Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:45 AM

What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? (5549 Views)

This Might Make Most Atheist Believe In God / What Will Make An Atheist Believe In God? 2 Simple Things / Do Atheist Believe Satan Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by HerexG(m): 8:29am On May 23, 2013
What does an atheist believe happens after death?
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:57am On May 23, 2013
After death, we cease to exist
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by tuagbo: 10:15am On May 23, 2013
Nothing happens after death except our lives ending
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Danyell(m): 10:30am On May 23, 2013
THE ADVENTURES OF DANYELL AND WHITE JESUS
Danyell: O great saviour, what do atheists believe happens to them at death?
White Jesus: Those fools that refuse to believe in me and my father!! they think they will go into a state of non-existence but they are in for a rude awakening.
Danyell: How rude exactly?
White Jesus: Let them die first!
** evil smile **

1 Like

Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by manmustwac(m): 10:45am On May 23, 2013
You came from dust you return to dust
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by wiegraf: 11:05am On May 23, 2013
Remember what it was like before you were born? Or when you sleep, sleep without dreaming ie.

You won't be able to worry about it, so don't worry about it. Just try to make sure you left the living a better world (imo)
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by AtheistD(m): 11:55am On May 23, 2013
I assure you, no 72 virgins or golden gates in the sky wink
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:17pm On May 23, 2013
Worms, just worms eating yo sh.it and turning you into useful manure, thus balance is restored.
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by HerexG(m): 11:14pm On May 24, 2013
I will start by quoting this scripture you all know John 3:16 " for God so love the world
That He gave his only begotten
Son, that whosoever belives
In Him should perish but
Have eternal life
A life that He promises here is not the normal but yntrue believe so many have that after they die being Christ they will gravitate to heaven. This is absolutely wrong ideology, it is only but a few people that will go heaven which the bible clearly stated and they are those who haven't tasted sin before. Now the next question would then be " where would they that are in go or be, the bible stated that God would wipe away this old earth and creat a new world where onlu the righteous will live an everlasting life then the unbelivers would be cast into their doom.

Now going back to my question "what happens to the athiest after death"
And most of your reply was literally nothing . But look if you ask me this same question as a Christian I won't tell you nothing because I have a great promise of eternity and bliss, so which would you better stick to, nothing or something? And what does it cost me be to be a Christian the answer is absolutely nothing but making Christ the Lord of my life. Make the right choice now, so you don't end up with nothing. God bless you!

1 Like

Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by manmustwac(m): 12:41am On May 25, 2013
^^^Please explain to me how you can use your five senses to determine what happens after death? Can you you use the same five senses to say what was happening 100 years before you existed? Or why you happened to be born into a Nigerian family that happens to practice christianity instead of a sunni damily that practices islam in Iraq or an Indian family that practices HindU in India or a Thai family that practices Buddhism in Thailand or a Danish family that happens to be atheists in Denmaek?

1 Like

Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Vansnickers: 1:37am On May 25, 2013
Atheist:-D:

Really??!! NO Virgins??!!!

Freak!!!! I'm so mind-blown!!

I've been looking forward to that. Damn!

1 Like

Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Nobody: 6:18am On May 25, 2013
FOLYKAZE: After death, we cease to exist

...and ooman's flying pig revealed this to you?
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Nobody: 6:22am On May 25, 2013
manmustwac: You came from dust you return to dust

Is that what you believe as an Atheist?
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Nobody: 6:25am On May 25, 2013
Atheist:-D:

You assure?? On what basis do you give this assurance?

This definitely has to do with the flying spaghetti monster...
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Nobody: 6:29am On May 25, 2013
manmustwac: ^^^Please explain to me how you can use your five senses to determine what happens after death? Can you you use the same five senses to say what was happening 100 years before you existed? Or why you happened to be born into a Nigerian family that happens to practice christianity instead of a sunni damily that practices islam in Iraq or an Indian family that practices HindU in India or a Thai family that practices Buddhism in Thailand or a Danish family that happens to be atheists in Denmaek?

...and what exactly make you believe that everything must be experienced via the 5 senses?
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by cyrexx: 6:31am On May 25, 2013
why do religions empasise death and imaginary life after death so much, when so much can be done with our precious life before death?

1 Like

Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by UyiIredia(m): 6:32am On May 25, 2013
There is no clear, indubitable evidence that heaven exists. However, the thought of dying without ever living again is saddens me, sometimes to the point of depression.

2 Likes

Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Nobody: 6:42am On May 25, 2013
cyrexx: why do religions empasise death and imaginary life after death so much, when so much can be done with our precious life before death?

Which religion emphsises the life after at the expense of the current life?

And what gives you the impression that the life after is immaginary?
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by cyrexx: 7:10am On May 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Abrahamic religions,namely Christianity and Islam. Except you are not a devout adherent of these religions will you not value afterlife more than the present life.

And what gives you the impression that the life after is imaginary?

millions of people have died over the course of human history, there is no single credible evidence that they continue to exist anywhere else in any universe. there is no single proof that human consciousness survives the death and decay of the brain.
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Nobody: 7:21am On May 25, 2013
cyrexx:

Abrahamic religions,namely Christianity and Islam.

If you say Christianity in the light of your previous post then you really know little about what Christianity teaches with respect to the life we live now...a Christian is expected to work harder than anyone else...

cyrexx:
Except you are not a devout adherent of these religions will you not value afterlife more than the present life.

Placing value on something is very different from neglecting other things...I value my dog more than my car but does this mean that I focus on my dog at the expense of my car?

cyrexx:
millions of people have died over the course of human history, there is no single credible evidence that they continue to exist anywhere else in any universe. there is no single proof that human consciousness survives the death and decay of the brain.

Nah men...this is where you guys will continue missing it...lack of scientific evidence now is not the same as lack of evidence for all time...

A lot of things cannot be proving via the scientific process but this does not mean that they are less of the truth...
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by cyrexx: 7:41am On May 25, 2013
striktlymi:

If you say Christianity in the light of your previous post then you really know little about what Christianity teaches with respect to the life we live now...a Christian is expected to work harder than anyone else...

so what does your religion implies when it teaches that "what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and lose his soul"?

Placing value on something is very different from neglecting other things...I value my dog more than my car but does this mean that I focus on my dog at the expense of my car?

Your dog and your car are real tangible things that needs no imaginations before you can relate to them. You can't say the same for religious concept of afterlife. A perfect scam is the one that promise to reward you when you are dead and become non-existent. Religion is a big time fraud.

Nah men...this is where you guys will continue missing it...lack of scientific evidence now is not the same as lack of evidence for all time...

A lot of things cannot be proving via the scientific process but this does not mean that they are less of the truth...

There's ooman's flying watching over you day and night. He will reward and judge you when you are dead. You have to believe this because it is true even though you cannot prove it scientifically. How does that sound?

That's exactly the way religious claims sound to the non-religious.
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by cyrexx: 7:52am On May 25, 2013
Uyi Iredia: There is no clear, indubitable evidence that heaven exists. However, the thought of dying without ever living again is saddens me, sometimes to the point of depression.

My dear, you don't have to be depressed by this. If anything it should motivate you to maximise this only life you've got. This is what motivates me. I prefer to face reality and make the best of what I have rather than comfort myself with imaginary fantasy.
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Nobody: 7:57am On May 25, 2013
cyrexx:

so what does your religion implies when it teaches that "what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and lose his soul"?

The message here is very simple really: do not neglect your soul because of material pursuit. As we live our life here on Earth, we should also take care of our souls too. That part of sacred scriptures is not asking Christians to be lazy...

cyrexx:
Your dog and your car are real tangible things that needs no imaginations before you can relate to them.

We are not talking about what is tangible or what we can relate with physically...the bone of contention is what we place 'more value' on...I quote you directly: "will you not value afterlife more than the present life"...

cyrexx:
You can't say the same for religious concept of afterlife. A perfect scam is the one that promise to reward you when you are dead and become non-existent. Religion is a big time fraud.

This is just your opinion...I can also choose to give mine.

cyrexx:
There's ooman's flying watching over you day and night. He will reward and judge you when you are dead. You have to believe this because it is true even though you cannot prove it scientifically. How does that sound?

It sounds like ooman...and quite frankly it also sounds like one who believes that there is no room for further discoveries...that is not the way of science...

cyrexx:
That's exactly the way religious claims sound to the non-religious.

I am aware of how it sounds to the Atheist. But you forget that when you guys say that nothing happens after death, you also make a claim of your own which you have no proof for.
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Mranony: 8:08am On May 25, 2013
wiegraf: Remember what it was like before you were born? Or when you sleep, sleep without dreaming ie.

You won't be able to worry about it, so don't worry about it. Just try to make sure you left the living a better world (imo)
Why should I try to make the world a better place? Why not squeeze out every bit of sensual enjoyment I can before I go back to sleep?
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by UyiIredia(m): 8:13am On May 25, 2013
manmustwac: Please respond to my BBM request. Thanks.
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by UyiIredia(m): 8:16am On May 25, 2013
cyrexx:

My dear, you don't have to be depressed by this. If anything it should motivate you to maximise this only life you've got. This is what motivates me. I prefer to face reality and make the best of what I have rather than comfort myself with imaginary fantasy.

I hear. However, I still hope there is an afterlife.
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Mranony: 8:18am On May 25, 2013
manmustwac: ^^^Please explain to me how you can use your five senses to determine what happens after death? Can you you use the same five senses to say what was happening 100 years before you existed? Or why you happened to be born into a Nigerian family that happens to practice christianity instead of a sunni damily that practices islam in Iraq or an Indian family that practices HindU in India or a Thai family that practices Buddhism in Thailand or a Danish family that happens to be atheists in Denmaek?
The false assumption that your 5 senses are your only means of accessing consciousness.
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Mranony: 8:27am On May 25, 2013
Uyi Iredia: There is no clear, indubitable evidence that heaven exists. However, the thought of dying without ever living again is saddens me, sometimes to the point of depression.
“The Christian says, 'Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or to be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that country and to help others to do the same. . . .

. . . .A man's physical hunger does not prove that man will get any bread; he may die of starvation on a raft in the Atlantic. But surely a man's hunger does prove that he comes of a race which repairs its body by eating and inhabits a world where eatable substances exist. In the same way, though I do not believe (I wish I did) that my desire for Paradise proves that I shall enjoy it, I think it a pretty good indication that such a thing exists and that some men will.”

-C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

1 Like

Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by mazaje(m): 8:49am On May 25, 2013
Mr anony:
Why should I try to make the world a better place? Why not squeeze out every bit of sensual enjoyment I can before I go back to sleep?

Why do you keep asking these silly questions. . .Why must he not try to make this world a better place?. . .You can squeeze out every bit of sensual enjoyment and still make this world a better place. . .
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by mazaje(m): 8:56am On May 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Christianity. . .Some of you guys happily sing this world is not my home am going back to meet god. . .You claim you are not part of this world, bla bla bla. . .heaven is your home, etc. . .

And what gives you the impression that the life after is immaginary?

because the after life is just an idea that was created out of thin air by other men and their superstitions. Do you believe in reincarnation?. . .About a billion Hindus and people of other religions also believe in it. Is reincanation real?. . .Can you disprove that people reincarnate?. . .These things are just ideas, that people formed. They have nothing to do with reality. The only life we have is this present one. Any body that talks about life after death is only sharing an imaginary idea and is NEVER talking about any reality. . .
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by mazaje(m): 8:59am On May 25, 2013
striktlymi:
I am aware of how it sounds to the Atheist. But you forget that when you guys say that nothing happens after death, you also make a claim of your own which you have no proof for.

Consiousness can not exist without the brain in humans, once the brain dies, everything dies with it. . .Human consiousness has never been shown to survive bodily death. . .I asked and will ask again. . .Can you disproof reincarnation?. . .Do you have any evidence to show that people do not reincarnate into animals,plants, insects etc after they die?. . .
Re: What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? by Nobody: 9:05am On May 25, 2013
mazaje:

Christianity. . .Some of you guys happily sing this world is not my home am going back to meet god. . .You claim you are not part of this world, bla bla bla. . .heaven is your home, etc. . .

Striktlymi lives in Ghana...

Striktlymi comes from Nigeria...

Striktlymi longs to be home in Nigeria...

Striktlymi therefore is lazy in Ghana...

Do you see the folly of your argument?

mazaje:
because the after life is just an idea that was created out of thin air by other men and their superstitions.

...and where is your proof that there is no life after?

mazaje:
Do you believe in reincarnation?. . .About a billion Hindus and people of other religions also believe in it. Is reincanation real?. . .Can you disprove that people reincarnate?. . .These things are just ideas, that people formed. They have nothing to do with reality. The only life we have is this present one. Any body that talks about life after death is only sharing an imaginary idea and is NEVER talking about any reality. . .

The above is very empty because you only replaced one claim with another...

Mazaje does not believe the claims of others but wants people to accept his claims as the truth?... Disbelieving one claim does not make another claim correct.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Beware: Spacetacular Is Felixomor / Rev Funke Adejumo: It Is Wrong For A Female To Preach In Church / Many Lies Of Redeem's Adeboye For 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.