Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,484 members, 7,801,231 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:42 PM

What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. (8822 Views)

Wealth: 10 Quranic Teaching / Health Is Wealth: 10 Health Benefits Of The Ramadan Fast / Uphold The Sunnah- Visit The Ill/sick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by tbaba1234: 3:28pm On May 24, 2013
This is a broad subject and there are many angles and scenarios. This thread seems to only focus on one case, direct theft.

Ill gotten wealth transcends that . It could as 'harmless' as receiving interest on your bank balance without your knowledge or actually doing business with haram materials.

The outline of things to do can possibly be applied to more than one scenario though.

In sha Allah, we can have a more detailed discussion on this in the future because it is a very important topic.

JazakAllahu Khairan.
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by deols(f): 3:45pm On May 24, 2013
^^^You are right. Mustay pointed out that there are other ways of getting wealth the wrong way and I agree.

The main idea of the thread is to discuss the way out. Paying a little in charity, paying zakaat out of it or trying corrupt means out must be discouraged.
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by cold(m): 3:49pm On May 24, 2013
[quote author=deols

4. Serve your sentence- this is very important. Many try even corrupt means to evade their sentencing, thereby accumulating more sins. Never forget that the punishment of Allah is graver, more severe. With you allowing the law to take its course, the likelihood of God forgiving you is even higher. A person who is yet to be caught doesn't have to present himself for sentencing
.[/quote]
This is just an oversimplification of a cancerous issue that has eaten deep into the fabric of our society. When you say Allah's punishment will be greater,what exactly do you mean? Take Farouq for example who has been indicted on corruption charges,yet he vehemently denies it & has employed all sorts of underhand tactics to evade conviction by a court of competent jurisdiction. A man who visits Mecca for both the lesser & greater hajj,prays 5 times a day,observes the ramadan fast & every other Islamic ritual,yet steals like a common thief to assuage his depravity simply can't be bothered about Allah's punishment because..
1. He knows Allah does not exist & is just a figment of ones imagination.
2. Even if he does exist,he simply can't be bothered about how much you steal so long as you pay zakat.
If Muslims were so concerned about their fate in Allah's hands they wouldn't continually plunder our commonwealth so perversely.
Your argument Alhaja deols is hollow,shallow and too parochial for any serious minded individual
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by Mustay(m): 4:02pm On May 24, 2013
deols:

The attitude of stealing a large sum and then paying a little in charity should be discouraged.

Imams (especially those who don't) need to emphasize the "H" when it comes to this too. The idea of 'skipping' the part of one's source of donation to charity is not ideal - am saying this esepcially when they host political office holders although the admonition isn't limited to this class; Nigeria's situation however makes me point this out. In fact, when it comes to the personality & post of an Imam, this person needs to be like an auditor - independednt and free from external influences if you know what I mean.

Similarly, if you withdraw the interest from your bank and give it to beggars, scholars say you should not consider this charity, how much less stealing, embezzlement, money laundering et al. The shariah forbids these things due to their larger effects on the society - skewed distribution of wealth is one among the consequences.

People should not hide under the pretext of using a bad source to do good via masjids - like money laundering too, the source is bad but the criminal channels the distribution to 'investment' areas in his/her own belief of 'repentance'.
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by Mustay(m): 4:09pm On May 24, 2013
tbaba1234:
In sha Allah, we can have a more detailed discussion on this in the future because it is a very important topic.

JazakAllahu Khairan.

Do well sir to publish these sources on this thread please - I acknowledge your research, archiving and publishing skills here. wink
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by deols(f): 4:15pm On May 24, 2013
@cold
*You agree that trying to evade justice is bad and you described it as cancerous.

*Someone who goes to hajj, etc is hopeful that Allah would forgive him. He however needs to do the needful, as enumerated above to get Allah's forgiveness.

*If he believes Allah does not exist, he won't need to go for the hajj and do all you mentioned above. You contradicted yourself.

*You are soo wrong about the zakaat part. Nothing in Islam allows you to pay zakaat from stolen money. In fact, Islam is strict witj regards to how money is made.

You seem though to be trying to say that people who steal are not religious. There is a big possibility that non religious people would more likely engage in such acts since they don't believe in the punishment of the hereafter.

1 Like

Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by deols(f): 4:24pm On May 24, 2013
Mustay:

Imams (especially those who don't) need to emphasize the "H" when it comes to this too. The idea of 'skipping' the part of one's source of donation to charity is not ideal - am saying this esepcially when they host political office holders although the admonition isn't limited to this class; Nigeria's situation however makes me point this out. In fact, when it comes to the personality & post of an Imam, this person needs to be like an auditor - independednt and free from external influences if you know what I mean.

Similarly, if you withdraw the interest from your bank and give it to beggars, scholars say you should not consider this charity, how much less stealing, embezzlement, money laundering et al. The shariah forbids these things due to their larger effects on the society - skewed distribution of wealth is one among the consequences.

People should not hide under the pretext of using a bad source to do good via masjids - like money laundering too, the source is bad but the criminal channels the distribution to 'investment' areas in his/her own belief of 'repentance'.

need I say more?
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by cold(m): 4:42pm On May 24, 2013
deols: @cold
*If he believes Allah does not exist, he won't need to go for the hajj and do all you mentioned above. You contradicted yourself.

*You are soo wrong about the zakaat part. Nothing in Islam allows you to pay zakaat from stolen money. In fact, Islam is strict witj regards to ho

You seem though to be trying to say that people who steal are not religious. There is a big possibility that non religious people would more likely engage in such acts since they don't believe in the punishment of the hereafter.

Correction..i am saying it is a whole lot easier for religious people to steal because the concept of forgiveness makes it so easy to commit whatever crime no matter how heinous & beg for forgiveness & all will be forgiven. Why can't Allah stop the act before it is committed rather than wait for some petty prayers for forgiveness? Surely you would agree with me that if Allah stopped an evil act before it is perpetrated,this world would be a much better place.
ON the issue of contradictions,pray tell, why would so called pious Muslims continue to pillage the nation's resources alongside their Christian counterparts if they knew they enormity of their actions & the consequences therein? Shouldn't they know better?
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by adebayo6(m): 4:43pm On May 24, 2013
Ill-gotten wealth don't really mean a ritualist or 'polithiefians' as much thought... Bt who no dey do parol for office or shop? Even iya simbi sef wey dey sell garri don repackage hin derica... Or all these lecturer wey be say na 'No Money/Handout no good grade'.... My people... Nobody holy pass Ooº°˚ *2face tone*
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by Anyi3(m): 5:29pm On May 24, 2013
is baba Ijebu ill gotten?
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by Mustay(m): 7:18pm On May 24, 2013
Yes. That's lottery, just like raffle draws.
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by deols(f): 8:48pm On May 24, 2013
cold:

Correction..i am saying it is a whole lot easier for religious people to steal because the concept of forgiveness makes it so easy to commit whatever crime no matter how heinous & beg for forgiveness & all will be forgiven. Why can't Allah stop the act before it is committed rather than wait for some petty prayers for forgiveness? Surely you would agree with me that if Allah stopped an evil act before it is perpetrated,this world would be a much better place.
ON the issue of contradictions,pray tell, why would so called pious Muslims continue to pillage the nation's resources alongside their Christian counterparts if they knew they enormity of their actions & the consequences therein? Shouldn't they know better?

Actually not. Religious people know that the steps towards forgiveness are hard to take and would therefore rather not engage in those acts.

Returning the loot, seeking forgiveness and making up their mind on never doing it again are not easy acts.

Anyone who fails to do these is aware of the punishment of the hereafter and will therefore either stay away from onset, face the.embarrassment of.seeking forgiveness and paying back or wait until judgement day for the more severe punishment.

1 Like

Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by deols(f): 8:50pm On May 24, 2013
adebayo6: Ill-gotten wealth don't really mean a ritualist or 'polithiefians' as much thought... Bt who no dey do parol for office or shop? Even iya simbi sef wey dey sell garri don repackage hin derica... Or all these lecturer wey be say na 'No Money/Handout no good grade'.... My people... Nobody holy pass Ooº°˚ *2face tone*

You assume everyone does this but I am sure not everyone does.

This mentality will keep our nation rotten and should be avoided.

1 Like

Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by adebayo6(m): 9:08pm On May 24, 2013
deols:

You assume everyone does this but I am sure not everyone does.

This mentality will keep our nation rotten and should be avoided.
Then we have a long way to go. May God help us.
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by Lekmosh(m): 7:49am On May 25, 2013
The problem in the first place is that The Devil has blindfolded them
Re: What To Do About Your Ill-gotten Wealth. by uzoexcel(m): 1:42pm On May 25, 2013
u have never heard of the Cayman Islands

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Muslims Should Visit Cemeteries Regularly - Salihu Ajetunmobi / Naming Ceremony / Why Can I Not Have A Muslim Girlfriend!!!????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.