Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,968 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? (6430 Views)

How To Survive 2016 Expected Economic Hardship / Man Must Survive, See What This Lady Is Doing To Survive / 12 Ways To Survive In Nigeria As A Young Unemployed Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by SweetT1: 1:03am On Apr 26, 2008
Hey my people, i have a dream of starting a Biotech Company in Nigeria in a short while. What do you think of its survival? Is DNA and Bio infos in effects in Nigeria yet?? Please feed me with info if you got any ideas as per Locations, supports or any informations. Thanks !
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by 4Him1(m): 1:04am On Apr 26, 2008
Dont worry, you'd be forced out of business in less than 5 yrs.

1 Like

Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by wendymanda: 1:06am On Apr 26, 2008
I honestly think that is an important investment the government should pursue and any scientific initiative as such. However since they won't I think others should start. All in all yes I think it would be a great idea. Maybe others will follow your footsteps and setup other science related things.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by SweetT1: 1:15am On Apr 26, 2008
@4him

Any evidence, please? This is a BIG goal of mine and i only want constructive dismissal or support.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by wendymanda: 1:19am On Apr 26, 2008
4 Him:

Dont worry, you'd be forced out of business in less than 5 years.

But why!!
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by 4Him1(m): 1:52am On Apr 26, 2008
The first thing you shld ask yourself - where's your client base?
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by wendymanda: 1:54am On Apr 26, 2008
Universities and such. Also with such a venture could up for more research. The start of something good.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by 4Him1(m): 1:58am On Apr 26, 2008
Wendy wake up from your slumber, which nigerian university is into research?
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by SweetT1: 3:43am On Apr 26, 2008
@4him

But don't you think Nigeria society will need some kind of Biotechnology in the nearest future as our society is getting complex and health care systems is getting worrisome. For example I believe there are many Nigerian men that will want to know the paternity results for their children.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by wendymanda: 4:10am On Apr 26, 2008
4 Him:

Wendy wake up from your slumber, which nigerian university is into research?

Don't you think at some point we need to start looking more into science in Nigeria? MAybe he has other Nigerian friends that were interested in funding.

Look at North Korea even though they are cut off from so many countries they have nuclear weapons. If the Nigerian government would put more interest into science we could improve our country. Imagine if more people went aborad to do the sciences and then returned we would flourish so much more.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by 4Him1(m): 6:09am On Apr 26, 2008
you people are behaving as if you are from another planet. You know your leaders, they would rather steal money than act like the Koreans.
We cant generate more than 3000MW of power with all our oil, gas and dam and you are here talking of Biotechnology.

How many Nigerian university graduates can accurately define DNA?
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by wendymanda: 6:14am On Apr 26, 2008
4 Him:

you people are behaving as if you are from another planet. You know your leaders, they would rather steal money than act like the Koreans.
We can't generate more than 3000MW of power with all our oil, gas and dam and you are here talking of Biotechnology.

How many Nigerian university graduates can accurately define DNA?

We have to start at some point or atleast entertain and act on such an idea. There is a 50% chance it may work and another 50% it may not. I think the poster should get into with a university and tell them of this and go from their. He could even setup the business through the school and go from their. I just think it is really sad that we are not partaking something as important as science.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by 4Him1(m): 6:21am On Apr 26, 2008
Universities in Nigeria are appendages of government. These people dont generate their own revenue and thus dont have the incentive to undertake any form of research.
A couple of friends and I once floated this idea of a private science institute somewhere in Lagos, it died a natural death . . . the market is just not there. Where would you get the workforce? This halfbaked graduates?

Ok talk of infrastructure . . . will you run the company on generators? Remember that you need to operate controlled temperature rooms 24/7.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by wendymanda: 6:33am On Apr 26, 2008
@ 4HIM You have very good points there but I think there are very many different ways of approaching it. It might ultimately make this idea not seem viable but if we are really interested in putting Nigeria on the map then we have to start somewhere.

Firstly on the point of energy include a solar energy initiative with this biotech agenda. Also a private institute which will not churn out a bunch of half baked scientists could be what this company is started on. If many of the wealthy Nigerians get involved this could work. If many Nigerians will realize the importance of wealth that is.

Also why not start such things somewhere other than Lagos to alleviate some of the craziness? If other states are given the opportunity things such as these may take off faster.

I know a professor that travels to Ghana annually with students as a study abroad but she does it more as a way to help the people in Ho. She takes money and the student and she invests it in hospitals, nursing schools and farms just things that will allow the money to rotate and churn out something good. In saying this if some other Nigerians with good business skills and belief in science look into this and participate it may work like this forum.

I bet some people laughed at Seun when he wanted to start this but now it has taken off.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by 4Him1(m): 6:47am On Apr 26, 2008
@ 4HIM You have very good points there but I think there are very many different ways of approaching it. It might ultimately make this idea not seem viable but if we are really interested in putting Nigeria on the map then we have to start somewhere.

"putting Nigeria on the map" is not something that one man can unilaterally achieve. It requires the concerted effort of all and sundry starting from those we elect into office for this singular purpose. Unless you have billions of dollars to waste, your primary aim of setting up a business is to make profit and not to put nigeria on a map.

Firstly on the point of energy include a solar energy initiative with this biotech agenda.

Even in the US, serious multinational companies dont run on solar energy. Its not a viable source of power.

Also a private institute which will not churn out a bunch of half baked scientists could be what this company is started on.

Is the goal of this institute to become a private science university? Where will you import the lecturers from? Have you factored in the cost of equipment?

If many of the wealthy Nigerians get involved this could work. If many Nigerians will realize the importance of wealth that is.

History tells us Nigerians are only interested in looting the treasury.

Also why not start such things somewhere other than Lagos to alleviate some of the craziness? If other states are given the opportunity things such as these may take off faster.

It is foolhardy, Lagos is the economic nerve center of the nation. If your company is profit-oriented then you dont want to go site your company in Kebbi state.

I bet some people laughed at Seun when he wanted to start this but now it has taken off.

This is completely different. Any kid can set up a website with little or no start up cost. If NEPA takes light in Seun's house you will still be able to log into nairaland.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by wendymanda: 7:13am On Apr 26, 2008

"putting Nigeria on the map" is not something that one man can unilaterally achieve. It requires the concerted effort of all and sundry starting from those we elect into office for this singular purpose. Unless you have billions of dollars to waste, your primary aim of setting up a business is to make profit and not to put nigeria on a map.

Well since we are aware that the government are not interested in necessary things such as these we can use other ways. Most of the major biotech companies I know of (in America) were not aided by the government. You're right, a business is to make a profit and not put Nigeria on a map but both can be achieved in the sense that if this works other African countries might take interest enough to work with this company. Other African countries that lack such technology would do business with this company. I say this because Jamaica lacks such but Barbados has it so Jamaica works together with Barbados.

Even in the US, serious multinational companies don't run on solar energy. Its not a viable source of power.
Some companies have started using solar energy. Even a trash collection company has employed solar energy and if the investment is made early then it is better. Many American companies are getting into solar energy but not as quickly as one might think. Sweden and Germany I think have made major istrides in solar energy.

Is the goal of this institute to become a private science university? Where will you import the lecturers from? Have you factored in the cost of equipment?
If there are no Nigerian universities that are into Biotechnology then it might make more sense to start a private one that will churn out people who will use this technology. Also I find it really hard to believe that in the whole Nigeria there is no one that is knowledgeable at all in biotechnology. I also assume that the person who wants to start the business understands it and may know people willing to teach it but it is all assumptions. In the case of equipment that man who wants to start the business would have to factor it in himself.

History tells us Nigerians are only interested in looting the treasury.

And history is correct but I think the person who wants to start such a business would have known this and therefore must have thought of ways to thwart or limit the looting.

It is foolhardy, Lagos is the economic nerve center of the nation. If your company is profit-oriented then you don't want to go site your company in Kebbi state.

I think if everything is not congested in one congested place then maybe it will have a chance. The problem with Nigeria is that everyone wants to start something another person already thought of. Since the company will not begin as a mega firm if started somewhere not crazy then maybe it can be run in a less frantic nature. Many mega companies start out as small business ventures and reestablish when they begin booming

This is completely different. Any kid can set up a website with little or no start up cost. If NEPA takes light in Seun's house you will still be able to log into nairaland.

While this might be different there are similarities like people constantly pronouncing things dead before it is born.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by ayinba1(f): 2:33pm On Apr 27, 2008
@POSTER,

Biotechnology is definitely feasible and profitable in Nigeria. I will however say that startup will be capital intensive, not only in Nigeria, anywhere.

With a solid financial backing, good technical know how and great management skills, it is a gold mine.

Source: Meself, being very interested in this fieldĀ  wink
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by twiboy(m): 6:33pm On Apr 27, 2008
what are you all talking about?
if you can not help then you should not take the time to post
the poster writes "biotechnology"
what area exactly?
what customers
what ends
products ? info , meds new generics, basic research
what do you mean?
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by ayinba1(f): 7:05pm On Apr 27, 2008
Shuo!!! Read the first post and take it easy
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by obua: 8:19am On Apr 28, 2008
Bio Tech is a broad field.
Define your products and services . Are you going to service the medical or agro industry ?
Some Biotech firms are already here in Nigeria
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by Goldenmeda(m): 11:06am On Jul 21, 2011
yes it can, there is dis guy dt I knew at High Rocks Prenatal diagnosis Centre Lagos is THE FIRST PERSON TO RUN PRENATAL
DIAGNOSIS sucessfully IN NIGERIA, is into dis biotechnology in full, if u can contact him I think H will give u enough info about how u are going to move since He knew much about people that w need ur product.
I dnt hv his number but i hv his email soriginf@gmail.com.
I hope dis w help
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by charlesodenore: 10:38am On Feb 13, 2013
biotechnology is very feasible and lucrative in nigeria, if only u can start off by not chasing after profits! D prob in our country is dt we give up easily nd allow poverty dictate to us. U can start by a feasibility study esp in agric nd power sector...im so interested in dis and kudos to u
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by laivwire(m): 4:54pm On Jul 17, 2013
I hope this dream didnt go on a hiatus as this thread. I believe biotech is a welcome and developing in field in nigeria that has high prospects. I'm about going for my masters in biotech and though all I hear are discouraging remarks, I know and believe deep down within me I'm going to make it in the field. A biotech company under proper management and focus on a specific area at the beginning targeting certain markets is sure to make it.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by mioracle: 11:19pm On Jul 31, 2013
You should ask other biotechnologists and proffessors of the subject to merge their resources for the establishment of a private research institute where any interested person will register with the institute and also pay to carry out his/her individual research. Many students and lecturers will gladly pay to make use of the research facility.
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by dafuturis(m): 11:36pm On Apr 09, 2015
Biotech is my dream workplace, sad Nigeria aint helping

am presently a biochemistry masters student - Uniben

We have the technical know how 'judging from my school' the problem is just lack of basic infrastructure that are now seen in some part of the world as natural resources "a 17 year old in the US thought electricity was natural, obviously because she has never seen it go off"

Nigeria gat to wake up.

1 Like

Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by dollarathe(m): 2:13pm On Mar 20, 2016
dafuturis:
Biotech is my dream workplace, sad Nigeria aint helping

am presently a biochemistry masters student - Uniben

We have the technical know how 'judging from my school' the problem is just lack of basic infrastructure that are now seen in some part of the world as natural resources "a 17 year old in the US thought electricity was natural, obviously because she has never seen it go off"

Nigeria gat to wake up.
I ll love to know you, discuss with you, am also a biochemistry graduate with love for biotechnology... I ve sent a bbm request to d pin on ur profile
Re: Can A Biotech Company Survive In Nigeria? by charlyy: 9:14am On Nov 11, 2019
Bio technology,Enzymology in Nigeria?www.archimedesenzymes.com

(1) (Reply)

Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? / List Of Uk Clearance Stores / What Do I Invest 100k With or what kind of business can i do with 100k Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.