,in tertiary institutions and any other place yes. We all have our beliefs,we don't need to impose them just because we feel its right. If hijab its agreed by a school board to have hijab as part of the school uniform,then its ok but if not,beret is a very good option my dear. Then a point of correction,secondary school students dont use wigs or attachments except during the holidays. I attended a public secondary school so i know. And if u want to generalise it,its not just christians that use wigs or attachments,muslims do too. Get your facts right before getting into an arguement with me.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by Delafruita(m): 10:42am On May 21, 2013
omokayode9258: u ar nt a reasnable human bn nd if u ar, u ar reasoning fac is faulty. Hw culd d cele nd co be proud workn round d street wtout bn criticisd, hw culd d jehova wtnss be intrudn to pples house wtout bn corectd nd hw culd d christians be wearn skimpy, jumpa, trousers of dif kind wtout bn curbed. Nd d muslims dt ar covern dr chastity ar denied of dr civic right nd u ar dr comentn rubish. Do u knw dt hijab is allowed in virtualy al westrn country even oxford uni alows hijab talkles of unstandardisd schs in dis country wel, i reserv my coment til wen they finish dr useles consultatn
this is absolute idiocyy.there is no civic right that allows people to wear hijabs.it would have been practicable in a society where the students dont have a uniform.in nigerian schools,there's a uniform.when one religion then decides to make additions to that uniform,then its no longer a uniform.in that case,different religion and sects should start wearing uniforms according to their religion.
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by Delafruita(m): 10:43am On May 21, 2013
maasoap: This is the problem with many of you. There are many muslim women in Nigeria the don't use hijab and if some of them decide to use it, why trying to deny them their constitutional right? It is all boiled down to intolerance. Bloody hypocrites!
constituitional right?what happened to my constituitional right not to be infringed upon?
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by Delafruita(m): 10:47am On May 21, 2013
ola_pluto: It wasn't a logical decision in the first instance. Hijab is allowed in most advanced western countries. Teachers allow it and respect those who wear it. I live in UK and there is no hijab ban. Jewish kids wear their little caps to school if they like. Sikhs wear their turban to school, everyone allows it. A Sikh policeman wears his turban anyday anytime anywhere, even if he's inside a church to guard the Queen.
Only in my dear country, Nigeria, do we have such overzealous intolerance. A Muslim girl's hijab is not hindering anybody. Neither is a headscarf or BERET by Christian students. I went to a christian secondary school where berets were part of the uniform. Only those in JSS1 complied, the rest started wearing bandana, and all sorts of scarfs. I think Nigerian governments should let hijab be. It harms no one except the religious fanatics and ethnocentric wannabes.
you do realise the fact that there are different types of hijabs.when you make hijabs acceptable,what stops some from covering their entire body?

banning hijab isnt overzealous intolerance,its simply enforcing an approved code of dressing for school kids.fortunately there are islamic schools for those who insist their kids must wear hijabs.but if you must send them to government schools,no hijabs.students in government schools are not even allowed to plait their hair.perhaps you will call that overzealous intolerance to sango and osun worshippers who are required to have massive hairdos
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by olapluto(m): 10:57am On May 21, 2013
Delafruita:
you do realise the fact that there are different types of hijabs.when you make hijabs acceptable,what stops some from covering their entire body?

banning hijab isnt overzealous intolerance,its simply enforcing an approved code of dressing for school kids.fortunately there are islamic schools for those who insist their kids must wear hijabs.but if you must send them to government schools,no hijabs.students in government schools are not even allowed to plait their hair.perhaps you will call that overzealous intolerance to sango and osun worshippers who are required to have massive hairdos
Yes there could be different 'types' of ijab. We can work on that. Banning Ijab is what I object to. Nothing stops Lagos government from approving the ijab 'length' and type.
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by benodic: 11:41am On May 21, 2013
this is one of the reasons i do not blame the atheists for attacking religion. when people who are grown ups should be discussing about how to move the education sector forward in order to bring up more productive and useful members of the society, they are busy attacking themselves over what religious clotting pupils should wear to a public school. God really need to have pity on us and save us from ourselves.
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by lekanolas: 12:22pm On May 21, 2013
The Lagos State government actually made a u-turn. The Commissioner did announce that the use of Hijab in public schools in the state has been banned.
The commissioner for education had, during a ministerial press briefing said: “If we should allow full usage of hijab in school, then we would invite confusion.

Whoever wishes that his daughter should be wearing hijab while going to school and within the school should send such child to Muslim schools.”

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/lagos-makes-u-turn-on-use-of-hijab-in-public-schools/
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by tpia5: 12:34pm On May 21, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

I said he is the mod that put it on the front page.

Next time read slowly until you understand well.

Front page stuff is done by other mods, i think.

Last time i checked.
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by REVOLUTNIS: 12:37pm On May 21, 2013
Muslims are not reasonable
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by AbdH: 12:50pm On May 21, 2013
wendieposh:

Not n secondary schools except its a muslim school. At home,in tertiary institutions and any other place yes. We all have our beliefs,we don't need to impose them just because we feel its right.
You don't seem to understand. The hijab is part of a Muslim woman's dressing and has to be worn on anything be it a uniform, suit or casual wear. You cannot stipulate where and when to wear the hijab when you don't even know what it stands for in the first place therefore, your point that it should be worn at home and tertiary institutions is out of place. I know we all have our beliefs....you seem to be the one imposing your beliefs on Muslims by saying that it is wrong to wear the hijab at school while Muslims are saying that they want to wear the hijab and Christians don't have to since they don't believe in it.

If hijab its agreed by a school board to have hijab as part of the school uniform,then its ok but if not,beret is a very good option my dear.
You said that it will be okay when the schools approve it as if you are not against it...pray tell, why should the beret be okay and not the hijab!? If they both serve the same purpose of covering the hair, why don't we pick the one that covers the hair more efficiently which is the hijab?

Then a point of correction,secondary school students dont use wigs or attachments except during the holidays.
I know. I only brought that up because I saw 'scarf' somewhere in the post I was responding to.

I attended a public secondary school so i know. And if u want to generalise it,its not just christians that use wigs or attachments,muslims do too. Get your facts right before getting into an arguement with me.
I know that Muslims do too but there are more Christians who do it. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't give people who do not want to please men with their fake hair the chance to please their Lord with the hijab. By the way, I would never argue with you Sir/Ma, I am not good at it for I usually lose.
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by dammytosh: 1:08pm On May 21, 2013
Deny oooo to avoid losing 2015 election.

Polithifians.

They can do anything to get vote.
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by Baawaa(m): 1:27pm On May 21, 2013
This story is not true,i heard the news myself.Lagos State has banned Hijab in public Schools.The woman said if you want your child to use Hijab,take her to where is allowed!
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by Junique: 2:33pm On May 21, 2013
[quote author=omokayode9258] u ar nt a reasnable human bn nd if u ar, u ar reasoning fac is faulty. Hw culd d cele nd co be proud workn round d street wtout bn criticisd, hw culd d jehova wtnss be intrudn to pples house wtout bn corectd nd hw culd d christians be wearn skimpy, jumpa, trousers of dif kind wtout bn curbed. Nd d muslims dt ar covern dr chastity ar denied of dr civic right nd u ar dr comentn rubish. Do u knw dt hijab is allowed in virtualy al westrn country even oxford uni alows hijab talkles
Buh u ar insultin him,he said d rit tin. U ar takin ds too personal bro wetin. Truly if evrybody wnt 2 b wearin wat wil identify em as 1 religion wont students luk lik masquerades. N sayin christians wearin skimpy tins wat abt so called hijab wearin muslim women dt ar usin hijab 2 cover dir dirty deeds,dnt i c em in sch or even av em as frends,dey cn involve in rubbish.
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by Junique: 2:42pm On May 21, 2013
[quote author=omokayode9258] u ar nt a reasnable human bn nd if u ar, u ar reasoning fac is faulty. Hw culd d cele nd co be proud workn round d street wtout bn criticisd, hw culd d jehova wtnss be intrudn to pples house wtout bn corectd nd hw culd d christians be wearn skimpy, jumpa, trousers of dif kind wtout bn curbed. Nd d muslims dt ar covern dr chastity ar denied of dr civic right nd u ar dr comentn rubish. Do u knw dt hijab is allowed in virtualy al westrn country even oxford uni alows hijab talkles
Re: Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools by victme1(m): 4:02pm On May 21, 2013
see all of u r talking. Hijab or no Niqab, and all other religiously dressed females. Just look behind the screen and see how AMORAL the girls can b. But i tell u something, it is interesting and really rewarding to go/see under a girls niqab. True it adds greatly to the exictement and the exhilaration. Wao. u guys try it and be rewarded trying to navigate your way into the niqab.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Useful Smartphone Apps for Muslims / Points To Assist A Declining Marriage / Spirit Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.