Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police (18368 Views)

Nasarawa : Ombatse Backs Al -makura ’ S Impeachment / Ombatse Militiamen Attack Herdsmen Again / Ombatse Spokesman - 'Bullets Don't Kill Us' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by youngies(m): 11:49am On May 21, 2013
All may not have been fully heard about the incident of May 7 2013 which unofficial reports claim over sixty officers and men of the Nigeria Police Force as well as men of the State Security Services were killed at Alakio village, Eggon land, in Nasarawa state. One of the members of the Omba'atse group, which fought the policemen, says the group is not violent.

The old man, on condition of anonymity, said in Alakio Friday, that the policemen sent to the village provoked the attack by indiscriminately killing the natives. According to him, over thirty innocent locals were shot dead by the police, and more would have been shot if not the quick intervention of the Omba'atse group. He said the group is the movement in the area with the sole mandate of protecting the common heritage and aspirations of the natives of the area, mainly from external aggression.

It was gathered that the village has an ancestral deity called Azhili, upon which members of the Omba'atse group get initiated. Members of the public are also said to seek protection and success from Azhili.

The man, who is in his late 1960's, said, "Eggon people generally are peaceful. We live peacefully with other ethnic nationalities. We don't engage in crimes and we don't tolerate such. Our forefathers worshipped their gods with fear.

It was the coming of the white men that changed the tempo of our ancestral worship. Presently Eggon natives still live in peace and serve this country very well in every capacity they find themselves. We are also patient people. We only react when we are pushed to the wall."

He said the protracted marginalisation and oppression upon the Eggon race by successive administrations in Nasarawa state and beyond informed the people's quest to unite and have a common front on issues that affect them.

"We decided that we should be together otherwise we will be annihilated.

A particular reference is the 2006 governorship election in Nasarawa state. The climax of the race was between Senator Solomon Ewuga and former Governor Abdullahi Adamu. Ewuga is from Eggon. Ewuga won the election with a greater margin but it was rigged in favour of Abdullahi Adamu.

This provoked Eggon people and it also brought us closer as one. We have Christians, Muslims and traditional African worshippers in our fold. It is our quest for unity that prompted the formation of Omba'atse, which means 'the time has come for Eggon man or woman to stand and claim our right'.

For your information, the majority of people in Nasarawa state are from Eggon. We have been marginalised maybe because our forefathers were not educated or the reasons best known to the authorities concerned."

He defends the group, saying it is not an occult group. In his words, "The doctrines of Omba'atse are according to our common deity Azhili, which go hand in hand with those of the Bible and the Holy Quran. Principal among them are that one must be holy, should not steal, should not commit adulatory, among other vices. In a nutshell, the practice is against evil and man's inhumanity to fellow man. Any person who is not holy cannot worship this deity."

On whether the group is a militant association, the man said, "Omba'atse serves as a movement of our people. The objective is simply to defend our collective aspirations from the enemies. The group does not look for trouble, but to protect according to the dictates of our ancestral gods. Adherents of Azhili know that it does not condone shedding of blood, and anyone who spills human blood without any concrete reason is always severely punished by the deity.

The members are not occultists as some people have come to say. They only uphold the tenets of our tradition. An occultist goes about killing people to fulfil his obligations but Omba'atse does not kill to fulfil any mission rather to protect the land when the need arises. Members do not use guns to fight. They have cutlasses called AK 49, which were given to them by their god for self-defence."

On the actual attack that took place at Alakio village where many policemen were killed, he said, "Information came that armed men were going to attack the village to arrest the traditional chief priest of the deity, who is seen as the spiritual head of the Omba'atse group. This information came to us about a week before the police launched the attack about two weeks ago. When the police eventually came, they were initially asked their mission before they got to the main village. They answered that they were going to arrest some people.

It marvelled everybody because we wondered the kind of arrest that would make the deployment of troops in twelve vehicles. On their way, by a village along Alakio, called Agabija, the policemen began to shoot indiscriminately. When they eventually got to Alakio, they began to shoot people. In fact more than thirty innocent villagers were killed.

That provoked the Omba'atse group who rose for self-defence. They only use cutlasses to fight."

He said there was an open confrontation between the police and the group. "The police fired the first shot. But the bullets did not enter the bodies of the Omba'atse members. The Omba'atse retaliated and inflicted pains on them."

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/4631-we-used-ak-49-cutlass-to-fight-police-ombatse-member
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by momodub: 1:30pm On May 21, 2013
smileyThe police fired the first shot. But the bullets did not enter the bodies of the Omba'atse members.nna odeshi at work

3 Likes

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by DrSadikMagaji(m): 1:31pm On May 21, 2013
Hmmmmm
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Artless360(m): 1:32pm On May 21, 2013
Wetin na mk we hear abeg word**una kill humanbeing stil dey proud****mstwwww nonsense next thread joor

2 Likes

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 21, 2013
kiss
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by mistiff007(m): 1:34pm On May 21, 2013
Meeeen!These masquerades need to shutup.
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by ZACHIE: 1:36pm On May 21, 2013
youngies:
The man, who is in his late 1960's, said, "Eggon people generally are peaceful. We live peacefully with other ethnic nationalities. We don't engage in crimes and we don't tolerate such. Our forefathers worshipped their gods with fear.

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/4631-we-used-ak-49-cutlass-to-fight-police-ombatse-member

Wow! Egggonites living this long in the 21st century, i think i want to be an Eggonite too.

10 Likes

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by greall1: 1:38pm On May 21, 2013
Wow long story. I'm lazy reading long story.
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 21, 2013
Our police force is so useless! They thought it was molestation as usual buh met a very strong formidable force. I will tell for sure that the current insecurity problem is somehow the display of how unmannered our NPF is.

6 Likes

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Kslib(m): 1:41pm On May 21, 2013
Hmmn,this people's pride is becoming too much..
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by donkray: 1:41pm On May 21, 2013
[quote author=youngies].....
A particular reference is the 2006 governorship election in Nasarawa state. The climax of the race was between Senator Solomon Ewuga and former Governor Abdullahi Adamu. Ewuga is from Eggon. Ewuga won the election with a greater margin but it was rigged in favour of Abdullahi Adamu....

THERE WAS NO ELECTION IN 2006 AND ABDULLAHI ADAMU COMPLETED HIS 2ND TENURE IN 2007 AND DID NOT CONTEST (ABI 3RD TERM DEY?) SO THATS FALSE STORY AND THEREFORE THE ENTIRE STORY IS FALSE. THE SHOT THOSE POLICE JHOOR!

5 Likes

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Nobody: 1:41pm On May 21, 2013
Someone please educate me here and no insults because I really do not understand. A group admitted to killing 95 policemen and they still come out everyday to talk. Last week I read about an interview with the group's spokeperson in the newspapers and the man was talking to a reporter.

Please is there anything going to be done to/about this group. Has it all ended now. We agree the police attacked them first but should a militia group kill 95 policemen and go away like that. I fear o!

3 Likes

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by iamswizz(m): 1:42pm On May 21, 2013
shocked

1 Like

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by emmanuel4758(m): 1:52pm On May 21, 2013
chai but i promise ombase dat when army were deploy let dem fight army wit cutlass and juju dat time dey wil know different between army and police but dis police una made mistake una supose to with at least one army i promise it would be a different cuz wen one army is been killed by now state of emergency would hav been declare in nassaraw wat hapen to baga wil soon hapen to dat village ummmmmmm make i tell una juju node work were soldier deyoooh but jonathan should set a commitee to luk in dis issue lol ...my condelence to ndi uweh ojii

2 Likes

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Codedrock(m): 1:53pm On May 21, 2013
I am damn sure they wont want to try that with well trained soldiers like the americans.
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by sammmiey1: 1:54pm On May 21, 2013
Kayefi
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Cikoloko(m): 1:55pm On May 21, 2013
My bro who was an sss was killed and d body hav not been found....
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Seunolugbala: 1:58pm On May 21, 2013
D 2006 election strong ws a typical lie cos Gov. Abdullahi Adamu cmpleted his tenure in 2007 and Sen. Solomon Ewuga is a present senator elected durin 2011 election. 4 me, Ombatse group r real secret cult membas, tak it or u leave it. 4 d eggonites as a tribe, u r a real bastard group and a disgrace 2 Nigeria ethnic groups cos u cnt nt tel dis ur abalist nt 2 killed d innocent officers.
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Rooneyboy(m): 2:08pm On May 21, 2013
Naija police grin grin grin .
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Wsdm: 2:08pm On May 21, 2013
Nashville: Someone please educate me here and no insults because I really do not understand. A group admitted to killing 95 policemen and they still come out everyday to talk. Last week I read about an interview with the group's spokeperson in the newspapers and the man was talking to a reporter.

Please is there anything going to be done to/about this group. Has it all ended now. We agree the police attacked them first but should a militia group kill 95 policemen and go away like that. I fear o!
Just the same way they toyed with the issue of Boko haram till it now escalated to a true terror group. The same way they keep mute on the Fulanis/farmers clashes all over the country. Our politicians are only busy thinking of looting and the next election.

1 Like

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Afritop(m): 2:12pm On May 21, 2013
THE MAN HAS MADE HIS POINT. POLICE INTIMIDATION IS TOO MUCH. COMPARING WHAT IS BEEN REPORTED IN THE DAILIES INCLUDING ACTUAL POLICE INVESTIGATIONS, THIS MAN'S TESTIMONY IS ALMOST THE SAME. What could have prompted the police to send truckloads of hundreds of police to ARREST just a man when that man is not a commando. HAD IT BEEN THEY HAVE SUCCEEDED, THE OPERATION WOULD HAVE BEEN SIMILAR TO THE BOKO HARAM SITUATION IN 2009. But it is sad that the police liken the event to a rescue mission

4 Likes

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by brightnelly(f): 2:25pm On May 21, 2013
Artless360: Wetin na mk we hear abeg word**una kill humanbeing stil dey proud****mstwwww nonsense next thread joor
†ђξ police started shooting sporadically A̶̲̥̅̊nϑ killed more dan 30 locals. What do have t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ say abt that?

1 Like

Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by Decapo: 2:35pm On May 21, 2013
ok
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by tpia5: 2:39pm On May 21, 2013
what's the long preamble about?

who is interested in all that super story?
Re: Ombatse Used Cutlass To Fight Police by tpia5: 2:40pm On May 21, 2013
Someone please educate me here and no insults because I really do not understand. A group admitted to killing 95 policemen and they still come out everyday to talk. Last week I read about an interview with the group's spokeperson in the newspapers and the man was talking to a reporter.

that's nigeria for you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Can’t Return To Aso Rock In 2019 - Tambuwal / Umahi Seeks Reconciliation, Negotiations With Bandits In Ebonyi / Biafra: MASSOB Hires 500 Pastors, Prayer Warriors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.