Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,567 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? (3845 Views)

I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. / How Supportive Is Your Husband At Home? / How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by mamagee3(f): 1:23am On May 22, 2013
I'm a student in school, I try my very best in school and work as hard as I can but I have an unsupportive family who has never uttered a word of encouragement nor offered me any financial help....

I work part-time because I'm in school full-time yet no one cares about me, it looks like I was brought into this world and abandoned and left all alone... I have just one parent and no one is helpful to me at all, I feel deserted and neglected.

Please someone should tell me what to do?
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by KingPradas(m): 1:32am On May 22, 2013
Don't feel down on your self, everything in life has a reason. Don't be allow your Unsupportive Family to make you struggle in school, work hard and you will see wonderful results.

Remember this " What Goes Around Comes Around "
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by tpia5: 1:36am On May 22, 2013
What do you want people to tell you?

The arm of flesh will always fail, its more important to trust in God. People are human, not spirits, so if you're angry they're not reaching out to you, then reach out to them.

But what about all those threads where you discussed your friends, family and such- were they fake?
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by slimyem: 1:39am On May 22, 2013
Forget that you have a family at all,keep working hard and keep trying your best like you've been doing. At the end of the day,it'd be all for you not for your family.
That should be your motivation.
Even orphans survive on their own and turn out well.undecided

First thread I'm reading from op that sounds a little real and not so attention seeking..cool I might be wrong though..undecided
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by tpia5: 1:40am On May 22, 2013
KingPradas: Don't feel down on your self, everything in life has a reason. Don't be allow your Unsupportive Family to make you struggle in school, work hard and you will see wonderful results.

Remember this " What Goes Around Comes Around "

Her situation, or what she described, is quite common among young people who are sent overseas alone, thats why many of them fall into questionable company and habits.

But when the relatives are themselves struggling with their own challenges, how can they help with other people's own?
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by Busybody2(f): 2:09am On May 22, 2013
mama-gee:
I'm a student in school, I try my very best in school and work as hard as I can but I have an unsupportive family who has never uttered a word of encouragement nor offered me any financial help....

I work part-time because I'm in school full-time yet no one cares about me, it looks like I was brought into this world and abandoned and left all alone... I have just one parent and no one is helpful to me at all, I feel deserted and neglected.

Awwwww babe(((hugs))), do you have other siblings or has things always been like this or did you have to relocate to another Country for studies?

1 Like

Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by ryom(m): 2:20am On May 22, 2013
Well, I suppose you've got the Nairaland family, and here we are wishing you more powers to your elbow for a job well done thus far; but you must not rest on your oars. Life is one long journey. Remember as they say, "...the world beats no one half a way..." If you want it, you've got to get it (the right way). You are already doing all the right thing. Keep it up. Don't be discouraged. When I look at my life, I am amazed how far I've come given my very humble background. I lost my Dad at age 14. I'm the first born. The only male. But we don't give up. We pull it up from within us to keep on keeping on. We pray. We push. We pull. In the end, we get there. Read 'The Power of Positive Thinking' by Norman Vincent Peale. All the best.
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by mamagee3(f): 2:34am On May 22, 2013
Busy_body:

Awwwww babe(((hugs))), do you have other siblings or has things always been like this or did you have to relocate to another Country for studies?

I didn't come to the country all alone, I came with my family but no one helps me, they just allow me to go to school from home, that's the only thing they do for me.
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by Nobody: 2:38am On May 22, 2013
Awww. smiley
This is a quote of encouragement I got off the net. smiley

“There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them.
But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Fifth Mountain

1 Like

Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by Nobody: 2:39am On May 22, 2013
mama-gee:

I didn't come to the country all alone, I came with my family but no one helps me, they just allow me to go to school from home, that's the only thing they do for me.

Have you spoken to them about it?
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by tpia5: 2:53am On May 22, 2013
mama-gee:

meaning you're not paying rent.

and you still have your family around you.

probably your family members have their own financial responsibilities hence its difficult to have anything left over to pay your fees with?

in nigeria, parents typically pay school fees (when they can).

Not always so overseas because students get grants, loans and other types of financial assistance.
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by baby124: 3:12am On May 22, 2013
Finally!!! Mama Gee comes out with her main issue. All your previous cryptic posts have all led to this. I knew there was more to your posts. My dear, get close to your mum and tell her how you feel. From your previous posts I can sense that you are a people pleaser, you worry too much about other people instead of worrying about yourself. I think you desperately need your mother's love, attention and her giving you the confidence you need to be the best you can be. She may not be ignoring you intentionally, people chase their lives sometimes too much and forget about the little things. Talk to your mum in confidence, and pour out your heart to her. You will be fine. Also, please, just live your life and enjoy it. Outside People should not have so much influence on your life. Set goals for yourself and focus on achieving it. Everything else will fall into place. Goodluck dear. You are a sweetheart sha. Don't worry, I will be your agony aunty. kiss
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by Busybody2(f): 4:16am On May 22, 2013
mama-gee:

Hmmmm,

So its just Mum alone and the rest of you children!

Mama-gee, you are human so it is your fundamental right to feel the way you do because not having a dependable background can shake our basic sense of self, but i want to congratulate you and tell you it is very brave of you to have BOLDLY stepped out of the shadows of this emotional betrayal from your parent whom are supposed to have unconditional love for us and spoken up. Many in your shoes would have succumbed to peer pressure and fallen off the wagon and would have started keeping bad companies such as joining gangs to get a sense of family, you could have latched yourself onto any random man for security and validation, but are still holding on strong, not letting anything deter you in achieving your goal, you are one strong lady who is not just aware of her strength. And inspite of all you are passing through, you are still selflessly striving to do your best and keep your head up and prevent yourself from falling through the cracks. (((Kudos to you for this)))

What sometimes helps is trying to picture yourself in that persons shoes that maybe they too could be amongst the walking wounded blighted by their childhood and might not have had the best of childhood too, hence their poor parenting skills, or it could be that being a lone parent has left them too preoccupied to tune in to your emotional need or that perhaps life didn't present them a glimpse of the template on how to be good parents, hence reason they couldn't perform up to par when life threw them the curve ball of parenthood…

So please these circumstances are beyond your control and none of it is your fault, so It is natural to feel the way you do, but don't be too hard on yourself, rise above the feeling of rejection, the rage, the insecurity, the feeling of worthlessness, the profound sense of loss, etc. You are on the cusp of adulthood yourself, you would soon graduate and get a professional job and find yourself immersed in a new world, you will soon start thinking about settling down and starting your own family, giving you have a chance to forge new relationship and get your own family. And of course feel free to let more out and pour your heart out, so you can be relieved from all these burden you have been carrying on your shoulders all these years. You can also pour out your heart to your parent as someone helpfully suggested, and hey you have us here in the family section too, we are one hella crazy, looney, cuckoo lot, but we love you babe.

1 Like

Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by Nobody: 4:27am On May 22, 2013
Hi Mama-gee smiley. For some perspective, there are tons of people who don't have a family at all. Who have no clothes, are not schooling, do not have employment and find it very difficult to feed.

Count your blessings. Do you think you life is blessed and even privileged in any ways?

Sure, ideally, we all want supportive parents, partners and children...but 'unfortunately' it doesn't always work out.

Do you know what I want you to do now? I want you to ACCEPT the fact, the circumstance, the reality that your family is not supportive.

I want you to be 'cool' with it. I want you to not label it as 'good' or 'bad'. Just be at peace with the fact that your family isn't supportive. If it improves 'cool', if it doesn't 'no problem'.

No matter how caring, supportive or apathetic other people might be, your ultimate happiness and fulfilment is entirely upto one person: YOU!

Finally, you are already rich beyound measure smiley. That which you think you lack; give.

1 Like

Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by tpia5: 4:50am On May 22, 2013
^^1000 likes.
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by biolabee(m): 5:03am On May 22, 2013
This Is nice
cheesy

Be encouraged you will reach your goals
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by BlackSwan: 9:13am On May 22, 2013
sorry about your issues op. i hope everything turns out ok in the nearest future
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by Nobody: 10:53pm On May 23, 2013
Hi poster,wen I saw ur post,I smiled cos my situation then was worst than ur own but I'm alive and blessed all round.back then I needed to feel I belonged somewhere,(wen u feel ur close family don't really care).
This was what I did that helped me. I changed my perspective abt pple, (that includes family).Assumin,they r not alive,won't I be living?
I looked for those things that will make me happy and engaged in them.
I looked at d future with bright eyes(within me ,I always say,I will make it,I will be d best in anything I'm doin etc)
I read d gospels.hearing jesus speak to me makes my day always, Cos he always tells me he cares.
I started showin lv and care to whomever that crosses my way.
I had a very positive mindset.
If it hurts so bad,I let go and cry.yes,I cry and cry and wipe away tears and continue.
I lv my family unconditionally.
I can remember boardin night bus from my school to the north to buy goods and sell in my school so I can take care of d expenses cos I know that since I'm above 18yrs, I'm responsible for me.
And I do it with all my heart.
Did all these pay off,yes,it did!
I became a livin testimony for many that knows me.
As for ur family,they will come around and when they do,embrace them.
At times we pass tru diff types of wilderness at a point in our lives and I believe this is ur own wilderness.after that comes the green pastures.
All d best dear.
*that some one didn't show u lv does not mean d person don't lv u*

2 Likes

Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by PvtParts1: 7:35am On Jun 02, 2013
mama-gee:

Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 02, 2013
^^ u ought to be baaanned till 2020

@ op I feel ur pain, ve been there too, walked that road and know where n how ur shoes pinches
Re: What Do I Do, I Don't Have A Supportive Family? by tpiander: 3:19am On Aug 23, 2015
tpia5:
What do you want people to tell you?

The arm of flesh will always fail, its more important to trust in God. People are human, not spirits, so if you're angry they're not reaching out to you, then reach out to them.

But what about all those threads where you discussed your friends, family and such- were they fake?

(1) (Reply)

Good Crèche Wanted Around VI, Lekki, Lagos Island / Should A Woman Respect Her Male Boss More Than Her Husband? / See How This Owerri Lady Exposed & Humiliated Her Husband Who Abused Her(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.