Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,437 members, 7,781,276 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:40 AM

ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day (7896 Views)

Buhari Can't Make A Dollar Equal Naira - Dan Nwanyanwu / Serve Nigerians, Not My Husband, Aishat Tells Buhari’s Aides / Nigerian Visa Goes For A Dollar In 13 Countries - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by souljaboi: 10:24pm On May 21, 2013
The Country Director of ActionAid Nigeria, Hussaini Abdu, noted that the conclusions of the poll are “too simplistic, as it did not consider the multi-dimensional approach to the definition of poverty. ” “The conclusions of the poll trivialized the true situation of poverty in the country and reduced it to responses from very few Nigerians with certain levels of privileges,” the group said. “The methodology of the poll is flawed and the report is misleading, especially to policy makers.

Abdu further said, “The NOI report questions the method of applying Purchasing Power Parity, rather than calculate directly using the USD/Naira exchange rate when in fact this internationally applied method is tailored per country using Consumer Price Indices (CPIs) and gives greater accuracy and local grounding to the $1. 25 per day measurement per country. “The NOI Polls’ conclusion is not internally coherent.

The report is not only misleading, it is are shocking to note that NOI could use a poll exercise to insult the poor citizens and cavalierly wave people’s suffering, misery and trepidation. ” “The poll interviewed selected adults who own mobile phones and did not profile respondents in other ways, such as occupation, gender, age and specific locations.

He also said that the items listed as being eaten by the respondents, including bread, rice, spaghetti and noodles are out of reach for most rural and urban poor in the country, adding that the staple food in most Nigerian homes is mainly local food crops such as grains, made up of millet, sorghum and cowpeas in the North and tubers such as yam, cocoyam in the South.

Abdu further stated that the report quoted an old National Bureau of Statistics, NBS, report, which was subsequently withdrawn. “The national poverty rate has remained static since 2004 and has not increased by 10 per cent as claimed by the NOI report,” he noted.

He added that it is ridiculous for the report to state that most Nigerians now eat in canteens, pointing out that the concept of eating in canteens, restaurants or local food joints, is entirely foreign to many Nigerians.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/national/135463-80-of-nigerians-not-living-above-one-dollar-a-day-poverty-threshold-says-actionaid.html

do you think he is saying the truth ?

http://hotnaijagists..co.uk/2013/05/action-aid-nigeria-claims-that-80-of.html

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 10:42pm On May 21, 2013
A wheelbarrow pusher makes more than 1 dollar a day.. So that statistics is false..

9 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by KingPradas(m): 11:23pm On May 21, 2013
Even a common mai lemu makes more than 1000 naira per day

2 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by souljaboi: 12:09am On May 22, 2013
Misunderstood_G: A wheelbarrow pusher makes more than 1 dollar a day.. So that statistics is false..

yeah true that

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by souljaboi: 12:09am On May 22, 2013
KingPradas: Even a common mai lemu makes more than 1000 naira per day

Exactly
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by sakaguchi(m): 1:13am On May 22, 2013
They can use the one dollar benchmark any other place in the world, but when it comes to Nigeria, the only veritable statistical tool to know the poverty rate and purchasing power of Nigerians is by this very simple questionnaire:
CAN YOU BUY ONE CUP OF GARRI EVERYDAY? Yes= RICH
CAN YOU BUY ONE CUP OF GARRI EVERYDAY? No= POOR

3 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 3:30am On May 22, 2013
The West view it by standard if living
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by bobthebuilder99(m): 5:14am On May 22, 2013
I never understood the point of these surveys.

If you work your own land, what do you need money for?
Do cows, goats, yams, chickens, and camels count as money on these studies?

These fools would look at a family with a large farm, 1000 cattle, 200 camels, and 5000 goats and record them as being poor, just because they don't use currency.

5 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 5:35am On May 22, 2013
bobthebuilder99: I never understood the point of these surveys.

If you work your own land, what do you need money for?
Do cows, goats, and camels count as money on these studies?

These fools will look at a family with a large farm, 1000 cattle, 200 camels, and 5000 goats and record them as being poor, just because they don't use currency.
yet over 130 million people have phones lipsrsealed I guess some peeps don't know the definition of poverty.. Go somalia

4 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:19am On May 22, 2013
The lowest cost of a recharge card in Nigeria is N100. And only 20% of the acclaimed 80% will buy a minimum of a N100 recharge per day. I assure u, the remaining buy an average of N200 per day! And they will still eat per day!

We all knw their survey is an epitome of foolishness!

3 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 6:38am On May 22, 2013
Yesterday, i went to Utako market bought a lot of goods, called a wheelbarrow pusher and paid him N50, to carry the goods to my car, he did...so tell me, from me alone, that's N50.. and 1dollar is equal to 157.. so the survey is bleeped up tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by bloodless: 8:00am On May 22, 2013
Toluwarni: Yesterday, i went to Utako market bought a lot of goods, called a wheelbarrow pusher and paid him N50, to carry the goods to my car, he did...so tell me, from me alone, that's N50.. and 1dollar is equal to 157.. so the survey is bleeped up tongue tongue

yeah but that wheelbarrow man probably has a wife and 4-6 dependents...this is the difference people

6 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:12am On May 22, 2013
bloodless:

yeah but that wheelbarrow man probably has a wife and 4-6 dependents...this is the difference people
and after dt N50 he collected, he retired for d day, abi?

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by FrankC3: 8:59am On May 22, 2013
bloodless:

Let me repeat the question I have always asked people who believed this $1 crap. Is there any member of your nuclear or extended family who live on less than $1 dollar per day?'

The answer I always get is 'no, but there are some Nigerians...bla bla bla...' who are those 'some Nigerians' that have no nuclear or extended family?

Even an average unemployed graduate fixes weavon (if a lady). NOBODY live on less than a dollar per day in Nigeria TODAY. If we are talking about people sending their children to better schools or using napkin for their children instead of using pampers,then I will listen.

2 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by XHTML: 9:24am On May 22, 2013
A vast majority of the guys at the helm of these things haven't stepped foot on Nigeria. 80% of Nigerians can't get N163 per day?

The poll interviewed selected adults who own mobile phones and did not profile respondents in other ways, such as occupation, gender, age and specific locations.

This how they collect the data?

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Ajibel(m): 9:28am On May 22, 2013
This is a very big insalt on Nigerians. How can one say 80% of Nigerians live below $1 Do they know what poverty really is? Some adults sha got cotton wools in their brain angry

2 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 9:29am On May 22, 2013
statistical jargons,wonders how these people arrive at their conclusion.
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Chanchit: 9:31am On May 22, 2013
How can u live on $1 per day when a derica of beans alone is N200, derica of garri N100, derica of rice N180. Everything is xpensive. The only way u can do that is perhaps eating only biscuit and pure water. As much as I complain of being broke, I spend nothing less than N600 pre day, not to add recharge card o.

7 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by segzicres(m): 9:32am On May 22, 2013
The truth is most ppl make above 1dollar but 1dollar is totally useless in this our dead economy
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by bobthebuilder99(m): 9:32am On May 22, 2013
XHTML: A vast majority of the guys at the helm of these things haven't stepped foot on Nigeria. 80% of Nigerians can't get N163 per day?

This how they collect the data?

Who makes less than N163 a day and still buys a cellphone?

You would have to go hungry for weeks just to be able to buy the phone. The recharge cards would kill you!
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nosyke(m): 9:33am On May 22, 2013
KingPradas: Even a common mai lemu makes more than 1000 naira per day

Actually, Orange sellers make 600 million naira in some states.........Ask the Army in Kaduna.

1 Like

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by jintex(m): 9:35am On May 22, 2013
let me just comment my reserve, because the will just sit in their various homes and make assumptions undecidedlet me just comment my reserve, because the will just sit in their various homes and make assumptions
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by DJDOLA(m): 9:35am On May 22, 2013
All d same..poverty is still roaming in our country...sometimes 2 eat 3times a day is by fire by force..were by some fucking senator son give their gf 150thousand for brazilian hair....in nigeria 150thousand naira can transform a man too live in semi better life nah abi
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Watermelon(m): 9:35am On May 22, 2013
These surveys never cease to baffle me, lagosians alone spend one billion naira annually on owambe parties,

2 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Maxymilliano(m): 9:35am On May 22, 2013
Wuruwuru statistics
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by londoner: 9:40am On May 22, 2013
This is silly....these so called statistics conflict with eachother. Every week it is somehing different.

This week 80% of Nigerians live on less than a dollar a day.....does this include the so called 77% of Nigerians they say are bleaching their skin?

How about the millions who own and recharge a mobile phone?

These people are laughable with their claims........lol

2 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by fpeter(f): 9:42am On May 22, 2013
[quote author=Toluwarni]Yesterday, i went to Utako market bought a lot of goods, called a wheelbarrow pusher and paid him N50, to carry the goods to my car, he did...so tell me, from me alone, that's N50.. and 1dollar is equal to 157.. so the survey is bleeped up tongue tongue[/

50naira bros? Haba you stingy o! 100naira would have been more like it wink

3 Likes

Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by theripper3: 9:46am On May 22, 2013
The koko is that dat there is poverty in the land.
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Nobody: 9:46am On May 22, 2013
Our president now has lotta shoesssssssssssssssss.... Hence, this statistic is ill cooked. I would have accepted it were it to be the time he had no shoes. tongue
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by Chinaimporter: 9:52am On May 22, 2013
[size=18pt]my family was living on less than 70 naira per day in 1999 and we where 4 ppl.that was b4 i made it and now i live in a
Mansion and i have no poor family member or friend thank to just 5 months of drug pushing in 2006
My brothers,poverty is not an option just dont kill or harm pple when hustlin[/size]
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by dridowu: 9:53am On May 22, 2013
We dont need statistics to believe ds, we can see it, feel it and smell it. But i will put d percentage @ 65%
Re: ActionAid - 80% Of Nigerians Not Living Above A-Dollar-A-Day by chukwudaru(m): 10:08am On May 22, 2013
even a begger in nigeria makes more than $1 a day......

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

75 Million Nigerians Lack Access To Electricity – World Bank / Obasanjo Kneels To Greet The Next Governor Of Lagos State / A’ibom: Nsima Ekere’s Petition Ammendment Flops At Tribunal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.