Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... (38824 Views)

Tennis: ATP World Tour Finals 2011 / Tennis: ATP World Tour Finals 2010 / Tennis: ATP Tournaments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by ekytessy(f): 2:42pm On May 26, 2013
Roger and serena all d way, can't stop loving roger till he retires. Go roger go roger, go serena go serena.

3 Likes

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Geesunny: 2:43pm On May 26, 2013
Thanks mystika for a nice update and analysis.Its good to know we still have some reasonable level of Tennis followership in Nigeria. At times like this i can't but remember a great tennis analyst, late Elder Ayo Ositelu. However,'show goes on'. I look forward to a great time in Roland garros.

Rafa Nadal is back- with a vengeance too.
He has timed his return to perfection; Few will bet against the Spaniard picking up title number eight at Roland Garros- in just nine attempts.

The natural question arises: Who can dethrone Rafa? And there’s a pretty straightforward answer to that- Novak Djokovic.

Roger Federer played some good tennis in Rome, but the manner of his capitulation against Nadal makes him an unlikely pick for the title. I have never really given this dude much credit, he came from a different era of tennis from the Djokers and the Rafas, and he has been the one that has had to adjust the hardest to the present era tennis. He is a great player however in his twilight, most of my buddies never agree with me on this.

David Ferrer will huff and puff around the baselines, but his lack of a major offensive weapon will leave him at the mercies of the top guys in the latter stages of the competition.

Outside the top four seeds, Berdych has got one or two big wins in him in 2013, like the one against Djokovic in Rome, but to win Roland Garros, Berdych will have to string more than one or two big wins together. That is almost impossible. Then there is my boy Tsonga, love how he moves with such body weight. None of the favorites will fancy an early collision with Stanislas Wawrinka. The young generation will be spearheaded by Dimitrov and Jerzy Janowicz, and their time will come -but not now. Anderson, the South African, has been my most improved tennis player recentlty

Logic suggests that Serena should win the French Open, but logic rarely works with Serena at Roland Garros. Or how do you explain a third round loss to Katarina Srebotnik in 2008, or more alarmingly, a first round loss to Virginie Razzano last year. Not sure Serena herself can explain.

Should Williams falter again, then defending champion, Maria Sharapova (my fave by the way)will be ready to pounce but she will need to work big time on her footwork. So will Victoria Azarenka, who should be fresher than most having sat out a good part of the season because of a spate of injuries. Vika is not exactly your clay court demon, but she showed enough in Rome to suggest that she could well be a big factor in Paris.

Of the outsiders, Na Li has done nothing on clay this year, but she can never be overlooked in Grand Slams these days, Sam Stosur and her kick serves and Nadal-esque forehands will be dangerous; and Errani and Petra Kvitova can always smack a ball.I suspect Agniezka Radwanska will dissappoint in this tournament. I had long given up on Wozniacki; the babe too fall my hand. Laura Robson and Sloane Stephens, worth the watch.

So let the good times roll. Team #Djokovic and #Tsonga by the way. For the Ladies #Sharapova #Li Na #Errani

1st round matches to look out for

Wozniaki v Robson

Berdych v Monfils
Simon v Hewitt
Paire v Baghdatis

[/quote]
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by ekytessy(f): 2:49pm On May 26, 2013
Waiting for BIGBROTHER AFRICA to nite, can't wait to see our nija representative. Yeaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by ZACHIE: 3:01pm On May 26, 2013
Simon vs Hewitt is already a thriller.
5sets game
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Egbagirl(f): 3:02pm On May 26, 2013
Okay!!! Let's do this #TeamRF #TeamWillams

2 Likes

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 4:52pm On May 26, 2013
Team Roger and Serena cool
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by dammybravo(m): 5:09pm On May 26, 2013
The italian Errani defeated Arantxa Rux 6-1 6-2

Ivanovic beats Martic 6-1 3-6 6-3

Raonic won 6-2 6-1 4-6 6-4

Serena defeated Tatishvili 6-0 6-1

After 2sets down Simon came back to beat Hewitt 3-6 1-6 6-4 6-1 7-5

Maestro Roger Federer kickstart his Roland Garros by beating pablo Carreno busta 6-2 6-2 6-3

19 year old monica puig defeated 11th seed petrova 3-6 7-5 6-4
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 5:23pm On May 26, 2013
Up Serena!! cheesy
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by vandarsar(m): 5:49pm On May 26, 2013
Ferrer and almagro are better threat to Rafa than Novak.

dammybravo: The two guys I think might cause an upset are Dimitrov and Nishikori....And for my favorite, I've and will always be a ROGER FEDERER fan at any tournament...
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by dominique(f): 6:00pm On May 26, 2013
Right now Venus is losing against ursula (Agnesia's sister?) radwanska game is 4-5. She's starting looking to look tired o. We don't want first round exit o.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by dominique(f): 6:03pm On May 26, 2013
vandarsar: Ferrer and almagro are better threat to Rafa than Novak.

Nobody's a threat to rafa on clay cool
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 6:05pm On May 26, 2013
dominique: Right now Venus is losing against ursula (Agnesia's sister?) radwanska game is 4-5. She's starting looking to look tired o. We don't want first round exit o.
Abi oooo
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Thorpe85(f): 6:15pm On May 26, 2013

ferrer has 19-4 losing record against Nadal, almagro has 10-0 losing record against Nadal. Go figure
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by dominique(f): 6:15pm On May 26, 2013
They're on tiebreak for first set. This Ursula babe looks very energetic o. Perhaps, its time for Venus to hang her racket
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by dammybravo(m): 6:17pm On May 26, 2013
Venus made the french open final back in 2002, she only lost once in the first round of roland garros, she is playing the younger sister of aga radwanska right now...

David Ferrer won his match 6-4 6-3 6-4
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by dominique(f): 6:25pm On May 26, 2013
She just lost first set 7-6 cry. She put up a good fight tho especially in the tie break.

1 Like

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by dammybravo(m): 9:19pm On May 26, 2013
So Finally for the final match of the day Urszula Radwanska sent Venus Williams packing by 7-6 6-7 6-4....the last time venus lost in the first round of french open was back in 2001
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Santino1(m): 9:38pm On May 26, 2013
Geesunny: Thanks mystika for a nice update and analysis.Its good to know we still have some reasonable level of Tennis followership in Nigeria. At times like this i can't but remember a great tennis analyst, late Elder Ayo Ositelu. However,'show goes on'. I look forward to a great time in Roland garros.

Rafa Nadal is back- with a vengeance too.
He has timed his return to perfection; Few will bet against the Spaniard picking up title number eight at Roland Garros- in just nine attempts.

The natural question arises: Who can dethrone Rafa? And there’s a pretty straightforward answer to that- Novak Djokovic.

Roger Federer played some good tennis in Rome, but the manner of his capitulation against Nadal makes him an unlikely pick for the title. I have never really given this dude much credit, he came from a different era of tennis from the Djokers and the Rafas, and he has been the one that has had to adjust the hardest to the present era tennis. He is a great player however in his twilight, most of my buddies never agree with me on this.

David Ferrer will huff and puff around the baselines, but his lack of a major offensive weapon will leave him at the mercies of the top guys in the latter stages of the competition.

Outside the top four seeds, Berdych has got one or two big wins in him in 2013, like the one against Djokovic in Rome, but to win Roland Garros, Berdych will have to string more than one or two big wins together. That is almost impossible. Then there is my boy Tsonga, love how he moves with such body weight. None of the favorites will fancy an early collision with Stanislas Wawrinka. The young generation will be spearheaded by Dimitrov and Jerzy Janowicz, and their time will come -but not now. Anderson, the South African, has been my most improved tennis player recentlty

Logic suggests that Serena should win the French Open, but logic rarely works with Serena at Roland Garros. Or how do you explain a third round loss to Katarina Srebotnik in 2008, or more alarmingly, a first round loss to Virginie Razzano last year. Not sure Serena herself can explain.

Should Williams falter again, then defending champion, Maria Sharapova (my fave by the way)will be ready to pounce but she will need to work big time on her footwork. So will Victoria Azarenka, who should be fresher than most having sat out a good part of the season because of a spate of injuries. Vika is not exactly your clay court demon, but she showed enough in Rome to suggest that she could well be a big factor in Paris.

Of the outsiders, Na Li has done nothing on clay this year, but she can never be overlooked in Grand Slams these days, Sam Stosur and her kick serves and Nadal-esque forehands will be dangerous; and Errani and Petra Kvitova can always smack a ball.I suspect Agniezka Radwanska will dissappoint in this tournament. I had long given up on Wozniacki; the babe too fall my hand. Laura Robson and Sloane Stephens, worth the watch.

So let the good times roll. Team #Djokovic and #Tsonga by the way. For the Ladies #Sharapova #Li Na #Errani

1st round matches to look out for

Wozniaki v Robson

Berdych v Monfils
Simon v Hewitt
Paire v Baghdatis

Nice analysis by the way. The only part I disagree with is the Vika part...Vika is a threat to anyone, anyday and on any surface. Her return from injury has been pretty phenomenal. Take out Rena, she and sugarpova will win the next 10 slams
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by dominique(f): 9:40pm On May 26, 2013
dammybravo: So Finally for the final match of the day Urszula Radwanska sent Venus Williams packing by 7-6 6-7 6-4....the last time venus lost in the first round of french open was back in 2001

Sad cry. I actually started rooting for Ursula at some point. Venus's serves were so darn weak, her tactics were poor and she looked tired for most of the match. I think its high time she retired sad
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Santino1(m): 9:40pm On May 26, 2013

Did someone actually make this comment? shaking my damn head
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Santino1(m): 9:42pm On May 26, 2013
dominique:

Sad cry. I actually started rooting for Ursula at some point. Venus's serves were so darn weak, her tactics were poor and she looked tired for most of the match. I think its high time she retired sad

Make she go retire abeg, SS don replace her
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by mystikal(m): 9:42pm On May 26, 2013
Venus exit is no surprise. She is at the end of her wonderful career.

Some of u bashing Fedex should give the old man some respect na, he earned some.

Thanks Geesunny
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by larayat(f): 9:48pm On May 26, 2013
I luv Roland Garros...serena n nadal my fav.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by fredoooooo: 9:52pm On May 26, 2013
biolabee:

fredoo... the badooo... we meet again

sure bros , which camp you dey o

#team serena williams and vika plus anybody that beat sharapoopoo

2 Likes

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Santino1(m): 9:54pm On May 26, 2013
fredoooooo:

We don see you, oya park well.. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by biolabee(m): 9:56pm On May 26, 2013
fredoooooo:

me i an pro or anti-serena (they don try we need new faces abeg) but defo team nole (to complete his first career slam)
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by mystikal(m): 10:03pm On May 26, 2013
Masha haters dem don come. ℓ☺ℓ . This time she go wear better footwear trust me grin
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by fredoooooo: 10:08pm On May 26, 2013
venus now 5th first round exit in paris shocked shocked .
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by fredoooooo: 10:09pm On May 26, 2013
Santino1:

We don see you, oya park well.. grin grin grin grin grin

bros !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by fredoooooo: 10:15pm On May 26, 2013
mystikal: Masha haters dem don come. ℓ☺ℓ . This time she go wear better footwear trust me grin

more of footwalk than footwear .if she like , let her wear bow wow footwear in the film "like mike" , she cant win it this year grin
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by fredoooooo: 10:17pm On May 26, 2013
biolabee:

me i an pro or anti-serena (they don try we need new faces abeg) but defo team nole (to complete his first career slam)

the we are going to renew our rivalry for tennis thread , you know how much i love your footie team grin grin

women-- serena williams and vika
men team-- nadal and baba ibeji ( fed)
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by fredoooooo: 10:18pm On May 26, 2013
Egba girl: Okay!!! Let's do this #TeamRF #TeamWillams

we go pop champagne this year wink grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (45) (Reply)

2022-23 Football Kits: Barcelona, Real Madrid, Arsenal & All The Top Teams' Jers / Amaju Pinnick Spotted In Qatar Watching Brazil Vs Switzerland, Blasted By Fans / Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.