Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,252 members, 7,780,530 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:55 PM

My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (87245 Views)

What Job Seeker Needs To Learn From Jobberman Recent Report / 10 Sticky Job Interview Situations And How To Handle Them / Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by olachy: 11:45am On May 15, 2008
to buzatech, its a tactic they use to get u uncomfortable, most pple fall for this and think maybe they havnt said enuff so they now start goin on and on and on, if u fell the stare is gettn too long, u could just politely ask if thr's anything they want you to clear up for them,
never ever fall for it,

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kamozini(f): 2:20pm On May 15, 2008
sad thank you for ur lesson, buts for me, its more like 'medicine after death'. i guess i've learnt oh, but the pain of regret is truly stinging. hope i can laff someday like u guys seem to be doing.

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by sincity(m): 5:18pm On May 15, 2008
My own experince was a bit embarrassing to when i think of it now.
I was called for an interview in an oil and gas company. I was there early but others came in later. Then i notice something odd, i was without a suit or tie, just my everyday smart dressing. I was just fresh-out with no prior experince or tution and no such thing as suit in my wardrobe (as per Nigga) grin.
So one of the guy next to me deciedes to rub it in on my face, and asked if i was also for the interview, and he just kept on running his mouth making me feel unserious.
Anyway, i went in for the interview and i was able to defeat all 5 in the panel. I was later call for medicals and somewhere along the way the trial went cold and one thing lead to another and i didn't end up getting the job. cry

Nigerian Politricks in companies. angry

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by savanaha: 5:29pm On May 15, 2008
I had an interview and I forgot what time it was so I went super early after 15 mins the receptionist told me that it was actually scheduled for a later time. Then when the interviewer asked if I had a question I said no. I felt so stupid because I practiced what I would ask as my question and then I got too shy to ask it.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 5:10am On May 16, 2008
my was sometime late last year when i was seriously on the job hunt. then i used to apply for all and every jobs, just trying to build up my job search skills/experience. it was a marketing job for a real estate firm in Abuja. had an ear ache that day and i was hardly prepared for the interview. worse still i wasted a lot of money as i had to go and get my credentials i forgot at home and make extra photocopies and print outs of my CV/credentials (as i said i was prepared and i didn't even ideally want the job, just wanted to build up my job seeking skills).

show time and i walked in. blunder 1: i was rocking my seat and hitting the table and had to be reprimanded several times over.

blunder 2: proper English evaded me and ebonics possessed me. i kept on saying you guys, you guys; instead of the company, your company (that also showed that i didn't know the company's name talk less of anything substantial about them).

blunder 3: i was stuttering left right and center

off course i didn't get the job. it's all past now sha, I'm employed. one advice I'll give job seekers is to almost be grounded about your course of study, the position you applied for and the company. cheers.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by MAYSAMUEL(m): 1:02pm On May 16, 2008
getting rid of consulting firms
aw can we get rid of all this job consulting firms?
they are suckers, i even learnt some bargain with prospective job seekers on how to share the salary if opportune to get employment thru them, this is alarming.
where do we go from here? this country is getting worse day in day out.
I will like this blog to post articles destroying the images of this firms to their customers i.e big governmental and non governmental  organisations. They should conduct test and interviews internally as the case was before now and put thieves like estherbrkthru, primsav and co, out of businesses.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by cascade: 5:02pm On May 16, 2008
waoh, poor you!we all learnt .
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Agbo2(m): 2:46pm On May 19, 2008
I was the last to appear before the panel and at the end, I need no priest to tell me the panel was really impressed.
that got into my head and in the course of pay negotiation, I insisted on a 150% increase over my current pay.
HOD of the dept I was to join came up offered a 100% increase, I bluntly refused and told the them not to bother calling if my demand cannot be met.
After stepping out I realised how stupid av been.

4 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by speak2me: 3:21pm On May 20, 2008
;d
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by mimi44: 2:22pm On May 21, 2008
Same thing happened to me when i went for GLO interview
They were impressed by my looks and qualification even when i got there late
But over confidence and the cash killed me.
I even checked out the others invited and i told myself Piece of cake then i just mess up

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by ijeuzo: 10:55am On May 22, 2008
cheesy I had similar experince when i went for a interview, i was shaking within me. a question was ask what is the past tense of undertake out of fear i answer under-went. bro & sis i maintained eye contact with the interviewer. He repeated the question i answer the same thing. he score me 4 , i came out laughing at myself. what i know i could not answer again because of fear.

4 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by obumslow: 2:03pm On May 22, 2008
Like that. Pls share more experiences 'cos I'm yet to get into a good one
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by jamah(m): 11:34pm On May 28, 2008
Jamco your response was frigging hilarious!!! Thank God i opened this thread. I have learnt a great deal. Now i know what to avoid in an interview. Thanks yall. keep posting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Royce29: 8:22am On May 30, 2008
danke, for the tips, the oversized different colour suit is a real classic.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by cashoggy(f): 4:48pm On May 30, 2008
abatcha (m)
abuja nigeri

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
''Believe me am a very bold person and am use to presentation before crowds''

THE GRAMMER TOO.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@abatcha, Do you know you also goofed? Grammar is not spelt GRAMMER wink

My own experience was when I did 'follow-follow' and reduced my age, having forgotten that the NYSC Exception Certificate I held had my real age boldly written on it shocked shocked. Everything seemed to be going on well until one of them noticed I was 3yrs younger on my CV embarassed. My attention was drawn to it and I did a mental calculation and refused to be cornered. I pretended not to be aware and blamed it on the business center that typed the CV for me. It was very obvious I lied but I think it was my boldness that saved me (and of course I was the only candidate and they needed someone fast). I got the job! kiss kiss kiss kiss grin

Lesson: If you must tamper with your age to get a job make sure all the supporting documents have the same age on them. It could be embarrassing when caught embarassed and you may not be as lucky as I was wink

3 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by meggy11: 11:08am On Jun 02, 2008
i have been seeing this thread and have not bothered to look at it .well i just did and i am loving it.pls share more for me to learn more.i have learnt some already 10x.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by annoited(m): 10:19am On Jun 03, 2008
stare + smile means doom without smile signifies +ve for u.

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by omije: 10:50am On Jun 03, 2008
God bless nairalanders.
so cool 2 share experiences, laugh over it N LEARN from d mistake of others.
I learnt from it n i'm happi others learnt 2.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by omije: 9:59am On Jun 04, 2008
Dear friend,
I have been living with the woman I love since december 2007.
I love her so much an we desire to get married. the problem is that my brothers do not like her staying with me. I have tried everything within my power to make them realise that I love her and that the place she was staying befor , has been destroyed by flood.
and that she cannot go back to her home which is very far from her present place of work.
Her mother is the only one who knows about her staying with me. As for her father, He is presently a pastor and a police man.
He is aware that her daughter is staying with somene but was told that it is her female friend.
I am presently open hearted for advice on what to do. I really need councel
Friday
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kubrat(f): 8:37pm On Jun 04, 2008
Mine was too bad, it was wt UBA and my first . The panel members were up to ten that i lost my composure , wasnt expecting their number. I just walked in and sat down so fast in front of them without them asking me to and felt very foolish when the lady among them looked at me .It was just as if am being pursued . The learning point here is that one should be as relaxed as possible. you can even try the breath in , breath out stuff ,just be relaxed and composed. Since the incident, any time i find my self in front of a panel the consolating statement im my head is always - Afterall they are not God , is either i get the job or get out .

8 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Ukpekeson(m): 4:10pm On Jun 07, 2008
SO MUCH TO LEARN,

CHEERS, grin

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Odum: 9:15pm On Jun 08, 2008
There are openings for EXTRAORDINARILY INNOVATIVE Mechanical and Electrical Engineers in a New Project in Nigeria’s Aviation Industry.
Criteria:
1. A good first degree from a recognized University
2. NYSC + 2 years working experience (Engineering)
3. Excellent communication and people skills
4. High Emotional Intelligence and willingness to learn

Send a copy of your resume/CV to extraordinarilyinnovative@gmail.com on or before Friday 13th June 2008
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by tunanpa: 10:36am On Jun 10, 2008
what a question!
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by edymario: 12:13pm On Jun 10, 2008
I suggest the interviewer might be contemplating these two things: " I think this person got the qualities we need" or he might be contemplating: " I think this punkass need to be thrown out of the window"

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by tunanpa: 12:24pm On Jun 10, 2008
My interview expirience was as nauty as babree's if not worst.i was never told any ettiquete or brief about interview,i have never been interviewd or called up for any.At about 8:00pm,late at night i received a call from a lady asking me to come for an interview at intercontinental bank plc.Though i was surpose to travel on the next day,but i had to differ the journey.The interview has to start for 1:00pm and i got there exactly 1:00pm,the interview started as schedulled.i was called on when got to my turn.

First Fork up:I entered with my two hands in my pocket

Second fork up:After greeting the panel,i sat down without permission

Third Fork up:Imidiately i was  asked to stand up and walked out,asked to come in properly and sit permitted.

This was where i knew my chances of securing the job is very very slim.guess what,i lost it.

3 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kachikapor(m): 7:13pm On Jun 11, 2008
y'all got me really laughing my head off! I must say that this thread is quite hilarious, I wish I had an embarrasing moment, but thankfully I don't! I got my job from the first interview I attended! No pretense, just God at work. But I know I've still learnt from all of you, You never know when complacency will set in.

The dude about the oversized suit, no need to go job-hunting, Nollywood is calling for you grin

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by shewun001: 12:05pm On Jun 12, 2008
I think this is one of the most important mail trails on Nairaland as everyone can learn one thing or the other.

I had been at interviews where i knew someone or the other except for divine intervention, wil never get the job.

A BANK JOB,
A guy came in with a short sleeved shirt with minimal rumple with an excuse that he was coming all the way fron the east.He even asked me if the shirt were nice enough, I just thought the guy must be crazy,

Of course he failed.Dressing in the banking industry is very key, Dress to Kill for interviews in Banks.

I think it is gross irresponsibility on the part of someone who needs a job to do something that would make your interviewer say in his or her mind that no matter the skill this person has, we will not hire him/her.

Another story i heard is that of a lady whom was invited for an interview by a firm in Ikoyi.The Gateman told her she cannot go in that he was told not to allow anyone shabbily dressed come in as in there awaits bigger embarassment. She called the contact she had and was told that for the kind of pay they offer they need smart and well dressed people.

Some things are key, Dressing, comportment,and my style, i just have fun,

All the best buddies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by teejay21(m): 6:38pm On Jun 12, 2008
Dear Alljobbers,
Sorry guys, this might sound off topic but i just need to pass this message across and i dont kno how to post messages.
So if u are qualified or kno anyone who is pls pass this across.
Cuxheaven Investment Nig. Ltd is a new investment company and we require the services a RECEPTIONIST.

Qualifications and Requirements:

1. Must be female.
2.Must be an OND holder.
3. She MUST be PROFICIENT in the use of microsoft excel, word, powerpoint and
4. She MUST be between 20 - 25 yrs
5.She MUST have very good typing skills
6.She must be articulate, speaks fluent englishand good looking.
7.Must reside around Ketu, Ojota or Ikeja axis.

If you are interested of or know someone who fits the profile, please send your cv to tshofile@yahoo.com or call Niyi on 0803 759 8959 on or before Wednesday 18th June 2008.
We will get there.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by barry06(m): 12:36pm On Jun 13, 2008
pro-long stare without words simply means you are LOST,TENSED - UP, NOT SMART, and EMBARRASMENT to yourself as well as the interviewer.

PLS. as a rule.: ALWAYS HAVE/KNOW WHAT TO SAY. if you are asked a question thats beyond you. saywhat you think is the answer. if they are not okay, then be bold to tell them that you are eager to learn and be corrected. and politely ask them for the right answer. it shows that you are open-minded,and possess curiousity to learn.

for more tips, write

amechi.charles@yahoo.com
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kg(f): 11:31am On Jun 14, 2008
Nice post, brief, funny and informative.

But 'JOB' is not a do or die affair anyway, if you won't be allowed to come on stage- set your own stage!
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by bigvic28: 4:21pm On Jun 15, 2008
smileyYes did ,experience such an embarrasing lecture, when i was invited to one of this polytechnic in the west for a lecture,have a number of student listening to me, i heard a querrl with a friend that morning before going to the lecture i forgot that i suppose to switch off my cell phones because i may have an emergency calls because the issue, to my surprise he called at the middle of the lecture and the phone went automatically into loudspeaker and he said you are the most terrible person i have ever met,my stuudent started laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wht a bad day,

3 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by cashpele(m): 2:14pm On Jun 19, 2008
nice one guy,
but i think there is another way of been employ without an interview through blogging,

Google Adsense is one of the easiest ways to make money on the internet without hassles of having to convince and confuse a prospect to become a customer by doling out his/her hard- earned cash. NO START UP CAPITAL, NO HIDDEN FEES, AND NO PROFESSIONAL SKILLS NEEDED ANYONE CAN DO IT.

Just use what you love doing to earn money for you through blogging on net

EMPLOY YOURSELF HERE www.bloggingonnet..com , www.businessworldopportunity..com .and gain financial freedom…….

SEE YOU ON TOP…,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

N-Power Registration 2020: Share Your Experience / Recruitment For INEC Adhoc Staff For 2019 Election Thread / QUESTIONS: GMAT,JOB APTITUDE TEST,GOVERNMENT JOB TEST &(5) COVER LETTER SAMPLES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.