Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,567 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

A Perfect Naming Ceremony. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Perfect Naming Ceremony. (5835 Views)

Reasons Why Bride Is Happier Than Groom During Wedding Ceremony / Lol. This Is A Perfect Definition Of Wife Material. (picture) / How Do You Decribe A Perfect Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by jeffizy(m): 12:32am On May 24, 2013
The joy of a having a new born knows no boundary. From the 1st month of pregnancy ,the baby becomes the most popular member in the family , even though unseen.

My culture demands that a new-born must be named on the 8th day after being ushered to the world. And with it comes some expectations.

In my place,it is celebrated with fun-fare and all the fireworks. It is believed that a new born ushers good-luck into the family he/she is born into.
It is expected that one should kill a goat,even if you have a fat-cow tied for the same ceremony.
Also, prayers are offered to put the baby in the creator's hands for his/her life's sojourn.

What is the idea of your perfect naming ceremony ?

cc: lalasticlala, nlfpmod

1 Like

Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by MMotimo: 12:48am On May 24, 2013
Hooray, we have a new launching pad thread cheesy
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by jeffizy(m): 1:05am On May 24, 2013
Hehehe...
@MMotimo....This is filled with disinfectants and anti- venom virus o. grin

2 Likes

Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by greatgod2012(f): 6:06am On May 24, 2013
Yeah, the joy of new born baby is worth celebrating, infact to any length, but, we as a family, dont really lay it upon urselves to MUST do it the way the society or some other people are doing it, our key to the celebration is AFFORDABILITY. Each time we have a new-born, we are very happy, but we celebrate and conduct the naming ceremony with what we could afford, we invite pastors to help us conduct the naming, use prayers to usher in the new born into the world and entertain the guests with what we could afford to do, it isnt a must for us to kill neither a ram or goat or a cow, if its fish or meat we can afford at the point in time, we offer it. We believe that the most important aspect of the naming ceremony is the christening time, i mean, the time the name (s)of the baby is announced to the public.........., every other aspect is mere ceremonial feferity.
What happens to the baby in terms of caring and nurturing after the naming ceremony is what is really relevant to us as a family.
However, im not trying to condemn those who spend billions of dollars on naming ceremonies, if one can afford it, there is nothing wrong with however one desire to conduct naming cermony, children are precious gifts and they worth any amount spent on them or on their behalf, but AFFORDABILITY is my own concern here.
May God help us all.

5 Likes

Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by biolabee(m): 7:16am On May 24, 2013
1 like cheesy cheesy

greatgod2012: Yeah, the joy of new born baby is worth celebrating, infact to any length, but, we as a family, dont really lay it upon urselves to MUST do it the way the society or some other people are doing it, our key to the celebration is AFFORDABILITY. Each time we have a new-born, we are very happy, but we celebrate and conduct the naming ceremony with what we could afford, we invite pastors to help us conduct the naming, use prayers to usher in the new born into the world and entertain the guests with what we could afford to do, it isnt a must for us to kill neither a ram or goat or a cow, if its fish or meat we can afford at the point in time, we offer it. We believe that the most important aspect of the naming ceremony is the christening time, i mean, the time the name (s)of the baby is announced to the public.........., every other aspect is mere ceremonial feferity.
What happens to the baby in terms of caring and nurturing after the naming ceremony is what is really relevant to us as a family.
However, im not trying to condemn those who spend billions of dollars on naming ceremonies, if one can afford it, there is nothing wrong with however one desire to conduct naming cermony, children are precious gifts and they worth any amount spent on them or on their behalf, but AFFORDABILITY is my own concern here.
May God help us all.
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by Nobody: 7:28am On May 24, 2013
Naming ceremony? We don't do that. whenever one puts to bed,the next is what is baby's name and there u go!but we can do child dedication. family members,friends and well wishers can go to church with u.at times u may want them to go home with u for item 7,but some will decline.

1 Like

Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by jeffizy(m): 8:15am On May 24, 2013
I am surely learning one or two things already.

I have seen cases where some parents are seriously warned not to make a fan-fare on such a day inorder to keep the baby's future bright! shocked

I cant confirm this,but i heard of some tradition where you as a guest must pour powder on your neck when you go to visit a newborn. grin
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by biolabee(m): 8:18am On May 24, 2013
jeffizy: I am surely learning one or two things already.

I have seen cases where some parents are seriously warned not to make a fan-fare on such a day inorder to keep the baby's future bright! shocked

I cant confirm this,but i heard of some tradition where you as a guest must pour powder on your neck when you go to visit a newborn. grin

yes this also even happens too even for wedding ceremonies...
this is afrika! cheesy
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by jeffizy(m): 8:32am On May 24, 2013
biolabee:

yes this also even happens too even for wedding ceremonies.. cheesy
You are correct.
I don't think my kids will like to hear I didn't 'show joy' on their naming day.

2 Likes

Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by juman(m): 9:47am On May 24, 2013
Of course joyful day, always celebrated.

But the celebration should be with moderation in order not to run in to debt. grin
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by biolabee(m): 10:09am On May 24, 2013
jeffizy:
You are correct.
I don't think my kids will like to hear I didn't 'show joy' on their naming day.

true... but its usually more of the crowd and 'harmful' people
you dont know people's intentions though we are all smiling....

this is afrika (oh as the late Fela said) A fi ri ika (we have seen wickedness)
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by Nobody: 10:16am On May 24, 2013
Perfect naming ceremony? let's say I go to scan, we check the sex and name the child, reserving a name of the opposite sex in case of surprises. My kids bear their names from my womb,as we refer to the child in his name even when he is still unborn.we only do child dedication.
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by EveryLadY(f): 11:02am On May 24, 2013
jeffizy: I am surely learning one or two things already.

@bolded,it is not a culture or tradition.But we use white powder to announce the arrival of a new born in our community.the white powder can be on ur face or neck.its just for people to see it and know there is a new entrant to the community by way of birth.
IMO,i agree with greatgod2012's post.Announcing the child's name to the public is the zenith of the celebration since name is the summary of a man's destiny.
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 24, 2013
My parents named me in the hospital immediately I was born. embarassed embarassed embarassed
If my husband approves, i'm towing the same line. No time for unnecessary parrying! lipsrsealed
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by MMotimo: 1:12am On May 25, 2013
We didn't have any ceremony for any of our children but I doubt that would have been possible if we lived in Naija.

Frankly, I found the lack of traditional naming, liberating. We did the child dedications at church though but that was months after birth and no party afterwards.
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by jeffizy(m): 3:12am On May 25, 2013
Ok , MMot .
To anyone reading this thread, i have witnessed a naming ceremony in Ondo state - ilaje community to be precise- where the new born was put in a basin and pushed into a lake!
Tradition has it that a true son/daughter of the family will not drown in such a situation. But if the baby was a b**tard, the water washes him/her away.
Naming ceremony commence only after this basic test.

How frightening can that be?
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 25, 2013
Husband &I are already picking colours to wear on our first baby's Naming ceremony. It's a MUST do.
May God let us hear the voice of the mother and child, and husband's voice sef should not crack....
Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by jeffizy(m): 5:25pm On May 25, 2013
Rukemi291: Husband &I are already picking colours to wear on our first baby's Naming ceremony. It's a MUST do.
May God let us hear the voice of the mother and child, and husband's voice sef should not crack....
A big amen to that sis.
May i also add that the coming of the new born will usher in good things for your family.
A gbohun iya, a gbohun omo o.
Amen.

1 Like

Re: A Perfect Naming Ceremony. by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 27, 2013
Aaaaaaammmiiiiiiiin oooooooo. Thank you much

(1) (Reply)

His Mother Finally Died Due To His Wife Ignorance / Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? / Who Should You Put First, Family Or Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.