Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,431 members, 7,800,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:42 AM

Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? (13106 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats / Snap And Upload Your Pet's Picture Here. Its That Simple / 13-year-old Keeps Python As Pet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nobody: 7:17am On May 23, 2013
Visit any city in Nigeria and you will see pets especially dogs wandering about unkempt and most times diseased with injuries on their bodies.some of the owners of these pets dont care for them and most time if they are female only have them to give birth and sell off the puppies.I have never been outside Nigeria but from what i see on TV,told by a Pen friend and read on the internet animals as a whole are to be treated with respect and care.why not in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by simplyme3(f): 7:46am On May 23, 2013
That a few people leave their pets to wander around unkept doesn't mean you should generalise it as a Nigerian thing.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nobody: 8:38am On May 23, 2013
Like i said Ma,i have never been outside Nigeria and will you agree with me that 70% of pets in Nigeria are unkempt.its a baseless assumption though.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by vallycan: 8:46am On May 23, 2013
Dog as a whole wasn't really meant to b kept as pet,buh only on a security purpose,unlike ma plaz it a best sourse of meat so aw can be dat beautifully kept( dis is in a case of a local dogs) if u want a pet to keep why not choose goat an chicken as pets,bath dem an cloth dem as well: lolz grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Freiburger(m): 9:19am On May 23, 2013
I dont hate dogs, based on what i saw dogs did to other kids as a child growing up in Nigeria, having one as a pet is no topic.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Lilimax(f): 10:49am On May 23, 2013
nah, I dislike dogs mostly the Ekuke types tongue tongue
Ekuke ones are the local dog that eats human dungs shocked shocked
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nobody: 11:22am On May 23, 2013
A least you see the dogs wondering around... cheesy

The cats are no where to be found! Either dead or comes out at night to look for food.

Naija! Toughest place to live in the world for both human and animals grin

Even tough for mosquitoes! grin

22 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by dasparrow: 2:48pm On May 23, 2013
Vikin: A least you see the dogs wondering around... cheesy

The cats are no where to be found! Either dead or comes out at night to look for food.

Naija! Toughest place to live in the world for both human and animals grin

Even tough for mosquitoes! grin

LOL, so true. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by dasparrow: 3:43pm On May 23, 2013
Ogar.monday:
Visit any city in Nigeria and you will see pets especially dogs wandering about unkempt and most times diseased with injuries on their bodies.some of the owners of these pets dont care for them and most time if they are female only have them to give birth and sell off the puppies.I have never been outside Nigeria but from what i see on TV,told by a Pen friend and read on the internet animals as a whole are to be treated with respect and care.why not in Nigeria?

Your observation is accurate. The average Nigerian has no respect for the life of an animal if we are to look at the big picture. Go to our zoos here in Nigeria and see how sick looking the animals there are. Heck, do we even have any respect for the life of a human being? It is only in Nigeria that one will attempt to cross the road or street, the driver sees you coming yet will keep his foot on the accelerator and ready to run one over!

Go and see how animals especially dogs are making a positive impact in advanced nations. Dogs help with search and rescue efforts in the event of a natural or man made disaster. Take for instance 9/11 terrorist attacks on the world trade center in New York. You need to see police dogs - German shepherds to be precise - helping to find victims buried under the rubble. You need to see dogs helping to sniff out cocaine and other hard drugs at international airports. You need to see dogs sniffing and detecting explosives.

Other dogs are used by medical laboratory scientists to sniff and detect cancer. I know several dog owners in the western world and even Asia who will tell you that their dogs saved their lives or the lives of their loved ones in one way or another. I remember reading in a magazine about a lady who had a cancerous tumor growing close to her ear and her dog kept sniffing that specific ear and barking and licking the spot. She finally went to her doctor and was diagnosed with cancer but because it was detected early thanks to her dog, she was able to receive necessary treatment and has been cancer free since.

Other dogs are trained to be therapy dogs whereby they are certified to go to hospitals to bring comfort to the sick or to hospices to bring some comfort to the dying or to the nursing homes to bring a smile on the faces of the elderly people. Many elderly people living in nursing homes have not seen their human adult children for months or even years even though some of their adult kids live in the same state, city or town as they do. These therapy dogs bring some companionship to these elderly folks.

Lastly, many dogs also serve as security guards for families and single people who live alone. I have much respect for dogs and cherish them a great deal. This is why it hurts me a lot when I see the way dogs are eaten in some parts of Nigeria or abandoned by their owners. These dogs in Nigeria do not have the privilege of receiving veterinary care should they fall sick like their counterparts overseas. In USA, we have dog groomers who groom the dogs just like we have barber shops for men and saloon for women. There are doggie daycare facilities for busy career-minded dog owners where they can have their dogs taken care of during the day when the dog owner is not home.

There are fortune 500 companies - in other words top notch companies to work for - in the USA that will allow you bring your dog to work as long as the dog is well socialized and behaves well. Can that ever happen in Nigeria? I doubt it very much. The average Nigerian has not learnt to take good care of their children and provide them with a high quality life such as quality education, nutritious meals, a decent home to live in, access to quality healthcare, access to constant electricity and clean water, etc. What makes you think most Nigerians will take care of an animal when many Nigerians cannot afford to take care of themselves and still hold on to backward cultural beliefs and mindsets? I have spent a greater part of my life abroad and I always admire how white people generally speaking value the lives of their animals such as their dogs, cats, horses, etc. Animal rights and welfare is a big deal in advanced nations. Wish it were so here in Nigeria.

24 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 23, 2013
Lol @ desparrow, you got a point.. cheesy
But human right never succeed na animal right?

The humans are dying of hunger, dem see dog...what do you expect?

I remember when they nearly killed our dog, very big dog, cut his chain and went for a run, when he returned...he just laid in front of our house breathing a sign of death escape.

You need to see the machete cuts on his body, but he fought back and escaped!

After then, no one told him to remain in the compound even without chains.. grin

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Decelebrity(f): 5:46am On May 24, 2013
as a Muslim u er nt allowed to keep dogs,nd i dnt think goat or cow is a gud choice of pet.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nobody: 6:02am On May 24, 2013
That ya dog get human sense ooh grin . How ma'am? How baby?
Vikin: Lol @ desparrow, you got a point.. cheesy
But human right never succeed na animal right?

The humans are dying of hunger, dem see dog...what do you expect?

I remember when they nearly killed our dog, very big dog, cut his chain and went for a run, when he returned...he just laid in front of our house breathing a sign of death escape.

You need to see the machete cuts on his body, but he fought back and escaped!

After then, no one told him to remain in the compound even without chains.. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Emmyk(m): 10:22am On May 24, 2013
I like Dogs. LoL. Buh you dont expect us to keep 6 Puppies forever when our dog delivers..,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Freiburger(m): 10:49am On May 24, 2013
Emmyk: I like Dogs. LoL. Buh you dont expect us to keep 6 Puppies forever when our dog delivers..,
Teach your dogs something about child spacing. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nobody: 12:29pm On May 24, 2013
Nah, every Nigerian I know in UK hate cats far greater than anything tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by BlackPeni5: 2:10pm On May 24, 2013
I know a set of people who love dogs.

Love to eat them I mean.... grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by hiuser(m): 2:11pm On May 24, 2013
It's the apostolic reformation!@noah's ark. Worship God and people will worship!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Goldenheart(m): 2:13pm On May 24, 2013
i m a Nigerian & i love guinea pigs,

most nigerian think cats are only kept as pet by witches...

that is so so ........
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nobody: 2:13pm On May 24, 2013
Decelebrity: as a Muslim u er nt allowed to keep dogs,nd i dnt think goat or cow is a gud choice of pet.
But it's a good pet for fulanis
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by babaskool2: 2:14pm On May 24, 2013
Dear nairalanders i would be spamming Nairaland as a form of protest at a particular moderator with the 100 email addresses im about to create, the point is it makes Nairaland unbearable and as all you see is post is hidden in almost evry thread you open. Thank you
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by supaeagles(m): 2:16pm On May 24, 2013
No oh. My dog is my best friend - literally and figuratively. He does not judge me, is very loyal and protective of our space. I also have a cat - don't care that people think cats are connected to winch -craft. That, frankly is a myth from the 19th century that should have long died. My dog does squeeze face small when I'm having some cat time but such is life I say to him smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by sureteeboy(m): 2:20pm On May 24, 2013
simply_me: That a few people leave their pets to wander around unkept doesn't mean you should generalise it as a Nigerian thing.
Yeah. That is called INDUCTIVE REASONING in philosophy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 24, 2013
I love my hen "julie"

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by kcjazz(m): 2:25pm On May 24, 2013
Pets dont have a chance where people love bush meat. tongue
It is sociological and psychoological too. You think of pets when you can actually feed yourself.
Apart from security folks do not see the need for them. In other countries people keep pets as companions but we are a close knitted community.
Plus everything is based on economic development. Vets per capita is low so I wont even suggest pets until we have more practicing vets.
Bush meat feeds a lot of people
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 24, 2013
Not all Nigerians hate dogs...in fact...I love them..I consider my dogs part of my family.....These are my Dogs...A sheepdog, rottweiler...the little one is mixed....

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 2:30pm On May 24, 2013
Me i prefer Chimpanzee for pet
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by inme: 2:32pm On May 24, 2013
Person never take care of himself finish na one pet person go go dey care for
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:35pm On May 24, 2013
Ogar.monday:
Visit any city in Nigeria and you will see pets especially dogs wandering about unkempt and most times diseased with injuries on their bodies.some of the owners of these pets dont care for them and most time if they are female only have them to give birth and sell off the puppies.
Law of Taking care of Pets in Nigeria: The comfort of a pet owner ll determine the good life of a pet. Meaning, if a pet owner is living a comfortable life i.e rich, the pet ll be taken care of very well.
The owners of the pet owners that roam the streets unkepmt especially dogs probably are not that rich. You hardly see pets from rich homes roaming the streets. I know of Nigerian comedian Ali Baba. His dogs feeds better than millions of Nigerian University graduates. Why? Because he's rich. He can buy them better dog feeds & as well as good house.
I have never been outside Nigeria but from what i see on TV, told by a Pen friend and read on the internet animals as a whole are to be treated with respect and care.why not in Nigeria?[/quote]Honestly, most Nigerians care for their pets.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nobody: 2:36pm On May 24, 2013
For naija dog na meat, security or hunter
Cat na witch
Snake na devil. grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by supaeagles(m): 2:36pm On May 24, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
Not all Nigerians hate dogs...in fact...I love them..I consider my dogs part of my family.....These are my Dogs...A sheepdog, rottweiler ...the little one is mixed....

It is good to see a Rottweiler with such a calm demeanor and gets a long very well with children. .... amazing pix and thanks for sharing them.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by Nuzo1(m): 2:36pm On May 24, 2013
Not every Nigerian hate pets but majority of us do for some reasons.

1. It is very expensive to keep pets. It cost more to keep pets like dogs than to raise a human baby.

2. There are no active law enforcement agencies agaisnt pet cruelty.

3. Dog is revered in USA, but its a delicacy in some paarts of Nigeria. Cows are revered in India, but they become steaks and used for hot dogs in USA.

4. Pets bread dirts and causes diseases.

5. Most pets are dangerous. Especially to children.

6. Most Nigerians live in places that can barely contain their family....not to talk of pets. angry

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? by erictalker: 2:37pm On May 24, 2013
u never chap bellful u when take care of pet for me i prefer monkey for a pet less expensive to take care of.lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EKUKE- The Canine Outcaste / Alsatian (pure German Shepherd Pedigree For Sale) / Diary Of GSD Mating And Upcoming Pups - SOLD OUT.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.